Truth is a White Lie

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reconstructo

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 07:45 pm
@Reconstructo,
I completely respect your attitude. I found your last post dignified and quite ....persuasive. Smile

jeeprs

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 07:57 pm
@Reconstructo,
Thanks, Reconstructo. (I had posted a video called the Argument Clinic here, but then decided it was of dubious relevance, and moved it to my blog. But it is worth a watch.)

Fido

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 09:57 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;108970 wrote:
Truths are lies that work. Lies are truths that don't work.

What does it mean to work? In the end it gives us pleasure. Perhaps it secures us food, builds us a better bomb and makes us feel safer. Perhaps it dazzles our mind. Perhaps it enhances our self-esteem. Perhaps it structures our experience in a pleasant way.

To call truth a lie is to insist on its dynamic nature. The truth changes.

There is nothing white about the truth...It is covered with blood...

Reconstructo

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 11:11 pm
@Fido,
Fido;109460 wrote:
There is nothing white about the truth...It is covered with blood...

Indeed it is, for possession of the "truth" is usually courage enhancing if it doesn't give one a better gun.

kennethamy

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 11:28 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;109425 wrote:
Fair comment. I was being a little disingenuous perhaps. OK, I *am* out to persuade. I would like to be on the winning side of the argument.

But, the problem is that by your own criterion you have a bad argument, since the argument for the conclusion that an argument is a good argument only if it persuades seems to persuade no one (I am not sure even you).

Of course, a bad argument may, nevertheless, have a true conclusion. Logically speaking, the argument that if an argument is a bad argument, then it must have a false conclusion, is a very bad argument. But who knows, since by your lights, such an argument may be found to be persuasive?

Reconstructo

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 11:33 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;109493 wrote:
But, the problem is that by your own criterion you have a bad argument, since the argument for the conclusion that an argument is a good argument only if it persuades seems to persuade no one (I am not sure even you).

The point in this case is motive, I believe. Why do we bother airing our opinions in the first place?

kennethamy

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 11:45 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;109494 wrote:
The point in this case is motive, I believe. Why do we bother airing our opinions in the first place?

I imagine there are a good number of different reasons. But what point is motive?

Reconstructo

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 11:49 pm
@Reconstructo,
Why we say is related to what we say. It's the same with belief.

We are social animals.

AND
Don't you think motive effects what we decide is true? Do we not tend to believe what we want to believe?

kennethamy

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 11:57 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;109503 wrote:
Why we say is related to what we say. It's the same with belief.

We are social animals.

AND
Don't you think motive effects what we decide is true? Do we not tend to believe what we want to believe?

Sometimes, and sometimes not. It depends on how rational we want to be. But, I am afraid that wishful and magical thinking is more pervasive than we would like it to be.

Reconstructo

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 11:59 pm
@Reconstructo,
But perhaps it's wishful thinking for us to think we can escape wishful thinking.....

jeeprs

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 03:35 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;109509 wrote:
Sometimes, and sometimes not. It depends on how rational we want to be. But, I am afraid that wishful and magical thinking is more pervasive than we would like it to be.

Speak for yourself! It is not nearly prevalent enough as far as I am concerned.

---------- Post added 12-09-2009 at 08:38 PM ----------

Don't worry Ken I am just trying to get a rise out of you...:bigsmile:

Fido

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 06:15 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;109485 wrote:
Indeed it is, for possession of the "truth" is usually courage enhancing if it doesn't give one a better gun.

Like God; the truth is a good excuse to kill people... Maybe te truth is that we want to kill others and take what is theirs...

Reconstructo

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 02:50 pm
@Fido,
Fido;109565 wrote:
Like God; the truth is a good excuse to kill people... Maybe te truth is that we want to kill others and take what is theirs...

There's more truth in that than most folks like to admit. And this ties in to my criticism of Nietzsche. He raged against the white-wash not noticing that the guns never cease. Where is this sheep-like humanity he rages against?

I don't see much pity out there. Welfare states are largely about the prevention of revolution or the control of public health. And if a majority votes for more bread and circuses, it's not exactly pity.

And how often is the claim of pity the mask of grinning superiority? It was gentle Nietzsche who had a problem with pity. Nietzsche was a brilliant woman who wore a large mustache.

Fido

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 05:25 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;109633 wrote:
There's more truth in that than most folks like to admit. And this ties in to my criticism of Nietzsche. He raged against the white-wash not noticing that the guns never cease. Where is this sheep-like humanity he rages against?

I don't see much pity out there. Welfare states are largely about the prevention of revolution or the control of public health. And if a majority votes for more bread and circuses, it's not exactly pity.

And how often is the claim of pity the mask of grinning superiority? It was gentle Nietzsche who had a problem with pity. Nietzsche was a brilliant woman who wore a large mustache.

They are all sheep until the wolf is brought out of them... Give people enough and they are just fine...They will live with injustice if they have enough justice, but give them a chance, and out comes the dog...I was watching a documentary about the first world war, and where it began and was first waged the peaceful people in their peasant garb were hung up, men, women and children... Those people must have resorted to mass killings...They had concrete posts set in the ground for the purpose of mass executions...Down dog...
People who think we are different don't know history...The poor do not just fight back with morality, but some times with the greatest immorality, which means they are no different than Herr Superman...

Reconstructo

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 05:42 pm
@Reconstructo,
Exactly! It's the same human animal. The saint contains the murderer, and the murderer the saint. This is the sublimity of the myth of original sin.

Civilization is founded upon the full belly and sense of safety. What starving man is not a revolutionary?

I'm sure Germany thought it could never descend into such barbarism as the Nazis brought, and yet extreme poverty is breeding ground for every sort of brutality. You better annihilate an enemy before leaving him alive and desperate (post-WW1 conditions breeding WW2).

kennethamy

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 06:16 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;109511 wrote:
But perhaps it's wishful thinking for us to think we can escape wishful thinking.....

I don't think so. People do so all the time.

George phil

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 06:24 pm
@Reconstructo,
nothing is truly true. Oe cannot prove that something is a fact, facts may exist, but noone has proven the have found one, so in essence, if it isn't true what is it. A lie is something which is proven to not be the truth, but if we cannot concieve of any truths, we cannot concieve lies. Thus a truth is not a white lie as a truth is nothing similar to a white lie. Is nothing the same as nothing,m we cannot concieve nothing so i can't answer this, thus cannot answer the question

Reconstructo

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 06:34 pm
@George phil,
George;109670 wrote:
nothing is truly true. Oe cannot prove that something is a fact, facts may exist, but noone has proven the have found one, so in essence, if it isn't true what is it. A lie is something which is proven to not be the truth, but if we cannot concieve of any truths, we cannot concieve lies. Thus a truth is not a white lie as a truth is nothing similar to a white lie. Is nothing the same as nothing,m we cannot concieve nothing so i can't answer this, thus cannot answer the question

I suggest you look up the terms "ironist" and "negative capability" to get an idea of what I mean by "truth is a white lie." You must consider the use of metaphor and irony.

kennethamy

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 06:44 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;109671 wrote:
I suggest you look up the terms "ironist" and "negative capability" to get an idea of what I mean by "truth is a white lie." You must consider the use of metaphor and irony.

As long as it does nto imply that truth is false, I am content.

Reconstructo

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 06:48 pm
@Reconstructo,
I'm the curious type. I like to learn. I would probably want to understand what my dialectical opponent was saying. I would probably look up those terms, as they are quite significant to this thread.

I feel like I understand your position. I don't think the reverse is true.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/07/2024 at 07:06:40