Distribution of Fear in Christianity

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 10:26 am
@Solace,
Solace wrote:
Well, what can I say? Except you're the one who said that one cannot be a Christian without believing that Christ existed, no matter what else that person believes. You're the one that said that such a person has less faith. By saying these things you put the existential aspects of your religion above the rest.

Because everyone who believes in Christ's message of love and hope, but can't wrap their head around the idea of a dead man walking, don't deserve the wonderous Christian mantle. And that person's faith is much less significant than the sychophants who suck at the church's preverbial teats and cry, "Look at the wonderful things that Mother Church has done for us!" (but God forbid you look at the any of the truly dispicable things she has done).

One who believes in christs ressurection but not in what he says is not a christian. and vice versa. That is my view. Stop being so bigoted.

ariciunervos

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 10:44 am
@Solace,
Solace wrote:
Actually one could make the argument (from a school of thought that is quite rationally backed by scripture,) that only because the supposed converted continue to sin is Christ's sacrifice made meaningless. [...]

From JC's point of view, maybe. But if I remember correctly, the sacrifice was made to forgive both past AND future sins, and without future sins there's no need for JC any more, hence the need for an original sin.

Solace

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 10:53 am
@avatar6v7,
One who believes in christs ressurection but not in what he says is not a christian. and vice versa. That is my view. Stop being so bigoted.

Well your view is better clarified here than before. And not to play mocking bird, but the way you presented your view previously also seemed bigoted.

Solace

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 10:58 am
@ariciunervos,
ariciunervos wrote:
From JC's point of view, maybe. But if I remember correctly, the sacrifice was made to forgive both past AND future sins, and without future sins there's no need for JC any more, hence the need for an original sin.

Well that's a great way to look at it. "Thanks Jesus for saving me, but I'm there now so I don't need you anymore. So just piss off already!"

ariciunervos

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 11:04 am
@Solace,
Solace wrote:
Well that's a great way to look at it. "Thanks Jesus for saving me, but I'm there now so I don't need you anymore. So just piss off already!"

Funny stuff, but I didn't mean it from an individual's point of view but from JC's. Let me clarify.

me wrote:

But if I remember correctly, the sacrifice was made to forgive both past AND future sins [relative to the crucifixion moment], and without future sins there's no need for JC any more, hence the need for an original sin.

So if at one point humanity decides to stop "sinning" then JC's crucifixion becomes useless. So even if we all live like saints there's still the inherited sin explicitly formulated to prevent this from happening.

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 11:12 am
@Solace,
Solace wrote:
Well your view is better clarified here than before. And not to play mocking bird, but the way you presented your view previously also seemed bigoted.

Only because you decided it was. I see it as an attack upon my faith to take its name to mean somthing that is practically it's opposite.

Solace

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 11:16 am
@avatar6v7,
Only because you decided it was. I see it as an attack upon my faith to take its name to mean somthing that is practically it's opposite.

I didn't decide how you were going to present your view. If you're going to present things in such a way that others naturally misinterpret your meaning, don't whine about "an attack upon my faith" when someone questions what you wrote.

Solace

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 11:23 am
@ariciunervos,
ariciunervos wrote:
So if at one point humanity decides to stop "sinning" then JC's crucifixion becomes useless. So even if we all live like saints there's still the inherited sin explicitly formulated to prevent this from happening.

Actually I'm not entirely certain if this concept of being cleansed of future sins is biblical. Certainly it isn't a commonly held belief within many churches. If it was then they wouldn't bother with confession, or, in the more protestant sense of things, they wouldn't bother to pray each day and ask for forgiveness for any sin that they commited recently. That all seems rather pointless if they believe that Christ died for their future sins, past the point in time of their conversion to Christianity.

ariciunervos

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 11:36 am
@Solace,
Solace wrote:
Actually I'm not entirely certain if this concept of being cleansed of future sins is biblical. Certainly it isn't a commonly held belief within many churches. If it was then they wouldn't bother with confession, or, in the more protestant sense of things, they wouldn't bother to pray each day and ask for forgiveness for any sin that they committed recently. That all seems rather pointless if they believe that Christ died for their future sins, past the point in time of their conversion to Christianity.

I'm not a Bible expert either but I oftenly hear people saying "JC sacrificed himself so our (present day) sins can be forgiven" and that one has to "embrace JC as one's saviour" in order to have this blanket of forgiveness cover one's sins. This "embracing" includes confession, praying, and whatever other crazy ass ritual the Church made up. Am I wrong ?

Solace

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 12:00 pm
@ariciunervos,
ariciunervos wrote:
I'm not a Bible expert either but I oftenly hear people saying "JC sacrificed himself so our (present day) sins can be forgiven" and that one has to "embrace JC as one's saviour" in order to have this blanket of forgiveness cover one's sins. This "embracing" includes confession, praying, and whatever other crazy ass ritual the Church made up. Am I wrong ?

Lol. So as not to speak for another, I'll let one who actually attends a church answer that. But, from what I can tell, your way of seeing this likens my own.

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 12:01 pm
@Solace,
Solace wrote:
I didn't decide how you were going to present your view. If you're going to present things in such a way that others naturally misinterpret your meaning, don't whine about "an attack upon my faith" when someone questions what you wrote.

No you decided that my view was so because it wasn't in line with your views.

Solace

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 12:12 pm
@avatar6v7,
No you decided that my view was so because it wasn't in line with your views.

Avatar, it seems that we are continuing to argue simply for the sake of argument. If you're saying here that I argued with you earlier because your view wasn't in line with mine, then obviously that is true. Isn't that why people usually argue anyway? But you clarifed what you meant and I have no further issue with it. For what insult you suffered for what I wrote, I apologize. So, please, let's just leave this as amicably as we can.

Icon

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 01:29 pm
@Justin,
My my gentlmen. Let's come to order. This is a discussion forum so let's not attack each other.

Let me first say that this is obviously a passionate subject for the both of you so let's step back from our own opinions for just a moment and take a few deep breathes.

Ok, let's continue. Semantics is a constant issue in philosophy because words are and ineffective way to communicate. Let's not fight over this and, instead, discuss as if we were open minded gentlemen with no obligation to our individual ideals. In other words, it's the internet, arguing is just silly. Discussion is the best we can hope for.

Let me see if I have a grasp on the situation:

Av: You are saying that your perception of Christianity is one who believes in JC as well as his teachings, his position as God's son and his death/ressurection.

Sol: I am not quite clear on your stance at this point. Please clarify.

to Av: I would typically agree with your stance of Christianity as that seems to be the foundation. However, there is always room for growth and we should stay open minded to that growth and change, regardless of our views of something. We cannot admit that we are right lest we fall into the trap of convincing ourselves that others are wrong. We must try, hard as it may be, to accept any view so long as it is presented with enough relevant data to support a logical argument for any length of time. That is the essence of philosophy. We are here to discover, not to teach. We are not Sophists.

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 01:36 pm
@Icon,
Icon wrote:
My my gentlmen. Let's come to order. This is a discussion forum so let's not attack each other.

Let me first say that this is obviously a passionate subject for the both of you so let's step back from our own opinions for just a moment and take a few deep breathes.

Ok, let's continue. Semantics is a constant issue in philosophy because words are and ineffective way to communicate. Let's not fight over this and, instead, discuss as if we were open minded gentlemen with no obligation to our individual ideals. In other words, it's the internet, arguing is just silly. Discussion is the best we can hope for.

Let me see if I have a grasp on the situation:

Av: You are saying that your perception of Christianity is one who believes in JC as well as his teachings, his position as God's son and his death/ressurection.

Sol: I am not quite clear on your stance at this point. Please clarify.

to Av: I would typically agree with your stance of Christianity as that seems to be the foundation. However, there is always room for growth and we should stay open minded to that growth and change, regardless of our views of something. We cannot admit that we are right lest we fall into the trap of convincing ourselves that others are wrong. We must try, hard as it may be, to accept any view so long as it is presented with enough relevant data to support a logical argument for any length of time. That is the essence of philosophy. We are here to discover, not to teach. We are not Sophists.

Sorry if I got a bit feirce, but I don't like it when people try and construe me as some kind of fanatic simply because of my view of the bible, which is a fairly flexible one at that. I agree that we need to grow and change, but the idea that you would ignore a huge chunk of the bible seems like the opposite to me, but thats just my view.
sorry if things got a bit heated

Icon

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 01:45 pm
@Justin,
Just trying to keep you guys out of trouble with the mods. Wink

It seems to me that there are more people who simple like the title of Christian than those who actually understand it. I spent a great deal of time researching many religions and undersatanding them from a historical, emperical, and theological stand point. This is why I claim no religion. I am simply not qualified to have a strong opinion towards one or another. They are all beautiful forms of written text which seem to have their own way of expressing very similar ideas. To me, if one wishes to choose a religion, it is his responsibility to understand the full breadth of their dedication and what they are dedicating themselves to. In my view, this means knowing there own as well as other religious ideas. A study of religion as a whole. I only say this because, as a christian would believe, we are gambling with our very eternal soul in this game. I would want to make a well educated choice.

I have no specific problem with any one religion but I definitely have more exposure to certain kinds. This has helped form my view. I rarely see christians in my region truly behave like christians. They behave more like a social club with exclusivity and a fraternity mentality. I would truly like to see a change in that ideas through education.

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 01:47 pm
@Icon,
Icon wrote:
Just trying to keep you guys out of trouble with the mods. Wink

It seems to me that there are more people who simple like the title of Christian than those who actually understand it. I spent a great deal of time researching many religions and undersatanding them from a historical, emperical, and theological stand point. This is why I claim no religion. I am simply not qualified to have a strong opinion towards one or another. They are all beautiful forms of written text which seem to have their own way of expressing very similar ideas. To me, if one wishes to choose a religion, it is his responsibility to understand the full breadth of their dedication and what they are dedicating themselves to. In my view, this means knowing there own as well as other religious ideas. A study of religion as a whole. I only say this because, as a christian would believe, we are gambling with our very eternal soul in this game. I would want to make a well educated choice.

I have no specific problem with any one religion but I definitely have more exposure to certain kinds. This has helped form my view. I rarely see christians in my region truly behave like christians. They behave more like a social club with exclusivity and a fraternity mentality. I would truly like to see a change in that ideas through education.

Too true!:bigsmile:

Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 02:55 pm
@avatar6v7,
humanist christians are better known as the scoiety for comfortable looking potbellied american proffessers who sit in armchairs and write long winded pretentious books.

Ad hominem is not convincing, sorry.

As for what you have 'shown' you can say alot about it but to claim it is spiritually irrelavent is farcical. Anyone who disbelieves in Christ as a historical figure has a different spritual outlook than one who does, which I should have thought obvious. As for 'christians' who 'sought of believe in Jesus' most certainly they have less faith if they are not willing to believe in Christs existance as a physical being, which is fundamental to the nature of God.

All fine and well, but instead of responding to my points you just make dogmatic statements. I gave you examples from other faith traditions where the historical existence of the significant teacher is irrelevant and then I gave to an example in Christianity of Christians who also think the historical existence of the significant teacher, Jesus, is irrelevant.

If your only response is dogma, that's fine - believe whatever you like. But I'm presenting arguments based on reality.

this misses the point. If you deny the incarnation and the ressurection, how can you theologically justify redemption? Redemption is the greatest as best gift of the christian faith and it is grounded theologically in the ultimate miracle of the ressurectin- which is of course reliant on christs incarnation. Additionally a belief in the trinity is incompatible with any kind of denial of Jesus's existance as a human.

Same old issues, same old dogmatic claims. The story of Jesus is no less compelling if the story is mythological instead of historical. Again, if the story of Jesus must be historical in order to be spiritually significant, then the story is spiritually worthless.

To demand that Jesus must have lived, that Jesus must have been an historic figure, is fundamentalism.

Perhaps this is the problem.

Just because some Christians have beliefs that are different from your own Christian beliefs does not mean that the others are not Christian. Sorry.

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 03:29 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Ad hominem is not convincing, sorry.
-------------------------------------------
Is humour no longer acceptable now?

All fine and well, but instead of responding to my points you just make dogmatic statements. I gave you examples from other faith traditions where the historical existence of the significant teacher is irrelevant and then I gave to an example in Christianity of Christians who also think the historical existence of the significant teacher, Jesus, is irrelevant.
------------------------------------------------------------
No you didn't. You made unsubstantiated claims about seemingly non-existant groups of christians

If your only response is dogma, that's fine - believe whatever you like. But I'm presenting arguments based on reality.
----------------------------------------------
So when you make unsubstantiated comments and voice pure opinions about christianity it is 'based in reality' but when I voice my own opinions and ask you to back up your statements I am being dogmatic. You cannot arbitarily decide that my responses are meingless and dogmatic because you disagree with them.

Same old issues, same old dogmatic claims. The story of Jesus is no less compelling if the story is mythological instead of historical. Again, if the story of Jesus must be historical in order to be spiritually significant, then the story is spiritually worthless.
---------------------------------------------------------
Why is it that I 'the fundamentalist' require the person I believe in to be actually real, and you my supposedly rational opponent think that we should base our most fundamental beleifs in somthing that doesn't exist?

To demand that Jesus must have lived, that Jesus must have been an historic figure, is fundamentalism.
------------------------------------------
One of the core beliefs of Fundamentalists is Biblical Inerrancy-
Biblical inerrancy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Obviously a view that I do not hold as I do not for instance think that the world was created in 6 days and is 6000 years old.

Perhaps this is the problem.
-----------------------------------------------
In what sense the problem? Whose problem?

Just because some Christians have beliefs that are different from your own Christian beliefs does not mean that the others are not Christian. Sorry.
-------------------------------------------------------
If somebody doesn't think that Jesus Christ existed, then what is the meaning or point of naming themselves after this imaginary figure? They believe in the texts rather than the man, so why not name themselves after the Gospel writters? Why not Markites, Lukians, Matthewsians or Johndians? Surely that would be a more truthful name?

Pangloss

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 04:11 pm
@avatar6v7,

I see it as an attack upon my faith to take its name to mean somthing that is practically it's opposite.

Here lies the root of your problem. Varying viewpoints are seen as an "attack" upon "your" (possessive) faith. So you are claiming some type of ownership of what is known as the "Christian" faith, and you will not tolerate opposing viewpoints, because you already know what it means to be "Christian", and if someone challenges that definition, you see it as an attack and go into defense mode.

A discussion cannot be had when someone thinks that something of his (your faith) is under attack. A somewhat-civilized argument, maybe. Really though, this statement just shows that you are intolerant!

And saying that you are intolerant is not an attack against you, but is merely a conclusion that we can draw from your inability to accept that "your" Christian faith could mean anything besides what you already think it means. We say that someone is intolerant if he goes into defensive/"i have been attacked" mode when another person suggests that he could be wrong. That is, you shut off the ability to reason and discuss.

- You might be discussing "your" (possessive) personal faith in this thread; and it is fine to have this faith, and if you want to defend it, fine. But obviously no one can have a reasonable discussion with you about "your" faith, because we don't understand your own personal belief structure.

- You could be discussing the all-encompassing "Christian" faith in this thread; if you and your views fall within this all-encompassing faith, then that is great. But the "Christian" faith, in its entirety, is not "your" faith. The definition of "Christian" is not up to you to decide.

- "Your" personal faith can very well be within the "Christian" faith, but the entire "Christian" faith is not "your" faith. If "Christianity" is like the set of all types of fruit, then your idea of faith within Christianity is one type of fruit; it fits in that category, but there are many other types of fruit as well, that are just as rightfully "fruit" as yours.

You seem to believe that your take on Christianity is the right one, and others are simply wrong. Well, this is the exact form of intolerance that can lead to fear, which is the idea of this thread. You may say that you are not a fundamentalist (not all fundamentalists are intolerant anyway), and maybe you aren't (Catholic?), but you are certainly intolerant.

Intolerance is what most of us don't like coming from religion, and your above quote embodies the mindset of religious intolerance.

When people feel that they, or their possessions, have been attacked, they become fearful, angry, and perhaps dangerous. No wonder this discussion has gone absolutely nowhere in the last few pages! :sarcastic:

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 04:55 pm
@Pangloss,
Pangloss wrote:
Here lies the root of your problem. Varying viewpoints are seen as an "attack" upon "your" (possessive) faith. So you are claiming some type of ownership of what is known as the "Christian" faith, and you will not tolerate opposing viewpoints, because you already know what it means to be "Christian", and if someone challenges that definition, you see it as an attack and go into defense mode.

A discussion cannot be had when someone thinks that something of his (your faith) is under attack. A somewhat-civilized argument, maybe. Really though, this statement just shows that you are intolerant!

And saying that you are intolerant is not an attack against you, but is merely a conclusion that we can draw from your inability to accept that "your" Christian faith could mean anything besides what you already think it means. We say that someone is intolerant if he goes into defensive/"i have been attacked" mode when another person suggests that he could be wrong. That is, you shut off the ability to reason and discuss.

- You might be discussing "your" (possessive) personal faith in this thread; and it is fine to have this faith, and if you want to defend it, fine. But obviously no one can have a reasonable discussion with you about "your" faith, because we don't understand your own personal belief structure.

- You could be discussing the all-encompassing "Christian" faith in this thread; if you and your views fall within this all-encompassing faith, then that is great. But the "Christian" faith, in its entirety, is not "your" faith. The definition of "Christian" is not up to you to decide.

- "Your" personal faith can very well be within the "Christian" faith, but the entire "Christian" faith is not "your" faith. If "Christianity" is like the set of all types of fruit, then your idea of faith within Christianity is one type of fruit; it fits in that category, but there are many other types of fruit as well, that are just as rightfully "fruit" as yours.

You seem to believe that your take on Christianity is the right one, and others are simply wrong. Well, this is the exact form of intolerance that can lead to fear, which is the idea of this thread. You may say that you are not a fundamentalist (not all fundamentalists are intolerant anyway), and maybe you aren't (Catholic?), but you are certainly intolerant.

Intolerance is what most of us don't like coming from religion, and your above quote embodies the mindset of religious intolerance.

When people feel that they, or their possessions, have been attacked, they become fearful, angry, and perhaps dangerous. No wonder this discussion has gone absolutely nowhere in the last few pages! :sarcastic:

I haven't bothered to do more than skim this, so you can go ahead an reinforce your predertimined idea of me not listening to reason. I am assumign from what I glanced at that you think that I am somehow bigoted, fearful and narrowminded. All I am saying is that I dislike people claiming the christian faith is somthing it never has been. What is the meaning of being a christian if you do not believe that christ even existed? It is illogical, and it seems to be motivated by an attempt to change the nature of what it means to be christian. I do not wish to see Christianity reduced from a faith and a religion, to simply a system of morality, cut away from its own justification for that morality. I am not suggesting that those who disgree with me be shot, hung, burnt at the stake or otherwise persected. I am not suprisingly enough suggesting that they be accused of witchcraft and dunked in a pond, and I am not suggesting that they be prevented from voicing their views, deluded or not. I am however objecting on a personal, logical and spirtual level, to their being regarded as christian. That is my view, it is not bigoted, it is based on reason . You would say I was driven by fear. But are you not afraid that fundamentalists christians will gain greater influence in the US? Of course you are. Why? Because you think they will impose their views on your country, your beliefs, your government. That is my own concern, both in the matter of fundamentalists and in the one we are discussing at present. I am afraid my fatith will become dominated by those who wish to unmake it. Disagree with me as to whether that is the case, but do not claim that I am somehow bigoted.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 07:24:18