Distribution of Fear in Christianity

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

avatar6v7
 
Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2008 04:28 am
@xris,
xris wrote:
Believing in the story is about faith not history

Your point?
xris wrote:
denying that the pagans told similar stories long before the christian story is only denial for faiths sake..

who said I was denying it?
Oh and I'd like examples. Not that I'm doubting you but it would be interesting.
 
xris
 
Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2008 06:38 am
@avatar6v7,
avatar6v7 wrote:
Your point?

who said I was denying it?
Oh and I'd like examples. Not that I'm doubting you but it would be interesting.
You dont get my point? you are refusing to accept the facts because of your faith..Do i really have to mention Mithra identical story to jesus, the common Roman soldiers god..Isis and horus, mother and child...Osirus.Adonis..ascending to heaven...Divine father Mars and earthly child Romulus..History of pagan gods going back thousands of years...even the celts sacrificed their most treasured youths ...Be honest with yourself please..
 
avatar6v7
 
Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2008 07:14 am
@xris,
xris wrote:
You dont get my point? you are refusing to accept the facts because of your faith..Do i really have to mention Mithra identical story to jesus, the common Roman soldiers god..Isis and horus, mother and child...Osirus.Adonis..ascending to heaven...Divine father Mars and earthly child Romulus..History of pagan gods going back thousands of years...even the celts sacrificed their most treasured youths ...Be honest with yourself please..

mithras was worshiped after the time of christ, isus and horus- not a virgin birth, jesus is a god as well as earthly, just to point out a few things there. However I am not denying that there are vast numbers of myths that resemble the christian myths stretching back thousands of years before christianity. They predate christianty, some predate judaism. True enough. They are still reflections.
 
xris
 
Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2008 08:19 am
@avatar6v7,
avatar6v7 wrote:
mithras was worshiped after the time of christ, isus and horus- not a virgin birth, jesus is a god as well as earthly, just to point out a few things there. However I am not denying that there are vast numbers of myths that resemble the christian myths stretching back thousands of years before christianity. They predate christianty, some predate judaism. True enough. They are still reflections.
Sorry but Mithras was worshipped at almost the same time.. some academics put him before christ...how can they be reflections when they predate christianity?:perplexed:
 
avatar6v7
 
Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2008 08:25 am
@xris,
xris wrote:
Sorry but Mithras was worshipped at almost the same time.. some academics put him before christ...how can they be reflections when they predate christianity?:perplexed:

You have a very simplistic conception of time, you really do.
 
xris
 
Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2008 08:33 am
@avatar6v7,
avatar6v7 wrote:
You have a very simplistic conception of time, you really do.
I just cant wait.. please tell me how simplistic is my conception of time??? something happens and it is a reflection of a future event..the first event proves the second event...how the faithful mind works... its amazing..
 
avatar6v7
 
Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2008 08:37 am
@xris,
xris wrote:
I just cant wait.. please tell me how simplistic is my conception of time??? something happens and it is a reflection of a future event..the first event proves the second event...how the faithful mind works... its amazing..

God trancends time. The event of Christs birth and life were anticipated througout the old testament, and it is logical to assume that elements of this exist in most human mythology.
 
xris
 
Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2008 08:54 am
@avatar6v7,
avatar6v7 wrote:
God trancends time. The event of Christs birth and life were anticipated througout the old testament, and it is logical to assume that elements of this exist in most human mythology.
so in your mind that excuses the problem i have exposed that christianity is just another pagan faith dressed up with a modern message..well i admire your attempt but i dont think you are being honest with yourself..you cant be serious..
 
avatar6v7
 
Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2008 08:57 am
@xris,
xris wrote:
so in your mind that excuses the problem i have exposed that christianity is just another pagan faith dressed up with a modern message..well i admire your attempt but i dont think you are being honest with yourself..you cant be serious..

You use the word pagan very derisivly. As to the word 'modern' I don't know what you mean by it. You can hardly be refering to a point in time.
 
xris
 
Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2008 09:09 am
@avatar6v7,
avatar6v7 wrote:
You use the word pagan very derisivly. As to the word 'modern' I don't know what you mean by it. You can hardly be refering to a point in time.
Well if you refuse to accept that the message is the important bit and without the pagan ritual it would be of no consequence yes it is pagan...modern in terms of the worlds million years of worshipping for fear of the dark...yes it is modern..Christ came with a message of hope and forgiveness..he inspired millions to improve mankind but who he was and from where he came ..i do not know..its the song not the singer..
 
avatar6v7
 
Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2008 09:15 am
@xris,
xris wrote:
Well if you refuse to accept that the message is the important bit and without the pagan ritual it would be of no consequence yes it is pagan...modern in terms of the worlds million years of worshipping for fear of the dark...yes it is modern..Christ came with a message of hope and forgiveness..he inspired millions to improve mankind but who he was and from where he came ..i do not know..its the song not the singer..

You have a very simplistic view of both paganism and christianity. It would be incorrect to say that there was no hope in all pantheistic religions, no good to them at all. You look at that part of a good thing that you understand and like, but you would cut away the rest because it does not suit your particular desires. If you wish to engage in that particular fallacy that is your buissness but pleas don't presume to lecture me on somthing you self confessedly are incapable of understanding.
And whats up with using '...' instead of full stops? What exactly is the point?
 
ciceronianus
 
Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2008 09:32 am
@avatar6v7,
avatar6v7 wrote:
God trancends time. The event of Christs birth and life were anticipated througout the old testament, and it is logical to assume that elements of this exist in most human mythology.


Ante hoc, ergo propter hoc?

Seriously, why does the fact that Christian mythology (if you will permit me) resembles pre-Christian mythology in many respects serve as an indication of the veracity of Christian mythology? Perhaps the Orphic or Eleusinian mysteries are true, and Christianity is simply a detour.
 
avatar6v7
 
Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2008 09:39 am
@ciceronianus,
ciceronianus wrote:
Ante hoc, ergo propter hoc?

Seriously, why does the fact that Christian mythology (if you will permit me) resembles pre-Christian mythology in many respects serve as an indication of the veracity of Christian mythology? Perhaps the Orphic or Eleusinian mysteries are true, and Christianity is simply a detour.

Simply put? Patterns.
 
xris
 
Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2008 09:47 am
@avatar6v7,
avatar6v7 wrote:
You have a very simplistic view of both paganism and christianity. It would be incorrect to say that there was no hope in all pantheistic religions, no good to them at all. You look at that part of a good thing that you understand and like, but you would cut away the rest because it does not suit your particular desires. If you wish to engage in that particular fallacy that is your buissness but pleas don't presume to lecture me on somthing you self confessedly are incapable of understanding.
And whats up with using '...' instead of full stops? What exactly is the point?
il post as i wish...and so now your defence has become one of desire rather than logic and my understanding is that you refuse to accept that christianity is a pagan faith with new clothes..
 
avatar6v7
 
Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2008 09:56 am
@xris,
xris wrote:
il post as i wish...and so now your defence has become one of desire rather than logic and my understanding is that you refuse to accept that christianity is a pagan faith with new clothes..

All you have done is baldy state your opinion, without any real justification. I have give a number of perfectly good reasons for the pagan-christian connection, but you have dismissed as opposed to answered these points. At what point have you used logic?
 
xris
 
Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2008 10:04 am
@avatar6v7,
avatar6v7 wrote:
All you have done is baldy state your opinion, without any real justification. I have give a number of perfectly good reasons for the pagan-christian connection, but you have dismissed as opposed to answered these points. At what point have you used logic?
Ive used logic at every stage ..something you blatantly refuse to use..how can you excuse a religion that calls on stories of virgin births ..sacrifice..resserection..ascendacy to heaven..miracles from previous pagan faiths and then claim them as their own..your pushing belief into the realms of manic fantasy..
 
avatar6v7
 
Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2008 10:07 am
@xris,
xris wrote:
Ive used logic at every stage ..something you blatantly refuse to use..how can you excuse a religion that calls on stories of virgin births ..sacrifice..resserection..ascendacy to heaven..miracles from previous pagan faiths and then claim them as their own..your pushing belief into the realms of manic fantasy..

You simply call your posistion logic, and refuse to listen to any other. You say that miracles and mystism are illogical, but you cannot tell me how.
xris wrote:

your pushing belief into the realms of manic fantasy..

Minus the manic bit, you say that like its a bad thing.
 
xris
 
Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2008 10:20 am
@avatar6v7,
I dont think i need answer this post ..your words are sufficient to prove my point..
 
avatar6v7
 
Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2008 10:24 am
@xris,
xris wrote:
I dont think i need answer this post ..your words are sufficient to prove my point..

So you concede the point. Well its been an enjoyble if occaisonally heated debate.
You have conceded the point haven't you? Because you stopped debating before a conclusion had been reached on either side so I can only assume your argument has collapsed.
 
Solace
 
Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2008 12:06 pm
@avatar6v7,
avatar6v7 wrote:
So you concede the point. Well its been an enjoyble if occaisonally heated debate.
You have conceded the point haven't you? Because you stopped debating before a conclusion had been reached on either side so I can only assume your argument has collapsed.


Just to clarify here, hardly ever does anyone actually "win" a debate on a forum like this. The only way that could be accomplished is if we had judged debates, with rules about structure and such. But that isn't what we're here for, to win arguments. We're here to share and to learn.

Sometimes not responding isn't at all about conceding; it's about giving up trying to reason with someone because it's only going in circles. In such a case, two people could post all day and say relatively nothing. Sometimes it's better to just leave it alone and let the other person think that you've conceded if that makes them feel any better.

It's always a good idea when posting on a forum such as this to keep in mind that you're not likely going to ever actually change someone else's mind on most subjects, especially the controversial ones. Most already have a preconceived notion of where they stand, and rarely does that change. Just use the oppurtunities provided by your co-posters to learn about others' views, whether or not you think it is logical right now, so as to strengthen or else moderate your own stand on the given subject in the future.
 
 

 
Copyright © 2021 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/24/2021 at 09:58:48