Is knowing a mental event?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

kennethamy

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 08:13 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;102663 wrote:
To continue the building upon of ideas, does one have to know? If I think H2O is what water is composed of, and I use this information, with other information, to create a hydrogen bomb, does it necessarily follow that I know that H2O is the composition of water?

What I'm trying to say is that it's very clear that we've built upon ideas to come to new, and often times more advanced, ideas. However, does any of this have to necessarily do with knowledge, though? Or at least knowledge that has to do with truth?

Could it be that all of our advancements are held together by strings of justifications, rather than knowledge?

Most scientist believe they know that water is H20. I do not know what you are asking when you ask whether someone knows some proposition, p. After all, that is partly what this thread is about. What is it I am claiming when I say that I know this or that, or that you know this or that. So, I don't know how to answer your question. I think that if a person knows that water is H20 then he (at least) believes water is H20, his belief is adequately justified, and it is true that water is H20. What do you think?

---------- Post added 11-10-2009 at 09:24 AM ----------

Zetherin;102646 wrote:
Indeed, yes, that is what it would mean.

This is where I become confused: Access to truth.

Actually, I think the term used was, "direct access to true". And that seem to be contrasted with inferential access to truth. In ordinary circumstances that would be the contrast between our evidence that the postman has been because there are letters in the mailbox when there were none before, and actually seeing the postman deliver the letters. The first would be indirect evidence, the latter, direct evidence for the visit of the postman.
But that doesn't seem what is meant, because even seeing the postman deliver the letters is also inferential or indirect evidence according to Paul. The question is what Paul would consider to be direct evidence (access) to the truth (if anything). I suggested that perhaps he would think that my evidence that I am in pain (or some other mental state) would be, for him, a case of direct access to the truth. But could our knowing be such a mental state so that we could have direct access to whether we know? In which case, of course, we could know that we know, or be certain.

---------- Post added 11-10-2009 at 09:39 AM ----------

Zetherin;102671 wrote:
It's very clear that from generation to generation we are believing things which have justifications. Those things we do not feel have adequate justifications, we don't call knowledge, and we often don't believe (and we often contest them... which is a good thing!). This, for whatever it's worth, could be dubbed the "body of X"; the collective and temporal culmination of what we believe based on justification we find to be good.

I just don't know if any of this has to do with knowledge, or if even knowledge exists. Is knowledge an idealistic notion? Should we revise this notion - have we matured, and come to grips with uncertainty, as a species? Tentative knowledge seems a bit contradictory. We're still trying to keep the word "knowledge" in the mix, because, I think, it gives us some certainty, and we fear not having it.

If "tentative knowledge" just is knowledge that is revisable since it might not be knowledge at all because it might not be true, then most all knowledge is "tentative knowledge". That is what I call, "fallible knowledge". I think when you talk of knowledge, especially when you talk of it as being "idealistic" or "doubting whether it exists" you are not talking about knowledge at all. You are talking about certainty. But the distinction between knowledge, on the one hand, and certainty on the other hand, is extremely important. As I have said, knowledge implies the inactuality of error, but certainty implies the impossibility of error. We can, and do, know, without being certain. Only confusion can result from the failure to distinguish between knowledge and certainty. Plato committed that confusion, and so did Descartes. And even "that astute man" (Kant) David Hume let some of the confusion seep in. It was only finally the greatest of all American philosophers, Charles S. Pierce who nailed it.

Zetherin

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 08:45 am
@kennethamy,
ACB wrote:
If our present beliefs are justified in the light of current human understanding, we are entitled to call them knowledge. If future discoveries show that they were false, then we (or posterity) should deny that they were really knowledge. But if we or posterity find them still true beyond reasonable doubt, we/they should maintain the claim that they were knowledge.

But how is "truth" part of the criterion here, then? This notion of knowledge is JB, until our justifications are proven unsound. Once they are, we pick up a new JB, and then run with it a while until we are proven incorrect again.

paulhanke wrote:

... as crazy as it may sound, perhaps a refined sense of the JTB model of knowledge is idealistic but at the same time comes to grips with inherent uncertainty ... it is idealistic in that it incorporates "truth" in its definition, the ideal of direct access to truth being beyond us; but at the same time it also tries to come to grips with inherent uncertainty by incorporating "justified belief" ... which leads one to a strange situation: you can be certain that your beliefs are justified (e.g., they are logically coherent), but you cannot be certain that your justified beliefs are knowledge Wink ...

Are we certain our beliefs are justified, or do we just feel justified in believing our beliefs are justified?

kennethamy wrote:

I think that if a person knows that water is H20 then he (at least) believes water is H20, his belief is adequately justified, and it is true that water is H20. What do you think?

In many threads you mention the point that knowing has nothing to do with the possibility of falsity. That is, just because it's possible something could be false, it does not follow that we do not know at any point in time. But, if we find out that that thing is in fact not true, we never knew to begin with - we just thought we knew. This confuses me.

Besides those things which are tautologically true, such as that all bachelors are single, I don't understand how we can claim knowledge. For most things, all we can do is claim that we think we know. And, if in most cases all we can claim is that we think we know, it seems that knowing is something we can approach but never attain - it's an idealistic notion.

Quote:

But that doesn't seem what is meant, because even seeing the postman deliver the letters is also inferential or indirect evidence according to Paul. The question is what Paul would consider to be direct evidence (access) to the truth (if anything). I suggested that perhaps he would think that my evidence that I am in pain (or some other mental state) would be, for him, a case of direct access to the truth. But could our knowing be such a mental state so that we could have direct access to whether we know? In which case, of course, we could know that we know, or be certain.

I'm not convinced yet that we have direct access to truth for most things. It seems that excluding things that are by definition true, most things we only have inferential access to truth for.

Are you sure direct access exists for most things?

Quote:
As I have said, knowledge implies the inactuality of error, but certainty implies the impossibility of error.

What is inactuality, and how, exactly, does it differ from impossibility?

Quote:

Only confusion can result from the failure to distinguish between knowledge and certainty.

If knowledge doesn't have to be certain, then why are we using "truth" as a criterion? Doesn't truth have to be certain? Or... are there certainly true truths and tentatively true truths... :eek:

Yes, confusion does arise. Indeed, indeed.

fast

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 09:28 am
@kennethamy,
[QUOTE=kennethamy;102258]When I claim to know that Quito is the capital of Ecuador, am I saying that something that is going on in my mind, or that something is going on in Ecuador? Just what am I saying?[/QUOTE]You have to remember that you're making a complex statement. It's not a simple claim. You're not merely implying one thing by saying what you do. You are implying many things by saying that you know Quito is the capital of Ecuador.

Knowledge is a complex creature, and not all individual necessary conditions of knowledge are mental events, so knowledge most certainly is not exclusively a mental event, but more intriguingly, it's not even in part a mental event despite the fact one of its necessary conditions is a mental event, and the reason for that is because we're no longer talking about the creature itself but rather it's necessary conditions.

Yes, belief is a necessary condition of knowledge, but knowledge is not a kind of belief. It's no more a kind of belief than it is a kind of truth or kind of justification. The mistake all too commonly made is to say of knowledge that it is a kind of belief because belief is a necessary condition of knowledge, but what has that to do with it? What kind of a belief is it? The kind that is adequately justified and true? No. That is the mistake! Say of knowledge what it is, not of it that is so of its necessary conditions.

---------- Post added 11-10-2009 at 10:39 AM ----------

Zetherin;102782 wrote:
Every case that must be the case is the case, but not every case that is the case must be the case.

paulhanke

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 10:30 am
@fast,
fast;102792 wrote:
Yes, belief is a necessary condition of knowledge, but knowledge is not a kind of belief. It's no more a kind of belief than it is a kind of truth or kind of justification. The mistake all too commonly made is to say of knowledge that it is a kind of belief because belief is a necessary condition of knowledge, but what has that to do with it?

... that's a very Peircian shift in perspective - knowledge is not a justified true belief, but rather (and much like a sign) a triadic process of justification, truth, and belief ... to look at it this way, is truth first, belief second, and justification third? ...

Zetherin

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 10:34 am
@kennethamy,
fast wrote:

Every case that must be the case is the case, but not every case that is the case must be the case.

Who determines what "must be"?

paulhanke

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 10:41 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;102773 wrote:
But that doesn't seem what is meant, because even seeing the postman deliver the letters is also inferential or indirect evidence according to Paul. The question is what Paul would consider to be direct evidence (access) to the truth (if anything). I suggested that perhaps he would think that my evidence that I am in pain (or some other mental state) would be, for him, a case of direct access to the truth.

... when speaking of the natural world (and not our cultural and personal inventions), it seems to me that the only truth we have direct access to is indeed the qualia of our experience ... the referents of that qualia (when not other instances of qualia), on the other hand, we only have mediated access to via human senses (which can be fooled) and human concepts (which are limited) ...

kennethamy;102773 wrote:
It was only finally the greatest of all American philosophers, Charles S. Pierce who nailed it.

... could you elaborate? ...

kennethamy

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 11:07 am
@paulhanke,
paulhanke;102812 wrote:

... could you elaborate? ...

Especially Pierce's continual attack of Cartesianism in for example his, Some Consequences of Four Incapacities, and his , Questions Concerning Certain Faculties Claimed for Man, are all attempts to separate the ideas of knowledge and certainty, and deny certainty, but affirm the existence of knowledge. And also his criticisms of Cartesian Doubt. "We should not doubt in philosophy what we do not doubt in our hearts".

---------- Post added 11-10-2009 at 12:56 PM ----------

Zetherin;102782 wrote:
But how is "truth" part of the criterion here, then? This notion of knowledge is JB, until our justifications are proven unsound. Once they are, we pick up a new JB, and then run with it a while until we are proven incorrect again.

Are we certain our beliefs are justified, or do we just feel justified in believing our beliefs are justified?

In many threads you mention the point that knowing has nothing to do with the possibility of falsity. That is, just because it's possible something could be false, it does not follow that we do not know at any point in time. But, if we find out that that thing is in fact not true, we never knew to begin with - we just thought we knew. This confuses me.

Besides those things which are tautologically true, such as that all bachelors are single, I don't understand how we can claim knowledge. For most things, all we can do is claim that we think we know. And, if in most cases all we can claim is that we think we know, it seems that knowing is something we can approach but never attain - it's an idealistic notion.

I'm not convinced yet that we have direct access to truth for most things. It seems that excluding things that are by definition true, most things we only have inferential access to truth for.

If knowledge doesn't have to be certain, then why are we using "truth" as a criterion? Doesn't truth have to be certain? Or... are there certainly true truths and tentatively true truths... :eek:

Yes, confusion does arise. Indeed, indeed.

Truth is not a criterion of knowledge (in the sense that it is how we discover whether we know). It is a condition of knowledge. A belief cannot be knowledge unless that belief is true, just as nothing can be a triangle unless it has three angles.

Sometimes people believe with no justification, or very little justification. That kind of belief is called, "faith". If fallibilism is true we are certain of nothing or very little.

Just because it is possible that a statement is false does not mean it is false, for it is also possible that it is true. Of course, if I believe I know that p, and if subsequently, I discover that I was wrong, then my belief that I knew that p was false, and I did not know that p in the first place. And we did just think we knew. But I don't see why that is confusing. The same thing happens if we believe that some substance is gold, and we find out later that it was really iron pyrite, then the substance was not gold in the first place. If this case does not confuse you then why should the other case (believing that you know rather that believing that some substance is gold) confuse you. I can believe I know, and find out I didn't know; and I can believe that some substance is gold, and then find out it isn't gold. What is the difference?

But again, just as we can think that something is gold, and it really be gold, so we can think we know and we really know. Thinking something is gold does not exclude its being gold, and thinking we know does not exclude our knowing. You would not say that we can only think something is gold but never claim it is gold, so why would you say that we can only think we know, but never claim we know? Again, what is the difference. And you would not say that gold is an idealistic notion. Why say that knowledge is an idealistic notion?

Well, we have direct access to the truth of things like, there is a table in front of me. But we don't in the case of there are electrons or protons. We did not used to have direct access to germs, but now we can observe germs directly though a powerful microscope.

Mermaids are inactual, but mermaids are possible. I use the term "possible" to mean, "logically possible" (for now, anyway). What is logically possible does not imply a contradiction. Four-sided triangles are logically impossible. What is impossible is inactual, but not all inactual things are impossible.

If knowledge doesn't have to be certain, then why are we using "truth" as a criterion? Doesn't truth have to be certain? Or... are there certainly true truths and tentatively true truths.

I don't see why you ask this. P does not have to be certain to be true. Certainty and truth are utterly different concepts. There are truths no one knows of, much less are certain of. Certainty and knowledge are epistemic concepts. Truth is a metaphysical concept. Knowledge implies truth, but truth does not imply knowledge. There have been, and doubtless are, truths no one knows are true.

---------- Post added 11-10-2009 at 01:00 PM ----------

Zetherin;102810 wrote:
Who determines what "must be"?

No one I know. It must be true that all bachelors are males, or that things equal to the same thing are equal to each other, but no one determined that these truths be true (so far as I know).

fast

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 12:53 pm
@kennethamy,
[QUOTE=Zetherin;102810]Who determines what "must be"?[/QUOTE]
I don't know that it's a person that determines what must be.

I think the distinction between "is" and "must" is important. A necessary condition of knowledge isn't that the adequately justified belief must be true. No, not at all. The condition is that it is true-not that it must be true.

She awoke because the alarm sounded. That is true, and that is what actually happened, but things could have turned out differently. The battery, for example, could have been too weak for the alarm to properly function. Many things could have possibly happened, and of all of those, only one thing did actually happen.

We do not live in a world where there are only necessary truths. Contingent truths are plentiful as well.

---------- Post added 11-10-2009 at 02:19 PM ----------

[QUOTE=paulhanke;102809]... that's a very Peircian shift in perspective - knowledge is not a justified true belief, but rather (and much like a sign) a triadic process of justification, truth, and belief ... to look at it this way, is truth first, belief second, and justification third? ...[/QUOTE]

I don't view the order as particularly important. Either the conditions are met or they are not. If they are met, then what we have before us may (may, I say) be knowledge. If they are not met, then what we have before us is not (not, I say) knowledge.

Also, I wouldn't be too quick to say it's false that knowledge is a justified true belief. In fact, I don't think it's false, so I won't say it at all, let alone quickly.

Consider the following sentence: Knowledge is a justified true belief. The last few words: "justified," "true," and "belief" are three separate words that each denote a separate lexical meaning, but I find it most helpful to think of them as a single three-worded term with a stipulative meaning in its own right, commensurate with being shorthand for the necessary conditions of knowledge as outlined in the JTB analysis of knowledge.

I think there is a difference between the lexical definition of the word, "knowledge" and our analysis of knowledge (the referent to which the term, "knowledge" refers), but the analysis is more insightful, as the definition is just a starting place for understanding knowledge, so I don't think it's too fool-hardy to say that knowledge is a justified true belief-at least it's probably close enough for our purposes.

Zetherin

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 02:13 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
Truth is not a criterion of knowledge (in the sense that it is how we discover whether we know). It is a condition of knowledge. A belief cannot be knowledge unless that belief is true, just as nothing can be a triangle unless it has three angles.

I'm sorry, I meant condition.

Quote:

But again, just as we can think that something is gold, and it really be gold, so we can think we know and we really know. Thinking something is gold does not exclude its being gold, and thinking we know does not exclude our knowing. You would not say that we can only think something is gold but never claim it is gold, so why would you say that we can only think we know, but never claim we know? Again, what is the difference. And you would not say that gold is an idealistic notion. Why say that knowledge is an idealistic notion?

My problem is that I do not know how to interpret "truth" as a conditional for knowledge, when "truth" can not always be perceived.

Quote:
Well, we have direct access to the truth of things like, there is a table in front of me. But we don't in the case of there are electrons or protons. We did not used to have direct access to germs, but now we can observe germs directly though a powerful microscope.

So, direct access means that we are actively perceiving that thing? The moment we take our eyes, or senses, off of said thing, we now have inferential access, right?

Quote:
Mermaids are inactual, but mermaids are possible. I use the term "possible" to mean, "logically possible" (for now, anyway). What is logically possible does not imply a contradiction. Four-sided triangles are logically impossible. What is impossible is inactual, but not all inactual things are impossible.

So, when you said:

Quote:
As I have said, knowledge implies the inactuality of error, but certainty implies the impossibility of error.

you meant that certainty implies that there is no logical possibility of error, and that knowledge...?

Quote:

I don't see why you ask this. P does not have to be certain to be true. Certainty and truth are utterly different concepts. There are truths no one knows of, much less are certain of. Certainty and knowledge are epistemic concepts. Truth is a metaphysical concept. Knowledge implies truth, but truth does not imply knowledge. There have been, and doubtless are, truths no one knows are true.

I understand this. But, I cannot understand "truth" without viewing through an epistemic lens. That's my problem.

fast wrote:

I don't know that it's a person that determines what must be.

I asked an inappropriate question. I apologize for this. Instead of focusing on that, could you please just rephrase your statement, as I do not understand.

paulhanke

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 04:12 pm
@fast,
fast;102836 wrote:
Also, I wouldn't be too quick to say it's false that knowledge is a justified true belief. In fact, I don't think it's false, so I won't say it at all, let alone quickly.

... now I'm confused - didn't you say earlier that "
The mistake all too commonly made is to say of knowledge that it is a kind of belief"?

At any rate, to put JTB into the Peircian framework of firstness, secondness, and thirdness, is more of an analysis of the roles each play in a triadic process than it is an ordering ... so to say that truth is first, belief is second, and justification is third, is to say that truth simply is, belief is with respect to truth, and justification is what brings the two into relation with one another.

fast

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 04:16 pm
@Zetherin,
[QUOTE=fast;102836]I asked an inappropriate question. I apologize for this. Instead of focusing on that, could you please just rephrase your statement, as I do not understand.[/QUOTE]
Sure.

If things have to be the way they are, then they are the way they are, but the converse is not true. Hence, just because things are the way they are, that's not to say things have to be the way they are; After all, things could have been different.

paulhanke

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 04:22 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;102855 wrote:
My problem is that I do not know how to interpret "truth" as a conditional for knowledge, when "truth" can not always be perceived.

... and that problem may be exactly why there are anti-realist theories of truth (e.g., the coherence theory and the pragmatic theory) ...

Zetherin;102855 wrote:
So, direct access means that we are actively perceiving that thing?

... in my mind, "direct access" means unerring access, which typically implies unmediated access ... yes, it's my old nemesis "certainty" again Smile, but I think direct access to truth implies certainty ... in fact, perhaps another description of "knowledge" is precisely "mediated/inferential access to truth" Smile ...

Zetherin

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 04:40 pm
@kennethamy,
fast wrote:
If things have to be the way they are, then they are the way they are, but the converse is not true. Hence, just because things are the way they are, that's not to say things have to be the way they are; After all, things could have been different.

Understood.

Fast, I'm now looking for a 'connector piece'; how does this relate to what we were just discussing? Is there something I said that made you think I didn't know that just because things are the way they are, it is not to say that things have to be the way they are? Or, did you note this tidbit of information to help clarify a relevant, but slightly tangential, issue?

ACB wrote:
... in my mind, "direct access" means unerring access, which typically implies unmediated access ... yes, it's my old nemesis "certainty" again , but I think direct access to truth implies certainty ... in fact, perhaps another description of "knowledge" is precisely "mediated/inferential access to truth" ...

Tautological truths, such as "All bachelors are single", or "1+1=2", I'm comfortable with - these truths I would say I have "direct access" to. Things like my name, I'm comfortable with. Those things I'm actively observing, like this keyboard (I would say I know this keyboard exists and that I am using it), I'm comfortable with.

But how in the world could I have "direct access" to the evaluation that my dog is on my pillow, if I am nowhere near my dog or pillow? I mean, he *could* be on my pillow, even though I think he's in the kitchen eating. This would purely concern inferential knowledge, right? But, if I'm wrong that he's on my pillow (suppose I said he was), how can we call this knowledge at all?

I guess I can't come to grips with this call something knowledge until it's proven otherwise thing, especially for matters dealing with the temporal. It just seems too... convenient, or not well thought out. Eh, it's just me, I think I just have to try to look at this from a new perspective...

ACB

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 04:49 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin - Just to avoid any confusion - the comment you attributed to me in your post #73 was actually by paulhanke. Smile

paulhanke

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 05:15 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;102879 wrote:
I guess I can't come to grips with this call something knowledge until it's proven otherwise thing, especially for matters dealing with the temporal. It just seems too... convenient, or not well thought out. Eh, it's just me, I think I just have to try to look at this from a new perspective...

... earlier, Ken said knowledge is like a triangle ... I think a better analogy would be to say that knowledge is like a hypercube (a four-dimensional cube) - both have a dimension that's beyond our perception Smile ...

---------- Post added 11-10-2009 at 04:24 PM ----------

ACB;102882 wrote:
Zetherin - Just to avoid any confusion - the comment you attributed to me in your post #73 was actually by paulhanke. Smile

... no, no, no, please - by all means, take credit for what I say, I insist (especially such times as when I'm talking out my rear end!) Smile ...

fast

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 05:44 pm
@kennethamy,
You asked, "What is inactuality, and how, exactly, does it differ from impossibility?" This gave me the distinct impression that (maybe) you were having difficulty making the distinction between what is actual and what is possible; however, I also tailored my response to what I thought was the underlying issue since your question was in response to what Kennethamy said, "As I have said, knowledge implies the inactuality of error, but certainty implies the impossibility of error," I said what I said in hopes of being helpful. I'll try again tomorrow.

Zetherin

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 06:46 pm
@ACB,
ACB;102882 wrote:

My apologies! To you too, paulhanke! Mistake!

paulhanke wrote:
... earlier, Ken said knowledge is like a triangle ... I think a better analogy would be to say that knowledge is like a hypercube (a four-dimensional cube) - both have a dimension that's beyond our perception ...

He said knowledge was like a triangle? What does that analogy mean? JTB (each point of the triangle)?

I like your analogy. As a four dimensional cube rotates, some parts of the cube are visible to the human eye, while some or not. Just like some things we can have (direct) knowledge of, and some things we cannot, due to the passing of time ('rotation').

fast wrote:
You asked, "What is inactuality, and how, exactly, does it differ from impossibility?" This gave me the distinct impression that (maybe) you were having difficulty making the distinction between what is actual and what is possible; however, I also tailored my response to what I thought was the underlying issue since your question was in response to what Kennethamy said, "As I have said, knowledge implies the inactuality of error, but certainty implies the impossibility of error," I said what I said in hopes of being helpful. I'll try again tomorrow.

Thanks for trying to help! I just need to think all this stuff through.

ACB

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 09:29 pm
@Zetherin,
This has been a most interesting discussion, but the issues are complex and I have found it difficult to reach a settled view. The basic problem, as I see it, is how to reconcile the idea that what is known cannot be false (which I regard as a non-negotiable part of the definition of "know") with the need to give the word "know" some practical use.

I am trying to separate the question of truth from that of justification, but this is not easy. Of course, we could simply say (from a realist perspective) that some things are true, and that if any such things are justifiably believed, then they are known. This is OK as far as it goes, but it does not get us very far. What is the use of saying that we (perhaps) actually know some things, if we are not aware of the extent (if any) of our knowledge? So we need to ask firstly: Can we be confident that we really know those things that we claim to know? And secondly: if not, should we sacrifice precision in order to salvage some practical use for the word "know"?

Thus we come to the issue of certainty, or the lack of it. Clearly there are some things (logical truths, and sense qualia) that we are certain of. Can we identify a second tier, where we have only "Cartesian" doubt (e.g. that we have a body, or that Ecuador exists), and say that we definitely know such things? I would say yes, because the possibility of error seems negligible; it is inconceivable that the claim of knowledge of such things will ever have to be withdrawn. But then there is a third tier, consisting of things that we "know" in the everyday sense of the word, but where error is a serious possibility. This corresponds to the "mediated/inferential" category mentioned earlier - things such as our "knowledge" that a new house we saw yesterday is still there. Should we include this third tier in the realm of genuine knowledge? If (on practical grounds) we do, we will have to accept some loss of precision in the term "knowledge", and be content to claim knowledge for present purposes while accepting the possibility of future correction. I am not sure whether this is a good idea.

(I have not used the expression "beyond reasonable doubt" in the above, as it is ambiguous as to whether it includes the second tier of knowledge or only the third.)

fast

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 10:31 pm
@Zetherin,
[QUOTE=Zetherin;102904]Thanks for trying to help! I just need to think all this stuff through.[/QUOTE]

An individually necessary condition of propositional knowledge is that the known proposition is true, so (and in short) knowledge implies truth, but no good analysis of truth implies that all truths are known, so although knowledge implies truth, truth doesn't imply knowledge.

Now, let's concentrate on the bold above and consider the following question: If you are either in Florida or South Carolina, and if you are not in Florida, then is it true that you are in South Carolina? The answer is yes, but let's now ask a different question: If you are either in Florida or South Carolina, and if you are not in Florida, then is it true that you must be in South Carolina? You may be inclined to think yes, but don't be too quick to think that because it is the case that you are where you that you therefore must be where you are. You must be if it's a necessary truth, but if it's a contingent truth, then it's not so that you must be where you are but merely are where you are.

Once we get past the "is" "must" distinction, we can then take a second look at the distinction Kennethamy is making. Yes, knowledge implies that P is true (as the JTB analysis of knowledge would indicate), but no analysis that I'm aware of takes the stance that knowledge implies that P must be true.

Knowledge implies that you are not mistaken in your belief. Certainty implies not only that you are not mistaken, but unlike knowledge, it also implies that you cannot be mistaken.

kennethamy

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 01:24 am
@paulhanke,
paulhanke;102888 wrote:
... earlier, Ken said knowledge is like a triangle ... I think a better analogy would be to say that knowledge is like a hypercube (a four-dimensional cube) - both have a dimension that's beyond our perception Smile ...

---------- Post added 11-10-2009 at 04:24 PM ----------

... no, no, no, please - by all means, take credit for what I say, I insist (especially such times as when I'm talking out my rear end!) Smile ...

I hope I didn't say that knowledge was like a triangle, since I have no idea what that would mean. It sounds like something Yoda would say.

---------- Post added 11-11-2009 at 02:55 AM ----------

ACB;102935 wrote:
This has been a most interesting discussion, but the issues are complex and I have found it difficult to reach a settled view. The basic problem, as I see it, is how to reconcile the idea that what is known cannot be false (which I regard as a non-negotiable part of the definition of "know") with the need to give the word "know" some practical use.

I am trying to separate the question of truth from that of justification, but this is not easy. Of course, we could simply say (from a realist perspective) that some things are true, and that if any such things are justifiably believed, then they are known. This is OK as far as it goes, but it does not get us very far. What is the use of saying that we (perhaps) actually know some things, if we are not aware of the extent (if any) of our knowledge? So we need to ask firstly: Can we be confident that we really know those things that we claim to know? And secondly: if not, should we sacrifice precision in order to salvage some practical use for the word "know"?

Thus we come to the issue of certainty, or the lack of it. Clearly there are some things (logical truths, and sense qualia) that we are certain of. Can we identify a second tier, where we have only "Cartesian" doubt (e.g. that we have a body, or that Ecuador exists), and say that we definitely know such things? I would say yes, because the possibility of error seems negligible; it is inconceivable that the claim of knowledge of such things will ever have to be withdrawn. But then there is a third tier, consisting of things that we "know" in the everyday sense of the word, but where error is a serious possibility. This corresponds to the "mediated/inferential" category mentioned earlier - things such as our "knowledge" that a new house we saw yesterday is still there. Should we include this third tier in the realm of genuine knowledge? If (on practical grounds) we do, we will have to accept some loss of precision in the term "knowledge", and be content to claim knowledge for present purposes while accepting the possibility of future correction. I am not sure whether this is a good idea.

(I have not used the expression "beyond reasonable doubt" in the above, as it is ambiguous as to whether it includes the second tier of knowledge or only the third.)

"What is known cannot be false" is ambiguous. It might mean:

1. It cannot be that a proposition that is known is false. Or,

2. If a proposition is known, then it cannot be false.

1. is true. 2 is false.

I think you are confusing 2, which is false, with 1, which is true.

1. simply says that we cannot know false propositions, and that one can know only true propositions. So, for instance, no one can know that Quito is the capital of Bolivia, since Quito is not the capital of Bolivia. I think every one would agree with that.

But, 2. says that not only can only true propositions be known, but that any proposition that is known could not be false, and must be true. And, of course, that is simply false. For example, I know that Quito is the capital of Ecuador. But the proposition that Quito is the capital of Ecuador could be false. Another city in Ecuador could be the capital. But, for various reasons, Quito happens to be the capital. There is no necessity about Quito being the capital.

It is what is called a "modal fallacy" to infer from the true premise that it cannot be that if some proposition, p, is known, then p is not false, to false conclusion that if some proposition, p is known, then p cannot be false. Notice the position of the term "cannot" in both propositions. In 1. the "scope" of "cannot" ranges over the entire statement. But in 2. the "scope" of "cannot" ranges only over the last half of the whole statement. And that makes the meanings of 1. and 2. very different. 1 is true, but for 2 to be true, only one particular kind of statement could be known, namely a statement that must be true, or what is called a necessary statement. And, as you see, that would mean that we could not know most statement we do know, namely statement that are not necessary statements, and that use of the term know would not have a practical use, as you have seen. So we have to see the ambiguity of the statement "What we know cannot be false", and then see that in one of its meanings it is true, and in one of its meanings it is false. And also, that in the meaning in which it is true, "know" does retain its "practical use".

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/05/2024 at 11:43:57