Is knowing a mental event?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

kennethamy

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 07:31 am
@paulhanke,
paulhanke;102546 wrote:
... thanks for the clarification ..

... given that you're following the traditional definition of knowledge as a belief that is both justified and true, this probably depends to a great deal upon which theory of truth you subscribe to - correspondence, coherence, or pragmatist (the latter two of which essentially cause knowledge to be simply justified belief Wink) ...

... assuming you're into the correspondence theory of truth (which I imagine Ken is), then you can actually use coherence (a belief fits into a coherent system of beliefs) and/or pragmatist (the deployment of a belief results in positive action) theories of truth as means for justification ...

... if a belief can only be shown to be unjustified in the presence of new evidence, and that evidence can only be accessed through new means (whether instrumental or ideological), then I don't think it can be said that those who did not have access to that evidence nor means were unjustified in their belief ...

... given that you're following the traditional definition of knowledge as a belief that is both justified and true, this probably depends to a great deal upon which theory of truth you subscribe to - correspondence, coherence, or pragmatist (the latter two of which essentially cause knowledge to be simply justified belief

I don't think that is true. You can have coherence theory of justification and a correspondence theory of truth. W.V. Quine did. And, if a pragmatist theory of truth is that truth is what works (whatever that means) then it has to be true that it "works". And that cannot mean that "it works that it works". Since that would lead to a vicious infinite regress.

... assuming you're into the correspondence theory of truth (which I imagine Ken is), then you can actually use coherence (a belief fits into a coherent system of beliefs) and/or pragmatist (the deployment of a belief results in positive action) theories of truth as means for justification ...

Isn't this inconsistent with what you just wrote in your previous comment?

... if a belief can only be shown to be unjustified in the presence of new evidence, and that evidence can only be accessed through new means (whether instrumental or ideological), then I don't think it can be said that those who did not have access to that evidence nor means were unjustified in their belief ..

But why not? Couldn't that former evidence been gathered by illegitimate methods. For example thinking that what is dreamed is evidence, or what is "seen" in the entrails of a bat?

ACB

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 08:58 am
@kennethamy,
My view is as follows:

1. In the correspondence theory of truth, knowledge is justified true belief. I think this theory is right.

2. In the coherence and pragmatist theories of truth, knowledge is simply justified belief. I think these theories are wrong.

3. The coherence or pragmatist theories of justification can be combined with the correspondence theory of truth. And I think they should.

4. Incidentally, are coherence and pragmatism two sides of the same coin? If a belief "works", must it cohere with other beliefs, and vice versa?

5. The reason I think coherence and pragmatist theories of truth are wrong is that, given a finite amount of evidence, there will always be more than one possible state of affairs that (a) coheres with the existing evidence, and (b) works. (All theories are 'underdetermined'.) This would result in the co-existence of contradictory truths. Only the correspondence theory can avoid this.

kennethamy

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 09:23 am
@ACB,
ACB;102592 wrote:
My view is as follows:

1. In the correspondence theory of truth, knowledge is justified true belief. I think this theory is right.

2. In the coherence and pragmatist theories of truth, knowledge is simply justified belief. I think these theories are wrong.

3. The coherence or pragmatist theories of justification can be combined with the correspondence theory of truth. And I think they should.

4. Incidentally, are coherence and pragmatism two sides of the same coin? If a belief "works", must it cohere with other beliefs, and vice versa?

5. The reason I think coherence and pragmatist theories of truth are wrong is that, given a finite amount of evidence, there will always be more than one possible state of affairs that (a) coheres with the existing evidence, and (b) works. (All theories are 'underdetermined'.) This would result in the co-existence of contradictory truths. Only the correspondence theory can avoid this.

As I said, I don't see why you think that 2 is true. And in 3. you agree with me. So the views you express in 2 and 3 seem to me to be inconsistent with each other.

I really do not have a clear idea of what it means for a belief to "work". But, as I pointed out, for a belief to "work" it has to be true that belief "works", and what does that mean? That it works that the belief works? And if that is true, then does that mean that it works, that the belief works, that the belief works? A vicious infinite regress.

I think you are not distinguishing between coherence theories of justification, and coherence theories of truth. Are you mixing them? up.They are quite different. And they could both go under the rubric of "coherence theories of knowledge".

paulhanke

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 09:43 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;102582 wrote:
I don't think that is true. You can have coherence theory of justification and a correspondence theory of truth.

... I'm not sure that simply because there are (broadly speaking) three theories of truth means that it is coherent to try to combine them into a single theory of truth - as I showed before, that can quickly lead to an incoherent theory ...

kennethamy;102582 wrote:
Isn't this inconsistent with what you just wrote in your previous comment?

... nope - here, I'm talking about selecting the correspondence theory of truth as the "correct" theory ... in which case, the other two theories are "incorrect" theories, but can still be applied as justification in the JTB model of knowledge ...

kennethamy;102582 wrote:
But why not? Couldn't that former evidence been gathered by illegitimate methods. For example thinking that what is dreamed is evidence, or what is "seen" in the entrails of a bat?

... illegitimate according to whom? ...

---------- Post added 11-09-2009 at 09:13 AM ----------

ACB;102592 wrote:

... that the deployment of two independent beliefs both result in positive action does not imply that the two beliefs are coherent ... I think that if it were practically possible to examine all of our individual beliefs for coherency with one another, we would find that many of our beliefs are not coherent with one another (and are thus merely pragmatic) ...

ACB;102592 wrote:

... but if we are to adhere to the correspondence theory of truth, then we also need to accept the consequences:

a. You cannot know what you know.
b. Through advances in our belief systems regarding the nature of the world, we have demonstrated that no belief systems before ours count as knowledge (i.e., our ancestors knew nothing about the natural world).
c. Through future advances in belief systems regarding the nature of the world, it will be demonstrated that our current belief systems do not count as knowledge (i.e., we know nothing about the natural world).
d. That cultural and personal truths are always changing means that our past and current cultural and personal belief systems do not count as knowledge (i.e., we know nothing about ourselves).

... so in effect, it would appear that the only thing that the JTB model of knowledge (as grounded in the correspondence theory of truth) shows us is that nobody knows anything ... the only way I can see to try to salvage anything out of this is to add a temporal dimension to the model - that is, knowledge is a justified belief that is held at the same time that the belief is also true ... but this leads to the non-intuitive situation where one and the same justified belief can be at once both knowledge (the belief was true yesterday) and not knowledge (the belief is false today) ... also note that this only salvages things for truths that are subject to change ...

hue-man

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 10:40 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;102258 wrote:
When I claim to know that Quito is the capital of Ecuador, am I saying that something that is going on in my mind, or that something is going on in Ecuador?

I suppose that the awareness of the fact is a mental event, but the fact itself is not.

ACB

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 11:17 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;102595 wrote:
I think you are not distinguishing between coherence theories of justification, and coherence theories of truth. Are you mixing them? up.They are quite different. And they could both go under the rubric of "coherence theories of knowledge".

I am distinguishing between them. I disagree with coherence theories of truth, but agree with coherence theories of justification.

---------- Post added 11-09-2009 at 05:20 PM ----------

paulhanke;102603 wrote:
here, I'm talking about selecting the correspondence theory of truth as the "correct" theory ... in which case, the other two theories are "incorrect" theories, but can still be applied as justification in the JTB model of knowledge ...

Yes, this is exactly what I mean.

kennethamy

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 11:31 am
@paulhanke,
paulhanke;102603 wrote:
... I'm not sure that simply because there are (broadly speaking) three theories of truth means that it is coherent to try to combine them into a single theory of truth - as I showed before, that can quickly lead to an incoherent theory ...

... nope - here, I'm talking about selecting the correspondence theory of truth as the "correct" theory ... in which case, the other two theories are "incorrect" theories, but can still be applied as justification in the JTB model of knowledge ...

... illegitimate according to whom? ...

---------- Post added 11-09-2009 at 09:13 AM ----------

... that the deployment of two independent beliefs both result in positive action does not imply that the two beliefs are coherent ... I think that if it were practically possible to examine all of our individual beliefs for coherency with one another, we would find that many of our beliefs are not coherent with one another (and are thus merely pragmatic) ...

... but if we are to adhere to the correspondence theory of truth, then we also need to accept the consequences:

a. You cannot know what you know.
b. Through advances in our belief systems regarding the nature of the world, we have demonstrated that no belief systems before ours count as knowledge (i.e., our ancestors knew nothing about the natural world).
c. Through future advances in belief systems regarding the nature of the world, it will be demonstrated that our current belief systems do not count as knowledge (i.e., we know nothing about the natural world).
d. That cultural and personal truths are always changing means that our past and current cultural and personal belief systems do not count as knowledge (i.e., we know nothing about ourselves).

... so in effect, it would appear that the only thing that the JTB model of knowledge (as grounded in the correspondence theory of truth) shows us is that nobody knows anything ... the only way I can see to try to salvage anything out of this is to add a temporal dimension to the model - that is, knowledge is a justified belief that is held at the same time that the belief is also true ... but this leads to the non-intuitive situation where one and the same justified belief can be at once both knowledge (the belief was true yesterday) and not knowledge (the belief is false today) ... also note that this only salvages things for truths that are subject to change ...

I didn't say we could combine the theories of truth. I said that the coherence and pragmatic theory are wrong. I don't understand what you mean by "can still be applied as justification". Justification is not truth.

Dreams, astrology, necromancy, witchcraft, are not legitimate kinds of justification for our beliefs. According to the scientific view of justification I thought we were assuming. If you think they are, then we are on a different track. But given they are not, people who thought they had justification by necromancy or astrology were wrong. I don't really want to discuss this issue which would really be a derail.

We always know what we know. You must mean that we do not know that we know. And we do know that we knew. If I believe I know that Lincoln was assassinated, and then look it up and discover that he was assassinated, then I know that I knew he was assassinated.

How far back do ancestors go? My ancestors knew the world was round going back 100 years, and my ancient ancestors certainly knew that there was a Sun in the sky, and that water was wet. It may be that our beliefs are revised in the future, but it also may be that they are not revised in the future. We still believe the world is round, just as we did 100 years ago. So what we know now may still be known in the future, because it is true. There is no good reason to think that everything we believe we now know we do not know now. That we might be wrong is no reason to think that we are wrong. So, it seems to me that we know more now than we did 100 years ago, and it is highly probable that we'll know more a hundred years from now. Knowledge is cumulative.

That cultural and personal truths are always changing means that our past and current cultural and personal belief systems do not count as knowledge

That seems to me clearly wrong, since we may be right now. (And perhaps wrong in the future). Don't you think we know that water is H20? I do. The likelihood that we will turn out to be wrong about that is so minimal as to be discounted.

paulhanke

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 12:12 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;102631 wrote:
I didn't say we could combine the theories of truth. I said that the coherence and pragmatic theory are wrong. I don't understand what you mean by "can still be applied as justification". Justification is not truth.

... the JTB model has three parts: justification, belief, and truth ... that you cannot use the coherency of a set of beliefs to establish truth does not mean that you cannot use the coherency of a set of beliefs to establish justification ... that's all we're saying ...

kennethamy;102631 wrote:
We always know what we know. You must mean that we do not know that we know. And we do know that we knew. If I believe I know that Lincoln was assassinated, and then look it up and discover that he was assassinated, then I know that I knew he was assassinated.

... in the JTB model, that you looked it up and read that Lincoln was assassinated is simply justification for believing that Lincoln was assassinated ... that only covers the JB part of the model - to know what you know, you still need to establish the truth ... and to establish the truth you need to have direct access to it - you would have had to have been there and witnessed the event (and even then, can you trust your senses to deliver the truth undistorted? can you trust that you weren't hallucinating?) ... so since you do not have direct access to historical events, you cannot establish their truth ... therefore, under the JTB model of knowledge, for all things historical (and a whole lot more), you cannot know what you know ...

Zetherin

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 12:25 pm
@kennethamy,
paulhanke wrote:

... in the JTB model, that you looked it up and read that Lincoln was assassinated is simply justification for believing that Lincoln was assassinated ... that only covers the JB part of the model - to know what you know, you still need to establish the truth ... and to establish the truth you need to have direct access to it - you would have had to have been there and witnessed the event (and even then, can you trust your senses to deliver the truth undistorted? can you trust that you weren't hallucinating?) ... so since you do not have direct access to historical events, you cannot establish their truth ... therefore, under the JTB model of knowledge, for all things historical (and a whole lot more), you cannot know what you know ...

Kennethamy may be referring to the distinction between knowing beyond a reasonable doubt and knowing beyond all doubt.

Even without having been there, we can know beyond a reasonable doubt that Lincoln was assassinated (of course, the 'reason' here would be based on the justification, I think). And, so, when we say "I know Lincoln was assassinated", this is implied. It should never be assumed that we are speaking of absolute certainty.

paulhanke

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 12:34 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;102644 wrote:
Kennethamy may be referring to the distinction between knowing beyond a reasonable doubt and knowing beyond all doubt.

Even without having been there, we can know beyond a reasonable doubt that Lincoln was assassinated (of course, the 'reason' here would be based on the justification, I think). And, so, when we say "I know Lincoln was assassinated", this is implied. It should never be assumed that we are speaking of absolute certainty.

... and if "beyond a reasonable doubt" is the criteria for knowledge, isn't that exactly the same as saying that knowledge is simply justified belief? ...

Zetherin

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 12:37 pm
@paulhanke,
paulhanke;102645 wrote:
... and if "beyond a reasonable doubt" is the criteria for knowledge, isn't that exactly the same as saying that knowledge is simply justified belief? ...

Indeed, yes, that is what it would mean.

This is where I become confused: Access to truth.

kennethamy

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 12:52 pm
@paulhanke,
paulhanke;102643 wrote:
... the JTB model has three parts: justification, belief, and truth ... that you cannot use the coherency of a set of beliefs to establish truth does not mean that you cannot use the coherency of a set of beliefs to establish justification ... that's all we're saying ...

What is "direct access to the truth"? Here is where we return to the question of whether knowing is a mental event. Allegedly I have direct access to my own mental events. For example, my sensation of pain, or my beliefs. But, as I think we agree, knowing is not like that since I cannot have direct access to my knowledge that Quito is the capital of Ecuador, for the reason that whether I know that depends on what goes on in Ecuador, and not just on what goes on in my head, as it does in the case of the sensation of pain. So, it is impossible that I should have direct access to the truth in the case of my knowing that Quito is the capital. Quito is in Ecuador. So, necessarily, I can know that Quito is the capital only indirectly, and not directly. Apparently, in your view, I can, at best know the contents of my own mind, since only that would constitute direct access to the truth. But is it right to argue (as you seem to be doing) that:

1. I can know only if I have direct access to the truth.
2. I can have direct access to the truth only if the truth concerns the contents of my own mind.
3. But knowing does not concern only the contents of my own mind.
4. Thus I cannot know that Quito is the capital of Ecuador (or that Lincoln was assassinated". ?

Why cannot we have inferential knowledge as well as direct knowledge? Or, inferential access to the truth as well as direct access to the truth?

I think part of the problem may be that in the case of direct knowledge of our mental states like the sensation of pain, our knowledge seems to be incorrigible. We cannot be mistaken (whether that is true is a different question). So that we think that only if we cannot be mistaken, can we "really" know what we claim to know. But that means that absolute certainty, the impossibility of error, is a necessary criterion of knowledge. And, is that true? As I pointed out earlier, for truth to be a necessary condition of knowing, we know only if we are not mistaken. But that does not mean that we know only if it is impossible for us to be mistaken. And that is an important distinction between the actuality of mistake, and the impossibility of mistaken. If only the inactuality of mistake is required for knowledge, then we do not require direct access to the truth. But if the impossibility of mistake is required, then, of course, direct access is required to the truth. But what is the argument for the view that certainty, or the impossibility of error is required for knowledge? There is no such good argument that I know of.

paulhanke

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 12:56 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;102646 wrote:
This is where I become confused: Access to truth.

... and I think this has always been a problem ... think about it: if we had direct access to truth, what would be the point of a JTB model in the first place? ... that is, if we had direct access to truth, then knowledge would simply be truth ... that we do not have direct access to truth is precisely why we rely instead on justified belief ... so if we then turn around and define knowledge in terms of something we do not have access to - justified true belief - then by definition we cannot know what we know ...

---------- Post added 11-09-2009 at 12:10 PM ----------

kennethamy;102647 wrote:
But is it right to argue (as you seem to be doing) that:

1. I can know only if I have direct access to the truth.
2. I can have direct access to the truth only if the truth concerns the contents of my own mind.
3. But knowing does not concern only the contents of my own mind.
4. Thus I cannot know that Quito is the capital of Ecuador (or that Lincoln was assassinated". ?

Why cannot we have inferential knowledge as well as direct knowledge? Or, inferential access to the truth as well as direct access to the truth?

I think part of the problem may be that in the case of direct knowledge of our mental states like the sensation of pain, our knowledge seems to be incorrigible. We cannot be mistaken (whether that is true is a different question). So that we think that only if we cannot be mistaken, can we "really" know what we claim to know. But that means that absolute certainty, the impossibility of error, is a necessary criterion of knowledge. And, is that true? As I pointed out earlier, for truth to be a necessary condition of knowing, we know only if we are not mistaken. But that does not mean that we know only if it is impossible for us to be mistaken. And that is an important distinction between the actuality of mistake, and the impossibility of mistaken. If only the inactuality of mistake is required for knowledge, then we do not require direct access to the truth. But if the impossibility of mistake is required, then, of course, direct access is required to the truth. But what is the argument for the view that certainty, or the impossibility of error is required for knowledge? There is no such good argument that I know of.

... and that is a nice criticism of the definition of knowledge as "justified true belief" Smile ... also, note that I am not arguing for a definition of knowledge as "justified true belief" - I am simply following the definition to its logical conclusions, as you have just done, and found it wanting ...

kennethamy

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 02:12 pm
@paulhanke,
paulhanke;102648 wrote:
---------- Post added 11-09-2009 at 12:10 PM ----------

... and that is a nice criticism of the definition of knowledge as "justified true belief" Smile ... also, note that I am not arguing for a definition of knowledge as "justified true belief" - I am simply following the definition to its logical conclusions, as you have just done, and found it wanting ...

I don't think I found it wanting. What I found is that there is no good argument for certainty being a necessary condition of knowledge, nor that our knowledge of our own mental states need be a model of all knowledge. I know that you are not arguing for the JTB model. But I am, and I see no good objection to it. And, I am not clear just what your objection is. But consider this: suppose that certainty were a necessary condition of knowledge, and suppose "direct access" to truth were a necessary condition of knowledge as you seem to be arguing. Then there could be no scientific knowledge, We, then, would not know, as we believe we do know that water is H20, nor that Mars is the fourth planet. And we would not know more today than we did 100 years ago, since most of what we know today is the result of science. Have you an answer to that objection?

Zetherin

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 02:48 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;102660 wrote:
I don't think I found it wanting. What I found is that there is no good argument for certainty being a necessary condition of knowledge, nor that our knowledge of our own mental states need be a model of all knowledge. I know that you are not arguing for the JTB model. But I am, and I see no good objection to it. And, I am not clear just what your objection is. But consider this: suppose that certainty were a necessary condition of knowledge, and suppose "direct access" to truth were a necessary condition of knowledge as you seem to be arguing. Then there could be no scientific knowledge, We, then, would not know, as we believe we do know that water is H20, nor that Mars is the fourth planet. And we would not know more today than we did 100 years ago, since most of what we know today is the result of science. Have you an answer to that objection?

To continue the building upon of ideas, does one have to know? If I think H2O is what water is composed of, and I use this information, with other information, to create a hydrogen bomb, does it necessarily follow that I know that H2O is the composition of water?

What I'm trying to say is that it's very clear that we've built upon ideas to come to new, and often times more advanced, ideas. However, does any of this have to necessarily do with knowledge, though? Or at least knowledge that has to do with truth?

Could it be that all of our advancements are held together by strings of justifications, rather than knowledge?

paulhanke

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 03:07 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;102660 wrote:
But consider this: suppose that certainty were a necessary condition of knowledge, and suppose "direct access" to truth were a necessary condition of knowledge as you seem to be arguing.

... actually, what I was saying was that you need direct access to truth in order to know what you know - that is, in order to know that your knowledge is in fact knowledge you need access to the truth state of your knowledge ... but I'm beginning to see that I've fallen into the same trap of using the same term in different capacities in the same sentence Wink ... I was thinking that you needed to establish that a belief was both justified and true in order to know what you knew it ... in other words, what I was intending when I said "know what you know" was really "establish the knowledge status of your justified true beliefs" ... but if you instead expand "know what you know" with the JTB equivalent it quickly becomes evident that this is not the case: to "have a justified true belief that you have a justified true belief" simply means that all you have to have is a justified true belief that your beliefs are both justified and true ... oops! - sorry! :ashamed: ... thanks for setting me straight Smile ...

kennethamy;102660 wrote:
Then there could be no scientific knowledge, We, then, would not know, as we believe we do know that water is H20, nor that Mars is the fourth planet. And we would not know more today than we did 100 years ago, since most of what we know today is the result of science. Have you an answer to that objection?

... what here seems to be hanging me up here is the idea that if I hold a justified belief that this justified belief could count as knowledge yesterday (i.e., it was true yesterday) and not knowledge today (i.e., it is not true today) ... so is the problem that I am looking at things from a personal perspective when epistemology is actually about a cultural phenomenon? ... that is, is epistemology really about how a body of knowledge evolves over time independent of individuals, and not about how an individual comes to develop justified beliefs? ...

---------- Post added 11-09-2009 at 02:16 PM ----------

Zetherin;102663 wrote:
Could it be that all of our advancements are held together by strings of justifications, rather than knowledge?

... that's an interesting question: can there really be such a thing as a "body of knowledge", or just a "body of tentative knowledge"? ...

Zetherin

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 03:24 pm
@kennethamy,
paulhanke wrote:

... that's an interesting question: can there really be such a thing as a "body of knowledge", or just a "body of tentative knowledge"? ...

It's very clear that from generation to generation we are believing things which have justifications. Those things we do not feel have adequate justifications, we don't call knowledge, and we often don't believe (and we often contest them... which is a good thing!). This, for whatever it's worth, could be dubbed the "body of X"; the collective and temporal culmination of what we believe based on justification we find to be good.

I just don't know if any of this has to do with knowledge, or if even knowledge exists. Is knowledge an idealistic notion? Should we revise this notion - have we matured, and come to grips with uncertainty, as a species? Tentative knowledge seems a bit contradictory. We're still trying to keep the word "knowledge" in the mix, because, I think, it gives us some certainty, and we fear not having it.

paulhanke

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 03:52 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;102671 wrote:
I just don't know if any of this has to do with knowledge, or if even knowledge exists. Is knowledge an idealistic notion? Should we revise this notion - have we matured, and come to grips with uncertainty, as a species? Tentative knowledge seems a bit contradictory. We're still trying to keep the word "knowledge" in the mix, because, I think, it gives us some certainty, and we fear not having it.

... as crazy as it may sound, perhaps a refined sense of the JTB model of knowledge is idealistic but at the same time comes to grips with inherent uncertainty ... it is idealistic in that it incorporates "truth" in its definition, the ideal of direct access to truth being beyond us; but at the same time it also tries to come to grips with inherent uncertainty by incorporating "justified belief" ... which leads one to a strange situation: you can be certain that your beliefs are justified (e.g., they are logically coherent), but you cannot be certain that your justified beliefs are knowledge Wink ...

ACB

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 07:06 pm
@paulhanke,
paulhanke;102645 wrote:

I don't think so. Even if we adopt (as I think we should) the "loose" criterion of truth (i.e. "beyond a reasonable doubt"), truth is still a necessary element of knowledge. Even with the loose criterion, a justified belief (e.g. the belief of the ancients that the Sun went round the Earth) can still turn out to be untrue. If we define knowledge simply as justified belief, we have to say that they knew that the Sun went round the Earth, since they were justified (by the totality of human knowledge in their day) in believing that it did. This is a conclusion that I think we should try to avoid at all costs, since it conflicts with the commonly accepted idea of knowledge. If we allow that something false can be known, we are in effect redefining knowledge.

To sum up, therefore:

1. By definition, knowledge implies truth. A well justified belief may turn out to be false. Therefore, justification is not enough to constitute knowledge; we need truth also.

2. "Beyond all doubt" is too stringent a criterion for truth, as it would lead to the undesirable conclusion that we know nothing outside our own mind. We should therefore adopt the criterion of "beyond a reasonable doubt".

3. If our present beliefs are justified in the light of current human understanding, we are entitled to call them knowledge. If future discoveries show that they were false, then we (or posterity) should deny that they were really knowledge. But if we or posterity find them still true beyond reasonable doubt, we/they should maintain the claim that they were knowledge.

paulhanke

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 08:13 pm
@ACB,
ACB;102691 wrote:
3. If our present beliefs are justified in the light of current human understanding, we are entitled to call them knowledge. If future discoveries show that they were false, then we (or posterity) should deny that they were really knowledge. But if we or posterity find them still true beyond reasonable doubt, we/they should maintain the claim that they were knowledge.

... so it sounds like the correct way to view epistemology is as a theory of how knowledge works within cultures (e.g., one culture affirming/denying the status of knowledge to what an earlier/other culture counts as knowledge), and not necessarily as a theory of how knowledge works within individuals ... and if that is the case, is knowing then a cultural event (and not a mental event)? ...

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 11:28:08