The Selfish Nature Of All Actions

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

boagie

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2007 07:21 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
I don't think you understand. It was the person who ran out of gas who was distressed. Wouldn't you be? The person who helped, was inconvenienced, but that is just what was nice about him.
Look, it isn't such a big deal to go out of your way to drive someone to a gas station, and then drive him back to his car. Why would someone have to be a psychopath to do that? Maybe he is just being nice. Has the motive of just being nice been overlooked by the psychological community? Why do you think so. But, suppose it has been, so much the worse for the psychological community.

Kennethamy,Surprised

I apologize for getting upset with you.It dawned upon me it is my own frustration in not be able to comminicate with you.Please do accept my apology.Surprised

Think about it this way, very individual is the centre of their own universe, the universe the individual finds himself in is full of objects, only through indentification with, does the subject have compassion for said object/s. People too are objects, taking up both space and time, with no identification with, those people remain largely objects to this said individual. The drama of what modivates this individual after the initial stimulus of [circumstance] takes place entirely within the said subject. The circumstance itself has no meaning that the subject does not give it, the individual is subject and the physical world is object.All meaning is given by the subject, meaning that all individual value judgements,morals,ethics ect...are all subjective.The decision to act is not determined out there in the outer world,the objective world,it is ALL subjective.One must be moved within to modivate action in the world.

Justin

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 07:03 pm
@kennethamy,
I think something here is overlooked. In Twain's book, "What is Man", the above scenario can easily be seen as just a nice guy doing a nice thing. However, people do nice things to help each other. Out of the kindness in a persons heart, they give freely of themselves.... life is a box of chocolates.:rolleyes:

Why do you do the things you do?

.... Think about it for a moment. Take a good look at everything you do in your life, and ask yourself again... Why do I do the things I do?

Why?...

...Why do I choose to do the things I do?[INDENT]Why do I listen to the music?
Why do like to golf?
Why do I watch football?
Why do I always pick up hitch hikers?
Why do I love people?
Why do I donate to charities?
[/INDENT]The above are examples to get us thinking. The BIG question here is WHY?

Well, that's very easy... because... It makes us feel good!

It's reciprocal. Most people do things out of the kindness of their heart because it makes themselves feel good. If it made you feel bad, you wouldn't do it.

Look at everything in life and everything you do. You do what you do because it makes you feel good!

Again, cause not effect. Sure, it's an entirely different way of looking at it but it makes perfect sense. Couple it with the teachings of Jesus and many enlightened individuals throughout history, it really makes sense.

We do the things we do because it makes us feel good! Why are we here? What is our purpose. What is our life's mission statement? The majority of everyone I have ever met... All of them. Seek peace-of-mind and contentment. Therefore we execute our lives in accordance with the demands of Our Spirit.

Everyone in this room, please raise your hand if you seek peace of mind and contentment! We want to know truth so we can be content and have peace of mind.

a quote from Twain's book:[INDENT]
Quote:
"Our consciences take no notice of pain inflicted upon others until it reaches a point where it gives pain to us."
[/INDENT]This is a great topic. The difficulty is that some people live of the world and for the world without recognizing the greater I AM. They have little or no awareness of their own essence.

boagie

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 07:39 pm
@Justin,
Hi Justin!
Quote:

"Well, that's very easy... because... It makes us feel good!"
Smile It is true it makes you feel good, many times by relieveing the discomfort of not feeling good due to the given circumstance. It is all subjective, all the psychology of the individual. "It makes us feel good," but why does it make you feel good, it feels good because it is serveing a value held by the subject.
Quote:
"It's reciprocal. Most people do things out of the kindness of their heart because it makes themselves feel good. If it made you feel bad, you wouldn't do it."
Smile Obviously,the same princples are at work across the board
Quote:
"Look at everything in life and everything you do. You do what you do because it makes you feel good! "
Smile Again why does it make you feel good?
Quote:
"Again, cause not effect. Sure, it's an entirely different way of looking at it but it makes perfect sense. Couple it with the teachings of Jesus and many enlightened individuals throughout history, it really makes sense."
Smile I believe you are mistaken here, feeling good is a product of your actions,feeling good is not cause,it is effect,it might be said to be the goal of the actions of the individual.What motivates is a value,a personal belief,the terms of ones self image.

Quote:
a quote from Twain's book:[INDENT]Quote:[/INDENT][INDENT]"Our consciences take no notice of pain inflicted upon others until it reaches a point where it gives pain to us."[/INDENT]
Smile The means by which the pain reaches us is through identification with, this is the foundation of all morality.
Quote:
This is a great topic. The difficulty is that some people live of the world and for the world without recognizing the greater I AM. They have little or no awareness of their own essence.
Smile Justin, this is quite a statement, would you like to expand on what you believe is your essence, a rational explanation. What is this I AM that most people do not grasp?

kennethamy

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 08:31 pm
@Justin,
Justin wrote:

Well, that's very easy... because... It makes us feel good!

It's reciprocal. Most people do things out of the kindness of their heart because it makes themselves feel good. If it made you feel bad, you wouldn't do it.

I don't think that is true. People have a variety of motives for doing what they do. And some of the things people do make them feel bad. For example, when I was much younger, my aunt went to the hospital. I went to visit her, but I simply hated, and still hate going to a hospital. I makes me feel ill to do so. Furthermore, to tell you the truth, I didn't even like my aunt. She was quite mean, and nasty. So, why did I go to visit her. Well, I believed that it was the right thing to do. That it was an obligation. So I did not visit my aunt because it made me feel good. On the contrary, I felt terrible. I did not (in the worst way) want to visit her. But I just believed it was my duty to visit her. I visited her out of a sense of duty. So you must be wrong. I did it although it made me feel bad to do it. Nowadays I sometimes have to go to funerals. They make me feel awful. But sometimes I have to do it, because I am a member of the family. and I really have no choice. I can tell you that I don't attend funerals because it makes me feel good. It makes me feel just awful.

Have you gone to funerals? Does it make you feel good to go to funerals? I doubt it. But you go anyway, don't you? So how can you say that you go to funerals because it makes you feel good?

boagie

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 08:48 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
I don't think that is true. People have a variety of motives for doing what they do. And some of the things people do make them feel bad. For example, when I was much younger, my aunt went to the hospital. I went to visit her, but I simply hated, and still hate going to a hospital. I makes me feel ill to do so. Furthermore, to tell you the truth, I didn't even like my aunt. She was quite mean, and nasty. So, why did I go to visit her. Well, I believed that it was the right thing to do. That it was an obligation. So I did not visit my aunt because it made me feel good. On the contrary, I felt terrible. I did not (in the worst way) want to visit her. But I just believed it was my duty to visit her. I visited her out of a sense of duty. So you must be wrong. I did it although it made me feel bad to do it. Nowadays I sometimes have to go to funerals. They make me feel awful. But sometimes I have to do it, because I am a member of the family. and I really have no choice. I can tell you that I don't attend funerals because it makes me feel good. It makes me feel just awful.

Have you gone to funerals? Does it make you feel good to go to funerals? I doubt it. But you go anyway, don't you? So how can you say that you go to funerals because it makes you feel good?

kennethamy,

The point is what modivated you was your belief in duty, the right thing to do, or what is the proper behaviour for a given situtation. No one likes funerals we go out of respect and careing for those left behind, and perhaps because it is the proper/expected and honourable behaviour. You have stated here your self that you did not really wish to do something, so, look at what made you do it, that is what we are talking about. It was unpleasant yet you did it, why? Because it would have made you uneasy not to behaved as you THOUGHT YOU SHOULD. Can you not see where this would be self serveing to the pysche of the subject?

Justin

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 08:54 pm
@boagie,
boagie wrote:

Smile I believe you are mistaken here, feeling good is a product of your actions,feeling good is not cause,it is effect,it might be said to be the goal of the actions of the individual.What motivates is a value,a personal belief,the terms of ones self image.

;)If I'm mistaken here, then what causes man's action? Certainly not his earthly body... I never said feeling good was the cause, I was speaking in terms of looking at the entire picture... this is how I look at things not necessarily nailing down anything.

What causes man to act? I believe action is cause and effect. Man acts in accord with the demands of his spirit. His spirit seeking peace of mind and contentment as described in Twain.

The goal of an action is very simple, to complete that action. What is it that controls man to act if it's not his spirit?

Either way, we go through life everyday and experience cause and effect, action and reaction and it applies to everything, everywhere. Where there is action, there is re-action and there's action everywhere. There is however but One cause.

boagie wrote:
Smile Justin, this is quite a statement,would you like to expand on what you believe is your essence,a rational explanation.What is this I AM that most people do not grasp?

:rolleyes:Not really because it's another topic altogether. I may have worded it wrong. Sometimes the fingers just flow with different thoughts. My point is in the above statement is that some people recognize a spiritual side to things while others don't. Many live life by faith alone, never recognizing the spiritual side of everything. If they don't recognize their very own spirit, then how can they determine this. As we sit here and type, there are others out there watching football games or at the bar or whatever.

I know this for certain... if I had one wish for my life and for my family and friends, it would be that they could find peace of mind and contentment.

"I AM" is referring to what's commonly known as GOD, in most all religions. That is also another topic altogether.Smile

kennethamy wrote:

You didn't want to go to the hospital because it made you feel bad and you didn't like your aunt but you thought it was your duty... Correct? Who gave you this duty? Could it possibly be that it wasn't for her sake at all but for the sake of your own spiritual contentment? If you are a person of duty, then it would make your spirit uncomfortable because you weren't performing your duties.

You said you believed it was the right thing to do... Well, who told you that? Where did you get that message? What inside of you made you perform an action that made you feel bad?

Look at it this way. If you hadn't gone and visited her, you would have brought discomfort to yourself. You had a duty and obligation because she was your aunt. This may have made you feel bad... or you think, but you may have felt worse if you hadn't, because you believed it was your duty. Seeing her could have very well been a sacrifice to bring comfort to yourself.

Quote:
Nowadays I sometimes have to go to funerals. They make me feel awful. But sometimes I have to do it, because I am a member of the family. and I really have no choice. I can tell you that I don't attend funerals because it makes me feel good. It makes me feel just awful.
I'm with you on this. I don't like funerals either. However, if it's a member of my family or a close friend, it would bring me great spiritual discomfort if I didn't go. Not only would my family say something but I would be thinking about it and it would be bothersome to me for a long time. So, I would make a small sacrifice of going to the funeral, so that it wouldn't cause me spiritual discomfort. If we don't go, in the back of our minds we know we should have and this brings discomfort.

Think about it...

Think about it....

boagie

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 09:16 pm
@Justin,
Justin,

Originally Posted by boagie http://www.philosophyforum.com/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif
Smile I believe you are mistaken here, feeling good is a product of your actions,feeling good is not cause,it is effect,it might be said to be the goal of the actions of the individual.What motivates is a value,a personal belief,the terms of ones self image."

Wink"If I'm mistaken here, then what causes man's action? Certainly not his earthly body... I never said feeling good was the cause, I was speaking in terms of looking at the entire picture... this is how I look at things not necessarily nailing down anything." I have no idea what that means! obscurity?

Smile It is generally a negative that moves one to action, for generally it is the need of the subject that is to be fulfilled, an organism's ability of mobility might well be as here, modivated by need. I think too we run into a small problem with semantics,you wish to call the psyche the spirit,as long as we both understand these terms as one and the same thing there is no problem.

"What causes man to act? I believe action is an effect. Man acts in accord with the demands of his spirit. His spirit seeking peace of mind and contentment as described in Twain."

Smile This is a bit of a slippery one, I think you stated that feeling good was a cause, well does it often come before the action, no it is a product of the fulfillment of the subject, whatever the modivating term is.

"Most people do things out of the kindness of their heart because it makes themselves feel good. If it made you feel bad, you wouldn't do it.
Again, cause not effect. Sure, it's an entirely different way of looking at it but it makes perfect sense. Couple it with the teachings of Jesus and many enlightened individuals throughout history, it really makes sense."

Smile It kind of sounds like its a cause here Justin, the fact is that modivation in all instances is negative, in that all action is to fulfill a need, if this were not so there would be no need for action, thus no action would come to pass.

Perhaps if agreement cannot be reach presently we need to define our terms, do we all have the same defination of compassion, identifying with, self-sacrifice, psyche and spirt or other terms?:rolleyes:

kennethamy

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2007 02:35 pm
@Mr Fight the Power,
Mr. Fight the Power wrote:
Desire is the cause of action.

Desire cannot be anything but self-involved.

All action is selfish.

How is the desire to help someone in need, selfish? If it were selfish, it would be depriving someone of something that person was entitled to. How would, for instance, my desire to go to bed because I am tired, be selfish? Or to have a sandwich for lunch because I am hungry? To be selfish, you have to take something from someone, and treat that person adversely. If, for instance a mother leaves two pieces of cake for her sons, one for each, and one of the son's eats both his and his brother's, that's being selfish. But why would it be selfish for the boy just to eat his own piece of cake, and leave his brother's piece for his brother. Are you saying that if one son ate only his own piece of cake, and left the other one as he was supposed to, the mother would be right to call him selfish because he ate his own piece of cake? I don't think that's the way the word, "selfish" is used in English. Do you?

boagie

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2007 02:54 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
How is the desire to help someone in need, selfish? If it were selfish, it would be depriving someone of something that person was entitled to. How would, for instance, my desire to go to bed because I am tired, be selfish? Or to have a sandwich for lunch because I am hungry? To be selfish, you have to take something from someone, and treat that person adversely. If, for instance a mother leaves two pieces of cake for her sons, one for each, and one of the son's eats both his and his brother's, that's being selfish. But why would it be selfish for the boy just to eat his own piece of cake, and leave his brother's piece for his brother. Are you saying that if one son ate only his own piece of cake, and left the other one as he was supposed to, the mother would be right to call him selfish because he ate his own piece of cake? I don't think that's the way the word, "selfish" is used in English. Do you?

Kennethamy,Smile

You are still stuck with the sematic problem, to fulfill a personal need is self-serveing-thus selfish. To take advantage of another to fulfill your needs is selfish. If the action did not involve another being, but serves the needs of the subject it again is self-serveing, thus selfish, not selfish in the way of taking advantage of someonelse but selfish none the less,it is done for ones self.You need to get a handle on the different connotations here. Maybe this will help, all action is to fulfill a need, no need, no action, the action then necessarily fulfills first the need of the subject, the subject is then self-fulfilled-----feels good!

kennethamy

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2007 05:13 pm
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
Kennethamy,Smile

You are still stuck with the sematic problem, to fulfill a personal need is self-serveing-thus selfish. To take advantage of another to fulfill your needs is selfish. If the action did not involve another being, but serves the needs of the subject it again is self-serveing, thus selfish, not selfish in the way of taking advantage of someonelse but selfish none the less,it is done for ones self.

I know you think that is true. The question is, why you think that is true. And, of course, whether you are correct to think it is true. Just repeating your view does not make your view true. I serve my need (I suppose) when I go to sleep when I am tired. To say that is selfish is preposterous. Therefore, it follows, that is is not true that whenever I serve my need, I am being selfish. You really have to distinguish between being self-interested and being selfish. Philosophy is largely about making important distinctions.

boagie

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2007 05:38 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
I know you think that is true. The question is, why you think that is true. And, of course, whether you are correct to think it is true. Just repeating your view does not make your view true. I serve my need (I suppose) when I go to sleep when I am tired. To say that is selfish is preposterous. Therefore, it follows, that is is not true that whenever I serve my need, I am being selfish. You really have to distinguish between being self-interested and being selfish. Philosophy is largely about making important distinctions.

Kennethamy,

Yes there is a distinction to be made, when one serves ones self at the cost of another, that is said to be selfish -------agreed? When one reaches for a glass of water to quench his thirsty this too is said to be selfish, it is selfish in the sense that the subject is serveing himself, in both cases he is serveing himself. If I give into a beggar because I would feel very uncomfortable denying the poor, I am also serveing myself first, it is my discomfort which moves me to give to the said begger. I would have to have some belief both about the beggar and myself to move me give him money. If I believed he was needy I would feel most uncomfortable in denying him, I do not like to feel uncomfortable, I give. We understand what you mean, it is not quite the same, but it is remarkable similar, the commonality is, in all cases it is selfsevering,giveing satisfys your need to give before it serves the beggers need. Kennethamy, to go to bed when you are tired is selfserveing and selfish in the sense that you are serveing your own needs, no it has nothing to do with other and it is not preposterous,it is the sutle problem of semantics.The Question remains what modivates.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2007 06:54 am
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
Kennethamy,

Yes there is a distinction to be made, when one serves ones self at the cost of another, that is said to be selfish -------agreed? When one reaches for a glass of water to quench his thirsty this too is said to be selfish, it is selfish in the sense that the subject is serveing himself, in both cases he is serveing himself. If I give into a beggar because I would feel very uncomfortable denying the poor, I am also serveing myself first, it is my discomfort which moves me to give to the said begger. I would have to have some belief both about the beggar and myself to move me give him money. If I believed he was needy I would feel most uncomfortable in denying him, I do not like to feel uncomfortable, I give. We understand what you mean, it is not quite the same, but it is remarkable similar, the commonality is, in all cases it is selfsevering,giveing satisfys your need to give before it serves the beggers need. Kennethamy, to go to bed when you are tired is selfserveing and selfish in the sense that you are serveing your own needs, no it has nothing to do with other and it is not preposterous,it is the sutle problem of semantics.The Question remains what modivates.

But there is no "sense of 'selfish'" "in the sense of serving himself". You just made it up. And to distinguish between being selfish because we are acting in a way to benefit ourselves at the expense of someone else, and just doing something for ourselves which does not affect others adversely, is exactly the distinction between "selfishness" and "self-interest" which you continue to confuse.

Look, when I say of someone that he is selfish, I am blaming that person for doing something immoral. Unless I think he is doing something wrong, I should not blame him for it. Selfishness is morally wrong because the selfish person is affecting other people adversely by taking something he is not entitled to; by, as I said, benefiting himself at the expense of someone else. But doing things like going to sleep when tired, and taking a glass of water when thirsty, is not morally wrong when it affects no one, and does not benefit you by harming others. And, so, it is an abuse of the word, "selfish" to use it in that way. And, besides, it is morally wrong to blame someone for being selfish when he is not being selfish by acting for his own benefit at another's expense. You should not imply that someone is doing something morally wrong when he is not doing something morally wrong. Don't you agree?

I agree that when a person acts self-interestedly, that is not an occasion for giving him any moral medals. He acted to benefit himself, so there is no reason to praise him. But neither is it any reason to blame him unless you believe that no one should act in any way that is not altruistic.* But you don't believe that do you? You don't believe that unless someone is being altruistic, and acting for the benefit of others, that person is being selfish, so you. But that is what you seem to be saying. You seem to be saying that either a person is altruistic or he is selfish, and there is no in between possibility. That is what is sometimes called "black or white" thinking, and is usually counted as a fallacy. It is possible to be neither selfish, nor altruistic .In fact, that is what most of us are most of the time. Most of the time, we act, self-interestedly (but neither altruistically nor selfishly).

*I think that some saints may have thought that way. But I don't suppose that you count yourself among them. Do you?

boagie

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2007 08:31 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
But there is no "sense of 'selfish'" "in the sense of serving himself". You just made it up. And to distinguish between being selfish because we are acting in a way to benefit ourselves at the expense of someone else, and just doing something for ourselves which does not affect others adversely, is exactly the distinction between "selfishness" and "self-interest" which you continue to confuse.

Look, when I say of someone that he is selfish, I am blaming that person for doing something immoral. Unless I think he is doing something wrong, I should not blame him for it. Selfishness is morally wrong because the selfish person is affecting other people adversely by taking something he is not entitled to; by, as I said, benefiting himself at the expense of someone else. But doing things like going to sleep when tired, and taking a glass of water when thirsty, is not morally wrong when it affects no one, and does not benefit you by harming others. And, so, it is an abuse of the word, "selfish" to use it in that way. And, besides, it is morally wrong to blame someone for being selfish when he is not being selfish by acting for his own benefit at another's expense. You should not imply that someone is doing something morally wrong when he is not doing something morally wrong. Don't you agree?

I agree that when a person acts self-interestedly, that is not an occasion for giving him any moral medals. He acted to benefit himself, so there is no reason to praise him. But neither is it any reason to blame him unless you believe that no one should act in any way that is not altruistic.* But you don't believe that do you? You don't believe that unless someone is being altruistic, and acting for the benefit of others, that person is being selfish, so you. But that is what you seem to be saying. You seem to be saying that either a person is altruistic or he is selfish, and there is no in between possibility. That is what is sometimes called "black or white" thinking, and is usually counted as a fallacy. It is possible to be neither selfish, nor altruistic .In fact, that is what most of us are most of the time. Most of the time, we act, self-interestedly (but neither altruistically nor selfishly).

*I think that some saints may have thought that way. But I don't suppose that you count yourself among them. Do you?

kennethamy.

Saint Boagie, it does have a ring! Kennethamy the problem is your see me disgreeing with you when I am not. I am quite able to make the distinction between a self-serveing act which benifits others, and a self-serveing act at the expense of others. What you do not seem to get is in both instances the act is first self-serveing thus selfish, the difference, the act at the expense of others is entirely selfish, the other form of act which is self-serveing is only so in the sense that that is what moves the subject to act in the first place.

The circumstance has created a need in the subject, he sees someone in distress, it makes him uncomfortable, he does not like feeling uncomfortable, and if he is a compassionate man to do nothing would mean staying with that discomfort, his behaviour is dictated by his compassion, the belief he has of himself as a compassionate individual. The circumstance is simply the trigger, the character of the man determines his actions, and the action then serves to support the said character of the man. I do not think there ever has been anyone in this dialogue who could not distinguish the totally selfish act which victumizes another, from the self serveing nature of our everyday actions, they are selfish because they are self-serveing,not because they are immoral.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2007 09:35 am
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
kennethamy.

Saint Boagie, it does have a ring! Kennethamy the problem is your see me disgreeing with you when I am not. I am quite able to make the distinction between a self-serveing act which benifits others, and a self-serveing act at the expense of others. What you do not seem to get is in both instances the act is first self-serveing thus selfish, the difference, the act at the expense of others is entirely selfish, the other form of act which is self-serveing is only so in the sense that that is what moves the subject to act in the first place.

The circumstance has created a need in the subject, he sees someone in distress, it makes him uncomfortable, he does not like feeling uncomfortable, and if he is a compassionate man to do nothing would mean staying with that discomfort, his behaviour is dictated by his compassion, the belief he has of himself as a compassionate individual. The circumstance is simply the trigger, the character of the man determines his actions, and the action then serves to support the said character of the man. I do not think there ever has been anyone in this dialogue who could not distinguish the totally selfish act which victumizes another, from the self serveing nature of our everyday actions, they are selfish because they are self-serveing,not because they are immoral.

But do you make a distinction between a self-interested act that may benefit the agent, but does not affect others whether by benefiting them, or by harming them? An action that affects only the agent?

What I don't get, I am afraid, is why a self-interested act need be selfish, in any sense at all. I can but repeat that to call an act "selfish" is to condemn the act. It is to say that the act is wrong. A selfish person is an immoral person. That is what the word, "selfish", means. But a person who takes a glass of water to assuage his thirst is a person who has done a self-interested act. But he surely has not, thereby, done anything immoral. And since he has not done anything immoral, and since to call him (or the act) "selfish", is to say that the person has done something immoral by taking a glass of water to assuage his thirst, which is clearly untrue, that person has not been or done anything selfish. Here, I'll lay the argument out for you:

1. If a person does something selfish, then that person has done something immoral.
2. But a self-interested act need not be immoral. (e.g. drinking a glass of water).

Therefore, 3. A self-interested act need not be selfish. Q.E.D.

If you reject the conclusion of that argument, then you must either reject its validity (that the conclusion follows from the premises) or you must reject the truth or one or more of the premises (or both). What is it you reject, and why?

P.S. I think that your insistence on using the term, "self-serving" may be what is confusing you. The term, "self-serving" has a negative connotation in the way the term, "selfish" does. In fact, they are near synonyms. But taking a glass of water is neither selfish, nor is it "self-serving" in any negative sense. That is why I prefer the term, "self-interested" since it is more neutral than is either "selfish" or "self-serving". I deny that taking a glass of water, when it affects no one but the agent, is either selfish, or that it is self-serving (in the negative sense you mean it, where it is a synonym of "selfish"). Why not drop the term, "self-serving" which begs the question, and just adopt the more neutral term, "self-interested"? I, of course, deny that an act is selfish because it is self-interested for reasons previously given. Now, what you mean by "self-serving" I really cannot tell. If you mean, "selfish" that is just wrong. For a selfish action is necessarily immoral. That is what the word, "selfish" means.

To call someone, "selfish" is to condemn that person, or to blame him
But, there is no reason to condemn or blame a person for taking a glass of water, which affects no one else.

Therefore, to take a glass of water (which affects no one else) is not selfish.

Why do you think that when I call someone a selfish person, I am not disapproving of his actions? Think what you would mean if you were not doing philosophy, or ask other people who speak English whether they would not be disapproving of a person whom they thought was selfish?

boagie

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2007 11:01 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
But do you make a distinction between a self-interested act that may benefit the agent, but does not affect others whether by benefiting them, or by harming them? An action that affects only the agent?

What I don't get, I am afraid, is why a self-interested act need be selfish, in any sense at all. I can but repeat that to call an act "selfish" is to condemn the act. It is to say that the act is wrong. A selfish person is an immoral person. That is what the word, "selfish", means. But a person who takes a glass of water to assuage his thirst is a person who has done a self-interested act. But he surely has not, thereby, done anything immoral. And since he has not done anything immoral, and since to call him (or the act) "selfish", is to say that the person has done something immoral by taking a glass of water to assuage his thirst, which is clearly untrue, that person has not been or done anything selfish. Here, I'll lay the argument out for you:

1. If a person does something selfish, then that person has done something immoral.
2. But a self-interested act need not be immoral. (e.g. drinking a glass of water).

Therefore, 3. A self-interested act need not be selfish. Q.E.D.

If you reject the conclusion of that argument, then you must either reject its validity (that the conclusion follows from the premises) or you must reject the truth or one or more of the premises (or both). What is it you reject, and why?

P.S. I think that your insistence on using the term, "self-serving" may be what is confusing you. The term, "self-serving" has a negative connotation in the way the term, "selfish" does. In fact, they are near synonyms. But taking a glass of water is neither selfish, nor is it "self-serving" in any negative sense. That is why I prefer the term, "self-interested" since it is more neutral than is either "selfish" or "self-serving". I deny that taking a glass of water, when it affects no one but the agent, is either selfish, or that it is self-serving (in the negative sense you mean it, where it is a synonym of "selfish"). Why not drop the term, "self-serving" which begs the question, and just adopt the more neutral term, "self-interested"? I, of course, deny that an act is selfish because it is self-interested for reasons previously given. Now, what you mean by "self-serving" I really cannot tell. If you mean, "selfish" that is just wrong. For a selfish action is necessarily immoral. That is what the word, "selfish" means.

To call someone, "selfish" is to condemn that person, or to blame him
But, there is no reason to condemn or blame a person for taking a glass of water, which affects no one else.

Therefore, to take a glass of water (which affects no one else) is not selfish.

Why do you think that when I call someone a selfish person, I am not disapproving of his actions? Think what you would mean if you were not doing philosophy, or ask other people who speak English whether they would not be disapproving of a person whom they thought was selfish?

kennethamy,Smile

The reason for not abondoning the term self-servering is that it is elemental in understanding the modivation of the actions of the individual. Semantics are said to be a problem when that problem is not understood. I believe you now understand the distinctions of the terms, therefore I fail to understand why it remains a problem for you. The semantics problem has been made the focus topic of this thread for some time,the intention of the thread was to examine what modivates the individual to action,the modivation/s are the needs of the said subject,of which a self-serveing action then fulfills---------nothing personal kennethamy!

kennethamy

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2007 05:36 pm
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
kennethamy,Smile

The reason for not abondoning the term self-servering is that it is elemental in understanding the modivation of the actions of the individual. Semantics are said to be a problem when that problem is not understood. I believe you now understand the distinctions of the terms, therefore I fail to understand why it remains a problem for you. The semantics problem has been made the focus topic of this thread for some time,the intention of the thread was to examine what modivates the individual to action,the modivation/s are the needs of the said subject,of which a self-serveing action then fulfills---------nothing personal kennethamy!

But to be self-serving is just to be self-interested. And to be self-interested is not to be selfish. Therefore, to be self-serving is not to be selfish. Therefore, even if all our actions are self-serving (which is clearly not true) it does not follow that all our actions are selfish.

When we use words, we have to talk about words. Certainly not talk only about words, but certainly talk about words. Of course, if you believe that "self-serving" and "selfish" mean the same, and you believe that all actions are self-serving, you will believe that all actions are selfish. But why would you believe either of those two premises? Both are clearly false.

boagie

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2007 07:26 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
But to be self-serving is just to be self-interested. And to be self-interested is not to be selfish. Therefore, to be self-serving is not to be selfish. Therefore, even if all our actions are self-serving (which is clearly not true) it does not follow that all our actions are selfish.

When we use words, we have to talk about words. Certainly not talk only about words, but certainly talk about words. Of course, if you believe that "self-serving" and "selfish" mean the same, and you believe that all actions are self-serving, you will believe that all actions are selfish. But why would you believe either of those two premises? Both are clearly false.

kennethamy,

All you are doing is again pointing out the semantic problem, if the words used in the first place had been different indeed there would never have been a semantic problem, but they were used and for the reason all ready stated. I do not believe in this dialogue with you, you will ever approach the real topic. So once again, I suggest that in the future that we avoid one another.:cool:

kennethamy

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2007 08:52 pm
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
kennethamy,

, you will ever approach the real topic. So once again, I suggest that in the future that we avoid one another.:cool:

I don't know what you believe the "real topic" is. But unless you get clear about what you are talking about, you will never approach it either. What do you mean by "self-serving" except either "selfish" or "self-interested"? In either case, we are talking about whether actions are selfish, or whether they are self-interested. The introduction of the term, "self-serving" without definition, merely confuses the issue. I guess that is where what you call "semantics" is important. Let's get some clarity rather than confusion. What does, "self-serving" mean, and how is it different from, "self-interested" or from "selfish"?

boagie

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2007 06:35 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
I don't know what you believe the "real topic" is. But unless you get clear about what you are talking about, you will never approach it either. What do you mean by "self-serving" except either "selfish" or "self-interested"? In either case, we are talking about whether actions are selfish, or whether they are self-interested. The introduction of the term, "self-serving" without definition, merely confuses the issue. I guess that is where what you call "semantics" is important. Let's get some clarity rather than confusion. What does, "self-serving" mean, and how is it different from, "self-interested" or from "selfish"?

kennethamy,Sad

This is a merry-go-round and I do not believe you ever wish to ever get off.Do not follow me on the boards and I most asuredly will not fellow you.Sad

kennethamy

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2007 07:08 am
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
kennethamy,Sad

This is a merry-go-round and I do not believe you ever wish to ever get off.Do not follow me on the boards and I most asuredly will not fellow you.Sad

Sure, if you are not interested in discovering what is true, but interested only in your own view which seems to be confused. But, of course, I reserve the right to comment on anything which I think should be commented on. This thread is, after all, not your private preserve. Your replies to my criticisms (if "reply" is the word) were not satisfactory. And if you make further comment, I will criticize them so that they do not mislead and confuse others.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/20/2024 at 08:03:10