Can Libertarian Free Will Be Rescued?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2010 11:40 pm
@prothero,
prothero;158239 wrote:
Now you see you say all this and it is still not clear to me:
do you think there is one possible future (fixed) or many possible futures?
do you think you have the possibility to do otherwise or that your actions, decisions, thoughts and feelings are likewise fixed and determined?

Because I have to tell you when people tell me that they are a compatibilist, an incompatibilist, a determinist or a free will libertarian, I just do not know what they mean anymore. Half the time I do not think they know what they mean. The "ability to do otherwise" and the "fixity of the future" although not without their own conceptual problems at least seem clearer.

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 12:10 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;158243 wrote:

prothero

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 01:22 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;158243 wrote:
It is late. I am tired. but briefly

I do not think the future is fixed. At the very least there is indeterminism in the quantum world (which does not mean there are not causes for quantum behavior). Quantum indeterminism leads to some degree of indeterminism in the macro world as well and there are other reasons, chaos theory, fractals, strange attractors, etc. That is not to say there is not a large degree of order and predictability, just that there is a degree of freedom in the future. I think the conflation of determinism and causality is wrong headed. Determinism is the notion that the future is fixed by the state of the present.

"Libertarian free will" is not behavior without causes or without constraints such a notion is silly. Libertarian free will is the "ability to do otherwise" or perhaps the notion that "moral responsibility" is preserved. I admit that how "free will" would operate is a mystery. It is incompatible with fixity of the future and indeterminism or randomness is no help either. Still I think our sense of rational deliberation and willful choice as well as our sense of our choices affecting or resulting in different futures is real. I think extrapolating from billiard balls to the human mind is a huge stretch and that some mechanism for meaningful free will and moral responsibility will emerge. Perhaps only the "avoidance of futility" and conditioned behaviors but I sense there is more to it than that. I think there is some small degree of freedom present in all events and that events are reality.

ughaibu

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 03:12 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;157893 wrote:
That there is and has only ever been one possible evolution of the world, is the basic and essential claim of determinism.

Maybe it follows from determinism, but that is exactly what soft determinists deny, that it does follow from determinism.
No it is not.
1) soft determinists are determinists
2) if the evolution of the world is not exactly and globally fixed, then determinism is false
3) therefore soft determinist believe that the evolution of the world is exactly and globally fixed.
If you think that some agents on some occasions perform acts of free will, and if you think that free will requires that the evolution of the world is not exactly and globally fixed, then you are a libertarian.

TuringEquivalent

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 03:34 am
@ughaibu,
ughaibu;158317 wrote:
No it is not.
1) soft determinists are determinists
2) if the evolution of the world is not exactly and globally fixed, then determinism is false
3) therefore soft determinist believe that the evolution of the world is exactly and globally fixed.
If you think that some agents on some occasions perform acts of free will, and if you think that free will requires that the evolution of the world is not exactly and globally fixed, then you are a libertarian.

Are you a determinists, or a libertarian?

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 05:22 am
@prothero,
prothero;158290 wrote:
It is late. I am tired. but briefly

I do not think the future is fixed. At the very least there is indeterminism in the quantum world (which does not mean there are not causes for quantum behavior). Quantum indeterminism leads to some degree of indeterminism in the macro world as well and there are other reasons, chaos theory, fractals, strange attractors, etc. That is not to say there is not a large degree of order and predictability, just that there is a degree of freedom in the future. I think the conflation of determinism and causality is wrong headed. Determinism is the notion that the future is fixed by the state of the present.

"Libertarian free will" is not behavior without causes or without constraints such a notion is silly. Libertarian free will is the "ability to do otherwise" or perhaps the notion that "moral responsibility" is preserved. I admit that how "free will" would operate is a mystery. It is incompatible with fixity of the future and indeterminism or randomness is no help either. Still I think our sense of rational deliberation and willful choice as well as our sense of our choices affecting or resulting in different futures is real. I think extrapolating from billiard balls to the human mind is a huge stretch and that some mechanism for meaningful free will and moral responsibility will emerge. Perhaps only the "avoidance of futility" and conditioned behaviors but I sense there is more to it than that. I think there is some small degree of freedom present in all events and that events are reality.

---------- Post added 04-30-2010 at 06:47 AM ----------

ughaibu

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 06:09 am
@TuringEquivalent,
TuringEquivalent;158319 wrote:
Are you a determinists, or a libertarian?
The latter. . . . . . .

TuringEquivalent

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 06:10 am
@ughaibu,
ughaibu;158369 wrote:
The latter. . . . . . .

Then i will argue for the former.

Determinism is true. Everything we know about the physical world is in some way, or another determined by some previous state. Thus, free will is a delusion.
In fact, whatever you ofter, i can explain away using deterministic laws, so, you position is neither necessary, or useful.

Take that.

ughaibu

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 06:17 am
@TuringEquivalent,
TuringEquivalent;158370 wrote:
whatever you ofter, i can explain away using deterministic laws
This is false.
TuringEquivalent;158370 wrote:
you position is neither necessary, or useful.
And this is irrelevant.

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 06:20 am
@ughaibu,
Ola Pepjns !
Have you eared about Coimbra University ? Its really old and full of History...Smile

TuringEquivalent

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 06:26 am
@ughaibu,
ughaibu;158372 wrote:

1.This is false.

2.And this is irrelevant.

1. Not so, if it is true! Whatever you ofter to explain why "free will" theory must be true, you would necessary have to posit something that exist outside of matter in motion. This is contrary to science.

2. No, it is not. If you posit some crazy theory to explains all the experimental facts, and it so happens that our best scientific theory also explains all the experimental facts. The physics theory is favored over your crazy theory.

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 06:29 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;158373 wrote:
Ola Pepjns !
Have you eared about Coimbra University ? Its really old and full of History...Smile

why did? She move from lisboa ?

ughaibu

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 06:31 am
@TuringEquivalent,
TuringEquivalent;158374 wrote:
This is contrary to science.
Determinism and free will are both metaphysical matters, they are outside the scope of science.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 06:33 am
@prothero,
prothero;158131 wrote:

You are I would say both a hard determinist (meaning you think the future is fixed) and an incompatiblist (meaning you think "free will" is false and "hard determinism" is true). Please correct me if I am wrong.

Not that it will make any difference to you, since you seem unusually self assured about what the meaning of these terms are in "true philosophy" but three separate entries in the SEP by three different authors writing about the issue of free will and determinism disagree with your definition and usage of "determinism" and also with your narrow notion of "libertarian free will". I am a non determinist but that does not mean that I think events occur without causes only that I think the future is not fixed. I am also a "libertarian free will advocate" but that does not mean that I think human behavior is without causes, deliberations or reason only that one can do otherwise. We can of course continue to discuss the "true" meaning of these terms but perhaps the more basic concepts about the non fixity of the future and the ability to do otherwise are both more important and clearer. I might add it is not only the people writing for the SEP that use the terms differently than you but also most of the writers in Wiki and the IEP as well as many other sites devoted to philosophy and free will and determinism.

I am reasonably certain what these the philosophical use of these terms is among philosophers, if that is what you mean. Just as I am about what physicists mean by the term, "mass" or "acceleration". Just as in physics technical terms have accepted meanings in philosophy. And what their accepted meanings are is not really debatable. Of course, there may be differences in small details, but not in the general meaning of those terms.

As an illustration, necessarily, all hard determininist are incompatibilists, just as all bachelors are unmarried, and for the same kind of reason. Definition. A hard determinist is: a. a determinist, and b. holds that determinism and free will are incompatible. A combatibilist hard determinist is, therefore, just as much a contradiction in terms as is a married bachelor.

A libertarian cannot be a determinist, again by definition. Libertarianism is the view that free will is true because determinism is false. All libertarians are incompatibilists. That is, they hold that determinism is incompatible with free will. That is simply a fact about how the term "libertarian" is used by philosophers.

This is not a philosophical issue, it is a straight-forwardly factual issue like the spelling of a term. Only it is about the meaning of a term. That it is about the meaning of a philosophical term does not make it a philosophical issue any more than that it is about the spelling of a philosophical term makes it a philosophical issue. The true meaning of a term, so far as I understand that phrase, is simply its meaning. And its meaning consists in the way it is used by those who use it, and in this case, that is philosophers.

TuringEquivalent

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 06:36 am
@ughaibu,
ughaibu;158376 wrote:
Determinism and free will are both metaphysical matters, they are outside the scope of science.

Wrong again!

If you posit entity X to explain conscious, or rather "intentionality", then X is part of science. Free will makes the claim that there exist X, such that X is not explicable by normal science, thus X is contrary to science.

I am right!

A concrete example for this X might be "mind", or "qualia". In both case, they are treated as unanalyzable primitive in physics, but falsifiable, because we can still test it.

---------- Post added 04-30-2010 at 07:44 AM ----------

kennethamy;158377 wrote:
I am reasonably certain what these the philosophical use of these terms is among philosophers, if that is what you mean. Just as I am about what physicists mean by the term, "mass" or "acceleration". Just as in physics technical terms have accepted meanings in philosophy. And what their accepted meanings are is not really debatable. Of course, there may be differences in small details, but not in the general meaning of those terms.

As an illustration, necessarily, all hard determininist are incompatibilists, just as all bachelors are unmarried, and for the same kind of reason. Definition. A hard determinist is: a. a determinist, and b. holds that determinism and free will are incompatible. A combatibilist hard determinist is, therefore, just as much a contradiction in terms as is a married bachelor.

A libertarian cannot be a determinist, again by definition. Libertarianism is the view that free will is true because determinism is false. All libertarians are incompatibilists. That is, they hold that determinism is incompatible with free will. That is simply a fact about how the term "libertarian" is used by philosophers.

This is not a philosophical issue, it is a straight-forwardly factual issue like the spelling of a term. Only it is about the meaning of a term. That it is about the meaning of a philosophical term does not make it a philosophical issue any more than that it is about the spelling of a philosophical term makes it a philosophical issue. The true meaning of a term, so far as I understand that phrase, is simply its meaning. And its meaning consists in the way it is used by those who use it, and in this case, that is philosophers.

What is the argument for a determinist who is also a compatiblist?

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 06:46 am
@Pepijn Sweep,
Pepijn Sweep;158375 wrote:
why did? She move from lisboa ?

---------- Post added 04-30-2010 at 07:51 AM ----------

Lisbon come later on...

---------- Post added 04-30-2010 at 08:18 AM ----------

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 09:00 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
I am terrible at logic ! I think it's so boring. Correlation, waiting in the right line in the supermarket, chance and probability.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 09:50 am
@Pepijn Sweep,
Pepijn Sweep;158416 wrote:
I am terrible at logic ! I think it's so boring.

So those two, being terrible at logic, and finding it boring, are highly correlated in your case. Do you think that one causes the other, and which, do you think, is the cause, and which the effect?

---------- Post added 04-30-2010 at 11:53 AM ----------

TuringEquivalent;158378 wrote:

What is the argument for a determinist who is also a compatiblist?

I am not sure what you mean? But can't a determinist hold that he could have done other than he did do if he had chosen to do something else? Is that what you have in mind?

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 10:18 am
@kennethamy,
:meeting:

I think logic is boring. I have not used much of it for a long Time
and am still alive and happier than ever.

I like ana-logica more, and chance & possibility ... U are aLaughing logic think-ing but their's more to Philosophia.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 10:26 am
@Pepijn Sweep,
Pepijn Sweep;158428 wrote:
:meeting:

I think logic is boring. I have not used much of it for a long Time
and am still alive and happier than ever.

I like ana-logica more, and chance & possibility ... U are aLaughing logic think-ing but their's more to Philosophia.

Yes, as logicians would say, logic is a (very) necessary condition, but not a sufficient condition for philosophy. But, it is a necessary condition. It, by itself, is not enough. But without it, there is nothing but painting pretty pictures on the wall.

And logic is not just thinking. It is correct thinking. It need not be how you think, but it is how you ought to think.

Analogy is fine, but only if there is really an analogy, and you don't just think there is an analogy. If there is not really an analogy, an analogy is worse than useless. It is misleading. And how do you think you tell whether an analogy is really an analogy; whether the analogy is correct? You guessed it. You need logic to do that.

Philosophizing is like rowing a boat (analogy). And without oars or logic (analogy) you cannot get anywhere.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 05:19:11