The Real is Rational

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

HexHammer

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 03:03 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;151044 wrote:
True. But what else have you got up your sleeve? I would like to see the rest of your brain. :Glasses:
Simple question, but too complex answer.

Ask specifics please.

Reconstructo

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 03:04 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;151034 wrote:

Just because "some" philosophy has yielded good results in the sience end, doesn't mean that "all" philosophy is constructive/useful.

True that. Philosophy has no entry fee. In many cases, it's just wankers talking sh*t. And this is one of the reasons I have spend most of my free time reading mathematics. Of course, I still like philosophy, and have found some good conversation on this forum. And then the math-philosophy connection is of course quite engrossing to me. For me, many the issues of philosophy have been solved...but this can't be proved by a moon landing. There are certain private realizations that must be worked for, thought thru.

This isn't to say that I'm not still learning, of course, but earlier this year something clicked for me (thanks largely to Kojeve), and most of the answerable/resolvable issues seemed answered/resolved. Smile

---------- Post added 04-12-2010 at 04:07 PM ----------

HexHammer;151046 wrote:
Simple question, but too complex answer.

Ask specifics please.

Don't make me fish! Let's just hear what interests you. If you open a dialogue, I can then ask questions in relation to what you present.

I personally like to see a person do something as simple as celebrate/praise their favorite thinkers. One of the things I want out of this forum is just to share the appreciation of great books. We shouldn't do it in this thread, but maybe you can start a thread about your favorite thinker. I would join the discussion.

HexHammer

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 03:22 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;151048 wrote:
True that. Philosophy has no entry fee. In many cases, it's just wankers talking sh*t. And this is one of the reasons I have spend most of my free time reading mathematics. Of course, I still like philosophy, and have found some good conversation on this forum. And then the math-philosophy connection is of course quite engrossing to me. For me, many the issues of philosophy have been solved...but this can't be proved by a moon landing.

I personally like to see a person do something as simple as celebrate/praise their favorite thinkers. One of the things I want out of this forum is just to share the appreciation of great books. We shouldn't do it in this thread, but maybe you can start a thread about your favorite thinker. I would join the discussion.
- I would put it as philosophy in this forum, has no direct consequenses, only by observing the endresult as consequenses one can see if the philosophy has any value, or where the weakpoints are.

- with no consequences, one can be kept in a perpetual naive illusion of a perfect philosophy.

- actually, I do not read books.

http://www.philosophyforum.com/lounge/general-discussion/1001-who-you-favorite-philosopher-why-5.html#post149430

Reconstructo

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 03:33 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;151063 wrote:
- I would put it as philosophy in this forum, has no direct consequenses, only by observing the endresult as consequenses one can see if the philosophy has any value, or where the weakpoints are.

- with no consequences, one can be kept in a perpetual naive illusion of a perfect philosophy.

- actually, I do not read books.

http://www.philosophyforum.com/lounge/general-discussion/1001-who-you-favorite-philosopher-why-5.html#post149430

I respect your honesty. For me, books are a great form of wealth, even if they are only checked out from the library.

jack phil

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 04:57 pm
@Reconstructo,
In philosophy, if anyone put forth a thesis, everyone would agree with it for it would be a tautology.

Existence exists.

Reality is rational.

etc.

The point is that there is music, but one must hit many perfect notes to hear its beauty.

HexHammer

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 05:01 pm
@jack phil,
jack;151105 wrote:
In philosophy, if anyone put forth a thesis, everyone would agree with it for it would be a tautology.

Existence exists.

Reality is rational.

etc.

The point is that there is music, but one must hit many perfect notes to hear its beauty.
You don't know anything about demagogues and group think?

jack phil

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 05:25 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;151107 wrote:
You don't know anything about demagogues and group think?

[quote]demagoguery is a strategy for gaining political power by appealing to the prejudices, emotions, fears and expectations of the public-typically via impassioned rhetoric and propaganda, and often using nationalist, populist or religious themes.[/quote]

I don't see any of those terms (rhetoric, propaganda, nationalist, populist, religious) as need be negative.

I mean, don't all of the founding fathers fit that definition?

HexHammer

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 05:35 pm
@jack phil,
jack;151112 wrote:

I don't see any of those terms (rhetoric, propaganda, nationalist, populist, religious) as need be negative.

I mean, don't all of the founding fathers fit that definition?
- you don't see the manipulation by rethoric, appealing to emotions. You precive things often by emotion you don't really know if it makes sense, but if it sounds good, it must be true.

Ofcause all the founding fathers fits the bill, they'r politicians afterall, all intelligent politicians must have some knowledge of misleading the people with pretty words.

Fido

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 09:09 pm
@Extrain,
Quote:

Extrain;150926 wrote:
Those are different judgments then:

(a) Red exists or is a quality.
(b) The firetruck is red

2 different judgments

But "Red" is not judgment. It is a predicate.

What is it that makes you believe predicates are not judgements??? How can something be affirmed without some one, somewhere making judgement... Then iff are talking about the concept: Red, we are dealing with a narrow definition of a certain bandwidth of light... Without that, the concept would be up for grabs, as it was during our Civil War, when soldiers could not distinguish between orange and red... Since many people had never seen oranges, and had no word for orange, this was understandable...

Quote:

Again, concepts are not judgments. We use concepts to make judgments. We judge using concepts. Concepts are parts of our judgments, and are used to predicate of property of something. Red is a concept, and we use it judge that a firetruck is red.

If you should have to say what is a firetruck, you would have to make a judgement, that the thing was that, and that the class excluded all other trucks... Every concept is a classification, and every class is made out of certain knowledge as to the characteristics of one as opposed to another...It is not rocket science.... If you can say why a dog is not a cat you must have certain knowledge, and your knowledge makes the concept...

Quote:

Words are not judgments. We use words to speak or write judgments using concepts denoted by those words, as in the word "red."

Words certainly are judgements, and you may find that if you use the wrong word to describe an object that you are judged as well.. every time we use the word Red to describe a color, the concept is judged, and the person is judged...It is in the correct use of concepts that one is judged intelligent; for example..

Quote:

I never said it didn't. All I said is that cultures can be wrong. That the earth revolves about the sun is not dependent on culture. If people thought the sun revolved around the earth, they would be wrong. Culture can still pass mistaken judgments. Just as some people used to mistakenly think the earth was flat.

It is our culture that teaches us that the earth revolves around the sun.. And it was the culture of the middle ages that taught what was obvious, that the Sun revolves around the earth... We still talk of Sun rise...Here is the problem: When cultures teach what they should know to be false out of a political consideration, then they do their society an injury...And our cultures do that, because it is also culturally accepted to resist change, because like the sunrise, it is obvious that social change is dangerous, and often deadly... This much is true, but change becomes dangerous and deadly because is is so well resisted even when badly needed..

Quote:

Cultures have a conceptual repertoire, sure.

The world and culture both teach us what is true and false. But culture doesn't make things true or false. How the actual world is makes things true or false. So a culture can teach you false things, or the culture can teach you true things. But what the culture says is not always true.

True of false as a term of logic applies only to the physical world... The moral world is made up of infinites that can hardly be judged at all, and only at a distance, so while we may say we have a concept of liberty, or a concept of justice or virtue we do not, because these qualities we recognize cannot be judged... At best we all form subjective Quasi Concepts about them...

Quote:
Language may make a person more linguistically competent, and assist a person in acquiring a more refined understanding of the world, that's for sure. But knowledge does not merely consist in learning a series of definitions. Knowledge is knowledge about the world outside us. And dictionaries help us articulate that knowledge. But knowledge is not just knowing the definitions of words. We have definitions because the world is the way it is. We don't live in a vacuum. You can learn all the meaningless jargon you want, but still not know anything about the world at all. Likewise, you can know much about the world with having a very limite vocabulary.
Quite right here...One must also have a fair amount of experience in order to judge ones concepts against ones reality...It is not enough to have second hand knowledge... One must know enough on ones own to cast a critical eye upon all concepts... We must be prepared to judge what we have received culturally,and in fact this happens...You have a concept of a monkey, and everytime you see a monkey the animal is judged against the concept, and the concept is judged against the animal... Anyone who think the comparison only goes one way is daft...

Quote:

"Bachelors are unmarried men" is a definition. But we know that it is true only if bachelors are, in fact, unmarried men. Definitions are useless unless they are true of the thing defined--in this case, we would not know the earth revolved around the sun unless it did, in fact, revolve around the sun.

What I said: the concept is judged when the reality is judged...

You are talking about one's purpose in life, and what people find valuable and worthwhile. That's different.

No, I am not... I state what seem obvious, that all we find meaning in, as truth and math are meanings, depend upon life for their meaning...Sans le vie, Sans tout..

Reconstructo

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 09:32 pm
@jack phil,
jack;151105 wrote:

Existence exists.

Reality is rational.

etc.

I like this. Here's a poetic extension: man is reality's rational self-consciousness. But this self-consciousness starts in confusion, and does not recognize itself as such. So the perfect notes are discovered. A melody is hammered out over the centuries.

The tautology point is interesting too. Let's take the Pythagorean theorem. It was, presumably, always true. But knowing it was true made it useful.

HexHammer

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 09:36 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;151199 wrote:
I like this. Here's a poetic extension: man is reality's rational self-consciousness. But this self-consciousness starts in confusion, and does not recognize itself as such. So the perfect notes are discovered. A melody is hammered out over the centuries.

The tautology point is interesting too. Let's take the Pythagorean theorem. It was, presumably, always true. But knowing it was true made it useful.
..and so it came to pass that the HexHammer would scream in sheer horror of the poor mislead Reconstructo's thirst for pretty empty words.

Reconstructo

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 09:48 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;151203 wrote:
..and so it came to pass that the HexHammer would scream in sheer horror of the poor mislead Reconstructo's thirst for pretty empty words.

Here's the thing. The whole he-man-facing-brutal-truth thing is a costume I once wore. It flatters those with more attitude than mastery to pretend that attitude is the key factor. I know all about self-as-god or self-as-authority. Basically it's Milton's Satan. I get it. I've played the fool on stage, the offensive rock-n-roll boy. I agree w/ Dante, that Lucifer is the light-bringer (which is what the name means). Negativity is liberating. But once one has some liberty, what does one choose to do with it?

It seems to me that you are trying to exist on the forum as a mere negation. You have one trick, and it's an old old trick. "You guys are full of it." Well, I'm sure the average Athenian didn't think much of Plato. Didn't care much. They probably wanted to finally own a horse, or an attractive teenage slave. Who cares about all these silly triangles? We've got bills to pay. Certainly the builders had an appreciation of applied science, and perhaps they loved their applicable science and still looked down a bit on Plato and the gang. Or maybe their wives were expensive, and they sometimes regretted taking on so much debt. (I don't know Athenian economics.)

Let me express it again. Philosophy is largely concerned with value. To expect it to build your bridges, etc., is perhaps to misunderstand at least one of its many functions. Look at the history of math. Riemann and others invented non-Euclidean geometry, just for the hell of it. And then along comes Einstein who shows that parallel lines can meet. Something like that. It's not going to turn me off of knowledge to hear your criticisms. Such a thing is impossible. Rather I am politely responding to your questionable comments as you remind me of a part of myself. Except that I always loved books, and always respected thinkers, even if I also felt that idolatry was the wrong response. Smile

I can't remember if it was the parthenon or what, but one of the buildings is built "wrong" in order to look right. It's angles are distorted to correct for an optical effect. Pretty amazing.

Extrain

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 10:04 pm
@Fido,
Fido;151197 wrote:
What is it that makes you believe predicates are not judgements???If you should have to say what is a firetruck, you would have to make a judgement, that the thing was that, and that the class excluded all other trucks... Every concept is a classification, and every class is made out of certain knowledge as to the characteristics of one as opposed to another...It is not rocket science.... If you can say why a dog is not a cat you must have certain knowledge, and your knowledge makes the concept...

Just think it about. I am not saying anything "weird" here. I am saying predicates are parts of judgments. In language you need both a subject and predicate to make a jugment at all. This should be obvious to anybody who speaks a language. What do you think an "incomplete sentence" is??? It's a set of words that haven't succeed in making a judgment because the string of words either lack a subject or a predicate. You can't even construct a complete sentence without both a subject and a predicate!

Fido;151197 wrote:
How can something be affirmed without some one, somewhere making judgement...

Of course not. I never said judgements are made without a speaker.

Fido;151197 wrote:
Then iff are talking about the concept: Red, we are dealing with a narrow definition of a certain bandwidth of light... Without that, the concept would be up for grabs, as it was during our Civil War, when soldiers could not distinguish between orange and red... Since many people had never seen oranges, and had no word for orange, this was understandable...

I agree. So what's the problem?

Fido;151197 wrote:
Words certainly are judgements,

You are just not thinking clearly about what I am saying. Judgments are made with words. But you need a speaker to put together a sentence to make a judgment at all. A word all by itself doesn't tell you anything. You have to apply that word to something first before you can make a judgment at all.

Fido;151197 wrote:
and you may find that if you use the wrong word to describe an object that you are judged as well.. every time we use the word Red to describe a color, the concept is judged, and the person is judged...It is in the correct use of concepts that one is judged intelligent; for example.

Sure, I agree. But when I say "bachelors are umarried men" I am making a judgment about all bachelors, I am not making a judgment about my concepts. I am not saying the concept of a bachelor is an unmarried man; I am saying bachelors themselves are unmarried men.

Now, of course, defnitions are true in virtue of the meanings of the words independent of how the world is. For instance, "All bachelors are unmarried men" is true in virtue of the meanings of the words because we defined the words that way. And further, the judgment is necessarily true, and is never false because that's just what the definition of the word "bachelor" is, namely, an "unmarried man." But not all judgments are like that.

For instance, "The earth revolves around the sun" is not true in virtue of the meanings of the words. Now of course, the statement must have linguistic meaning to be able to say something at all. But word-definitions are not what makes that statment true like in the above example about bachelors. "The earth revolves around the sun" is true because of the way the world is. This is why our judgments about the world can be false, such as "The Denver Broncos won the Superbowl last season" is false. The statement is false not merely because of the word-meanings, but mainly because the Broncos did not, in fact, win the superbowl last season.

Fido;151197 wrote:
It is our culture that teaches us that the earth revolves around the sun.. And it was the culture of the middle ages that taught what was obvious, that the Sun revolves around the earth... We still talk of Sun rise...Here is the problem: When cultures teach what they should know to be false out of a political consideration, then they do their society an injury...And our cultures do that, because it is also culturally accepted to resist change, because like the sunrise, it is obvious that social change is dangerous, and often deadly... This much is true, but change becomes dangerous and deadly because is is so well resisted even when badly needed..

I agree that cultures are like this.

I am just pointing out that the earth revolves around the sun whether or not people think it does. People are wrong if they think the sun revolves around the earth. So cultures can have false beliefs.

HexHammer

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 10:18 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo if you are so unhappy with my philosophy, then put me on ignore.

Reconstructo

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 10:42 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;151209 wrote:
Reconstructo if you are so unhappy with my philosophy, then put me on ignore.

I only use the ignore function for the rude. I like to embrace disagreements. Process them. Learn from them. And sometimes try to refute them.

TuringEquivalent

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 03:12 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo,

After reading many of your post, i realize you probably do not have any formal education in philosophy. I think you are too emotional, and you have a lot of pride.

Fido

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 05:07 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;151199 wrote:

The first is one of those predicates the Randroids accept without proof... I do not think that it makes a philosophy to accept what everyone is trying to prove, but the fact is that no one accepts Rand who does not have their personal existence some what assured...

As far as the real being rational, it is sort of a tautology if one understands the roots of the word: real...Yet, what we have come to think of as real includes all spiritual and moral forms, and there, what is rational holds no meaning...Still, following the word real to its roots we find a people, the Latins who would have accepted the spirit world as fact, and the afterlife fully as real as this life...The pythagoreans were a great example of this, having an extensive set of spiritual beliefs...

---------- Post added 04-13-2010 at 07:15 AM ----------

TuringEquivalent;151265 wrote:
Reconstructo,

After reading many of your post, i realize you probably do not have any formal education in philosophy. I think you are too emotional, and you have a lot of pride.

Formal education teaches the form... Sorry turing; but the form has failed us...We are not going to get anything out of formal government, formal religion, formal society, or formal education... Those people who have mastered their particular forms are all too much concerned with self preservation to do anything good for humanity...Do you not think they realize how usless they are and how unable are their forms to affect reality is a positive fashion??? After a while, all old forms exist only to preserve the form and the meaning goes right out of them...

TuringEquivalent

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 05:58 am
@Fido,
Fido;151287 wrote:

Formal education teaches the form... Sorry turing; but the form has failed us...We are not going to get anything out of formal government, formal religion, formal society, or formal education... Those people who have mastered their particular forms are all too much concerned with self preservation to do anything good for humanity...Do you not think they realize how usless they are and how unable are their forms to affect reality is a positive fashion??? After a while, all old forms exist only to preserve the form and the meaning goes right out of them...

You feel a sense of deprivation. You feel that no one understand you. That you are a perpetual outsider to everyone else. Every decision is effect by your emotions, and the facts. Thus, you growth a distrust of any authority. Ultimately, you don ` t know who you are. You are uncertain of yourself, and thus, it is very hard for you to understand your own convictions. My guess is that you do not even have any convictions. It must be hard for you.

kennethamy

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 06:18 am
@TuringEquivalent,
TuringEquivalent;151265 wrote:
Reconstructo,

After reading many of your post, i realize you probably do not have any formal education in philosophy. .

Or in logic. Or any informal education, either. He believes that he understands when he only believes he understands, so when others believe he does not understand, he believes that they do not understand.

Reconstructo

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 12:52 pm
@Reconstructo,
"Look mommy! The teacher put a star on my book report! Now I am just like Socrates !"

What could be shallower than conceiving of philosophy as the mere memorization of dead men's thoughts according to the directions of some contingent institution?

Of course any institution that provides the books and others who love and study these same books deserves respect. But it's only a step from here to idolatry.

But screw that. There's another thread for that. And it's only the impotent that dwell on the formality of education rather than the passion and depth involved.

The concept of irrationality is itself rational. The concept of the infinite is itself finite. The concept of nonsense is itself sense.

The word "irrational" as the synonym of erroneous is acceptable, from this angle. Yes, we make relative errors. But I contend that reality is always rational in the sense of structured/meaningful, because all thought is structure/meaning. As Fido said, even if he meant it in a different way, it's almost a truism to say what I am saying. But the obvious is often missed.

The crucial move is the dissolution of a needless dichotomy. Hegel, Nietzsche, Rorty, Wittgenstein.....in my opinion they all riffed on this same abolition of an old confusion.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/17/2024 at 01:16:55