The Real is Rational

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Fido

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 11:52 am
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;149562 wrote:
The thing is, I see great potential in Reconstructo, so when he spends time with navel gazing philosophy I get sad and my world crumbles inside.

Correct him if you can; but abuse is always pointless... No one does it alone, and philosophy as a form of relationship is best with many minds and many points of view... We are not an army, but we may be a navy whose fleet has been sunk... We have to presume that many are here for the same reason that Socrates and his crew took to the streets: because their society was not working as they thought it should...That is the reason behhind every questio of ethics or knowledge or faith... Okay, will you now limit the members or the opinions???

... If you talk trash, or if honey flows from your finger tips the chances are equal in my book that you will inspire some insight on my part that would not have been inspired without your being there... I need you guys, all of you...You help me think, even force me to think at times, and I need that, and I hate to admit how much...

Reconstructo

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 03:06 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;149555 wrote:

Ofcause there's a slim chance that your kind of philosophy some day will gain useage, but I doubt it.

It already has, long since. Philosophy is often enough a "technology of morale. " We seem, as thinking humans, to have an itch for clarity. Perhaps you are not that interested in problems such as mind-matter or self-other dichotomies/confusions, but I used to be. Of course my current philosophy has extricated me from such confusions. I no longer waste time on certain questions, as I have a satisfactory answer. Instead I have moved on to other questions, which at the moment happen to be mathematical.

I was once an avid reader of Nietzsche, as he addressed the issues I was wrestling with. Now those issues are for the most part resolved, as well, and were resolved before I joined this forum. Hegel/Kojeve were step 2. And now I feel that my philosophical itch is well scratched. Hence my move to mathematics. Of course the philosophy of mathematics still interests me, and it's still fun to share one's discoveries.....

And further clarifications and enrichments are always possible...?

---------- Post added 04-09-2010 at 04:14 PM ----------

Fil. Albuquerque;149565 wrote:

Reconstructo is one of the most creative folks in this forum, with an open attitude, and willing to change is mind as often as necessary to achieve an higher degree of knowledge, more then I can say on almost everybody else...

THanks man! Much appreciated. You and I have debated/processed details in a friendly spirit from the beginning, and I have always enjoyed it. Also it was clear from early on to me that you saw the beauty in philosophy/thinking/structure/essence.

For some, philosophy is the sport of d***-measuring. And I'm not saying that a younger me wasn't more guilty of that, or that the shadow doesn't remain. Nor am I aiming the comment at anyone in particular. I just think it's more satisfying to really meet someone with a similar interest in a great (at times) subject like philosophy.:bigsmile:

---------- Post added 04-09-2010 at 04:15 PM ----------

Fido;149643 wrote:
Correct him if you can; but abuse is always pointless... No one does it alone, and philosophy as a form of relationship is best with many minds and many points of view... We are not an army, but we may be a navy whose fleet has been sunk... We have to presume that many are here for the same reason that Socrates and his crew took to the streets: because their society was not working as they thought it should...That is the reason behhind every questio of ethics or knowledge or faith... Okay, will you now limit the members or the opinions???

... If you talk trash, or if honey flows from your finger tips the chances are equal in my book that you will inspire some insight on my part that would not have been inspired without your being there... I need you guys, all of you...You help me think, even force me to think at times, and I need that, and I hate to admit how much...

This is an excellent post altogether. THanks, Fido.

HexHammer

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 03:59 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;150027 wrote:
It already has, long since. Philosophy is often enough a "technology of morale. " We seem, as thinking humans, to have an itch for clarity. Perhaps you are not that interested in problems such as mind-matter or self-other dichotomies/confusions, but I used to be. Of course my current philosophy has extricated me from such confusions. I no longer waste time on certain questions, as I have a satisfactory answer. Instead I have moved on to other questions, which at the moment happen to be mathematical.
Seems you narrow my intend, and broaded your view too much.

Reconstructo

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 04:44 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;150044 wrote:
Seems you narrow my intend, and broaded your view too much.

It's possible. But then I mostly see you criticize others rather than express your own interests. I'm quite willing to hear what it is that fascinates you.

I'm sure it's not just utility. After all, we're not bees.

HexHammer

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 05:53 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;150063 wrote:
It's possible. But then I mostly see you criticize others rather than express your own interests. I'm quite willing to hear what it is that fascinates you.

I'm sure it's not just utility. After all, we're not bees.
You are very right, I critisize alot. It's both good, and very bad and annoying ..I know.

I hate watchign "rainbow chasers" chase what they can never reach, it's an illusion and the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow is just a romantic myth. I see such things as great irrational thinking, which I can't help try to destroy and make the helpless victim get some rationality in his/her head, by this it's maybe I who am the rainbow chaser, I'm just too poor at convincing people en mass, my rethoric skills are not good, and my methods are brutal, therefore too often I talk for deaf ears.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 06:13 pm
@Reconstructo,
Queen takes pawn, check. Queen takes Queen, Night checks. Smothered Mate.

Reconstructo

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 06:22 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;150096 wrote:
You are very right, I critisize alot. It's both good, and very bad and annoying ..I know.

I hate watchign "rainbow chasers" chase what they can never reach, it's an illusion and the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow is just a romantic myth. I see such things as great irrational thinking, which I can't help try to destroy and make the helpless victim get some rationality in his/her head, by this it's maybe I who am the rainbow chaser, I'm just too poor at convincing people en mass, my rethoric skills are not good, and my methods are brutal, therefore too often I talk for deaf ears.

Nice reply. I think I understand you. Let me explain a little more about my attitude on the subject.

For me, pragmatism is the practical man's philosophy. The truth is what works, to oversimplify the matter. But pragmatism is so successful at being the practical man's philosophy, there's not much to say about it. And as soon as a man is engaged in something practical, much of the philosophic discourse will not, for his particular purpose, be useful to him.

A second point: in our industrial societies, the average person does a relatively easy job, at least as far as mentality is concerned. A certain set of routines is learned, and that's that. Stay sane and show up. Day after day. They will give you paper or electronic numbers that you can trade for food, shelter, automobiles, etc. What is a philosophy degree good for? What is philosophical knowledge good for? What is life good for? How is utility useful? Why live at all? This is the sort of question philosophy addresses, as the engineer has other methods. Philosophy has served for some a sort of logical religion. Let's say you write a book about everything you know, and it's divided into chapters. In what order does one present the chapters? We are always going to bump into high levels of generality whenever we zoom out from a particular task.

It may be that much philosophy seems trivial to you because your general philosophy is pretty much settled. Maybe you have a value system and a general view of reality that works for you so well that many philosophical questions seem silly, needless, neurotic. To me, there is a structure to inquiry. THere are necessary stages to pass through. I like Hegel because he looked at the history of philosophy as a structure and meaningful progress from error to truth. Also and simultaneously a progress of self-consciousness. We are mortal beings and a person could argue that video games are a better way spend time than is philosophy. I can't disprove this. Call it a matter of taste.

I still think that philosophy is well described as the "science of science," or the study of study, the investigation of investigation. How do we think? Why do we think? What can/can't we think? Etc. It's good stuff.

HexHammer

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 06:36 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo

The thing is, most here try to see things for what they are, defining them and their use, I see things as what they can be ..their potential.

Fido

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 07:22 pm
@Reconstructo,
We do not see things at all... Rather, we see their meaning in the form of concepts...

Reconstructo

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2010 12:41 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;150116 wrote:
Reconstructo

The thing is, most here try to see things for what they are, defining them and their use, I see things as what they can be ..their potential.

I can sympathize with that, but perhaps you will agree that the potential future is related to the actual present.

---------- Post added 04-10-2010 at 01:44 PM ----------

Fido;150121 wrote:
We do not see things at all... Rather, we see their meaning in the form of concepts...

I agree, and this is pretty close to what "the real is rational" means to me. Only essences are real enough to talk or think about, including paradoxical essences like "irrational" or "unknown."

HexHammer

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2010 01:17 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;150294 wrote:
I can sympathize with that, but perhaps you will agree that the potential future is related to the actual present.
That's trying to define things too much again, not everything needs definition, some things are better left undefined and be defined ad hoc.

Cross the bridge when you get to it. Or my personal "don't take a domp on the bear, before it's shot".

Reconstructo

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2010 01:27 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;150315 wrote:
That's trying to define things too much again, not everything needs definition, some things are better left undefined and be defined ad hoc.

Cross the bridge when you get to it. Or my personal "don't take a domp on the bear, before it's shot".

How much is too much? Perhaps you will agree that this is matter of taste?

The deepest part of my interpretation of Hegel is that he transcends all sorts of troublesome attempts to define. For instance, the mind-matter dichotomy.

In some ways, we agree more than you might expect. I also don't want philosophy to be bogged down with useless questions. At the same time, one must really examine the questions to "prove" they are indeed useless, and not just difficult. The mind-matter dichotomy was almost "destined" to be wrestled with, as the relation twixt subject and object is not an easy one. Also the problem of universals. In what way do abstractions exist? Is chairness more real than individual chairs? What is goodness? And does it exist apart from events and objects?

What are concepts? The concept of concept is a gold mine. To think about thinking.

To stay on topic, do you see what I mean by "the rational is real"? Agreement, at the moment, is secondary. I'm making a strange point. I admit that. But for it was a valuable "realization." What do you make of my argument? And I'm asking only for a sincere attempt at understanding what I'm driving at.

HexHammer

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2010 02:40 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;150319 wrote:
How much is too much? Perhaps you will agree that this is matter of taste?

The deepest part of my interpretation of Hegel is that he transcends all sorts of troublesome attempts to define. For instance, the mind-matter dichotomy.

In some ways, we agree more than you might expect. I also don't want philosophy to be bogged down with useless questions. At the same time, one must really examine the questions to "prove" they are indeed useless, and not just difficult. The mind-matter dichotomy was almost "destined" to be wrestled with, as the relation twixt subject and object is not an easy one. Also the problem of universals. In what way do abstractions exist? Is chairness more real than individual chairs? What is goodness? And does it exist apart from events and objects?

What are concepts? The concept of concept is a gold mine. To think about thinking.

To stay on topic, do you see what I mean by "the rational is real"? Agreement, at the moment, is secondary. I'm making a strange point. I admit that. But for it was a valuable "realization." What do you make of my argument? And I'm asking only for a sincere attempt at understanding what I'm driving at.
Thing is, sometimes one must change stance towards things, if you make a statemen too soon that is good or that is bad, then you will end up as a hippocrate should you chance your mind.

..that's why one should never rush off defining things.

Only by living you will know what, when and why. I can't tell you about everything.

TuringEquivalent

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2010 02:54 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;142396 wrote:
I just got David Foster Wallace's book on infinity. It's good stuff. And it's a good example. We can cook up a concept like infinity only by negating our concept of the finite. We can't think infinity and we can't think the unthinkable. But we can put a minus sign in front of anything.

This is wrong. A counterexample in the integers. They are surely infinite, and we can think about it.

Reconstructo;142396 wrote:
I struggled with this line at first. How is the real rational, when we are always still figuring out what reality is?

It now makes perfect sense to me, so I'm sharing my view on it, and encouraging a friendly discussion on the matter. Here's my view on it.

The world as we know it is structured by human concept. Even if there is a structure beneath or above our human concept, this itself is still just a human concept. Human concept is all the structure we have and are ever going to have, it seems to me.
We cook up gods and theories and philosophies, and this is the intelligable structure of the world. And we cannot speak or think outside of structure, also known as ratio, also known as rationality.

The models, and scientific theories are only models. They contain concepts that might be inspired by nature, and they might even capture it, but we can never say, since there is no reference frame for which can can stand between a model, and the world, and compare them. This hint on theory laden nature of observation itself.

Reconstructo

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2010 02:58 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;150339 wrote:
Thing is, sometimes one must change stance towards things, if you make a statemen too soon that is good or that is bad, then you will end up as a hippocrate should you chance your mind.

..that's why one should never rush off defining things.

Only by living you will know what, when and why. I can't tell you about everything.

I can dig that. But to live is to sometimes be in error. We are getting into practical wisdom/psychology here. Just think about young love. It's full of illusions that are not then experienced as illusions, but rather as truths. It's only the passionate mistake, in such a case, that leads to disillusionment or wisdom in such matters.

Also, the idea that one should not make a statement too soon is subject to its own criticism. Just like the statement " we cannot know anything" is paradoxical.

---------- Post added 04-10-2010 at 04:00 PM ----------

TuringEquivalent;150343 wrote:
This is wrong. A counterexample in the integers. They are surely infinite, and we can think about it.

I disagree. We can only think the finite. To the degree that infinity is thinkable, it is no longer infinity. Of course we are bumping into slippery logos here, and a lack of friendly spirit would make the conversation pointless.
We can think that integers have no limit, but that is just infinite as a negation of finite. We can't truly imagine an infinity of numbers.
Define infinity. And then look at the word "in-finity." I ask you at least to see where I'm going here.

---------- Post added 04-10-2010 at 04:02 PM ----------

TuringEquivalent;150343 wrote:

The models, and scientific theories are only models. They contain concepts that might be inspired by nature, and they might even capture it, but we can never say, since there is no reference frame for which can can stand between a model, and the world, and compare them. This hint on theory laden nature of observation itself.

You seem to speak of the world as if there were a world outside our concepts and models of it. I don't think there is. We live in mental models. That's another way to say that the real is rational. True, qualia exists outside our concepts, but not for language and thought.Thus the word/concept "qualia" which itself is not qualia.

Fido

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2010 04:28 pm
@Reconstructo,
It is rational to believe that if we place two objects of equal weight on a balance scale that the scale will balance if gravity applies an equal force to all objects... We get our idea of the rational in regard to physical objects, Res, or in English, things... That is normal enough... The mistake, once more, is to apply the logic of physical reality to moral reality...

TuringEquivalent

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2010 04:34 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo wrote:

I disagree. We can only think the finite. To the degree that infinity is thinkable, it is no longer infinity. Of course we are bumping into slippery logos here, and a lack of friendly spirit would make the conversation pointless.
We can think that integers have no limit, but that is just infinite as a negation of finite. We can't truly imagine an infinity of numbers.
Define infinity. And then look at the word "in-finity." I ask you at least to see where I'm going here.

In a sense, i can understand how you can be wrong. I mean, for 2000 years of mathematics from the Greek onward, the notion of "approximate infinite" is embraced, while the notion of "complete infinite" is laugh at. It is only in the light of Georg Cantor that complete infinite is revealed.

I am telling you that it is common to think of the entire set of integers all at once in contemporary mathematics. When people say Z( or the set of integers), they mean that as an infinite set. In fact, it is Cantor that developed a whole need area of mathematics know as set theory, and the theory of transfinite numbers.

Quote:

You seem to speak of the world as if there were a world outside our concepts and models of it. I don't think there is. We live in mental models. That's another way to say that the real is rational. True, qualia exists outside our concepts, but not for language and thought.Thus the word/concept "qualia" which itself is not qualia.

This is ridiculous. If you don ` t believe there is an external world, then you don ` t believe i exist, or that the computer in front of you is really there. You can say they are all models, but a model has to be a model of something( which is not a model ). What you say here is very counterintuitive, and contradictory.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2010 04:54 pm
@TuringEquivalent,
TuringEquivalent;150370 wrote:

This is ridiculous. If you don ` t believe there is an external world, then you don ` t believe i exist, or that the computer in front of you is really there. You can say they are all models, but a model has to be a model of something( which is not a model ). What you say here is very counterintuitive, and contradictory.

Yes, the same old refuted Idealism. It is obviously false, since we know that that Moon existed way before human beings did, and before there were human beings there were no concepts. Therefore, the Moon existed way before there were concepts.

Reconstructo

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2010 10:42 pm
@TuringEquivalent,
In a sense, i can understand how you can be wrong. I mean, for 2000 years of mathematics from the Greek onward, the notion of "approximate infinite" is embraced, while the notion of "complete infinite" is laugh at. It is only in the light of Georg Cantor that complete infinite is revealed.

I am telling you that it is common to think of the entire set of integers all at once in contemporary mathematics. When people say Z( or the set of integers), they mean that as an infinite set. In fact, it is Cantor that developed a whole need area of mathematics know as set theory, and the theory of transfinite numbers.

Yeah, man. I know about Cantor. But obviously he didn't write down an infinity of numbers. He just showed the possibility of one to one correspondence in certain scenarios. Cantor is great, of course. But Cantor isn't a god. Just a man with a plan, and one that claimed, in the end, to have gotten his most self-important theory from the Big Man himself.

And yes, it's beautiful, these Cantorian infinities, etc. And so is set theory. But we should avoid waxing too faithful on the matter. After all, we are on a philosophy forum, and mathematical infinity (which is addressed directly in another thread) is not necessarily philosophical infinity.

In short, I feel like you are too busy trying to one-up me to see what it is I am aiming at. Take a break from the song and dance, brother. I'm talking about the nature of thought, and whether thought/concept is not itself in its very essence FINITE, in the sense of Concept AS limit. THe word/concept "infinity" is itself delimiting, else the word would be useless, completely vague. A word that does not delimited is exactly nonsense. Whereas the word "nonsense" is quite sensible, as it is the negation of "sense," something like "dfkgjdfkgjsdfhgkjdgsfgarg" would have no meaning.

So the infinite can only be discussed finitely. That's my assertion. That man cannot think anything without limits, and thinking is limits/boundaries, etc.

"No finite thing has genuine being." Hegel. But man can only think in terms of finite things. My opinion. Thus a negative ontology. All beings are contingent, including the concept (ultra-abstract) of being. Including concepts like mind/matter/truth, etc. These beings exist in relation, within a system of differences. Blah blah, etc. etc.

---------- Post added 04-10-2010 at 11:48 PM ----------

If it sounds ridiculous, perhaps you should give me the benefit of the doubt and assume you are missing something. Perhaps it's just a difficult thought. Of course it may be counter-"intuitive" as practical life may reward certain prejudices/confusions. And Nietzsche tackles this well in Beyond Good and Evil.

Yes, a model has to be a model of something. So the model metaphor at some point breaks down. And this is why Hegel's idealism is called "absolute", when Kant's was "transcendental."

Here's the idea. Qualia are organized within a system of concepts.
But so are concepts. Many of our concepts don't organize/cut-up qualia but instead organize other concepts.

We have master concepts like the "world" or "reality" and smaller and smaller more specific concepts. For Hegel, self-consciousness progresses to the point where it dissolve the false dichotomy of subject-object and model/modeled. We only have models, and that, my friend, is exactly WHY the real is rational and the rational is real. THere's nothing outside the models, and therefore the model metaphor becomes obsolete. THe thing-in-itself is recognized as an empty confusion. It's like the Truman Show. THe thing-in-itself is an imaginary boundary. Something like infinity on the number spectrum.

TuringEquivalent

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2010 02:57 am
@Reconstructo,
Quote:
Yeah, man. I know about Cantor. But obviously he didn't write down an infinity of numbers. He just showed the possibility of one to one correspondence in certain scenarios. Cantor is great, of course. But Cantor isn't a god. Just a man with a plan, and one that claimed, in the end, to have gotten his most self-important theory from the Big Man himself.

Correspondence is used to establish two sets with the same size as the natural numbers. He assumes the size of the natural integers to be infinite, and show that one can construct any higher order infinite by taking the power set of the set in question. The issue is directly related to the issue of infinites, because transfinite numbers are "complete infinities".

Quote:
In short, I feel like you are too busy trying to one-up me to see what it is I am aiming at. Take a break from the song and dance, brother. I'm talking about the nature of thought, and whether thought/concept is not itself in its very essence FINITE, in the sense of Concept AS limit. THe word/concept "infinity" is itself delimiting, else the word would be useless, completely vague. A word that does not delimited is exactly nonsense. Whereas the word "nonsense" is quite sensible, as it is the negation of "sense," something like "dfkgjdfkgjsdfhgkjdgsfgarg" would have no meaning.

I am just trying to help you out. You most likely think you are talking sense, but you might not be. How might "concepts be limited"? Perhaps you mean "we can only have one concept at a time". We might have a concept of infinity, but it does not follow that infinity is finite , because that would be a contradiction, brother.
Quote:

If it sounds ridiculous, perhaps you should give me the benefit of the doubt and assume you are missing something. Perhaps it's just a difficult thought. Of course it may be counter-"intuitive" as practical life may reward certain prejudices/confusions. And Nietzsche tackles this well in Beyond Good and Evil.

Are you depress?

Quote:

Yes, a model has to be a model of something. So the model metaphor at some point breaks down. And this is why Hegel's idealism is called "absolute", when Kant's was "transcendental."

You said there is no external world, and that we live in a model. How is that a metaphor? It seems you like to change your story as we go.
Quote:

Here's the idea. Qualia are organized within a system of concepts.
But so are concepts. Many of our concepts don't organize/cut-up qualia but instead organize other concepts.

We have master concepts like the "world" or "reality" and smaller and smaller more specific concepts. For Hegel, self-consciousness progresses to the point where it dissolve the false dichotomy of subject-object and model/modeled. We only have models, and that, my friend, is exactly WHY the real is rational and the rational is real. THere's nothing outside the models, and therefore the model metaphor becomes obsolete. THe thing-in-itself is recognized as an empty confusion. It's like the Truman Show. THe thing-in-itself is an imaginary boundary. Something like infinity on the number spectrum.

germen idealism?

You said something about concepts are organized in a certain way. What organize the concepts? Is just another concept? if so, how does a concept organize other concepts?

Is a table a concept? Are numbers concepts? Do they have to be part of a mind?

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 05:04:06