The Difference Between Causality and Determinism

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Zetherin

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 12:14 pm
@prothero,
pagan wrote:

One of the most powerful and compelling (Smile) intellectual arguments is that a human being has yet to be observed to perform a physical act that violates the laws of material science. Therefore the logic goes, man is restrained to the physical, and is a machine. This is a perfectly reasonable argument. A supernatural human force of free will is thus dismissed by a lack of any 'evidence' (scientifically biased of course, but all supporters are biased.). Thus what we thought was free will is the illusion of a machine (but perhaps a compelling and necessary illusion for social cohesion).

That humans cannot violate physical laws does not support the claim that humans have no choice. I have absolutely no idea how you came to this conclusion, but you made a grave error somewhere.

pagan

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 12:59 pm
@Zetherin,
Quote:
Zetherin

That humans cannot violate physical laws does not support the claim that humans have no choice. I have absolutely no idea how you came to this conclusion....
really? you have absolutely no idea! I made it quite clear that it wasn't a conclusive argument, but nevertheless to claim that a human is a physical machine on the basis that it cannot violate the laws of physics is pretty standard. That machines cannot violate the laws of physics is a very simple argument and somewhat obvious. Have you really never considered it?

but then again semantics often comes into this. If you consider machines to have choice, despite not being able to violate the laws of physics........ then we are using a different conception of 'choice'. If machines have choice, and choice is intrinsic to free will, then what doesn't have free will in such a scheme??? free will is everywhere!

again "I have free will" depends upon what 'I' is concieved of by the speaker. Machine or not machine?

Zetherin

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 01:02 pm
@prothero,
pagan wrote:
That machines cannot violate the laws of physics is a very simple argument and somewhat obvious. Have you really never considered it?

Humans, nor machines, violate the laws of physics. However, machines do not have choice, humans do. This is because humans bear intentionality and machines do not.

ACB

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 01:13 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;118509 wrote:
Choice as to be done in equality of circumstances !!!

I hope you don't mind me correcting your English, but it might help other people to understand your point (with which I agree). I take it that you mean:

"Choice has to be made in equality of circumstances. Either you escape the causal nexus, or you don't have any free will."

In fact, as you point out in your next post, you can't even choose in equality of circumstances (i.e. when the causative forces in your brain are exactly balanced), for then you would be stuck in a poised state, like Buridan's donkey.

Zetherin

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 01:19 pm
@prothero,
Haha, it's the battle of the hard and soft determinists here. I love it. :poke-eye:

Amperage

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 01:25 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;118545 wrote:
Haha, it's the battle of the hard and soft determinists here. I love it. :poke-eye:
lol. you know thinking about this(and as an aspiring engineer), I'm reminded of an old joke about a mathematician, a physicist, and an engineer.

All 3 are placed some distance away from a beautiful woman(say 10 feet) and told that at every interval of a predetermined time delay they may move half the distance toward her until they meet.

Well the mathematician concludes that they will never meet as the series is infinite and so he gives up.

The physicist says if each interval requires a finite amount of energy then the energy required will be inversely proportional to the distance remaining and he gives up too.

The engineer starts walking, saying, "10 feet, 5 feet, 2.5 feet, 1.25 feet, 7.5 inches", at which point he says, "good enough for all practical purposes."

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 01:27 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;118547 wrote:
lol. you know thinking about this(and as an aspiring engineer), I'm remineded of an old joke about a mathmatician, a physicist, and an engineer.

All 3 are placed some distance away from a beautiful woman(say 10 feet) and told that at every interval of a predetermined time delay they may move half the distance toward her until they meet.

Well the mathematician concludes that they will never meet as the series is infinite and so he gives up.

The physicist says if interval requires a finite amount of energy then the energy required will be inversely proportional to the distance remaining and he gives up too.

The engineer starts walking, saying, "10 feet, 5 feet, 2.5 feet, 1.25 feet, 7.5 inches", at which point he says, "good enough for all practical purposes."

With that I can agree ! :a-ok:

pagan

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 01:30 pm
@ACB,
Quote:
Zetherin

Humans, nor machines, violate the laws of physics. However, machines do not have choice, humans do. This is because humans bear intentionality and machines do not.
well personally that is a perspective that i would 'generally' not disagree with at all (within my multi narrative approach). But for many the fact that humans have never exhibited the ability to violate the laws of physics is a strong argument for seeing humas as machines. Its a rational point of view even if we strongly disagree with it. For those who believe in scientific materialism it is even a necessary belief. It is precisely why they don't believe in free will, except as an illusion by a machine (eg humans). This is true even if they recognise that the narrative they strongly believe in could never accomodate anything outside the narrative, despite there being 'probability' gaps for such a non scientific, non machine force to act without scientific contradiction.

Amperage

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 01:34 pm
@prothero,
I honestly don't think it would even be possible to write down every contributing factor that goes into a choice, even in a controlled environment. Because the simple fact that we interfered in the process would alter the process.

However, that aside, if it were possible, what is being proposed here is that if one could know every contributing factor, then one could write an equation that would always predict a persons choice. I don't see that as possible or plausible

---------- Post added 01-08-2010 at 01:37 PM ----------

pagan;118550 wrote:
But for many the fact that humans have never exhibited the ability to violate the laws of physics is a strong argument for seeing humas as machines.
This is like saying because a human can't know something they don't know, they are machines.

Obviously we are not completely free. If I've only got Ham and Turkey in my 'fridge then I can't choose to get Roast Beef out of the 'fridge and make sandwich. But not being able to defy the laws of physics and pull Roast Beef out has no bearing on my free will to choose between Ham and Turkey.

***EDIT FOR ADDITIONAL COMMENT***
This is the way I would think it would have to work.
Our brain and senses present us with viable options based on what we know(you can't choose something you don't know) and what is possible(see example above), at which point our will decides which option would be best

Zetherin

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 01:39 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;118552 wrote:
I honestly don't think it would even be possible to write down every contributing factor that goes into a choice, even in a controlled environment. Because the simple fact that we interfered in the process would alter the process.

However, that aside, if it were possible, what is being proposed here is that if one could know every contributing factor, then one could write an equation that would always predict a persons choice. I don't see that as possible or plausible

And maybe, perhaps, the reason has something to do with Heisenberg's uncertainty principle.

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 01:47 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;118554 wrote:
And maybe, perhaps, the reason has something to do with Heisenberg's uncertainty principle.

From were I stand Entanglement of sub-atomic particles could make the opposite argument...

Quote:
Quantum entanglement

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/FILIPE%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/FILIPE%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/FILIPE%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/FILIPE%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-3.png[/IMG]
Quantum entanglement, also called the quantum non-local connection, is a property of a quantum mechanical state of a system of two or more objects in which the quantum states of the constituting objects are linked together so that one object can no longer be adequately described without full mention of its counterpart-even if the individual objects are spatially separated in a spacelike manner. The property of entanglement was understood in the early days of quantum theory, although not by that name. Quantum entanglement is at the heart of the EPR paradox developed by Albert Einstein, Boris Podolsky, and Nathan Rosen in 1935. This interconnection leads to non-classical correlations between observable physical properties of remote systems, often referred to as nonlocal correlations.
Quantum mechanics holds that observables, for example spin, are indeterminate until some physical intervention is made to measure an observable of the object in question. In the singlet state of two spin, it is equally likely that any given particle will be observed to be spin-up or spin-down. Measuring any number of particles will result in an unpredictable series of measurements that will tend to a 50% probability of the spin being up or down. However, the results are quite different if this experiment is done with entangled particles. For example, when two members of an entangled pair are measured, their spin measurement results will be correlated. Two (out of infinitely many) possibilities are that the spins will be found to always have opposite spins (in the spin-anti-correlated case), or that they will always have the same spin (in the spin-correlated case). Measuring one member of the pair therefore tells you what spin the other member would have if it were also measured. The distance between the two particles is irrelevant.
Theories involving hidden variables have been proposed in order to explain this result. These hidden variables would account for the spin of each particle, and would be determined when the entangled pair is created. It may appear then that the hidden variables must be in communication no matter how far apart the particles are, that the hidden variable describing one particle must be able to change instantly when the other is measured. If the hidden variables stop interacting when they are far apart, the statistics of multiple measurements must obey an inequality (called Bell's inequality), which is, however, violated, both by quantum mechanical theory and in experiments.[citation needed]
When pairs of particles are generated by the decay of other particles, naturally or through induced collision, these pairs may be termed "entangled", in that such pairs often necessarily have linked and opposite qualities such as spin or charge. The assumption that measurement in effect "creates" the state of the measured quality goes back to the arguments of Einstein, Podolsky, and Rosen[citation needed] and concerning Heisenberg's uncertainty principle and its relation to observation (see also the Copenhagen interpretation).
The analysis of entangled particles by means of Bell's theorem can lead to an impression of non-locality, i.e. that there exists a connection between the members of such a pair that defies both classical and relativistic concepts of space and time. This is reasonable if it is assumed that each particle departs the location of the pair's creation in an ambiguous state (thus yet unobserved, as per a possible interpretation of Heisenberg's principle). In such a case, for a given observable quality of the particle, all outcomes remain a possibility and only measurement itself would precipitate a distinct value. As soon as just one of the particles is observed, its entangled pair collapses into the very same state. If each particle departs the scene of its "entangled creation" with properties that would unambiguously determine the value of the quality to be subsequently measured, then the postulated instantaneous transmission of information across space and time would not be required to account for the result of both particles having the same value for that quality. The Bohm interpretation postulates that a guide wave exists connecting what are perceived as individual particles such that the supposed hidden variables are actually the particles themselves existing as functions of that wave.
Observation of wavefunction collapse can lead to the impression that measurements performed on one system instantaneously influence other systems entangled with the measured system, even when far apart. Yet another interpretation of this phenomenon is that quantum entanglement does not necessarily enable the transmission of classical information faster than the speed of light because a classical information channel is required to complete the process.[citation needed]
Link: Quantum entanglement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

pagan

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 02:10 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
hi Amperage

well i agree that just because we do not violate the laws of physics then it doesn't follow we are machines without choice/free will. Nor do i believe that free will is without very obvious constraints.

But there are potential willed paranormal phenomenon. They have never been measured as anything but statistical noise or non events in the lab .......... For some that is conclusive. (But not me.)

The point is that with regard to those contrary philosophies, how do we account for a lack of measurable distinction between a machine and a human? Free will is necessarily not measurable scientifically as i wrote before, and the only potential 'scientific' clue that something 'odd' is going on is if we can point to human beings producing unexplainable scientific measurements. If we believe that humans do have free will AND however they always conform to the laws of physics, then both camps are ultimately based upon faith.

We should honestly note that although a lack of evidence is not the same as an evidence of lack, nevertheless it can be compelling from a pragmatic perspective. Scientific materialism is nothing if not pragmatic.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 02:16 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;118526 wrote:
to make the assertion that we could not have done otherwise given the circumstances is to presume to know something that could not be known.

Of course we could have done otherwise but through deliberation we did not.

It would seem to me that you're inferring that since only one alternative is ever chosen that means that only one alternative could have been chosen. Well there is no way to verify this that I can see so stating it as fact seems a little presumptuous.

*** EDIT FOR ADDITIONS***
As I've said everything(IMO) needs a cause minus the(an) original cause or causer. In the case of our actions, I submit that my free will is an original cause. Now at the same time we can want to do something and still not be allowed to do it, but in such cases someone or something has to negate our will.

For example, say I want to get through a doorway that someone is blocking and that person says they have orders not to let me through. Now say I still will(or desire or choose or whatever word you want to use) to go in the other room so I try and make a break for it and in the process he knocks me unconscious. My will has just been negated by an outside force but this did not negate that I desired or willed to go to the other room

I think if you separate the will from the act it becomes clearer(for me at least). We are compelled, but the only compelling force that matters is our will.

I guess it reminds me of a quote I heard one time which was "A man can do what he wants, but he can't will what he wills"
which I always took to mean that while I can do anything, the things I desire to do, aren't up to me. For example, I can do school work, but I can't make myself have a yearning for it.

1. The issue is not whether or not we know whether or not we can do otherwise, but whether or not we can do otherwise whether we know it or not. It is a metaphysical issue, and not an epistemological issue.

2.It was the philosopher, Schopenhauer who wrote, that we can do as we please, but we cannot please as we please. This raises two questions: (a) Is it true? Can I not, for example please to smoke, but then decide not to please to smoke? 2. Even if it is true, does that mean that even if I cannot please as I please, that if I do as I please, that I am not acting of my own free will?

3. Why would anyone think that when I do what I want, I am compelled to do it, because my want compels me? It is exactly when I do what I want that I can be said not to be compelled.

4. Finally, why should it be thought that if I do X, it is only if I can do other than X in exactly identical condition I did X, that this would be acting of my own free will? First of all, no one (except some theologians and philosophers who ape them) use the term "free will" that way. Second of all, as Daniel Dennett puts it, why would anyone even think such indeterministic free will was worth having?

fast

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 02:21 pm
@prothero,
[QUOTE=kennethamy;118504]"I wanted to do it, but I would have had to do it anyway, whether or not I wanted to". To say that I would have had to do it whether or not I wanted to, is not to say that I had to do it (was forced to do it).[/QUOTE]You would have had to do it may not be the same as you had to do it, but I'm not sure what your point is. You had to do it (or else suffer)!

If you must turn right (or else suffer), then you will turn right (or else suffer).

The law is a constant compelling force. It compels us (it pressures us) to act in certain ways, and it does so independent of what we want.

To say you have been compelled to do x is not to imply you therefore did X. I can pressure you to do something, and you can overcome that pressure and resist the compulsion that is present independent of what you want. That you don't resist the present force (since you want to do what is required of you) isn't to say it's not a compelling force. It's not compelling you do something other than what you want to do, but that (I would have thought) is a different matter.

Amperage

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 02:25 pm
@pagan,
pagan;118561 wrote:
hi Amperage

well i agree that just because we do not violate the laws of physics then it doesn't follow we are machines without choice/free will. Nor do i believe that free will is without very obvious constraints.

But there are potential willed paranormal phenomenon. They have never been measured as anything but statistical noise or non events in the lab .......... For some that is conclusive. (But not me.)

The point is that with regard to those contrary philosophies, how do we account for a lack of measurable distinction between a machine and a human? Free will is necessarily not measurable scientifically as i wrote before, and the only potential 'scientific' clue that something 'odd' is going on is if we can point to human beings producing unexplainable scientific measurements. If we believe that humans do have free will AND however they always conform to the laws of physics, then both camps are ultimately based upon faith.

We should honestly note that although a lack of evidence is not the same as an evidence of lack, nevertheless it can be compelling from a pragmatic perspective. Scientific materialism is nothing if not pragmatic.
agreed. The thing for me is that I know mathematically, biologically, scientifically, and heck even Biblically I have nothing much to stand on.

I can only convince myself of free will by the same token that I convince myself that I have a soul. I believe I have a soul and I believe my soul is what accounts for my will. By the same token, even if there was some scientific way to prove I have a soul this still would not be able to prove I have free will. I don't really know why I fight the notion that I don't so hard other than I guess it's just always seemed strange to me that God would be putting us through "life" just to be watchers. Because if we have a soul, and we don't have free will, we(our soul) are(is) just watching what's going on but can't intervene in anyway.

Perhaps He might just want us to come to the recognition of His glory and love though

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 02:29 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;118563 wrote:
1.4. Finally, why should it be thought that if I do X, it is only if I can do other than X in exactly identical condition I did X, that this would be acting of my own free will? First of all, no one (except some theologians and philosophers who ape them) use the term "free will" that way. Second of all, as Daniel Dennett puts it, why would anyone even think such indeterministic free will was worth having?

Zetherin

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 02:32 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;118569 wrote:

It seems to me you'd make a horrible, horrible judge. Would anyone ever go to jail or be accountable for their actions? You would conclude that everyone must have done as they did! :perplexed:

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 02:37 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;118570 wrote:
It seems to me you'd make a horrible, horrible judge. Would anyone ever go to jail or be accountable for their actions? You would conclude that everyone must have done as they did! :perplexed:

fast

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 02:37 pm
@Zetherin,
[QUOTE=Zetherin;118501]They are instructing everyone to go a certain way, but they are only forcing those people who do not want to go that way, to go that way.[/QUOTE]They aren't allowing people who want to go right to go straight are they?

[QUOTE]Suppose I go to a food vendor which offers two choices, A and B. After making up my mind that I would choose A, I go to the vendor to order. While at the vendor someone tells me that choice B would induce food poisoning. I now choose A. I did not freely choose because B would induce food poisoning? [/QUOTE]When you go to the red-light with a cop directing you to the right, you have to go to the right or else suffer the wrath that the law can bring. When you go to the food vendor, such is not the case.

Here's another example that I've used before that I think Kennethamy agrees with. He wants to obey the posted speed limit signs, but I, fast, do not, but I do obey the posted speed limit sign not because I want to but because I don't want to suffer the negative consequences of the law. According to him (and me usually), he is not compelled to obey the law, but I am compelled to obey the law. The law is what pressures me (compels me) to slow down when I don't want to.

Kennethamy thinks that because he wants to obey the speed limit, he is not compelled to do other than what he wants to do, and he's right, but my position (I'm taking at the moment) is to reject the notion he has that he's not being compelled. I think he is being compelled, but I do not therefore think he's being compelled to do other than what he wants.

My position (at the moment) is that he is always compelled to obey the law since the law is always a compelling force to all. We may overcome the compelling pressure of the law, but that is a difference issue.

Amperage

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 02:38 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;118573 wrote:
please elaborate...

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 03:17:21