@Amperage,
Amperage;118615 wrote:
purpose would not exist for you

Correct ! ...CONDITION....

Amperage

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 03:24 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;118614 wrote:
so then in your estimation existence is an illusion as we know it at least...

an illusion implies that there is A reality in which that illusion exists.

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 03:28 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;118617 wrote:
so then in your estimation existence is an illusion as we know it at least...an illusion implies that there is A reality for which that illusion exists.

fast

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 03:33 pm
@prothero,
[QUOTE=Zetherin;118604]Indeed. It would be of my own free will. So, if I made that right-hand turn, I would be making that right-hand turn of my own free will. The fact that is also complies with the law is besides the point.[/QUOTE]Right. This has nothing to do with free will. It has to do with compulsion. Kennethamy said, "How could I be forced to do what I want to do?" I take this to imply that he believes that one cannot be compelled to do that which one wants to do. At any rate, that's what I'm arguing against. I think one can be compelled to act in accordance to how one wants to act (or so I'd like to think), yet I do not mean to imply a consequence to free will.

The law is a compelling (pressuring) phenomenon that constantly applies to all people within a jurisdiction independent of the people's wants. It may not compel some people to act in opposition to how they want to act, but I never said it would.

Amperage

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 03:33 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;118619 wrote:
We experience a different perspective of the same Reality...

I a Universe of 5 variables the difference between 1 and 5 is precisely the perspective...in my view both represent the entire set relations...
well considering experience is part of the illusion as nothing can be "experienced", it seems not to make sense.

Consider this...even if I grant that nothing "exists" in an "as an aware, alive, able to do things entity" this still ignores the fact that it(everything that is) would need a beginning. A Cause for which there is no cause if you will.

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 03:39 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;118621 wrote:
well considering experience is part of the illusion as nothing can be "experienced", it seems not to make sense.

Consider this...even if I grant that nothing "exists" in an "as an aware, alive, able to do things entity" this still ignores the fact that it(everything that is) would need a beginning. A Cause for which there is no cause if you will.

I disagree, the strongness of the LAW is precisely in being unavoideble...
...I mean Eternal, not created...ABSOLUTE !

...but yes if you go beyond Time nothing is caused, THINGS\THING are !!!

Indeed:

Amperage

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 03:47 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;118622 wrote:
I disagree, the strongness of the LAW is precisely in being unavoideble...
...I mean Eternal, not created...ABSOLUTE !

...but yes if you go beyond Time nothing is caused, THINGS\THING are !!!
Well then saying that something IS(ARE) is another way of saying it has no cause.....my whole point is that if anything can exist and have no cause, well then perhaps a soul exists without needing a cause....and if so, perhaps(and this disregards everything I've been granting) that soul interacts with me(for you I'd just have to say the atoms that make up "me") in such a way as to grant me something only granted to those things that interact with a soul. Namely, (at a top level view), the ability to make conditionally free choices.

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 03:50 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;118624 wrote:
Well then saying that something IS(ARE) is another way of saying it has no cause.....my whole point is that if anything can exist and have no cause, well then perhaps a soul exists without needing a cause....and if so, perhaps(and this disregards everything I've been granting) that soul interacts with me(for you I'd just have to say the atoms that make up "me") in such a way as to grant me something only granted to those things that interact with a soul. Namely, (at a top level view), the ability to make conditionally free choices.

Amperage

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 03:54 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;118625 wrote:
It may be the language barrier between you and I( though you are doing a good job at getting your points across) or just not knowing the first thing about Taoism, but I'm not %100 sure what that means....but what I take that to mean is that the cause(for me The Causer) did nothing more than push the first domino and the rest of the domino's took care of themselves.
If that is what you're saying I can go with that.

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 03:58 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;118627 wrote:
It may be the language barrier between you and I( though you are doing a good job at getting your points across) or just not knowing the first thing about Taoism but I'm not %100 sure what that means....but what I take that to mean is that the cause(for me The Causer) did nothing more than push the first domino and the rest of the dominos took care of themselves.
If that is what you're saying I can go with that.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 04:00 pm
@fast,
fast;118565 wrote:
You would have had to do it may not be the same as you had to do it, but I'm not sure what your point is. You had to do it (or else suffer)!

If you must turn right (or else suffer), then you will turn right (or else suffer).

The law is a constant compelling force. It compels us (it pressures us) to act in certain ways, and it does so independent of what we want.

To say you have been compelled to do x is not to imply you therefore did X. I can pressure you to do something, and you can overcome that pressure and resist the compulsion that is present independent of what you want. That you don't resist the present force (since you want to do what is required of you) isn't to say it's not a compelling force. It's not compelling you do something other than what you want to do, but that (I would have thought) is a different matter.

Here is an example from John Locke:

A man is in a room. The man likes being in the room. He does not want to leave the room. He is staying in the room voluntarily. However, what he does not know is that the door to the room is locked, and he cannot get out. Is the man being forced to stay in the room? Is the man staying in the room of his own free will?

Amperage

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 04:01 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;118628 wrote:
now that just doesn't make sense. Nothing in the material world can come into motion on it's own. I'm pretty sure that's written.

something outside the material world would have to interact somewhere.

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 04:05 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;118629 wrote:
Here is an example from John Locke:

A man is in a room. The man likes being in the room. He does not want to leave the room. He is staying in the room voluntarily. However, what he does not know is that the door to the room is locked, and he cannot get out. Is the man being forced to stay in the room? Is the man staying in the room of his own free will?

Well, if he is there (its a fact)...he is being forced by the preceding conditions to be and want what he does...

---------- Post added 01-08-2010 at 05:06 PM ----------

Amperage;118630 wrote:
now that just doesn't make sense. Nothing in the material world can come into motion on it's own. I'm pretty sure that's written

Amperage

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 04:08 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;118632 wrote:
well based on the laws that govern the material world I don't see how you justify that.

Something outside of the material world had to interact in some way IMO.

however from there it's anyone game....obviously there is some logic in your views barring an explanation of the ---nothing-to-something--- point

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 04:13 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;118636 wrote:
well based on the laws that govern the material world I don't see how you justify that.

Something outside of the material world had to interact in some way IMO

I Think your not getting this time around what I am at...

Motion was not Invented from Nothingness...was allays there...yet it is predetermined...so, another "simulation"...It must be a mathematical axis, or something...at this point on I cannot go further...

Amperage

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 04:17 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;118639 wrote:
I Think your not getting this time around what I am at...

Motion was not Invented from Nothingness...was allays there...yet it is predicted...so, another "simulation"...It must be a mathematical axis, or something...at this point on I cannot go further...
lol...it's all good brother....you're a smart dude...I admit my entire line of questioning was nothing more than an attempt to see if there was room for what I consider an overriding obligation of mine and what you were saying(IMO there is).....I admit that I have no clue if we truly have free will or not....I hope that we do but I am on thin ice with that IMO

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 04:19 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;118642 wrote:
lol...it's all good brother....you're a smart dude...I admit my entire line of questioning was nothing more than an attempt to see if there was room for what I consider an overriding obligation of mine and what you were saying(IMO there is).....I admit that I have no clue if we truly have free will or not....I hope that we do but I am on thin ice with that IMO

kennethamy

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 04:32 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;118642 wrote:
lol.....I admit that I have no clue if we truly have free will or not....I hope that we do but I am on thin ice with that IMO

If your writing this post is not an example of truly having free will, then what would be an example of truly having free will? It would be like looking at a red fire engine and saying, "I have no clue whether that fire engine is red or not". If that fire engine is not red, then what is red?

By the way: what is supposed to be the difference between truly having free will and just having free will?
And, why would you hope we have free will if you do not believe that when you write the post you just wrote is having free will? What else would you like free will to be other than what you already identify as free will?

Would you say that you had no clue whether the fire engine is red, but that you certainly hoped it was red? But that you are "on thin ice" with that hope?

Very puzzling.

Amperage

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 04:48 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;118647 wrote:
If your writing this post is not an example of truly having free will, then what would be an example of truly having free will?
The point is that, yes, it might be that writing this post is an example of free will, however, it might also be that I had no choice but to write this based on what you said and my being here and my personality type, etc. etc. etc.

kennethamy;118647 wrote:
It would be like looking at a red fire engine and saying, "I have no clue whether that fire engine is red or not". If that fire engine is not red, then what is red?
it would be more equatable to looking at a doll that could talk say ,"I'm want french fries". Except we would be the doll.

kennethamy;118647 wrote:
By the way: what is supposed to be the difference between truly having free will and just having free will?
I just meant to highlight the difference between having free will and the illusion of thinking you have free will.

kennethamy;118647 wrote:
And, why would you hope we have free will if you do not believe that when you write the post you just wrote is having free will?
It may be that I am hard determined to think I have free will.

kennethamy;118647 wrote:
What else would you like free will to be other than what you already identify as free will?
nothing else. I believe I do have free will but at the same time I recognize that at the end of the day I'm nothing more than a bunch of atoms.

fast

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 04:51 pm
@kennethamy,
[QUOTE=kennethamy;118629]Here is an example from John Locke:

A man is in a room. The man likes being in the room. He does not want to leave the room. He is staying in the room voluntarily. However, what he does not know is that the door to the room is locked, and he cannot get out. Is the man being forced to stay in the room? Is the man staying in the room of his own free will?[/QUOTE]Yes and yes.

He is staying of his own free will (recall, he doesn't want to leave), but he is nevertheless (and unbeknownst to him), restrained from leaving (he can't get out), so he is both compelled to stay yet staying of his own free will.

You agree that he is staying of his own free will because he wants to stay, but because he wants to stay, you think he isn't compelled to stay, but since he can't leave of his own free will, I'm not sure why you think he isn't compelled to stay.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 12:51:22