What is "matter" in the quantum age?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

housby

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 08:38 pm
@Jackofalltrades phil,
QuinticNon,
These were exactly the questions I was going to post.
Jackofalltrades,
If the child has no sense perception at all, how can it know what food is? It is being fed from some kind of drip, directly into the blood stream, and has absolutely no knowledge of the world "outside". It can have no knowledge of that world. If you think it can have such knowledge please explain where this knowledge comes from. If self-awareness is possible please explain how this comes about without anything to measure against (i.e. that which is not part of us). Try to put yourself in the position of the senseless child/person. If we remove all religious/mystical arguments from the equation (as these are merely acts of "faith") what excatly are we left with? A human being with no senses is, mentally, in the world of "nothing" because that person has nothing whatsoever to measure itself against. How can it have? If you have no sight how can you even begin to understand the concept of colour? "Colour" to such a person is a meaningless term. Try to imagine having no senses. This is difficult enough due to the fact that we have all had them. Imagine the shear impossibility of coming to terms with matter and existence if you had never had any sense perception? There are arguments for a priori knowledge, knowledge that requires no experience, but outside of religious or mystical argument nothing seems to hold up. Try to think of anything that does not require experience in order to know it. Even those who would introduce "God" and suchlike into the argument in order to explain things from a non-materialistic point of view would be hard pressed to explain how we get knowledge of God and/or religon without the information given to us from sense-perception. Try to explain anything at all without refering to experience. If anyone reading this can come up with even one concept that does not require experience I will gladly bow out of the argument.
I know this has gone off thread a little but my original argument about the measurement of particles and the difficulty (impossibility) of proving their existence has brought us to this point.

QuinticNon

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 09:53 pm
@Jackofalltrades phil,
Jackofalltrades;120196 wrote:
...i am afraid, this will take us away from the object of this thread.

Do you really think so? Could uncovering what thought and consciousness are help present clues to what matter is in the quantum age, seeing that thought and consciousness are exactly what promote the very concepts of classic and quantum physics?

1) Think, a verb, means use of the mind. What for? to examine, observe, to form opinions, conclusions etc.

What and where is this mind you speak of and how is it used to think? Are "examine, observe, opinion, conclusion" end results that "think" gets from the use of mind? Does thinking use the mind, or does mind use thinking?

Thinking... in the conventional sense, means 'the hard use of mind'.

Could you explain what you mean by "the hard use of mind"?

It is a natural process. It is used to reason, evaluate, to learn, know, be aware etc.

What makes you say it is "a natural process"? Do rocks have the ability? Are rocks natural?

Whereas, thought is the power of thinking or process of thinking.

Is thought a power source? Is there research on this? Shall I suppose then that thinking needs to be powered? Is there a difference between "power of thinking" and "process of thinking"? Is there a physical mechanism in any of this? Is thinking a process or is thought a process?

It is deeper in the sense that it works on a semblance of intelligence.

What is "a semblance of intelligence"? What is the "it" you refer to that "works on" the semblance of intelligence? Is the "it" thought or thinking? Does a process work on the semblance of intelligence or does a power work on the semblance of intelligence?

Here we can understand that thought is a mechanism to think. Which means to know or to be aware.

Is thought a power, a process, or a mechanism? Where would it get it's power from? Is the process mapped out anywhere? Is the mechanism empirically identifiable?

Limited to this rather than th epower of reasoning, calculating etc. This is the basic function of thought or thoughts.

If thought, as you say, is limited to "know"ing and "aware"ness, then how are reasoning, calculating, etc not a part of thought? How does thought "know"? How does thought become "aware"? Is thought a sentient entity all its own, capable "to know" and "to be aware"?

Further, we should understand something about cognition. 'To know', should not be confused with the popular use of the term knowledge. the basic thought or power to think or process of thinking meachnism has nothing to do with the term 'knowledge' in the present intellectual or middleclass conventional sense, if you get what i mean.

How exactly do we come to this "understanding" about cognition? Is this "understanding" what you mean by "to know" or is it "knowledge" or something entirely different?

Here, therfore, it is better to use the term 'aware'. So what is thought? Thought is the mechanism to be aware.

Did you not say earlier that "thinking... a natural process... is used to reason, evaluate, to learn, to know, be aware"? But now are you saying that "thought" is the mechanism to "be aware"? So which is it, thought or thinking that allows us to be "aware"? Did you not make great effort to separate the definitions of "thought" and "thinking"? Which one brings awareness? And when you say "to know", do you mean "understanding"?

Now, how do one be aware, unless one is not conscious. Hence, consciousness is important for awareness.

Is consciousness separate from "thought", "thinking", "understanding", "knowing", "to know", or to "be aware", or is consciousness synonymous with one of those words?

What exactly have you explained here, thought, thinking, awareness, knowing, knowledge, understanding, cognition, conscious, or your "hunch... that the child has thought"? Was my question answered? "What does the child (with no senses) think about, and how does she think it? Did you not say "my hunch is that the child has thought"? Are you supporting your hunch effectively here?

now let us turn our focus to housby's child who was painstakingly kept alive till the age of 18 even though he is bereft of any senses.

Before we do, is there any other way to explain what you said above so that it makes any sense to me? Is there any research you can point me to?

The fact that all of its vital organs are functioning leads us to the fact that the body and body organs are in conscious state of existence, which in other words mean living.

How is it a "fact" that body organs are in a conscious state of existence? Do body organs "think" or have "thought"? Is "living" equal to "conscious state of existence"? Are the unconscious comatose not alive?

The fact that the body organs are functioning makes the child a living being...

Are functioning organs the qualifier for something to be considered a living being? Is the rabbit roadkill with squashed brain living or not, even though his head is cut away but his heart and liver still function?

the body organs are functioning makes the child a living being...(not the mind or 'thinking' part) and therfore it is conscious.

Do I read you correctly in that the mind and brain and "thinking part" can be completely removed and we can still consider something as conscious? How does consciousness come to anything that cannot think?

Once conscious, it means it is aware of itself. The unconscious state is still a living state.

So functioning body organs are conscious and can become aware of themselves but "(not the mind or "thinking" part)"? Do I read you correctly?

Perhaps, you may argue, in the line that the brain cannot 'think', due to the theory that knowldge comes ONLY because of sensory-perception, needs careful examination of facts and a neat study of the brain. Even if the brain is dead, the body is living. this should be borne in mind.

Would you expect any argument from me whatsoever? Do I sound like I understand a single thing you've said? What are the "careful examination of facts" that you refer to? Can you point me to some reference material? What do you mean by "this should be borne in mind"?

In this exercise however, brain is not given to be dead.

What, if not the ability to think or have thought, or exercise cognition, or exhibit consciousness, does allow the brain to be given as dead? If it's not dead, is it a functioning organ? If it's a functioning organ, can it have consciousness?

But even if the brain is dead, impulses acting through stimuli or environmental triggers amply demonstrates that living bodies are indeed aware of the surroundings and of itself.

Since when does reaction to stimuli qualify something as being alive? Doesn't water react to stimuli? Don't snowflakes react to stimuli? Does a rock not react to stimuli? Aluminum? Are these things also alive, but without functioning organs bringing them to consciousness?

Living bodies are not machine who are not aware of itslef.

What awareness does a rose have of itself? Is is possible to be "aware" without "thought"? How does the rose satisfy your earlier statement that "consciousness is important for awareness". Does this mean the rose is conscious? And if, as you say, "Thought is the mechanism to be aware", and a rose is "aware", then does it not follow that a rose can "think" or have a "thought"? Can a rose think without a brain?

Therefore, your notion of 'think' in your question will take you into a wrong approach.

How do you know what my notion of "think" is? Have I presented it to you? Do you suppose my notion of "think" is somewhat of a "middleclass conventional sense" of thinking?

In this case the child does not 'think' as you think thinking is all about.

Where have I expressed any of my own "thoughts" about "thinking" for you to know what my "think thinking is all about"?

Here the child is aware of itslef, and is conscious.

Is your statement alone enough to it make it so? Can you please explain how conscious functioning organs allow a child to be aware of itself, when the child is actually unconscious? Are the conscious functioning organs each the same as the child herself, or are they cumulatively a part of what makes up the child? If the child donated her heart to another recipient, would the donated heart actually be the child herself? Is DNA left at a crime scene the perp or a part of the perp?

Therefore, thought (the unconventional one) exists in the form of neural messages, impluses and that communication between cells takes place as long as it is kept 'alive'.

Are you supposing that there is actually a type of "unconventional thought" that science and philosophy acknowledge? Do I read you correctly that this so called "unconventional thought" is nothing more than functioning organs that can react to stimuli? Are you suggesting that "thought" and "thinking" do not require a mind? What does the transplanted heart "think" about?

Do you presume that "messages" and "impulses" are synonymous and together form a type of mindless "communication"?

We come to know about this scientifically also.

What science teaches what you have said?

But i would appeal to common sense and logic to deduce the facts about life.

Who's common sense and logic are you referring to, yours or mine?

If you can reach this point along with me, than from here on our journey of thoughts become simpler and easier.

Forgive me for asking, but what exactly is the point we have reached? Am I getting your point with conscious organs and roses that are aware of themselves? Has an actual mechanism been demonstrated in any of this?

The tree feels, but whether it has feelings (the conventional sense and meaning of the word) is an open question.

What is the dictionary you use to convey the definitions of unconventional "feelings" and "thinking" and also the unconventional use of the term "knowledge" as you say, "in the present intellectual or middleclass conventional sense, if you get what i mean".

Should we not be using the same dictionary definitions to ensure effective communication? Is it proper to use these terms earlier and not have defined the unique and unconventional "meanings" that you have assigned to all of them?

In human cognition, the brain processes data to know and be aware.

How? What is the mechanism that permits the brain to process data? Do you have an unconventional definition for "data"? And does this brain process interfere or disconnect the conscious organs that were aware of themselves previously without a brain? Does a functioning brain work with or without conscious organs? Does the brain work the same way that a conscious organ does when reacting to stimuli, thus proving the consciousness of the organs?

Cognition does not involve emotions. Perhaps emotions and emotional thoughts are related with sensory -perceptions.

Doesn't all life have some form of sensory perception, as you say "stimuli and triggers"? Does this imply that a rose can therefor express or know emotion?

The tree and the housby's child is well aware of itself and responds to external stimulus,...

Did you not say earlier that "thinking" is used to "be aware"? Are you claiming that tree's can "think"? Or does the tree have "conscious organs" that are aware of themselves and therefor the tree is also aware but does not think?

environment and the ability to 'struggle' for life or survive is an important concept in evolutionary biology.

By "struggle" do you mean "think"? Is that why it is in parenthesis? Certainly you're not implying that the environment can think? Are you? Does the cell "know" it is "struggling"? Does it "think" about struggling? What purpose does "thinking" serve to the survival instinct? Is thinking an instinct? Which came first, evolution, or the ability to "think struggle? Or is the ability to "think struggle" synonymous with evolution?

here, one needs to know the subtle way in which our brain/mind and body works, especially cognition. It is frontal science, and i do not claim more knowledge on this front.

By frontal science, are you meaning frontal brain science as in frontal lobe or frontal cortex?

Now to your last question. It is said that cytoplasm, and there is another constituent of the cell (alleles ? not sure) that are 'known' to collect information.

Oh boy would you please explain how a cell "collects information"? Where is the source of information it collects? Is there a sentient author to this information or does it arise from chaos? Can chaos author information?

How does the information is processed, collated, deciphered, discerned selected and signalled to other constituents to trigger an action or make a reaction is a question of deep biology.

Have I been wrong all this time by thinking that actions are made and reactions are triggered? Why do you phrase it the other way around by saying actions are triggered and reactions are made? Is there no real difference between cause/reaction and thought/action?

If the pitcher plant is not conscious or does not 'feel' how does one think that it can evolve a mechanism of the insect trap and than trap it ingenously and later consume it too.

Does not the cause/reaction of stimuli and triggers suffice to explain that event? What need is there for thought/action and conscious decision making faculties for the pitcher plant to trap prey?

Does not your pet dog think about you and protect your house too?

How can I know? Does he protect my house or his house? In my absence, what does he think of me without stimuli and triggers to initiate the thinking?

But if you ask the mecahnism of its 'thinking', than no one can say with certainty, it can be speculated and deduced.

Then what good would asking do?

Jackofalltrades phil

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 11:01 pm
@prothero,
Quinticnon,

You need to join a school. I am not so generous to give answers to all your foolish questions which are frankly without much 'thought'.

Do some reading in life sciences, google up all those keywords, put 2 and 2 together and see what you get. Hope to see you seen in your intelligent avatar.

QuinticNon

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 11:49 pm
@Jackofalltrades phil,
Jackofalltrades;120383 wrote:
You need to join a school.

Is that where you received your knowledge? And when I say "knowledge", shall I speak of "knowledge" or "knowing" in the traditional or conventional manner, or in the unconventional way that you describe? What sort of knowledge do you possess, conventional or unconventional?

I am not so generous to give answers to all your foolish questions which are frankly without much 'thought'.

Well if not all of my foolish questions, will you answer your favorite five or so of my foolish questions? What foolish questions have I asked?

Do some reading in life sciences...

Any suggestions?

google up all those keywords, put 2 and 2 together and see what you get.

What keywords? Where shall I expect to find clear and straight forward support for your dissertation? Do google searches produce information based upon conventional definitions of words or do they respond better to unconventional definitions of words?

Hope to see you seen in your intelligent avatar.

What is an "intelligent avatar"? What is meant by "hope to see you seen"?

Jackofalltrades phil

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 12:20 am
@housby,
housby;120351 wrote:
QuinticNon,
These were exactly the questions I was going to post.
Jackofalltrades,
If the child has no sense perception at all, how can it know what food is? It is being fed from some kind of drip, directly into the blood stream, and has absolutely no knowledge of the world "outside". It can have no knowledge of that world. If you think it can have such knowledge please explain where this knowledge comes from. If self-awareness is possible please explain how this comes about without anything to measure against (i.e. that which is not part of us). Try to put yourself in the position of the senseless child/person. If we remove all religious/mystical arguments from the equation (as these are merely acts of "faith") what excatly are we left with? A human being with no senses is, mentally, in the world of "nothing" because that person has nothing whatsoever to measure itself against. How can it have? If you have no sight how can you even begin to understand the concept of colour? "Colour" to such a person is a meaningless term. Try to imagine having no senses. This is difficult enough due to the fact that we have all had them. Imagine the shear impossibility of coming to terms with matter and existence if you had never had any sense perception? There are arguments for a priori knowledge, knowledge that requires no experience, but outside of religious or mystical argument nothing seems to hold up. Try to think of anything that does not require experience in order to know it. Even those who would introduce "God" and suchlike into the argument in order to explain things from a non-materialistic point of view would be hard pressed to explain how we get knowledge of God and/or religon without the information given to us from sense-perception. Try to explain anything at all without refering to experience. If anyone reading this can come up with even one concept that does not require experience I will gladly bow out of the argument.
I know this has gone off thread a little but my original argument about the measurement of particles and the difficulty (impossibility) of proving their existence has brought us to this point.

You are getting a bit excited. No one talked about 'colour', 'food', 'experience', 'knowledge of God' or 'introducing God'. where are we going into. Please read the posts slowly, and carefully.

While you continue to be obssessed with knowledge, I had therfore delineated or deemphasised the knowledge - the conception you have about it, to the conception of 'awareness'. Awareness is also a kind knowledge. You are of course referring and knowing 'knowledge' as the result of 'education' or 'experience'.

The child in your thought-experiment, OBVIOUSLY, cannot gain knowldge - the knowldge that you keep refering to. But the child is AWARE.

To understand this knowledge of Awareness, you should remove your emotions, ego, conscious sensory thoughts, dream thoughts, the superflous and supeficial thoughts that a young person may have, also the gross thoughts etc. Only by removing these thoughts out of your mind, you will come to a state of self- awareness.

Now, admittedly, here we are going out of the so-called scientific realm, and entering the contentious realm of the spiritual world. However, we note that quantum theory also dvelves on 'matter' in an unconventional way. It talks about the possibilty of space-time not by the theories which were until then held plausible by which universe and its constituents were explained and held as material objects, measurable and detectable.
Indeed the macroscopic matter can be defined by them, but difficulty is encountered by man when dealing with quantum matter.

But let us leave that aside for a moment, and comeback to your Child experiment. The child has a thought was my proposition.

In my response to the other poster, i tried to link how a thought exists. Consciousness leads to awareness. Awareness means Life. If there is life with awareness, than one would legitimately ask how it is aware. I hope this would have been a question. Logically, there has to be a mechanism of it to be aware. What is it Aware about, and what is it that holds that Awareness. These are age-old questions in spiritual science. So kindly read or study from this science's apart from psychology and psyciatry, i am sure you will gain from it.

Now, if awareness is there, the mechanics of being in the state of awareness is what i call as thought.

Now, let me formalise and sum this in equational form or with help of associational connections or figurative narration.

1) Consciousness - (you may agree on the term-concept called consciousness, let us take the dictionary meaning for mutual understanding)

2) Awareness - (again this is not difficult, if we agree to the dictionary meaning of the term-concept)

The connection between Consciousness and Awareness is Thought.

That means Consciousness + Thought = Awareness.

This can also be shown as Consciousness --> Awareness --> Thought.

Now, since it is dealing with the abstract, and purely in the realm of the mind, you cannot ask me to prove it in concrete terms.

In the spiritual realm of human affairs there is near unanimity of the above summation. Only difficulty in understanding would be the difficulty of unfamiliarity. Affinity and interest will breed familiarity. So my appeal to you since you are a member and interested in quantum physics and the nature of matter, you should also apprise yourself with the teachings of J Krishnamurti and physicists like David Bohm, they have dealt extensively to the subjects of what is thought, thinking and to think.

I assure you of you profiting from thsi venture of study, than me doing any justice to your thoughts. But if again you have any clarifications on this i will be glad to help you out further. Thanks

Now, in the last part or the penultimate sentence, you talk about no concepts without experience. You are right on that count. Every 'knowledge' - the conventional, dictionary, empirical sense of the term - is a result of relationship. It is how our mind has evolved. But self awareness is also knowledge, for your information.

A body in a vegetative state may not be able to commuicate or feel concepts like 'blood' 'infusion' or 'food'. But the vegetative body knows (the process of knowing or the means of acheiving knowledge) what food - the matter is.
The possibilty that you may confuse the word food and the concept of food with the actual material energy-matter is there.

If food - the energy-matter, is given through the veins the body will react accordingly. It is because the cells are conscious and living, it means the body is aware, which means the deducted thought exists.

Again, i would repeat, do not think about 'thought' in the conventional meaning - as i had stated earlier, this thought kind of thought can be explained by words like impulsive thought, neural energy or simply put as 'message - giving thoughts' in neurology.

You may ask for further clarifications before we go back to the main topic.

---------- Post added 01-16-2010 at 01:31 PM ----------

Q,

Yours rantings are superb! I enjoyed it thoroughly! Thanks

Aemun

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 03:26 am
@Jackofalltrades phil,
So you say the aforementioned child would come up with its own intuitive version of 'cogito, ergo sum' in your sophisticated possibly panpsychist way. This seems, a priori, to be a fair enough theory.

Are you therefore stating that although we can never know anything about matter in the 'conventional sense of knowledge', we could know the workings of an atom if we were indeed to be an atom, Perhaps due to the panpsychism of the universe?

Have we reached a dead-end down this epistemological avenue?

jeeprs

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 04:33 am
@prothero,
Actually there are lots of empirical studies of just these types of topics done by cognitive psychology. I can't remember many of them but a few are as follows. Kittens were raised in an environment where they were only exposed to vertical objects and vertical stripes and patterns for the first 6 weeks of their lives. After that time they were put in a space containing horizontal obstacles. They walked into them and could not navigate the environment at all.

Another story I remember was about a pygmy chieftan. Pygmies live in very dense forest and as a result only ever see things a few meters away. This pygmy chieftan was taken by an anthropologist to the top of a mountain range. There you could see the African plains far below with wildebeest and the like moving about. The chief kept kneeling down and trying to pick them up. He could not fathom the idea of perspective on that scale in the least.

Then you have those true cases where children have been raised by wild dogs or wolf packs (which of course was the basis of the famous Rudyard Kipling story, Kim.) Such children do indeed behave like and, presumably, 'think' like dogs. They are very hard to return to society.

Human infants are quite unlike any other creature in that they are born virtuall helpless and can take up to 18 years to individuate. During the 18 years, the nascent cognitive abilities hardwired into the so-called 'tabula rasa' download a massive amount of cultural data, language and the like. What a piece of work, is man.

---------- Post added 01-16-2010 at 09:39 PM ----------

The question of 'what is knowledge of the real' is different to all of this. In our secular age, knowledge of the real is what comes out of the Large Hadron Collider and the Hubble Space Telescope. In regards to this, it is worth considering the evocative description of 'Cartesian Anxiety' as follows:

Quote:

I think everyone in this day and age suffers from this to one degree or another, knowingly or otherwise. It is an important part of the 'modern condition'.

QuinticNon

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 10:34 am
@prothero,
Sure, the child will react to stimuli. Electricity will move a muscle. This is not "awareness". This is simple cause and reaction. There is no thought/action. No more thought/action than water reacting to the stimuli of vibration. Is the water "aware" of vibration?

Jackofalltrades phil

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 12:26 pm
@Aemun,
Aemun;120415 wrote:
So you say the aforementioned child would come up with its own intuitive version of 'cogito, ergo sum' in your sophisticated possibly panpsychist way. This seems, a priori, to be a fair enough theory.

Are you therefore stating that although we can never know anything about matter in the 'conventional sense of knowledge', we could know the workings of an atom if we were indeed to be an atom, Perhaps due to the panpsychism of the universe?

Have we reached a dead-end down this epistemological avenue?

Is this addressed to me Jack the ripper......... I think so, therefore I shall.

Just kidding,........ but your intervention has brought back the main issue and i do appreciate that.

No, we have not reached a dead -end. About panpsychism, i do not know much, what it means or stands for. And I do not subscribe to those views, as some Quantum Physicists also suggests, of and about 'matrix', and 'universal consciousness' etc . The proposal that all are inter-connected is in a way logical, but still it is difficult to understand how the laptop is conscious of itself, isn't it? These theories dwell on the margins of human knowledge, and I am a skeptic who will not buy a theory by its name or whose name is tagged with it. But I am also caustiously optimistic of the human race.

Anyway, now to the hypothetical child of 18 years. I have shown the linkage between Consciousness, Awareness and Thought. Now, only a refutation of this link or co-relationship, an alleged consistency of thought, can shatter the theory that i proposed.

Again to consider: The child is conscious, the child has life, all vital organs are functional, cells are functioning, the cells are conscious, the cells are aware about their surroundings, the body is aware, the self and awareness exists, thought exists.

While it is difficult to understand how the laptop is conscious of itslef, it is not so difficult to understand whether a cell has consciousness or not. The cell is a living being just like any other living being that fulfills the criteria of life or living. Without thought or communication, no function will take place.

Finally, to wholly understand these things one should know the concepts of consciousness, awareness, thoughts, anima, communication etc.

The meaning change's according to the approach one takes towards this. The spiritualist has a meaning atributed to the word-term Consciousness/Awareness/Thought. The philosopher, who usurps a central position and dilly dallies between possible and plausible truths (with their own definitions) deals with Consciousness in his/her own way, while the elite scientist has only in the recent past started to refer let alone define what Consciousness is all about.

Now, thanks to Quantum Mechanics, the theorists are taking Consciousness seriously, but they do attempt to make their own definitions which is not bad for knowldge. Good really.

The string theorists have defined their own way and is promising to deal with the duality of matter, although, they are seemingly silent on consciousness.

What is needed is to marry all these thoughts to the Unified theory of the structure of matter.

Therefore, i had to deliberately inject the idea of looking beyond conventional meanings of a given term in these kinds of discussion. Agreed definitions are most important when different schools of ideas meet and clash. A fruitfull discussion is always a helathy discussion.

Now, what remains to be seen, is the vital questions of matter itslef. To give an idea, in the light of Quantum age, should we ponder on whether 'Consciousness' and 'thought' for that matter could be referred as 'Matter'.

Do let me know, but please no rhetorics.

QuinticNon

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 01:34 pm
@Jackofalltrades phil,
Jackofalltrades;120490 wrote:
I have shown the linkage between Consciousness, Awareness and Thought.

By associating synonyms from a dictionary? What mechanism does this demonstrate?

Jackofalltrades;120490 wrote:
but please no rhetorics.

Yes please... none at all. Just simple questions about circular and vague metaphysical connections. Simple questions, not rhetorical, deserving more than synonymous relationships from a dictionary to build a hypothetical tautology.

You kindly ask me to google "life sciences"... do all of "life sciences" support your position? Are life sciences built upon tautology of synonym?

housby

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 09:32 pm
@QuinticNon,
Oh dear!!
My introduction of the hypothetical child has created some argument. However, Jackofalltrades you are still not quite understanding my point. My argument is that thought is all we have. I think we live in a material world, I think it is possible that we don't, I think I am typing on this computer, I think you may be wrong, or that I may be wrong. My question to you again and again is what is self-awareness without thought? You argue that our self-awareness is similar to a tree "knowing" that it exists. What utter nonsense. How can you even begin to know that a tree has awareness of it's existense? A tree is organic, yes. Does it have a brain? No!! With no brain there is no thought or self-awareness. A child with no sense-perception is in a similar situation to the tree. Sure, it has a brain. But, and this is the question, with a complete lack of any stimuli to that brain does that brain have any function at all? You are talking about the mechanics of bodilly function. A body has a built-in ability to survive but it has no knowledge of why it has to survive because it has no reason to believe it exists. An innate ability to keep alive is not awareness, it is simply a survival instinct that does not have anything to do with awareness,knowledge or any other kind of rational thought.
You "accuse" me of being obsessed with knowledge and I accept that I am because I really do believe that that is all we have. Call it knowledge, experience, perception or the ability to measure the postion and movement of a particle (currently impossible, remember) I think that anything outside of experience is, at the very least, open to speculation.
Someone once said, "I refuse to believe in that which is there, let alone that which is not". If sub-atomic particles are "not there" (quantum physicists view not mine) then how can we be? Remember, I am not taking a stance on this, I am simply stating that we have every reason to doubt. You seem to be taking a defensive position based on some kind of knowledge that we mere mortals do not have.
Consider this: there is no religon, no God, no order in the universe, no higher plain or greater good (this is a hypothetical argument - not a point of view) then all we are left with is that which we absolutely know. We then "know" that we cannot prove that the very basic particles of all the universe (including ourselves) actually exist. How then do we know we exist? The fact that we need food to survive is not an argument because food is made of the same stuff as we are. So are stars, galaxies, etc. So is the brain, which is the source of all knowledge. You seem to be reaching out to some mystical knowledge above and beyond experience but without proof of this knowledge we are brought back to the point of empirical proof. Empirical knowledge provides no proof of existence, it simply suggests that that is the case. This is all I have been saying all along.

Jackofalltrades phil

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 11:53 pm
@prothero,
Housby,
A categorical Thanks, once again.

When i thank you, by way of the button given, (chances are you may not have noticed), it only means i acknowldge your position, at other times i may apprceiate your thought, and probably i may have gained an insight. Which in other terms mean i understand your point of view.

But understanding your point is not my only job (sorry i may sound ungenerous). My intervention would be on points of order or facts or what we see as truths. i would, indeed do a disservice to philosophy, myself and yourself, if i do not point out the gaps in thought, logic, knowledge and idea. If it is your case, that I should see, I should understand and I should clap and than walk off the room is not how seekers of truth generally behave. There is nothing personal here, it is only ideas that matter.

Lets remember from where we took off - the idea that whether matter exists after we stop observing it, was proposed by you since you contend that there is an element of doubt on that actually being the case, which was was contested by me. I took a view that we should not even think in those terms. You insisted that the doubt remains, which is fine, as i realised that it is a philosophers doubt and therfore i should not be dismissive of those doubts. Am I right till this count?

Hereafter, you had a view on building blocks of matter and that 'they virtually are not existing, as we understand it.' I made a point that existence is not contingent to our understanding. But it seems you did not like me pointing that out. You said one cannot brush that aside, by invoking greater minds than us. While at the same breath you also invoked the doctrine of direct experience, which appears ironical.

Thereafter, you brought this hypothetical child to demonstrate a point about knowledge. I am not sure what was the purpose, .........i just reviewed the page/postings...... you said something audacious. You said Hume proved ...'its all in the mind'. I may not have contested this point (perhaps i was in my generaous mood) but now I humbly protest your interpretation of Hume. As far as my readings goes, Hume was trying to explain why a-priori premise, inductive notions and conclusions are not reliable. He was among the firsts, along with Locke, in the Western Philosophical field to propose emprical evidences or direct experiences as the basis of objective conclusions. Jeeprs had corrected your notion.
This view, although late in arrival in the western intelectual scene, is what i support. But philosophical i do not reject nor approve of intutive or inductions while also being sympathetic to deductions, while they are logical followed.

BUT, you take this 'Its all in the mind' theory (mistakenly attributed as Hume's position) and proposed that houseby's 18 yearold non-sentient child has no thought in his head. A categorical NO, was a bit surprsiing from your side, as you had said previsouly that we cannot categorically reject something. wow.

i took the opportunity with the help of the your example or experiment, to contest your view. By your own policy, why can't you even consider that a child-now adult of 18 years whose brain is not dead cannot have a thought.

Now, i appreciate your reason beacuse you base your reasonings on a theory that 'all knowledge goes through sensory -perceptions'. You mean implicitly and explicitly (thru later submissions) that No 'Knowldge' No thought'. And i am trying to demonstrate that your knowledge is not all knowledge. Knowledge exists within a cell also, in a tree also. I am stressing on this because matter, the subatomic particles or any other kind, its structure, its existence does not rely perceptions, and especially human perceptions.

Child has no perception, is fine. Which means no perceptory -knowldge may exist. I said that was OBvious (you missed this acknowledgment, somehow). I went beyond that frame of opinion, I went further down the passage. I wanted to show that the child if alive and conscious, lives because its cells are sustained, by hook or crook, and therfore conscious as they continue to do their daily functions, continously and concertedly. Without their interaction with each other, malfunctioning will occur. Without co-ordination from the brain, or any other agency like the spinal cord, no child can be kept alive for 18 years. It means, while knowledge of the outside world may well depend on sensory perception, internal functioning of body organs are interdependnet and co-related by an internal mechanism of co-ordination and communication, not contingent on this 'conventional knowledge' of colours, God, etc. This mechansim can only take place by a system of taking and giving messages. This system is called in simple words thought. Or if you could devise a better word for this concept. I would be happy.

Now, and on the contrary, you have not proved how thought cannot exist. Is it your intuition, or an indirect experience.??? You still have an opportunity to refute my reasonings by showing how the links, as was shown, are not valid.

Now, i cant take leave without talking about 'nonsense' and its application.

Nonsense was very prevalent in the western world when they (including the church) thought that animals suffer no pain. animals do not think, animals are beasts of burden theory. It will take a lot of materialistic age to forego its place in the sun, to ultimately acknowldge that tree has a life, that a tree 'knows' about itself, it can also 'feel'. You need to wake out of slumber, like Kant did.

The problem, as i had mentioned before is in the human mind. Mind 'thinks' it is over matter, but Matter has its own mind.

QuinticNon

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 11:54 pm
@housby,
housby;120594 wrote:
I think we live in a material world, I think it is possible that we don't, I think I am typing on this computer, I think you may be wrong, or that I may be wrong.

You sir, are a Paragon. The ability to openly express an inquisitive open mind is certainly a character trait to cherish. Driving yourself to learn about the mechanistic reasoning behind these possibilities is a fine example of one who loves wisdom and knowledge.

housby;120594 wrote:
With no brain there is no thought or self-awareness.

Let's say we do have a brain. Are there other requirements for thinking besides a brain? What function do you think the brain does have concerning thought and self-awareness?

housby;120594 wrote:
with a complete lack of any stimuli to that brain does that brain have any function at all?

Yes. The brain will continue to control automated bodily functions such as heartbeat and breathing. But that does not mean the brain itself is functioning properly. The brain still has function, but it is also malfunctioning. Otherwise there wouldn't be a lacking response to stimuli.

housby;120594 wrote:
A body has a built-in ability to survive but it has no knowledge of why it has to survive because it has no reason to believe it exists.

Of course you mean the body with no senses or awareness... correct? Does not a fully functioning brain/body claim to have a reason to believe it exists? I certainly do.

housby;120594 wrote:
An innate ability to keep alive is not awareness, it is simply a survival instinct that does not have anything to do with awareness,knowledge or any other kind of rational thought.

I'm glad you used the word "ability" rather than "desire". Solar flares display "ability", yet they express no "desire". It takes a fully functioning brain to express desire. Even a "brain in a vat"Brain in a vat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia can do that. I wonder how it does that?:whistling:

housby;120594 wrote:
...obsessed with knowledge...that I am because I really do believe that that is all we have.

Is this off the cuff...? Or do you really propose that "knowledge... is all we have"?

housby;120594 wrote:
Call it knowledge, experience, perception or the ability to measure...

What provides that "ability"? Is "ability" to measure the same as a "desire" to measure? If a brain can provide automated abilities, can it also provide automated desire? Does desire require something more than a physical brain to make it manifest?

housby;120594 wrote:
I think that anything outside of experience is, at the very least, open to speculation.

Do our speculations change or affect "anything outside of experience"? Or does speculation change things inside the experience? Can speculation change the thing that is being experienced, or does speculation change our perceptions of the thing, whilst leaving the thing itself untouched?

housby;120594 wrote:
If sub-atomic particles are "not there" (quantum physicists view not mine) then how can we be?

By being something other than sub-atomic particles.
"I think therefor I am"

housby;120594 wrote:
Remember, I am not taking a stance on this, I am simply stating that we have every reason to doubt.

Excellent. With doubt come questions. We could all ask more questions. I have one... Can we handle the answers? Can we handle the answers as they are in the naked light of ugly truth, or must we bend and mold those answers to fit nicely within our own egotistical predilections? We are human after all...

housby;120594 wrote:
some kind of knowledge that we mere mortals do not have.

Hey! It worked for Moses...:devilish:

housby;120594 wrote:
Consider this: there is no... no... no... then all we are left with is that which we absolutely know.

What is the mechanism that allows us to "know"? Beyond fear, sans greed, without emotion to cloud reality as we "know" it... what is the mechanism that makes "knowing" possible?

housby;120594 wrote:
How then do we know we exist?

Who shall I say is asking?

housby;120594 wrote:
...the brain, which is the source of all knowledge.

The brain is the source? I thought it was the recipient.

housby;120594 wrote:
Empirical knowledge provides no proof of existence, it simply suggests that that is the case.

If there can be no empirical proof, may we still claim logical empirical inference?

---------- Post added 01-17-2010 at 12:11 AM ----------

Jackofalltrades;120615 wrote:
Matter has its own mind.

Therefor supporting the mysticism of ancient myth and folklore with tales of whispering streams, talking trees, and burning bushes that give instructions to birth a violent nation.

Jackofalltrades phil

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 12:22 am
@prothero,
Q

Quote:

Therefor supporting the mysticism of ancient myth and folklore with tales of whispering streams, talking trees, and burning bushes that give instructions to birth a violent nation.

'Therefore', as a concept, should be used very diligently. But what you have now suggested may perhaps is also being suggested by Quantum Physicists, as a way of advertisements. But since it is not logical, i reject any such notions.

QuinticNon

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 01:05 am
@Jackofalltrades phil,
Jackofalltrades;120618 wrote:
But what you have now suggested may perhaps is also being suggested by Quantum Physicists, as a way of advertisements.

Perhaps. I hadn't thought of the "advertisements" but I wouldn't doubt it for a second. It's a problem far beyond QPhysics. It is permeating every science from botany to astronomy. Many in the sciences are having a great deal of difficulty distinguishing the differences between matter, energy, and information. Some seeing it all as one, giving no regard to established protocols set forth in Information Theory, Communication Theory, or Linguistics in general. They don't see how all sciences are applicable to all other sciences. They insist that their own sciences protocols be used to define another science. They do not respect the established protocols of any other science but their very own. They think Math is an entity unto itself. It is their God. As vicious a God as the God of Evolution. There are many Gods in the Church of Science. Those are the false gods who trick men into believing that Matter has a Mind of its own.

But there are also numerous scientists who do see the connections. They openly exchange their disciplines with others and benefit greatly from adopting what is brought to them by other disciplines. They understand that Chemistry is not Information Science, but that by seeing how they work together can profit Biology and Genetics a great deal. We should be wise to the wisdom of others.

Jackofalltrades phil

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 04:10 am
@QuinticNon,
QuinticNon;120621 wrote:
We should be wise to the wisdom of others.

Interdisciplinary study of sciences started in the last quarter of the last century. It is gaining momentum.

housby

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 06:43 pm
@Jackofalltrades phil,
You have both raised many questions and, due to lack of time at the moment, I will have to take a little while to reply (too many questions and so little time, eh?). However I will be back on this. Suffice to say you both have valid arguments and, of course, who is to say you are wrong? All I can say at the moment to QuinticNon is that you rightly point out that the brain is not the source it is the recipient. My wording was wrong because what I meant was it is the store of knowledge and as such is our only source because, until it receives data and processes it we do not have that knowledge. Therefore it is our source. Am I making sense (perhaps you shouldn't answer that). The other point you make was that the brain also functions mechanically to keep the body alive. I was actually taking this as read but, as you bring it up, I totally agree.

prothero

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 10:20 pm
@prothero,
I dont think Newton experienced the formula for gravity, or Einstein the equations of general relativity, I dont think Planck experienced the quanta and I do not think anyone experienced imaginary numbers. I do not deny that experience raises questions but the answers come from intuition, reason and imagination not from sense perception. Some types of theories we can empirically test and so they are truth by correspondence, other types of theories can not be tested and are only truth by coherence or consistency. Sense perception (experience) is found throughout nature but the rational and imaginative power of man is unique and the source of most of our "knowledge".

The point particle theory of matter and the fixed independent theory of space time are not true at the extremes of the small or the very large. They are at best conceptual approximations to the "truth" about "matter".
We are so proud of what our science and technology have done for us we have forgotten the humility about the limited, partial and incomplete "knowledge" of reality the method of science gives us. The people who actually made these discoveries had much much humility about their meaning and their interpretation.

QuinticNon

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 11:44 pm
@housby,
housby;120719 wrote:
Am I making sense...

Yes you are making sense. A truer truth cannot be spoken.

Get it?

"Sense" is made. It is not found floating around in the cosmos... Sense is made.

In the "sense" that you use the word, it is synonymous with "knowledge".

You could have asked... "Am I making knowledge"?

When two humans understand the thoughts from the mind of another, what is the physical mechanism that allows them to do so? Here's a clue... You're looking at it right now. What is this mechanism you are looking at? What allows the thoughts of one person to be shared by another?

Answering this question will tell you if the "senseless" child is thinking or not thinking. This mechanism is the physical proof of an immaterial realm beyond energy and matter. Then we can talk about the original discussion prompt... that being:

What is "matter" in the quantum age?

What is the physical mechanism that allows thoughts to be shared?

---------- Post added 01-18-2010 at 12:28 AM ----------

prothero;120738 wrote:
I dont think Newton experienced the formula for gravity, or Einstein the equations of general relativity, I dont think Planck experienced the quanta and I do not think anyone experienced imaginary numbers.

What did I miss? Have I lost track of recent discussion? Are you simply pondering out loud? I prefer the latter.

When, as you say, those great men did not "experience", are you suggesting that the essence of their descriptions did not exist prior for them to describe?

I find it interesting that you associated these men with, "formula", "equations", "quanta" and "numbers"... All descriptive tools of language. As such, why would they describe something they had never experienced?

prothero;120738 wrote:
I do not deny that experience raises questions but the answers come from intuition, reason and imagination not from sense perception.

How does experience "raise" anything? Much less raise questions... Can experience author questions? Am I incorrect to suppose that mind authors questions? Am I mistaken in believing that mind authors questions about the experience, but the experience doesn't author anything? Am I wrong in believing that? How could an experience author?

As well, what is the organ that controls "intuition, reason and imagination"? Are they physical objects that we can hold? Yet we know they exist... don't we? What is the mechanism that demonstrates their existence?

We both know how to demonstrate the physical existence of "sense perception". We can both describe the mechanism because it has been empirically demonstrated in the physical world. Sense perception is easy, it's just electrochemical reactions induced by external stimuli.

But what about the mind stuff? Where does the mind stuff reside? Where is the mind?

prothero;120738 wrote:
Sense perception (experience) is found throughout nature but the rational and imaginative power of man is unique and the source of most of our "knowledge".

You seem to equate "sense perception" as synonymous with "experience". Why?

A tree has sensory perception equipment. But how could it experience without a brain? Perhaps it doesn't have a brain but it does have a mind (ugly speculation I assure you)... but if it did have a mind, how could we verify it existed and was capable of experience?

And I really must ask... is the "imaginative power of man" really "the source of most of our knowledge"? Are you sure it wasn't the "observation/description" power of man that accounts for most of our knowledge? I always thought the "imaginative power of man" is what started religions, myth, legend and folklore.

prothero;120738 wrote:
The point particle theory of matter and the fixed independent theory of space time are not true at the extremes of the small or the very large.

Imagine that!

prothero;120738 wrote:
They are at best conceptual approximations to the "truth" about "matter".

What do you mean by the "truth" about "matter"? Do you mean, the reality of matter? Are truth and reality synonymous in this context?

prothero;120738 wrote:
The people who actually made these discoveries had much much humility about their meaning and their interpretation.

Yeah, some had to take their research underground for decades because the establishment was too threatened by the implications. Funny how they award them the Nobel Prize later on.

Alan McDougall

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2010 12:37 am
@prothero,
As science gets closer and closer to the ultimate God Particle in the Large Hadron Collider , it is hoped to go smaller than the quantum world and open doorways into the super-string theory and hopefully reach what is called "quantum foam" which is neither matter of energy but the very fundamental source that what drives our very reality on the micro scale.

If this foam, which is neither matter or energy, is found Large hadron(proton) collider) it would be a further step toward the Theory Of Everything. A teaspoon of this quantum quantum stuff could hold enough primordial energy to boil the oceans

If the TOE is ever reached would it be the end God because the reason for everything is found??

---------- Post added 01-18-2010 at 08:43 AM ----------

xris;111305 wrote:
Im sure when we get to the real truth , it will be quite simple. Its strange but my imagination tries to simplify the QM world. Music has the ability to design shapes and compose images. I can imagine pure energy vibrating at different frequencies making patterns that describe the physical world. The elements are different instruments playing their songs to give us this symphony of life.

Hey XRIS in the last few posts of yours throughout the forum you have become very poetic, great job!!Smile

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.34 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 03:55:50