What is "matter" in the quantum age?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Amperage

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 09:07 pm
@prothero,
prothero;111669 wrote:
The method of science has been a smashing success in advancing our understanding of and control over the material aspects of reality. The first problem comes I think in the assertion that the "material" is all there is to "reality". (materialism). The second problem comes in asserting that science is our only tool and will solve all the problems of human experience and existence (including aesthetics and values) (scientism). The third problem comes in adopting a mechanistic, deterministic, reductionist view of total reality and human experience (determinism). I think all three of these philosophical assumptions or speculations can be successfully challenged.

Science and reason alone are not well equipped to address the aesthetic and values problems of human experience and existence. Values and aesthetic problems are those of most significance in the realm of human experience. Modern culture has lost it telos (sense of purpose) and abandoned its mythos (those shared stories and myths which impart values and meaning) and relied totally on logos (reason). The world is out of balance.

I tend to view the universe as perceptive, "alive", enchanted and creative. It delights me to no end to see that in modern physics one can possibly hold these views without being in direct conflict with science and observation.

From John Donne, An Anatomy of the World. excerpts

'Tis all in pieces, all coherence gone,
All just supply, and all relation;
Prince, subject, father, son, are things forgot,
For every man alone thinks he hath got
To be a phoenix, and that then can be
None of that kind, of which he is, but he.

For there's a kind of world remaining still,
Though she which did inanimate and fill
The world, be gone, yet in this last long night,

Her ghost doth walk; that is a glimmering light,
A faint weak love of virtue, and of good,
Reflects from her on them which understood
Her worth; and though she have shut in all day,
The twilight of her memory doth stay,

And new philosophy calls
all in doubt,
The element of fire is quite put out,
The sun is lost, and th'earth, and no man's wit
Can well direct him where to look for it.

This thread of course, is meant to challenge materialism but can as easily be seen as a challenge to scientism and to determinism. A new trinity of sorts.

agree agree agree. it's crazy to see someone else say something so similar to what I think as well, especially considering the nature of what is being talked about, and the fact that this is probably a minority viewpoint

jeeprs

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 10:12 pm
@housby,
housby;118720 wrote:
The really scary thing about all this is the fact that, if all the basic constituents of matter only exist when they are observed, and all matter is made up of these basic constituents, as must be accepted, then does it follow that my wife and kids only exist when I am with them? It kind of makes the world (whatever that is) a very lonely place. This has caused me the odd sleepless night over the years. Perhaps we were never meant to look so deeply into what makes it all work. We may not like what we find.

I wouldn't leap to any conclusions in this matter. It is, as you say, very deep. But here's few ways that I have found to think about it. I don't think you can infer from these ideas that if something is not being perceived, it does not exist. What I am starting to think is that it means that the manner in which things exists is partially a function of the way in which they are perceived. This shows up especially in observation of subatomic particles.

But I am also a realist. I don't think the world doesn't exist when you're asleep, or anything like that. It just means the observer is an intrinsic aspect of reality, and this idea that the world goes on totally objectively and completely irrespective of us is not true.

---------- Post added 01-09-2010 at 03:15 PM ----------

Have a look at http://www.philosophyforum.com/philosophy-forums/secondary-branches-philosophy/philosophy-science/4611-mystical-copenhagen-interpretation.html

Amperage

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 10:20 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;118731 wrote:
I wouldn't leap to any conclusions in this matter. It is, as you say, very deep. But here's few ways that I have found to think about it. I don't think you can infer from these ideas that if something is not being perceived, it does not exist. What I am starting to think is that it means that the manner in which it exists is also part of the function of the way in which they are perceived. This shows up especially in observation of subatomic particles.

But I am also a realist. I don't think the world doesn't exist when you're asleep, or anything like that. It just means the observer is an intrinsic aspect of reality, and this idea that the world goes on totally objectively and completely irrespective of us is not true.

---------- Post added 01-09-2010 at 03:15 PM ----------

Have a look at http://www.philosophyforum.com/philosophy-forums/secondary-branches-philosophy/philosophy-science/4611-mystical-copenhagen-interpretation.html
that's an interesting point. If you consider the fact that by simply trying to observe particles you are changing them and extrapolate that out to observing the world around us, by the simple fact of being an observer we are changing the world around us from what it would be if we were not observing it. But I suppose that makes sense because if I'm standing in a position people cannot walk through me they are forced to walk around me

jeeprs

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 11:38 pm
@prothero,
But don't confuse the quantum-level effect with anything in the macro world. The reason why people have to walk around you has nothing to do with the observer effect, as far as I understand it.

prothero

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 01:16 am
@prothero,
Well, matter is not composed of inert point particles
and
Space time is not continuous fixed or independent of "matter".
So the classical mechanical deterministic conception of Newtonian physics is not a viable concept, so what conception of matter and space time do we have left?

Amperage

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 01:27 am
@prothero,
prothero;118758 wrote:
and
So the classical mechanical deterministic conception of Newtonian physics is not a viable concept, so what conception of matter and space time do we have left?
Mathematical universe hypothesis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Tegmark's sole postulate is: All structures that exist mathematically also exist physically. This is in the sense that "in those complex enough to contain self-aware substructures (SASs), these SASs will subjectively perceive themselves as existing in a physically 'real' world".
quite peculiar

jeeprs

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 02:31 am
@prothero,
prothero;118758 wrote:
and

It will certainly always be viable anywhere in the cosmos, for entities not the size of sub-atomic particles, and velocities not approaching the speed of light. So it is prefectly viable within its frame of reference. Although i agree that the fact that it is no longer understood to be effective beyond that is philosophically significant.

I read about Tegmark in New Scientist. I could never get my head around it unfortunately. I am sure he is a Pythagorean of some species, though.

I reckon a better place to start is the Tao of Physics by Frithjof Capra.

prothero

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 11:04 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;118768 wrote:
It will certainly always be viable anywhere in the cosmos, for entities not the size of sub-atomic particles, and velocities not approaching the speed of light. So it is prefectly viable within its frame of reference. Although i agree that the fact that it is no longer understood to be effective beyond that is philosophically significant..
I dont think it is viable in the real of mind, subjectivity or interiority either and those are not sub atomic or speed of light. So the real world viability is somewhat more limited to the material or objective properties of "things" but certainly its limitations in the realm of high velocities and small particles is significant in trying to create a philosophical picture of ultimate reality.

There is something wrong with the theory of general relativity as well since at extremes the equations yeild infinite results. My quess is that the point particle and continous space time assumptions in relativity are approximations or averages and a quantum form of gravity and space time is needed but such things are way beyond my understanding.

housby

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 08:00 pm
@prothero,
I suppose that even if at the sub-atomic level we can change things (even by simply observing them) they must exist independently of us. This must obviously give existence to that which is exterior to us. It seems logical to assume existence to that which can be altered by us but is not part of us. Or am I missing something?

jeeprs

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2010 12:07 am
@prothero,
The implications of quantum physics are very strange. Richard Feynmann, who probably knew as much as anyone about it, said "I think I can safely say that nobody understands quantum mechanics." (from wikiquotes).

But even with my very limited grasp of the issues, I think the words 'independently' and 'exterior' are problematical in this area. What physicists appear to do on the quantum level is read dials on instruments, which provide certain measurements. It is the nature of what is being measured that is the difficulty. In the pre-atomic age, the physicist would have said 'we are measuring the mass and velocity of a particle'. But then Heisenberg showed that you couldn't measure both atttibutes of an electron at the same time. This was the famous 'Heinsenberg uncertainty principle'. So the question came up, is this entity really a particle, or a wave? I think the answer is that in some experiments, it appears as a particle, and in others, as a wave. Now to us a wave and a particle aren't even the same kind of thing. I am inclined to think that the electron is neither, but those are the kinds of conceptual formats that we make use of to imagine it. But don't take it from me, I am a complete amatuer in this field. There's a couple of contributors who work in this area, hopefully they will enlighten us further.

housby

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2010 07:57 pm
@jeeprs,
Jeepers,
We think alike. I have a morbid facination with quantum physics but admit to not understanding 99% of it. The uncertainty principle applies to me as well I think. I am uncertain of what I actually know with regard to reality.

jeeprs

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2010 08:10 pm
@prothero,
I don't think it is at all morbid at all. It is a fascinating area of study. That feeling of uncertainty is actually a very precious quality. Many people go to sleep inside their sense of normality. Cultivate it carefully, and it can open many doors.

Aemun

Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2010 04:08 am
@prothero,
The interconnectivity of the universe has become a stumbling block of western scientific thinking since the dawn of the einsteinian age (if that is an age). Funnily enough the interconnectivity of the universe is a fundamental principle of eastern philosophy. Fritjof Capra does an excellent job of bringing the two ways of thinking together in his masterpiece 'Tao of the Physics' and showing the many areas of science that are now having to incorporate a holistic approach in 'Turning Point'. James Lovelock's idea of the world as a holistic ecosystem or 'Gaia' is particularly relevant today with global heating.

I believe one must assume that the universe is completely interconnected and any boundaries that we set are mere illusions. Unfortunately this is the only way language and thus communication can work. Even every one of our concepts is intertwined with all other knowledge we have. There is no simple idea of a 'tree' in our minds, it is simply a set of expected relationships to everything else in our minds.

As for matter, if we apply this way of thinking we would suggest that a particle must be a way that space-time interacts with itself. Waveforms are no doubt a major part of the mathematics but should not be confused as being a 'thing'. Electron entanglement is a facinating area that raises many questions.

One contraversial viewpoint that I cannot help but dwell on with such matters is idealism. Not the form shown by Berkeley but one that involves the minds of every observer in an interconnected whole.

jeeprs

Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2010 04:18 am
@prothero,
Check out "Cosmic Consciousness" by Richard Maurice Bucke. Published in 1901 and still well ahead of its time.

housby

Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2010 07:10 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;119076 wrote:
I don't think it is at all morbid at all. It is a fascinating area of study. That feeling of uncertainty is actually a very precious quality. Many people go to sleep inside their sense of normality. Cultivate it carefully, and it can open many doors.

When I was very young I used to try to imagine where space ended and it caused me concern. Little did I know that years on I would still be feeling the same kind of thing. The "morbid" side of it comes from thinking a little too much. I have learned to control this kind of thought as, unless it is controlled, it can lead to obsession and that is almost always a bad thing. Strangely enough my interest in quantum physics was aroused 30-odd years ago after reading a relatively small passage in Pirsigs Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintainance. It was to do with the idea of living in a "real" world of solid matter that appears to be made of particles that are not. Old ground but that's where it all started for me. It was initially quite scary.

Jackofalltrades phil

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 04:16 am
@housby,
xris;111465 wrote:
Mass is the visible incarnation of energy , if you look to closely the energy becomes invisible. It seems we can invent our own theories from our imagination and the imagined becomes valid. It appears to me very much like a game where reality is just our point of contact with an ethereal world, where dreams can come true. The more we look the more it changes, till we eventually realise its all an elaborate illusion.

prothero;111669 wrote:
The method of science has been a smashing success in advancing our understanding of and control over the material aspects of reality. The first problem comes I think in the assertion that the "material" is all there is to "reality". (materialism). The second problem comes in asserting that science is our only tool and will solve all the problems of human experience and existence (including aesthetics and values) (scientism). The third problem comes in adopting a mechanistic, deterministic, reductionist view of total reality and human experience (determinism). I think all three of these philosophical assumptions or speculations can be successfully challenged.

Aemun;119131 wrote:
The interconnectivity of the universe has become a stumbling block of western scientific thinking since the dawn of the einsteinian age (if that is an age). Funnily enough the interconnectivity of the universe is a fundamental principle of eastern philosophy. Fritjof Capra does an excellent job of bringing the two ways of thinking together in his masterpiece 'Tao of the Physics' and showing the many areas of science that are now having to incorporate a holistic approach in 'Turning Point'. James Lovelock's idea of the world as a holistic ecosystem or 'Gaia' is particularly relevant today with global heating.

I believe one must assume that the universe is completely interconnected and any boundaries that we set are mere illusions.
. Electron entanglement is a facinating area that raises many questions.

Let me go for a ride with you all.

xris...... your first sentence is very profound. The mass-energy relationship is now established, it took an Einstein to equate the two. einstein was also instrumental to propound the dual nature of light. He said 'light has a dual character of wave (and also as particle).

Thereafter, it was De Broglie who proposed that matter also has a dual character. Therefore, electrons also should have a dual character.

So, if electron are a kind of wave, than what Aemun, here above expressed becomes a fascination, but also becomes explanable, when at all 'electron entanglement', as introduced, is to be seen as a problem.

prothero........ you mentioned, the three problems can be challenged, you say. How to you intent or propose to challenge that? I am keen to know.

-------------
now on Matter, here's my flight of imagination. Matter is known to us by our sense's. I find it logical to consider that humans could not have realised the energy in matter, although inductively and intuitively there are examples in the Indian scriptures which alluded to these theories, until it was suggetsed that some materials emitted radiation energy. In the west, empiricism took roots after Hume, asserted deductive methods to be more valid and stronger in arguments for science. Here we meet Planck who discovered or theorised that 'radiant energy is emitted or absorbed by bundles of energy called quanta'. So, the relation was getting evident theory after theory in physics.

These theories came after the discovery of phenomena such as electricity, electro magnetism, light energy, electro static energy (earlier termed as force) etc. So lets leave physics aside for a while.

Lets take chemistry, where the principle of diffusion is a very important factor in chemical and synthetic bonding between materials. Take very simple and accessible examples we have at our house itself.

When we prepare tea, does not the incredients like sugar, water, and tea leaves dissolve and mix together to give the lucky drinker to have both taste, colour and aroma that appeals to his senses/mind. If the particle of matter like sugar, water and tea leaves does not interact than how would one be able to say that 'tea is an enjoyable or staple beverage in my culture. So also there are many exmples in our culinary culture from where we can draw the conclusions that matter is a form, in its basic core evry matter is dissolvable, heatable, meltable, and some may evaporate.

Since we need not go into the why of energy connection, it could be said that 'matter' is a form of energy detectable to our senses. Therfore, matter is a bundle of quanta, in particle/wave or string form. We dont know, at least I dont know.

In Bhagwat Gita, i think there is a phrase, that says that all that we see are perceptible things carried to and by our senses. All perceptible things are changable.

housby

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 07:24 am
@Jackofalltrades phil,
The thing that concerns me slightly is if all matter is made of the same sub-atomic particles that do not pass any test of existence that we know, how can we possibly know the world is real (or even us)? We can use all the logical arguments in the world but even logical argument is sense perception, whether it is read, heard or spoken and as such is itself open to doubt. Following this "logically" it seems that any "proof" of existence can only be assumed. The only thing we can really hold on to is Descarte's statement of,"I think, therefore I am". The brilliant simplicity of the assumption that whatever we may doubt there has to be a doubter never fails to impress and, at times, reassure me. I actually believe the world exists because of continuity but, as in all things, I could be wrong.

Jackofalltrades phil

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 11:59 am
@housby,
housby;119336 wrote:
The thing that concerns me slightly is if all matter is made of the same sub-atomic particles that do not pass any test of existence that we know, how can we possibly know the world is real (or even us)? We can use all the logical arguments in the world but even logical argument is sense perception, whether it is read, heard or spoken and as such is itself open to doubt. Following this "logically" it seems that any "proof" of existence can only be assumed. The only thing we can really hold on to is Descarte's statement of,"I think, therefore I am". The brilliant simplicity of the assumption that whatever we may doubt there has to be a doubter never fails to impress and, at times, reassure me. I actually believe the world exists because of continuity but, as in all things, I could be wrong.

Continuity of what?!

isn't the answer obvious that continuity is of matter. matter is energy, and the 'conservation of energy' principle cannot allow non-existence.
this will also be the 'proof' of existence, you were referring to (of course, with the handicap of not knowing the meaning of 'existence', in this instance).

Your alluding to 'continuity' is corroborated and proved by the conservation principle. Though, however, ancient philosophers did ponder on this aspect of matter, especially its changing form as perceived by the Mind.

Metaphysical speculation cannot be merely a flight of fantasy. There has to be a logic even in speculation. and perhaps your premises reveal an history of ideas and thoughts which were born out of the necessity to know more about the fundamental nature of matter.

Which brings us to an very interesting point of human knowledge, where in very crucial question of whether there is a single substance underlying all atomic or sub-atomic particles.

One of the most important principle's that the alchemist of good ol days worked on was based on such a fantastic assumption. this kind of work is open to doubt. Now, that doubt does not make it any necessary for doubting existence of matter. The test of Matter is in perception itself, have no doubt on that count. The only matter to the Mind would be of its form. In what form we perceive matter, and what is its basic form is the only doubt a right thinking person should harbour.

If still a doubt exists, than my advice would be to prepare a pudding and than eat it without inviting anyone else. Matter will disclose itself to you and your stomach. And perhaps later matter will also see itslef in a pot or on earth.

If pudding is real, the world is real too.

Now, the only doubt, thanks to your observation, i have right now is what is Real or Reality.

Its a mind game, NO DOUBT!

housby

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 06:48 pm
@Jackofalltrades phil,
I, like many others have thought about the nature of reality a great deal. I have to say that I would agree with most of what you say. I have stated my belief in the existence of matter and the world in general. The doubt, such as it is, comes from the scientific proof, or lack of it. We are dealing very much with the abstract here and the only problem is when you come down to proving that matter exists without having to use what we believe it to be it to prove it it all gets a bit hazy. What we are trying to prove is that something exists because it exists. There is existence because I perceive it, as Decartes said, and because there is continuity of matter, movement, growth and decay. We cannot "think" ourselves out of existence!! The doubt only comes when we try to get hold of anything not based in matter to prove it's existence and the fact that the building blocks of all matter seem so transcient that they virtually have no existence as we understand it.
Maybe the Higgs Boson has the answer?

Jackofalltrades phil

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 11:17 pm
@prothero,
Quote:
We cannot "think" ourselves out of existence!! The doubt only comes when we try to get hold of anything not based in matter to prove it's existence and the fact that the building blocks of all matter seem so transcient that they virtually have no existence as we understand it.

Thats what the string theorists are trying to prove. The premise is to prove that the building blocks itslef are transcient and impreciptable.

When we say 'they virtually have no existence as we understand it' - it is frankly a neither here nor there remark. The fact is whether we perceive matter or not, existence of matter doesnot rely on human perception, experiments and theories. If there is a cause, there is matter, no matter if Descartes existed or not.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 09:05:08