What does it mean to say that X exists, or does not exist?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

TickTockMan

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 12:20 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;100342 wrote:
It looks tautological to me. What does "exist" mean (once again)? Telling me that you are confident that something exists doesn't tell me what you are confident about-except that something exists. So we are back at square 1.

Hmmm. Okay, I'm not looking for an answer key at the back of the book here, but I need some sort of base to work from, so I need to ask this:

Is what I need to be able to do then, is define the term "exist" while simultaneously analyzing the meaning of the proposition that contains it? Is that about right?

kennethamy

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 01:30 pm
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan;100345 wrote:
Hmmm. Okay, I'm not looking for an answer key at the back of the book here, but I need some sort of base to work from, so I need to ask this:

Is what I need to be able to do then, is define the term "exist" while simultaneously analyzing the meaning of the proposition that contains it? Is that about right?

I think that one way of defining the term, "exist" is to define it in the context of using it in a proposition. For example, "God exists" = There is someone who is omnipotent, omniscient, all-good, all-just, etc.
That is, God exist just in case there is someone with the properties associated with God. And the same would be true of the proposition that unicorns exist: namely, there is something with the properties associated with unicorns.

TickTockMan

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 03:29 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;100370 wrote:
I think that one way of defining the term, "exist" is to define it in the context of using it in a proposition. For example, "God exists" = There is someone who is omnipotent, omniscient, all-good, all-just, etc.
That is, God exist just in case there is someone with the properties associated with God. And the same would be true of the proposition that unicorns exist: namely, there is something with the properties associated with unicorns.

Okay. So would it be correct to say then that the meaning of the proposition is also the definition, by default, of the term?

That is, if one ask me, "what does it mean to say X exists," I could respond, "It means there is something with all the properties associated with X." Is that correct?

On the other hand, if one were to ask me, "what does it mean to say that X does not exist," I could correctly answer, "There is not something with the properties of X." This, to me would seem to circumvent the problems associated with trying to talk about something that does not exist, as we would only be talking about properties (alleged or otherwise).

In this discussion, trying to define what it means "to exist" became a bit of a red herring, hence your earlier remark about philosophizing about existence.

Am I getting closer?

Or have I wandered afield?

TTM

kennethamy

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 03:51 pm
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan;100390 wrote:
Okay. So would it be correct to say then that the meaning of the proposition is also the definition, by default, of the term?

That is, if one ask me, "what does it mean to say X exists," I could respond, "It means there is something with all the properties associated with X." Is that correct?

On the other hand, if one were to ask me, "what does it mean to say that X does not exist," I could correctly answer, "There is not something with the properties of X." This, to me would seem to circumvent the problems associated with trying to talk about something that does not exist, as would would only be talking about properties (alleged or otherwise).

In this discussion, trying to define what it means "to exist" became a bit of a red herring, hence your earlier remark about philosophizing about existence.

Am I getting closer?

Or have I wandered afield?

TTM

What do you mean by, "in this discussion, trying to define what it means "to exist" became a bit of a red herring, hence your earlier remark about philosophizing about existence"?

TickTockMan

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 04:10 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;100394 wrote:
What do you mean by, "in this discussion, trying to define what it means "to exist" became a bit of a red herring, hence your earlier remark about philosophizing about existence"?

I was referring back to this comment (boldface mine):

kennethamy;100218 wrote:
I am glad you think so. Here we are philosophizing about existence. What could be more philosophical? That we exist is not in question. What is at issue is what is meant by saying that X exists (or does not exist).

Perhaps the term "red herring" is incorrect, as that would mean that you were purposely trying to be deceptive, which I do not believe.

I meant that, at least in my case, I think I became overly focused on philosophizing about existing, as opposed to analyzing the statement "X exists." Or, perhaps, that I was overcomplicating things again.

TTM

Arjuna

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 05:09 pm
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan;100390 wrote:
On the other hand, if one were to ask me, "what does it mean to say that X does not exist," I could correctly answer, "There is not something with the properties of X." This, to me would seem to circumvent the problems associated with trying to talk about something that does not exist, as would would only be talking about properties (alleged or otherwise).

I like that. So a thing is defined by its properties?

kennethamy

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 05:53 pm
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan;100400 wrote:
I was referring back to this comment (boldface mine):

Perhaps the term "red herring" is incorrect, as that would mean that you were purposely trying to be deceptive, which I do not believe.

I meant that, at least in my case, I think I became overly focused on philosophizing about existing, as opposed to analyzing the statement "X exists." Or, perhaps, that I was overcomplicating things again.

TTM

I don't know what is supposed to be the difference

---------- Post added 10-28-2009 at 08:06 PM ----------

Zetherin;100332 wrote:
No, you said "unicorn" fails to refer and you said "extraterrestrial" fails to refer as far as we know. You made the distinction here:

I don't know what any of this nil-X stuff is.

I see. So, all common nouns are referential terms? And I specify common nouns, because some proper nouns don't refer to anything, do they? "Chair" refers to the object we call a chair, but what does "Joe" refer to? "Joe" doesn't refer to anything on it's own - it needs context. "Quito" does refer to a city, though. Quito does not need context, neither does chair. They both refer to things on their own. Didn't Wittgenstein argue some names (like Joe) weren't even a part of language (I may have him confused with someone else)?

It's not that "The present king of France is bald" is neither true or false. On the contrary, it is technically false. But, I would label it nonsense, and not false. If I just labeled it false, it would bring confusion, at least for me, because it does not attempt to describe any feature of the world. It's fantastical.

Arguments can be valid and still be full of nonsense. This is an example of such a thing, as premise #2 is nonsense.

"However, against the Russellian theory itself Strawson made the important point that the theory implies that a sentence of the form 'The F is G' must count as false when used in circumstances where there is no F. It must do so because, according to theory, part of the role of 'The F' is to say that there is an F. Contrary to this, Strawson claims that we would not always regard a saying of 'The F is G' as false in such circumstances. We would not react by saying 'That is false' but would rather say something like 'What do you mean?' or 'You must be under a misapprehension'. He suggested that in such circumstances the use amounts neither to saying something is true nor to saying something false."

Yes, you are correct. This is also my stance.

Yes, I did seem to make a distinction. But I did not mean to do so. We know that there are no unicorns. We don't know, so far that there are not ETs.

Nil-X just means impossibly unlikely. Absolutely no reason to believe it, and all the reason in the world to disbelieve it.

It depend on which Joe you mean, of course. We talk about Joe in context. "Joe" is a proper noun which typically denotes a male person.

I don't know what "technically false" means. False is false. And, what is false cannot be nonsense, unless by "nonsense" you mean, "extremely false" like, The Moon is made of oatmeal.

About arguments: The point is that for an argument to be valid, the conclusion cannot be false when the premises are true. So to say to an argument that it is valid is to suppose that the premises are true. And, if the premises are true, they cannot be nonsense.

Zetherin

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 07:52 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
So to say to an argument that it is valid is to suppose that the premises are true. And, if the premises are true, they cannot be nonsense.

I did not know this. I thought for an argument to be valid, it simply had to logically follow. I did know not know that truth had anything to do with validity. I thought that's what the quality of soundness had to do with arguments. If a premise is sound, that means the premise is true.

Even wikipedia backs me up:

"The validity of an argument depends, however, not on the actual truth or falsity of its premises and conclusions, but solely on whether or not the argument has a valid logical form"

Or by "suppose" did you mean that that is what I should think, not what a valid argument implies? Why would I suppose the premises are true? I would not. I would evaluate the premises for their soundness and not suppose anything initially. That would be too presumptuous.

Quote:
Nil-X just means impossibly unlikely. Absolutely no reason to believe it, and all the reason in the world to disbelieve it.

Is this some sort of official scale? I've never heard of this. Who is evaluating what "impossibly unlikely" is, or what "nil-1" or "nil-1/2" mean?

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 09:51 pm
@kennethamy,
Existence itself is ABSOLUTE it REFERS to EVERYTHING !!!
By the contrary Objects or Entities have a RELATIVE existence...
they must relatively relate in order to be...
Same is to say Everything EXISTS...now, what we have to do is to stablish the relative terms in witch it/something exits (CONCEPTUALIZE)...
...and the HARD FACT is they are all relative...
...:brickwall::brickwall::brickwall:...

...Mermaids exist, but not in the same way I experience anyone around me...
...They are abstract entities...just like numbers for instance...

...the funny thing is that they are, in every meaningful aspect, very similar to everything else...
-they were at some point brought up...created...
-they also developed and evolved in Social imaginarium from generation to generation...
-they replicate in different cultures Cosmogonies...
-they operate in tails and stories in a adequate way...
( i could go on all night long, but i have made my point...)

...so what the hell does it mean that they are not real ???
...I really wonder, what actually intelligent people will think of this Thread around the World, who happen to trump on this nonsense...
...is it the permanent obsession with OBJECTIFICATION in West ?

Regards>FILIPE DE ALBUQUERQUE

kennethamy

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 12:41 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;100420 wrote:
I did not know this. I thought for an argument to be valid, it simply had to logically follow. I did know not know that truth had anything to do with validity. I thought that's what the quality of soundness had to do with arguments. If a premise is sound, that means the premise is true.

Even wikipedia backs me up:

"The validity of an argument depends, however, not on the actual truth or falsity of its premises and conclusions, but solely on whether or not the argument has a valid logical form"

Or by "suppose" did you mean that that is what I should think, not what a valid argument implies? Why would I suppose the premises are true? I would not. I would evaluate the premises for their soundness and not suppose anything initially. That would be too presumptuous.

Is this some sort of official scale? I've never heard of this. Who is evaluating what "impossibly unlikely" is, or what "nil-1" or "nil-1/2" mean?

A valid argument is defined as an argument in which it is impossible for the premises to be true, and for the conclusion to be false. Wiki is right. The actual truth or falsity of the statements composing the argument does not matter. For instance, the argument:

All fish are mammals
All reptiles are fish
Therefore, all reptiles are mammals

is a valid argument, even though both premises and conclusion are false. The criterion of validity is satisfied, though. If the premises were true (which they are not) then the conclusion would be true (which is isn't). The argument is valid, but it is not sound, since it has false premises. All sound arguments are valid, but it is not true that all valid arguments are sound.

Doesn't it seem to you much less likely that Norway will invade New Zealand, than that France will invade Italy? Although both are very unlikely.

TickTockMan

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 12:43 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;100407 wrote:
I don't know what is supposed to be the difference

The difference, as I saw it, was that I was becoming sidetracked from the original issue of what is meant by saying that X exists (or does not exist) by pursuing the question of whether or not we exist as opposed to analyzing what we mean when we say that we (or X) exist.

I suppose this could be stated as," kennethamy and TickTockman exist" (which would be analyzed to mean, "there are two individuals with the properties associated with kennethamy and TickTockMan").

In the end though, I suppose there really isn't a difference, as once we understand what is meant by saying that we (or X) exist, the conclusion that we exist which, as you pointed out, was not in question seems to become self-evident.

At least that's the way it seems to me at this point. I'm still wondering how far off I was with my comments in post #63 prior to my ill-advised "red herring" remark, or if I'm just painting myself farther into a corner . . .

Tick "What else did I leave on the coatrack" TockMan

kennethamy

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 12:49 am
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan;100432 wrote:
The difference, as I saw it, was that I was becoming sidetracked from the original issue of what is meant by saying that X exists (or does not exist) by pursuing the question of whether or not we exist as opposed to analyzing what we mean when we say that we (or X) exist.

I suppose this could be stated as," kennethamy and TickTockman exist" (which would be analyzed to mean, "there are two individuals with the properties associated with kennethamy and TickTockMan").

In the end though, I suppose there really isn't a difference, as once we understand what is meant by saying that we (or X) exist, the conclusion that we exist which, as you pointed out, was not in question seems to become self-evident.

At least that's the way it seems to me at this point. I'm still wondering how far off I was with my comments in post #63 prior to my ill-advised "red herring" remark, or if I'm just painting myself farther into a corner . . .

Tick "What else did I leave on the coatrack" TockMan

The question of what it means to say that we exist is different from the question of how we know that we exist. Just as the question of what it means to say that there are ETs is different from how (or whether) we know there are ETs.

---------- Post added 10-29-2009 at 03:03 AM ----------

Arjuna;100405 wrote:
I like that. So a thing is defined by its properties?

Isn't it true that when we seek a definition of a referring term, that we are asking about the properties of what the term refers to?

---------- Post added 10-29-2009 at 03:09 AM ----------

Fil. Albuquerque;100428 wrote:
Existence itself is ABSOLUTE it REFERS to EVERYTHING !!!
By the contrary Objects or Entities have a RELATIVE existence...
they must relatively relate in order to be...
Same is to say Everything EXISTS...now, what we have to do is to stablish the relative terms in witch it/something exits (CONCEPTUALIZE)...
...and the HARD FACT is they are all relative...
...:brickwall::brickwall::brickwall:...

...Mermaids exist, but not in the same way I experience anyone around me...
...They are abstract entities...just like numbers for instance...

...the funny thing is that they are, in every meaningful aspect, very similar to everything else...
-they were at some point brought up...created...
-they also developed and evolved in Social imaginarium from generation to generation...
-they replicate in different cultures Cosmogonies...
-they operate in tails and stories in a adequate way...
( i could go on all night long, but i have made my point...)

...so what the hell does it mean that they are not real ???
...I really wonder, what actually intelligent people will think of this Thread around the World, who happen to trump on this nonsense...
...is it the permanent obsession with OBJECTIFICATION in West ?

Regards>FILIPE DE ALBUQUERQUE

Just why do you think that mermaids exist? I don't know anyone else who does. Certainly, if a mermaid did exist, she would not be an abstract entity, but a concrete entity in time and space. When sailors thought they saw mermaids, they did not think they we seeing abstract entities, did they. In fact, no one can see an abstract entity.

To say that something is not real is usually to say that it is only imagined, or hallucinated. At least that is true in English.

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 06:45 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;100433 wrote:
Just why do you think that mermaids exist? I don't know anyone else who does. Certainly, if a mermaid did exist, she would not be an abstract entity, but a concrete entity in time and space. When sailors thought they saw mermaids, they did not think they we seeing abstract entities, did they. In fact, no one can see an abstract entity.

To say that something is not real is usually to say that it is only imagined, or hallucinated. At least that is true in English.

Zetherin

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 07:27 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
The question of what it means to say that we exist is different from the question of how we know that we exist. Just as the question of what it means to say that there are ETs is different from how (or whether) we know there are ETs.

I'm confused as to what we're still discussing. What it means to say that we exist, we have discussed. How we know that we exist, we have discussed.

Can someone summarize now, five pages later, what our dilemma still is? I believe I lost it in all that writing.

kennethamy

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 07:55 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;100454 wrote:

No, numbers do exist. They have properties like being odd or even. I did not say that no abstract entities exist. Not at all. I said that mermaids are not abstract entites, and that if mermaids existed, they would be concrete entities. Mermaids of course, are nothing at all, since there are no mermaids. But if there were mermaids (which there are not) they would be creatures with the upper bodies of women, and the lower bodies of fish. But there are no such creatures.

---------- Post added 10-29-2009 at 10:06 AM ----------

Zetherin;100457 wrote:
I'm confused as to what we're still discussing. What it means to say that we exist, we have discussed. How we know that we exist, we have discussed.

Can someone summarize now, five pages later, what our dilemma still is? I believe I lost it in all that writing.

Have we done discussing what it is to exist, or not to exist? I argued that to exist is just to have properties. So that elephants do exist, but mermaids do not. If you are convinced that I am right, then we can move on to something else. But note, "exist" always means the same thing, viz. to have properties. But what is also interesting is that existence is not itself a property despite its grammatical appearance, so that we say of X that X exists, we are not ascribing a property to X. We are rather saying that X has properties. So, we are really saying that there is something that has the properties associated with X. In other words, existence is a meta-property. It is a property of properties.

This has ramifications for, say, the ontological argument for God which assumes that existence is a property. And, of course, the original question, what are we talking about when we say that X exists, and X does not exist?

Zetherin

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 09:09 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

Have we done discussing what it is to exist, or not to exist? I argued that to exist is just to have properties. So that elephants do exist, but mermaids do not.

But please define "properties" again. If you mean physical corroboration of some sort, am I wrong when I say an idea exists? Is your argument that ideas do not exist? Do words exist? If so, what are their properties?

kennethamy

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 09:53 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;100471 wrote:
But please define "properties" again. If you mean physical corroboration of some sort, am I wrong when I say an idea exists? Is your argument that ideas do not exist? Do words exist? If so, what are their properties?

Properties are features of some thing, like redness, or height, or intelligence, or beauty. Ideas do exist, for instance, the idea of a unicorn, or the idea of democracy. Words certainly exist. The properties of words are, how they are spelled, pronounced, what they mean, and so on.

Properties (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 10:09 am
@Zetherin,

Zetherin

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 10:44 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;100474 wrote:
Properties are features of some thing, like redness, or height, or intelligence, or beauty. Ideas do exist, for instance, the idea of a unicorn, or the idea of democracy. Words certainly exist. The properties of words are, how they are spelled, pronounced, what they mean, and so on.

Properties (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)

I was actually reading this exact article when I asked you those questions. I noticed how much dispute there was over properties and their existence, so I wanted to see what your response would be.

Nonetheless, I agree with you.

So, then, when we say X exists, we are saying X has properties. When we say X does not exist, we are saying X does not have properties. But, I think, you knew this before you even made this thread. So, I want to know why you doubted yourself.

TickTockMan

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 10:45 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;100433 wrote:

This is precisely the thought I was trying to convey, but was having difficulty properly expressing. Thank you. This has been extraordinarily informative and interesting for me. Can you recommend any useful introductory level books (as I'm reasonably certain that Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus would utterly baffle me at this point) that would help with further study?

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 1.11 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 12:37:52