What does it mean to say that X exists, or does not exist?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Zetherin

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 08:31 pm
@YumClock,
YumClock;101134 wrote:
So to say that X exists when X is an object would be to say that an object that exhibits its physical properties has been observed?

Not all properties are observable, even on those things which exist physically. For example, "weight" is not observable as "weight" depends on the gravitational pull of the environment with which the object is placed. And not all properties are known, so it has nothing to do with whether we've observed them or not. The properties exist independently of our perspective.

Quote:
And to say that X exists when X is the name of an idea is to say that somebody somewhere holds the idea in his or her mind?

Everything that exists has properties. Ideas exist and therefore have properties. A property of an idea could be that it's "good", "bad", "clear", or "distinct" (Descartes states the latter two are the most important epistemic properties of ideas). But, yes, someone would have to have the idea in their mind, for it to be, well, an idea... and for it to exist.

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 08:42 pm
@kennethamy,
Before it comes to be one has to ask if the incoming idea is attainable...for some reason different people often have the same ideas...

kennethamy

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 08:43 pm
@YumClock,
YumClock;101134 wrote:
So to say that X exists when X is an object would be to say that an object that exhibits its physical properties has been observed?

And to say that X exists when X is the name of an idea is to say that somebody somewhere holds the idea in his or her mind?

1. No, it just means that X has properties, or that the concept of X has a referent. If we observe something that has the properties of X, then we know that X exists. But, that is, of course, different from X existing, since X can exist and no one know that it exists.

2. If X is an idea then, of course, someone has that idea. But that is not what it means to say that the idea exists.

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 08:45 pm
@kennethamy,
Quote:
If X is an idea then, of course, someone has that idea. But that is not what it means to say that the idea exists.

This is correct...

YumClock

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 09:57 pm
@kennethamy,
I am confused. Does the act of holding an idea not cause the idea to exist?

Zetherin

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 10:44 pm
@YumClock,
YumClock;101162 wrote:

If someone has the idea, the idea exists. What are you confused about?

YumClock

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2009 12:24 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;101148 wrote:
If X is an idea then, of course, someone has that idea. But that is not what it means to say that the idea exists.

This. To say the idea exists is not to say someone holds the idea? What is an idea if it is not held?

kennethamy

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2009 07:12 am
@YumClock,
YumClock;101162 wrote:

If you have an idea, the idea exists. No one has denied that.

ACB

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2009 07:14 am
@kennethamy,
Yes, YumClock, I am confused about that too.

kennethamy;101148 wrote:

So what is the criterion of existence for an idea? I suppose it depends on whether you define an idea as a "public" entity held by many people (e.g. the idea of time), or as a constituent of the mind of an individual (e.g. my current idea of the room I am in, or a sensation I am feeling). Either way, it seems that an idea can only exist if someone holds it. So I am puzzled by the underlined sentence above. Surely ideas are either constructed out of raw sense-data and/or other ideas, or received from other people who already hold the idea; they are not plucked out of some immaterial realm.

One other point. If we say that something exists if and only if it has properties, and that something has properties if and only if it exists (so that "imaginary" is not a real property of unicorns - see post #155), then the definition of "exist" is circular.

kennethamy

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2009 07:15 am
@YumClock,
YumClock;101176 wrote:
This. To say the idea exists is not to say someone holds the idea? What is an idea if it is not held?

That an idea, I, is held, implies that that idea exists. But that doesn't, in any way, tell us what it means for the idea to exist.
If I own a dog, then the dog exists. But, that does not tell us what it means for the dog to exist. Does it?

---------- Post added 11-02-2009 at 08:32 AM ----------

ACB;101231 wrote:
Yes, I am confused about that too.

So what is the criterion of existence for an idea? I suppose it depends on whether you define an idea as a "public" entity held by many people (e.g. the idea of time), or as a constituent of the mind of an individual (e.g. my current idea of the room I am in, or a sensation I am feeling). Either way, it seems that an idea can only exist if someone holds it. So I am puzzled by the underlined sentence above. Surely ideas are either constructed out of raw sense-data and/or other ideas, or received from other people who already hold the idea; they are not plucked out of some immaterial realm.

One other point. If we say that something exists if and only if it has properties, and that something has properties if and only if it exists (so that "imaginary" is not a real property of unicorns - see post #155), then the definition of "exist" is circular.

1. It may be that the mental is the physical. The criterion is whether there is something which has the properties associated with ideas. As it is with everything else.

2. Not at all. It is a definition, and, so, if the definition is a true one, then the definiens, and the definiendum should be equivalent. Otherwise it is no a good definition. For example, Brother =df. male sibling. That is, if something is a brother, then that something is a male sibling: and if something is a male sibling, then it is a brother. That isn't circular. It is a true definition.

A circular definition is one in which the definiendum is defined by itself or a near synonym. E.G. "Interesting" means, "attracts your interest".

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2009 07:44 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;101232 wrote:
That an idea, I, is held, implies that that idea exists. But that doesn't, in any way, tell us what it means for the idea to exist.
If I own a dog, then the dog exists. But, that does not tell us what it means for the dog to exist. Does it?

---------- Post added 11-02-2009 at 08:32 AM ----------

1. It may be that the mental is the physical. The criterion is whether there is something which has the properties associated with ideas. As it is with everything else.

2. Not at all. It is a definition, and, so, if the definition is a true one, then the definiens, and the definiendum should be equivalent. Otherwise it is no a good definition. For example, Brother =df. male sibling. That is, if something is a brother, then that something is a male sibling: and if something is a male sibling, then it is a brother. That isn't circular. It is a true definition.

A circular definition is one in which the definiendum is defined by itself or a near synonym. E.G. "Interesting" means, "attracts your interest".

Once more I agree...

hue-man

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2009 10:34 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;101230 wrote:
If you have an idea, the idea exists. No one has denied that.

But some may hold that if something doesn't physically exist, or is not a part of the physical world, it doesn't really exist. We can reduce ideas to the mind, and the mind to the material brain, but the material brain is not the idea itself. Ideas and concepts are merely secondary, epiphenomena. They don't exist in the same sense that my hand does. The only problem I see with this is that it either calls for making a distinction between two categories of existence, or it demands that ideas be considered not to exist or not to be real.

Bhaktajan

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2009 01:56 pm
@kennethamy,
1] What does it mean to say that X exists? X indicates that the 'right-to-exist' is an absolute right. Since X exists ---it is an absolute un-dessolvible truth.

2] Here is a ode to "X" that I composed:

Nothingness and Something-ness both existed together and sustained each other since time-immemorial, together this is called the material manifestation or the Cosmos.

Something-ness may be found either conscious or in-animated.

The Self: Each conscious Individual, within the cosmos, has as its own address a "Vector Point" [X-Y-Z Axis Intersection]-which is indivisible, individual, eternal, and conscious.

An animated conscious individual may occupy a body [encasement].

This encasement allows the pursuit of its own gratification by way of:
1 Eating,
2 Sleeping,
3 Mating,
4 Defense (Physical, mental, ego).

After the temporal stages of birth, growth, old age and death the vector point retains only the spirit of 'direction toward a **goal'.

Thus by dint of prior cultivated interests, inherits a new body/encasement which accommodates another lifetime for the pursuit of gratification(s) along the same lines of interests that where cultivated during its last life. When this is repeated since time immemorial the sages call this 'samsara' [the cycle of birth and death].

[**the goal is often without guidance thus the 4 pursuits become the ultimate means and end of life's journey to nowhere except repeated gratification. Proper guidance allows us to reconcile, "What in the hell are we doing here?" during a lifetime].

The setting of the above pastimes [of every animated or inanimated individual point] is a large empty space of Nothingness [the sages call this empty space: 'brahman'].

The in-animated elements within the cosmos are of two kinds:
1 gross matter [earth, water, fire, air, either], and,
2 subtle [mind, intelligence, ego].

The mystery of life is the attainment of transcendence.
Some say the attainment of nirvana, or merging with the primordial 'Nothingness' is the goal.

The chain of succession of knowledge that comes to us from the Literary incarnation of Godhead who compiled the Vedic Dialogues which shows us [through dissatisfaction with our own pursuits -life time after life times of gratification in countless species of life- in varying births of different status] that the goal of life is to seek the 'Absolute Truth' not relative truths.

The conclusion of the Vedas and thus the conclusion of Vedanta is the 'Absolute Truth' known as the personage known as a singular Godhead. We know this 'Absolute Truth' in the same way we know who are real father is: from our mother [except for those who cultivated future disadvatages]. The Vedas are like our mother telling us who are father is etc, etc.

The top most mystic yoga discipline:
Remembering the Absolute nature of the transcendental name, fame, form, personality, paraphernalia, entourage, and, pastimes of none other than the Supreme Personality of Godhead, the source of Mahavisnu and the expansions of the cosmos in his original-original eternal, all-cognizant, all-blissful form of God in his Transcendent Realms where every soul pursues reciprocal pastimes with God face to face.

Yoga is to re-link with this 'Absolute Truth', thus remembering Godhead's form assists the minute living entity [conscious Individual Vector Point] at death so as to acquire a next birth that further cultivates God Conscousness till successful completion. Remembering Godhead in the material world is prescribed thus [it is also the easiest]: Chant Krishna's names. Chant the Hare Krishna Maha-Mantra. Read the Bhagavad-gita's Chapter 10 "The Opulence of the Absolute" to learn where to see God's opulence spread through-out the cosmos.

Did I do it again and show that I am a Hare Krishna Chanting Preacher with a Krishna fixation?

kennethamy

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2009 03:39 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man;101270 wrote:
But some may hold that if something doesn't physically exist, or is not a part of the physical world, it doesn't really exist. We can reduce ideas to the mind, and the mind to the material brain, but the material brain is not the idea itself. Ideas and concepts are merely secondary, epiphenomena. They don't exist in the same sense that my hand does. The only problem I see with this is that it either calls for making a distinction between two categories of existence, or it demands that ideas be considered not to exist or not to be real.

Ideas exist in exactly the same sense your hand exists. That is, they have properties, and your hand also has properties. It may, of course, be, that your hand has physical properties, but that ideas do not have physical properties. But that doesn't mean that the sense in which they exist is different. I just means that to discover whether each of them exists, you have to look for different kinds of properties each instantiates.

hue-man

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2009 11:03 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;101339 wrote:
Ideas exist in exactly the same sense your hand exists. That is, they have properties, and your hand also has properties. It may, of course, be, that your hand has physical properties, but that ideas do not have physical properties. But that doesn't mean that the sense in which they exist is different. I just means that to discover whether each of them exists, you have to look for different kinds of properties each instantiates.

Can you please describe the properties of an idea?

kennethamy

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2009 03:40 am
@hue-man,
hue-man;101394 wrote:
Can you please describe the properties of an idea?

Certainly. An idea may be: interesting, new, belong to me, be very influential, and so on. One idea may give birth to another idea, also.

hue-man

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2009 09:13 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;101408 wrote:
Certainly. An idea may be: interesting, new, belong to me, be very influential, and so on. One idea may give birth to another idea, also.

But none of these terms you use refer to physical properties. You're simply using abstract concepts (belong to me, interesting, new) to support another abstract concept.

kennethamy

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2009 09:18 am
@hue-man,
hue-man;101475 wrote:
But none of these terms you use refer to physical properties. You're simply using abstract concepts (belong to me, interesting, new) to support another abstract concept.

Well, ideas are mental, they are not physical. So why would you expect them to have physical properties? An idea may be vivid rather than weak, detailed or specific, rather than vague. Physical objects do not have mental properties either. All concepts are abstract.

hue-man

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2009 09:26 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;101477 wrote:
Well, ideas are mental, they are not physical. So why would you expect them to have physical properties? An idea may be vivid rather than weak, detailed or specific, rather than vague. Physical objects do not have mental properties either. All concepts are abstract.

I know that all concepts are abstract, but that's my point. The mind is simply the word we use to describe the functional process of the brain. The brain is material, but the material brain is not the idea itself. Are not mental constructs nothing more than the functions of the material brain?

I am not convinced that abstractions are worthy of the classification of existence. Maybe I'm being too rigid, but I don't feel like I mean the same thing when I say that abstractions exist and when I say that my eyeball exists.

kennethamy

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2009 09:34 am
@hue-man,
hue-man;101482 wrote:
I know that all concepts are abstract, but that's my point. The mind is simply the word we use to describe the functional process of the brain. The brain is material, but the material brain is not the idea itself. Are not mental constructs nothing more than the functions of the material brain?

I am not convinced that abstractions are worthy of the classification of existence. Maybe I'm being too rigid, but I don't feel like I mean the same thing when I say that abstractions exist and when I say that my eyeball exists.

Well, I don't believe ideas are abstractions, although an idea may be an idea of an abstraction. My idea of democracy is an idea of an abstraction. But my idea of an elephant is an idea of a concrete object, not an abstraction. I think we need to distinguish between what an idea is, and of what it is an idea. A particular idea, like my idea of democracy is of an abstraction, but it is not itself an abstraction. If I tell someone that I have a good idea, let's go to the movies, I am not referring to an abstraction, nor is the idea an idea of an abstraction.
As I have been saying, the word, "exist" is univocal, although, of course, different kinds of things exist.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 11:22:46