Causal Argument, Introduction

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

xris

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2009 07:23 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Then are we just as silly for making this our absolute assertion?:perplexed:

I hate being dogmatic but even saying I'm not, makes me dogmatic.

I start to worry that such theories as the torus universe might just have a ring of truth in its proposal. If its true then eternity looks a little closer and something is definitely forever. No one can tell me where we position ourselves in this theory and how from that perspective all the anomalies of an expanding universe makes more sense.

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2009 07:34 am
@Shostakovich phil,
A is self circular not infinite...is defined ! I apply the Big Bounce Theory in to it...but you can use other models as long they take this into account...A has to be stable !

salima

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2009 07:42 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;100800 wrote:
A is self circular not infinite...is defined ! I apply the Big Bounce Theory in to it...but you can use other models as long they take this into account...A has to be stable !

you are saying A has boundaries? then what is outside of A?

why cant A be infinite inwardly? why cant it be infinite outwardly also since it expands infinitely ?

there is nothing that will not fit in 'mind' ...even yours or mine!

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2009 08:08 am
@salima,
salima;100802 wrote:
you are saying A has boundaries? then what is outside of A?

why cant A be infinite inwardly? why cant it be infinite outwardly also since it expands infinitely ?

there is nothing that will not fit in 'mind' ...even yours or mine!

Shostakovich phil

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2009 08:20 am
@xris,
xris;100786 wrote:
We might just be missing a certain something from these preconceived ideas, we must dismiss all these notions and determine by what we do know, not what we assume.

We can never know everything, by this line of reasoning. How can you discuss metaphysics, or the beginning of all things, by what we do know, except by taking what we do know, and pointing it in the direction it leads, and by following our logic, and our intuitive sense?

There is an a priori line of reasoning used in the Causal Argument.

There is obviously a lack of Kant experts on this forum; otherwise, this feature would have been talked about more, for it is what sets this argument apart from the rest. It is a complete synthetic cognition, a priori, from the premise to the conclusion. And it is not fallacious, or just another ontological argument. It adheres to Kant's critical demands in this regard.

And the question of an ultimate origin of all things demands reaching beyond our present sense experience of this world. To go simply by what we do know is an empiricist philosophy and by that standard of limited thinking, questions that reach to the extreme, as taken on by the Causal Argument, are illegitimate.

No one can determine what is a legitimate and an illegitimate use of reason. There are no thought police in existence yet. We haven't reached that stage in our evolution, and we never will. But philosophy is replete with empiricists and others who would, if they only could, hand out fines whenever we breech one of their dogmatic laws, and overstep the bounds they have imposed upon our thinking. We still have the freedom to think, regardless of what you say, and we have the freedom to put forth models/theories about how everything came to be, and that's just what the Causal Argument does. Why should mathematicians, who follow an accepted empiricist dogma, be the only ones who can put forth theories/models of how the unvierse came to be?

Because their conclusions don't lead to the existence of a Supreme Being?

And the Causal Argument, to repeat, is not the same as all the rest.

Show me where there is another model that necessitates a priori, an expanding universe? As I have asked above.

Rather than address this question directly, and show me where there is another philosophical theory/model that necessitates an expanding universe, you've simply avoided the question. And the reason is obvious. It's because you cannot meet this demand. So rather than face the impossible, you're simply restating what's already been said ... that the argument is the same as all the rest. But you're skirting around the question.

Again: "Where is there a philosophical system that necessitates, a priori, an expanding universe?"

You can't avoid this direct and specific question by posting something to detract attention away from it.

Unless you can address the question and meet the demand, your criticism, that the argument is just like all the rest, is unjustifiable.

xris

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2009 08:58 am
@Shostakovich phil,
Im not denying nor am i confirming your attempt at theorising. I'm asking you not to be so certain or be certain of what is accepted science. You have made proposals on what has been acceptable on the observed evidence, you have based your argument on other proposals that in themselves could be suspect. Im asking you not to be dogmatic, something you are accusing others of being.

Did you see me mention the torus universe, as the proverbial spanner in the works for most debatable arguments, when we are consider the universe and its birth. Im not saying its proven only that other proposed scenarios put all our theories into dogmatic positions. If we ever admit we are certain then it is time for us to stop debating, put our slippers on and make a nice cup of tea. Can I prove you wrong? no, but equally you cant be certain your proposals are correct, giving we have so many unknowables in the equation.

Shostakovich phil

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2009 09:17 am
@xris,
xris;100817 wrote:
Im not denying nor am i confirming your attempt at theorising. I'm asking you not to be so certain or be certain of what is accepted science. You have made proposals on what has been acceptable on the observed evidence, you have based your argument on other proposals that in themselves could be suspect. Im asking you not to be dogmatic, something you are accusing others of being.

Did you see me mention the torus universe, as the proverbial spanner in the works for most debatable arguments, when we are consider the universe and its birth. Im not saying its proven only that other proposed scenarios put all our theories into dogmatic positions. If we ever admit we are certain then it is time for us to stop debating, put our slippers on and make a nice cup of tea. Can I prove you wrong? no, but equally you cant be certain your proposals are correct, giving we have so many unknowables in the equation.

The argument has been posted for debate, so it should be clear that I'm offering a dogmatic position in order to see whether it can be debated.

Nothing is ever beyond debate. Questions will always surface.

I have stated above that I can't think of a better model/theory that fits all the observed facts science can throw at us, and also, settle certain intuitive questions. One of those questions is: If we begin from a more complicated premise (a concrete condition) we can always beg the question as to the origin of that condition. Then it becomes a matter of debating what we mean by something, and nothing. I think I'm more in agreement with you here when you say there must always have been something. The question is: How do we define this something. And I have offered a definition as the premise in the CA.

This is what philosophy is all about, debate ... and I think the best way of inspiriing a debate, is to assume a dogmatic position, whether for or against. So of course, this in itself becomes a source of debate, and even contention ... we all assume dogmatic positions, it's human nature. I'm dogmatic in my insistence that I've found certainty. Others will debate this, from their own perspective, and deny any certainty.

xris

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2009 09:43 am
@Shostakovich phil,
I agree as soon as we make a statement it can be considered dogmatic, but its the attention to dogma that concerns me, it always has. My only concern, as you must have realised, is not your logic on the accepted science but IF the accepted science is correct. We cant theories on a false premise.

Shostakovich phil

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2009 01:33 pm
@xris,
xris;100824 wrote:
I agree as soon as we make a statement it can be considered dogmatic, but its the attention to dogma that concerns me, it always has. My only concern, as you must have realised, is not your logic on the accepted science but IF the accepted science is correct. We cant theories on a false premise.

There are several books I have read by well know physicists/scientists/philosophers who all seem to agree on one thing, and that is that as we search for truth (or a better understanding of everything) we progress by gradual steps towards it. Sometimes we might fall backwards a step or two, but by the sheer force of our will to find out, we inevitably move closer to the objective.

Look upon the Causal Argument as an attempt to move towards the objective. If it's a step or two backwards, which I do not think it is, that will inevitably be realized ... but if it's a step forwards, then that too will be realized.

I offer it only because it provides for me, a more coherent picture of everything that I know.

I retain my domatic stand however, in claiming the argument is universal, not arbitrary, and it could have been formulated by anyone because it is the answer that was out there, waiting to be found. There is also no other argument out there that fits the definition of a science according to the definition of Kant ... and here, I agree with Kant's way of looking at the problems of metaphysics. Not everyone will agree with Kant. And I don't expect everyone to agree with the Causal Argument.

And when I weigh the balances, all I can say is that I do not have anything aside from the Causal Argument that would explain the world to me as well. Where's the substitute? In uncertainty, for the sake of eschewing dogmatism, or the disbelief that final answers can truly be found? Personally I have no fear of either the unknown or the known. I am one of those foolhardy people who try to open doors that other people try to keep locked. In fact, if there is an open door and a locked door before me, I'm the kind of person who will try and go through the locked door. The one that's open is just too easy. I want to know what it is that is on the other side of that locked door. It must be pretty damn important; otherwise the door wouldn't be locked.

All my life I've been told over and over again, that you can't go there ... drop it ... you're venturing on a dangerous course ... you'll never get there ... metaphysics is for fools ... no one can answer those questions ... don't even try.

So what do I do? I go for that locked door, and every attempt by others to get my hands off the doorknob only makes me struggle harder to get that door open.

Isn't that a reflection of the true spirit of philosophy?

xris

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2009 01:59 pm
@Shostakovich phil,
I think its a common endeavour, to search for answers, but if you assume before the door is open then you will be questioned. I see certain footprints in the sand but i try not describe the owner before i see the foot. Im not saying your not advancing our understanding or your attitude is wrong, just making a comment on your belief that your theory is based on a certainty, that for me is not certain.

Shostakovich phil

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2009 08:57 pm
@xris,
xris;100880 wrote:
I think its a common endeavour, to search for answers, but if you assume before the door is open then you will be questioned. I see certain footprints in the sand but i try not describe the owner before i see the foot. Im not saying your not advancing our understanding or your attitude is wrong, just making a comment on your belief that your theory is based on a certainty, that for me is not certain.

The certainty is only in the a priori form of the argument. There is no absolute certainty about the actual proof proposed; just in the form of the argument. The logic is consistent, and so is the necessity. In in this regard, the argument amounts to the philosophical equivalent to a mathematical theory (though this too is debatable); and it awaits its only possible empirical proof by way of whatever predictions are made by the theory. The one most significant prediction that follows is that time will cease in the future, and all things will become infinite in their form. There are theological considerations besides this that follow, but I haven't posted any of these considerations. I can say however that there is much more to the argument than can be seen on the surface, or from a few readings of the argument. It will take time to gell in the mind of even the most astute reader.

You're right however, in retaining a healthy skepticism. I also retain a healthy skepticism and will so until I have the hard, concrete proofs staring me in the face. So I am not as dogmatic as one might think after reading the argument.

When it comes to metaphysics however, there is only so much we can hope for, or expect. This is where my understanding of Kant comes into play.

And for defending the argument it's best to defend it rigorously, something like the obligation that a criminal attorney would have in the defense of his client. One can't adopt a wishy-washy approach in order to put up a good defense. I'm sure you'll agree.

salima

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 12:06 am
@Shostakovich phil,
Shostakovich;100934 wrote:
The certainty is only in the a priori form of the argument. There is no absolute certainty about the actual proof proposed; just in the form of the argument. The logic is consistent, and so is the necessity. In in this regard, the argument amounts to the philosophical equivalent to a mathematical theory (though this too is debatable); and it awaits its only possible empirical proof by way of whatever predictions are made by the theory. The one most significant prediction that follows is that time will cease in the future, and all things will become infinite in their form. There are theological considerations besides this that follow, but I haven't posted any of these considerations. I can say however that there is much more to the argument than can be seen on the surface, or from a few readings of the argument. It will take time to gell in the mind of even the most astute reader.

i must admit i havent yet grasped it entirely.

but i keep trying to put the world around me into the theory-for instance, where does humanity fit? what part of it are we? or is it a case of A, B and X being a part of everything?

i wasnt seeing A as being material, nor B either-but then if X split off from B, it must have become matter at that point. if human beings or any other (or every other) part of creation are both mind and matter, i dont know what to make of it.

should i not go that route and try and grasp the logic first?

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 08:13 am
@salima,
salima;100950 wrote:
i must admit i havent yet grasped it entirely.

but i keep trying to put the world around me into the theory-for instance, where does humanity fit? what part of it are we? or is it a case of A, B and X being a part of everything?

i wasnt seeing A as being material, nor B either-but then if X split off from B, it must have become matter at that point. if human beings or any other (or every other) part of creation are both mind and matter, i dont know what to make of it.

...Shostakovich says Mind, I say Order witch is slightly different...

Shostakovich phil

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 01:00 pm
@salima,
salima;100950 wrote:
i
Quote:

must admit i havent yet grasped it entirely.

X split off from B gives us the mass (substance) from which the material universe arose ... and so, as physical (in part) particulars in the universe, we have been fashioned out of the substance of X. Design took place after the critical stage of the series that preceded and initiated the big bang; meaning by the critical stage, that stage wherein B split from X, and obtained to A. Our non-physical esence (spirit ... life ... mind) has been infused (given) to us by B, which is also spirit, and Absolute Mind.

Quote:
i wasnt seeing A as being material,

A = an Absolute, eternal immaterial essence (within which B and X are contained), and to this we can give the name spirit. So you are right. A is not material.

Quote:
nor B either-but then if X split off from B, it must have become matter at that point.

That's right. But the preceding series accounts for how this X came to be ... intensifying from a state approximating nothing at all (its ultimate beginning), and intensifying through the causal series explained to a point of infinite density: Hence, the singularity (a point of zero spacetime with infinite density, or mass).

Quote:

if human beings or any other (or every other) part of creation are both mind and matter, i dont know what to make of it.

Only physical living beings with mind are both mind and matter. The process of creation is just as science has it, a process of development, from one stage to the next, from the first single celled organisms, to Homo sapiens.

Quote:

If you follow the above then you have a decent grasp of the argument. But it's a conceptual system. You can only grasp it fully by first imagining it ... by taking the principles and by actually visualizing what they are saying. If someone lacks visual/conceptual abilities (something like the thinking of an artist who sees what they are going to paint) it will be next to impossible to grasp the argument.

The system cannot work in any other way than defined by the principles; and that is what gives the argument its a priori, necessity.

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 01:45 pm
@Shostakovich phil,
Is Matter material ?...hard to tell...In my point of view Spirit to matter conversion is not relevant or pertinent...what one can say is that through Space\Time simulation there is an apparent increase in complexity in the axis length of A itself...to this we can in order to simplify state that there is B and Xone Nature to things...they are all replicas of One, "building" an axis of complexity, as I said, through a Time\Space simulated referential, witch itself is an axis in A...

Shostakovich phil

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 05:17 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;101056 wrote:
Quote:
one Nature to things...they are all replicas of One, "building" an axis of complexity, as I said, through a Time\Space simulated referential, witch itself is an axis in A..

I agree that all things came from some eternal unity (one), but I'm a visualist, and I can visualize a causal process wherein mass is generated by B's movement to A by means of a successively intensifying series. What you're saying I cannot visualize. Can it be visualized? Can you clarify 'simulated referential' ... the axis in A I can agree with, but I need to intuitively grasp/visualize what you're saying in order to comprehend it fully ... like I visualize and comprehend the Causal Argument, and the necessity in the movement of B to A. Because I cannot avoid seeing the necessity in the process defined by the Causal Argument I cannot consider the argument as a simple conjecture, or possibility ... it had to work the way the principles explain. The argument answers Kant, and in this, it rises above the level of a mere conjecture.

Is there strict necessity involved in the simulated referential?

Or, is it conjecture? I don't know, unless I can grasp it more fully.

salima

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 06:24 pm
@Shostakovich phil,
Shostakovich;101108 wrote:
Fil. Albuquerque;101056 wrote:

I agree that all things came from some eternal unity (one), but I'm a visualist, and I can visualize a causal process wherein mass is generated by B's movement to A by means of a successively intensifying series. What you're saying I cannot visualize. Can it be visualized? Can you clarify 'simulated referential' ... the axis in A I can agree with, but I need to intuitively grasp/visualize what you're saying in order to comprehend it fully ... like I visualize and comprehend the Causal Argument, and the necessity in the movement of B to A. Because I cannot avoid seeing the necessity in the process defined by the Causal Argument I cannot consider the argument as a simple conjecture, or possibility ... it had to work the way the principles explain. The argument answers Kant, and in this, it rises above the level of a mere conjecture.

Is there strict necessity involved in the simulated referential?

Or, is it conjecture? I don't know, unless I can grasp it more fully.

i am following you pretty close then, i think.

but my small contention is somewhat akin to what Fil is saying. i cant see that X could be totally made of matter-not any part of it i mean. for instance, since you say we are fashioned from x but both matter and mind, along with all living physical beings, there is a separation here between everything that is not living, and that doesnt seem right to me. maybe it is because you are visualizing mind as having capacity for thought-where this thing which Fil calls Order and you call Mind i think of as consciousness, which (in my estimation) does not have to have any capacity for thought or will, simply an awareness that would correspond to the sensory apparatus in its material existence, if it has reached the point of gaining material existence.

i cant see any X material having any reality if it were not wholly a part of A, or at least attached to it in some way. but i think it needs more than simply being contained within it to subsist or sustain itself.

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 06:59 pm
@salima,
I agree with you Shostakovich when you say that what I mean is hard to visualize, and yet simultaneously hard to avoid to...
AB or X as "things", and rather prefer to talk in functions, keeping one Nature intact to the most...

hope you can help me in this endeavour...see you all soon ! Smile

Regards>FILIPE DE ALBUQUERQUE

Shostakovich phil

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 08:11 pm
@salima,
salima;101119 wrote:

Quote:

i am following you pretty close then, i think.

but my small contention is somewhat akin to what Fil is saying. i cant see that X could be totally made of matter-not any part of it i mean. for instance, since you say we are fashioned from x but both matter and mind, along with all living physical beings, there is a separation here between everything that is not living, and that doesnt seem right to me.

In my argument I'm arguing that the only property with Consciousness or Mind, or Life, is A; and everything with life, intelligence, mind, consciousness, has that capacity given to it, somehow, by A, and this could be through B which is equated to A, as a pure, dynamic force of Mind. B equates to a Absolute, Supreme Being, and we have mind given/implanted into our physical bodies, because B provides it, to give us life and intelligence/consciousness. The human brain is more than just the sum of its parts, and it is this life/consciousness/spirit essence that is over and above the physical, that accounts for our being. Our physical properties are fashioned out of the 'unconcious' material substance of X.

What I'm saying then is that we are both physical in form, but we have a spirit essence that gives us life and consciousness, and the capacity to think and experience.

Quote:

maybe it is because you are visualizing mind as having capacity for thought-where this thing which Fil calls Order and you call Mind i think of as consciousness, which (in my estimation) does not have to have any capacity for thought or will, simply an awareness that would correspond to the sensory apparatus in its material existence, if it has reached the point of gaining material existence.

Here I think we can come to some agreement by allowing our abstract terms to float into each other to some extent.

i
Quote:
cant see any X material having any reality if it were not wholly a part of A, or at least attached to it in some way. but i think it needs more than simply being contained within it to subsist or sustain itself.

X has to be seen from the argument as having diverged (changed) in its form from A, through the movement of B to A. It has, that is, emerged from A, but has split off in its form, from A. Were it to revert back to A, is would be dissolved back into its underlying, fundamental essence, which is A.

Is this intelligible?

This is the way the argument has it. A is as Fil would say, not exceeded; as B and X are contained within A, and made possible only through and within A. It is the Absolute that is the determinate of all other things, material and immaterial.

salima

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 11:26 pm
@Shostakovich phil,
Shostakovich;101137 wrote:
salima;101119 wrote:

In my argument I'm arguing that the only property with Consciousness or Mind, or Life, is A; and everything with life, intelligence, mind, consciousness, has that capacity given to it, somehow, by A, and this could be through B which is equated to A, as a pure, dynamic force of Mind. B equates to a Absolute, Supreme Being, and we have mind given/implanted into our physical bodies, because B provides it, to give us life and intelligence/consciousness. The human brain is more than just the sum of its parts, and it is this life/consciousness/spirit essence that is over and above the physical, that accounts for our being. Our physical properties are fashioned out of the 'unconcious' material substance of X.

What I'm saying then is that we are both physical in form, but we have a spirit essence that gives us life and consciousness, and the capacity to think and experience.

Here I think we can come to some agreement by allowing our abstract terms to float into each other to some extent.
i
X has to be seen from the argument as having diverged (changed) in its form from A, through the movement of B to A. It has, that is, emerged from A, but has split off in its form, from A. Were it to revert back to A, is would be dissolved back into its underlying, fundamental essence, which is A.

Is this intelligible?

This is the way the argument has it. A is as Fil would say, not exceeded; as B and X are contained within A, and made possible only through and within A. It is the Absolute that is the determinate of all other things, material and immaterial.

i think we can set aside the details of the interior, and say that we agree on the basic premises.

but once again i am stymied at the end where you mention there being will. you say will arose out of B attaining to A. the only rationale i have that there could be an intent or will in a supreme being is because we as individuals (though i dont believe we are individuals at all) seem to feel that we have will and power. so how can it be that we would have something the absolute would not have? but i am guessing it is in its infancy and not fully developed, if in fact it is there.

i do not see the supreme being as omnipotent...at least not yet. perhaps it is going through the same struggle we as individuals face-that being the issue of trying to learn to get out of our own way. but of course i realize that is only imagination on my part...like the artist you mentioned envisioning the painting.

one of the things i read in philosophy and i forgot who said it, was that the painting is greater than the idea of the painting in the mind of the artist. i have to say i disagree there-because i can imagine far more better paintings than i would ever be able to execute. but i lack the skill, training and knowledge to create them.

suppose all our sorrows, all our hopes and dreams and trials and losses are jointly owned by this one being who is even more aghast at what we have done than we are, as far as war, crime, ruthlessness and apathy, etc. and all our joys and loves and triumphs and breakthroughs as well...you can see how my thoughts tend to babble on...but i doubt i am helping you any with your argument, much as i would like to.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/16/2024 at 08:41:21