Causal Argument, Introduction

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Pathfinder

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2009 11:24 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;99865 wrote:
But logical arguments are not a matter of opinion, they are a matter of logic. Picking apart logical arguments piece by piece is not a worthless endeavor; in fact, it is the most worthwhile endeavor. It is how you can see if the argument is even valid in the first place, nevermind sound.

Would you like us to evaluate your work based on logical coherency and validity, or would you like us to evaluate your work based on personal opinion and feeling (like one would, with say, a piece of music)?

The answer to your question on one piece of speculative logic may be found easily in another portion of the thesis.

Zetherin

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2009 11:36 am
@Shostakovich phil,
Fil. Albuquerque wrote:

...a bunch of pieces does not make a car unless they are putt together...

To use this analogy appropriately, the car would be a valid and sound conclusion. The pieces would be valid and sound premises. The pieces would not fit together to form the car if they weren't the correct sizes and shapes, would they? Likewise, the argument will not be logically coherent unless the premises are the correct "sizes" (valid) and "shapes" (sound). Whether it looks sound or valid from a distance means nothing; a car could look new from a distance but may not even start!

Pathfinder wrote:
The answer to your question on one piece of speculative logic may be found easily in another portion of the thesis.

I don't understand what this means. The soundness of one part of the argument may be found in another part of the argument? If this is so, then the argument isn't organized, or perhaps this is not an argument at all. We need to be able to see each piece if the pieces build upon one another. Why would we continue agreeing with the rest of the argument if we find the last premise to be suspect?

kennethamy

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2009 11:48 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;99873 wrote:
To use this analogy appropriately, the car would be a valid and sound conclusion. The pieces would be valid and sound premises. The pieces would not fit together to form the car if they weren't the correct sizes and shapes, would they? Likewise, the argument will not be logically coherent unless the premises are the correct "sizes" (valid) and "shapes" (sound). Whether it looks sound or valid from a distance means nothing; a car could look new from a distance but may not even start!

I don't understand what this means. The soundness of one part of the argument may be found in another part of the argument? If this is so, then the argument isn't organized, or perhaps this is not an argument at all. We need to be able to see each piece if the pieces build upon one another. Why would we continue agreeing with the rest of the argument if we find the last premise to be suspect?

Someone once said that to trying to philosophize without knowing any logic, is like trying to row a boat without having any oars. In both cases you get nowhere. You just splash around.

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2009 11:51 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;99876 wrote:
Someone once said that to trying to philosophize without knowing any logic, is like trying to row a boat without having any oars. In both cases you get nowhere. You just splash around.

Gestalt psychology or gestaltism (German: Gestalt - "form" or "whole") of the Berlin School is a theory of mind and brain positing that the operational principle of the brain is holistic, parallel, and analog, with self-organizing tendencies, or that the whole is different from the sum of its parts. The Gestalt effect refers to the form-forming capability of our senses, particularly with respect to the visual recognition of figures and whole forms instead of just a collection of simple lines and curves. In psychology, gestaltism is often opposed to structuralism and Wundt. Often, the phrase "The whole is greater than the sum of the parts" is used when explaining Gestalt theory.

Link: Gestalt psychology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ignorance is often arrogant...

Zetherin

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2009 11:57 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;99877 wrote:
Gestalt psychology or gestaltism (German: Gestalt - "form" or "whole") of the Berlin School is a theory of mind and brain positing that the operational principle of the brain is holistic, parallel, and analog, with self-organizing tendencies, or that the whole is different from the sum of its parts. The Gestalt effect refers to the form-forming capability of our senses, particularly with respect to the visual recognition of figures and whole forms instead of just a collection of simple lines and curves. In psychology, gestaltism is often opposed to structuralism and Wundt. Often, the phrase "The whole is greater than the sum of the parts" is used when explaining Gestalt theory.

What does a theory concerning the operation of the brain have to do with evaluating a logical argument?

Also, not like this is related to logical arguments at all, but not every whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Some wholes are just the sum of their parts.

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2009 12:02 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;99878 wrote:
What does a theory concerning the operation of the brain have to do with evaluating a logical argument?

kennethamy

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2009 12:02 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;99877 wrote:

Thank you. But I know that Gestalt psychology is. Has that anything to do with the issue?

Zetherin

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2009 12:03 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;99880 wrote:

What does telling me things have a context have to do with evaluating a logical argument, or even the brain theory you just linked me to? :surrender:

Sorry, buddy, I'm really not following you at all.

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2009 12:12 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;99882 wrote:
What does telling me things have a context have to do with evaluating a logical argument, or even the brain theory you just linked me to? :surrender:

Sorry, buddy, I'm really not following you at all.

Relativity would, if your clever enough, explain you why, as Hegel and dialectics would, as Taoism...etcaetara and so on...

The identity of one given thing is the result of the influx of all the others to witch it can relate directly or indirectly...

...in a given Universe 1 of 5 is not like 1 of 10 in another...its identity as a number depends on its position/relation with the Whole...in fact is a result of it !...and this is the very notion of ORDER itself...necessarily, 1 of 5 would be a 2, in a 1 of 10 Universe...

More:

The same Idea would probably explain you why the second law of thermodynamics is wrong...you know, the one about entropy increasing...

Quote:
Holism (from ὅλος holos, a Greek word meaning all, entire, total) is the idea that all the properties of a given system (physical, biological, chemical, social, economic, mental, linguistic, etc.) cannot be determined or explained by its component parts alone. Instead, the system as a whole determines in an important way how the parts behave.
The general principle of holism was concisely summarized by Aristotle in the Metaphysics: "The whole is more than the sum of its parts" (1045a10).
Reductionism is sometimes seen as the opposite of holism. Reductionism in science says that a complex system can be explained by reduction to its fundamental parts. For example, the processes of biology are reducible to chemistry and the laws of chemistry are explained by physics.

Link: Holism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pangloss

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2009 12:20 pm
@Shostakovich phil,
I think, rather than turn this thread into a discussion on how best to invalidate a logical argument, we should give the OP the courtesy of some more direct responses, resulting from a careful read of his material. If his logic doesn't hold up, it doesn't hold up, but we don't need to discuss this if we don't know whether it holds up due to not reading the material.

I've read through most of the argument, just briefly, and it appears that there are a couple of things that do not necessarily follow...or where we need elaborated definitions. But I won't be able to properly respond until I spend more time reading it...not sure if I'll have the time.

Also, to the OP, I did find this argument posted on theologyweb.com, though it has more material. Are you the same author listed for the material on this site, and why did you choose not to post the entire piece?

Thanks.

Aedes

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2009 12:46 pm
@Shostakovich phil,
Shostakovich;99779 wrote:
From the preface to Kant's CPR [just before the Introduction]:

"Few only have the pliability of intellect to take in the whole of a system, if it is new
Yes, but your system is not new.

And Kant had the hubris to generalize about the "pliability of intellect" of humanity without ever meeting humanity as he sat in his armchair barely leaving his writing desk his entire life.

Shostakovich;99779 wrote:
When I first listened to Beethoven's symphonies I nitpicked at them, taking a brief listen to pieces here and there; and I quickly formed the opinion that Bethoven's symphonies were trash.
The logic of a piece of music is unrelated to the logic of a philosophical treatise. Oh, and I thought that the chamber music and symphonies of Shostakovich were outstanding even just listening to a phrase here or a movement there.

Shostakovich phil

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2009 12:52 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;99865 wrote:
But logical arguments are not a matter of opinion, they are a matter of logic. Picking apart logical arguments piece by piece is not a worthless endeavor; in fact, it is the most worthwhile endeavor. It is how you can see if the argument is even valid in the first place, nevermind sound.

Would you like us to evaluate your work based on logical coherency and validity, or would you like us to evaluate your work based on personal opinion and feeling (like one would, with say, a piece of music)?

First attempt to grasp the argument as a whole.

That way, I think it would be easier to see if and where the flaws lie.

If there is a weakness in the argument it will come not from picking away at it, like a crow; but by seeing where the major flaw is.

My claim is that the argument is philosophically sound, from its premise to its conclusion, and I'm prepared to defend it as such.

Matters of opinion have nothing to do with the matter, if the argument is objectively valid, which I also claim.

The music analogy I think is appropriate because it shows for me, based upon my personal experience, that a person can fool themselves into believing something is true (Beethoven's symphonies are trash), even though they haven't grasped the whole, which if they had would have led them to another truth (Beethoven's symphonies are masterpieces). The same apples not only to music, but practically to anything in life, and certainly this is true with philosophy, and philosophical systems, and maybe even moreso. That's why I took the time to quote Kant. His critical philosophy is still the subject of mass misunderstanding. To understand it, one has to grasp the whole; but I constantly see the same thing repeated over and over ... people/including academics, completely glossing over Kant's fundamental intention: What was it?

It was this: "How can we get speculative philosophers to raise metaphysics to the level of a science (an a priori system of principles and reasoning that can be seen as being universally true)?"

Kant's philosophy points us in the right direction. That's its whole, underlying purpose.

Here, I claim my argument fits Kant's critical demands. Why?

Because, had anyone else looked for the answers to same question my Causal Argument addresses, they would find the same answer. The answer is there to be found. Had I not put forth the argument, someone else would have put forth the very same argument; though they might have put it forth in their style, as opposed to mine.

kennethamy

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2009 01:01 pm
@Pangloss,
Pangloss;99885 wrote:
I think, rather than turn this thread into a discussion on how best to invalidate a logical argument, we should give the OP the courtesy of some more direct responses, resulting from a careful read of his material. If his logic doesn't hold up, it doesn't hold up, but we don't need to discuss this if we don't know whether it holds up due to not reading the material.

I've read through most of the argument, just briefly, and it appears that there are a couple of things that do not necessarily follow...or where we need elaborated definitions. But I won't be able to properly respond until I spend more time reading it...not sure if I'll have the time.

Also, to the OP, I did find this argument posted on theologyweb.com, though it has more material. Are you the same author listed for the material on this site, and why did you choose not to post the entire piece?

Thanks.

I really do not know what a "logical argument" is. But in case it means, "valid argument", how could a valid argument be invalidated?

Zetherin

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2009 01:10 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;99897 wrote:
I really do not know what a "logical argument" is. But in case it means, "valid argument", how could a valid argument be invalidated?

It essentially just means a deductive or inductive argument. That's all that's meant by "logical argument".

You're right, though, I think the term can be misleading.

Pangloss

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2009 01:35 pm
@Shostakovich phil,
Right, Zetherin. And there are all sorts of 'logical arguments' that can be found to be either invalid (the logic does not follow) or unsound (based on a false premise).

kennethamy;99897 wrote:
But in case it means, "valid argument", how could a valid argument be invalidated?

Surely you aren't suggesting that I wrote something so absurd...are you actually interested in this thread at all, or just posting here for the hell of it?

This type of discussion would be better suited for a thread in the logic section, as it still really has nothing to do with this thread. If you guys want to pick apart the logic in the OP, nothing's stopping you, let's have it.

kennethamy

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2009 03:16 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;99900 wrote:
It essentially just means a deductive or inductive argument. That's all that's meant by "logical argument".

You're right, though, I think the term can be misleading.

Then is any argument (inductive or deductive) logical? Even if it is a fallacious argument?

Aedes

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2009 05:31 pm
@Shostakovich phil,
Shostakovich;99894 wrote:
The music analogy I think is appropriate because it shows for me, based upon my personal experience, that a person can fool themselves into believing something is true even though they haven't grasped the whole
A logical "proof" lives or dies as a proof based on its constituent parts. A work of art may or may not.

There is indeed a musicality to language. Take Hamlet -- it is a work of extraordinary aesthetic power, not to mention philosophical and psychological brilliance. You need to read (or better see) the whole thing to get that.

Of course Hamlet is a work of fiction. It's not true. And your sublime mental exercise that you've posted above can be proved untrue as long as any individual point is untrue.

Zetherin

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2009 05:37 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;99934 wrote:
Of course Hamlet is a work of fiction. It's not true. And your sublime mental exercise that you've posted above can be proved untrue as long as any individual point is untrue.

But it doesn't mean we can't appreciate it for its literary qualities (like Hamlet) - which is why I asked him how he wants us to evaluate his work.

kennethamy wrote:
Then is any argument (inductive or deductive) logical? Even if it is a fallacious argument?

Ken, I really don't want to derail this thread any longer. Take it somewhere else and I'll respond.

OP: I'm very sorry about all of these posts unrelated to your work. I understand I've played a part in this, and if you'd like, just ask the moderators to remove or move anything that you feel is derailing your thread. Thanks for your understanding, and I apologize once again.

Aedes

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2009 06:36 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;99940 wrote:
OP: I'm very sorry about all of these posts unrelated to your work. I understand I've played a part in this, and if you'd like, just ask the moderators to remove or move anything that you feel is derailing your thread. Thanks for your understanding, and I apologize once again.
I have to disagree with this.

If he wants to publish a long tome on whatever topic, he can use the blogs. If he's going to post an "argument" in the metaphysics forum, and this argument is longer than Proust's Remembrance of Things Past, then it's ridiculous to expect forum members to read this entire thing in order to participate -- and frankly I reserve the right to critique it however I choose. It's a discussion forum. That's not derailing it.

Pangloss

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2009 07:16 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;99961 wrote:

If he wants to publish a long tome on whatever topic, he can use the blogs. If he's going to post an "argument" in the metaphysics forum, and this argument is longer than Proust's Remembrance of Things Past, then it's ridiculous to expect forum members to read this entire thing in order to participate -- and frankly I reserve the right to critique it however I choose. It's a discussion forum. That's not derailing it.

Yet, you've critiqued absolutely nothing in his actual argument. All of the criticism here has only to do with his third sentence, which is not really an argument, but a request; that people will read the entirety of his argument before offering constructive criticism. Surely we all know that an argument hast to progress logically, and one illogical part of the entire work is enough to negate the rest of what he is saying. But in the interest of adhering to a simple request, there's no reason to just nitpick for the sake of nitpicking. And, this seems to be what's been going on here for the last couple of pages-- nitpicking the OP's request that people read his entire argument.

You're right, it's ridiculous to expect most members to read such a long post and offer intelligent criticism. But the ones who choose to do so can, and the ones who don't choose to do so can move along to another thread. What's so hard about this? Check out some of the other arguments made in this metaphysics forum, and then spend five minutes reading this one...at the very least, you have to admit that this one has much more thought put into it than most of the rest. Are you saying it doesn't belong here, but should be put into a blog instead? Why?

This thread has been derailed by needless nitpicking, and I'm still waiting to see some intelligent criticism here, as I guess I'm one of the few following the thread who's genuinely interested in the argument. I'd suggest that if you aren't genuinely interested, or if it's too long for you to read, then just find another thread to post in. :sarcastic:

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/16/2024 at 09:45:13