Causal Argument, Introduction

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Shostakovich phil

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2009 07:30 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;99940 wrote:
OP: I'm very sorry about all of these posts unrelated to your work. I understand I've played a part in this, and if you'd like, just ask the moderators to remove or move anything that you feel is derailing your thread. Thanks for your understanding, and I apologize once again.

The posts I think are related, but I'd prefer direct criticism regardless of whether or not the whole is understood. At least, I can respond to why I think the criticism misses something, or maybe even if it's relevant.

I prefer a criticism that has the power to demolish the argument.

If one's not forthcoming, so much more power to the argument.

I will also defend the argument against any assault, minor or major, as long as I have the time.

The argument is consistent from beginning to end. Enough beating about the bush. But I like the gestalt thing. Now, go to it.

Zetherin

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2009 07:32 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;99961 wrote:
I have to disagree with this.

If he wants to publish a long tome on whatever topic, he can use the blogs. If he's going to post an "argument" in the metaphysics forum, and this argument is longer than Proust's Remembrance of Things Past, then it's ridiculous to expect forum members to read this entire thing in order to participate -- and frankly I reserve the right to critique it however I choose. It's a discussion forum. That's not derailing it.

You reserve the right to critique it however you choose, but none of us here (excluding a select few) have really critiqued anything at all concerning the actual argument. The part you quoted was in the first paragraph of the preface, if I'm not mistaken (and I've been doing a lot worse than you with side discussions). So, if his intention for this thread was to have his argument critiqued, how are we not derailing it by having these tangential discussions which may or may not have anything to do with his actual argument at all? Of course, this all depends on how the OP feels, doesn't it?

Aedes

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2009 07:33 pm
@Pangloss,
Pangloss;99971 wrote:
Yet, you've critiqued absolutely nothing in his actual argument.
I would have if he weren't going to make a big deal about this prescriptive disclaimer of his. It's actually getting in the way of offering a meaningful response.

Pangloss;99971 wrote:
You're right, it's ridiculous to expect most members to read such a long post and offer intelligent criticism. But the ones who choose to do so can, and the ones who don't choose to do so can move along to another thread. What's so hard about this?... I'd suggest that if you aren't genuinely interested, or if it's too long for you to read, then just find another thread to post in. :sarcastic:
Fair enough, good point.

Pangloss

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2009 07:40 pm
@Shostakovich phil,
Well, I don't think he did make a big deal out of his simple request to read the argument in full before criticizing it. Everyone else here has made the big deal out of it.

All I'm going to say here further on this matter, is that I think if you're going to criticize the original post, you should at least have the courtesy to read what he has posted, and not just nitpick an opening request, as if it has any real bearing on the argument as a whole.

I'm trying to formulate a response here, if I can work through the whole thing, though I'm not sure if my knowledge of Kant's original argument is enough to fully understand the OP's response. I'll be waiting and watching for intelligent responses of others in the mean time...

Pathfinder

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2009 08:21 pm
@Shostakovich phil,
Shost,

As you can see, and which you were already prepared to confront, and which you desperately tried to evade with your particular cautionary preface to your post, this is the way that most of the discussions end up in virtually every thread in this forum. I am personally embarrassed by this to be honest with everyone, but I have been here long enough to accept it as part of the media. There are many here who are not really at a level to attempt the degree that some of these topics require, and their posts make that obvious, and the name of mod in their sig does not mean that they meet that degree, as I have learned as well, not meant at you personally Aedes, just that I have seen that in others.

I am certainly nobody to criticizing anyone else for grandeur or intellect, I come with no credentials whatsoever compared to some of the people in here. But I also know that all the stored reading in the library or lessons taught in the universities is not what makes a great mind. There are some pretty addle brained professors out there who can recite their books of study by heart and haven't got a clue when it comes to wisdom or logic rationale.

The wisdom to be applied here is not in expecting posts to be short enough to keep someone's attention, but in allowing someone the opportunity to be captivated by someone else's words regardless of how long it takes for you to be kept attracted.

I realize that many times long posts go unread. But what about those who actually do want to take the time to because they have been captivated and intrigued? If the opportunity is given, and someone takes the time to put the material out there, than why not? It's there for those who are interested, and those that are not can move on.

The wrong course of action here is exactly as shown; to take a great discussion made available by the OP and get completely lost from the subject by bickering over something unrelated.

The topic is actually whether or not Shost has answered Kant's challenge. The subtopic could be a discussion about a critique of his claim and/or a discussion at least about the subject brought into light by the claim which is intelligent design.

Please, lets return to the subject ladies and gentleman.

BrightNoon

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2009 11:38 pm
@Pathfinder,
Shostakovich,

I'm looking at your work now, but I'll probably give it a few days of consideration before I make any response. It is interesting thus far.

So philosophers don't put forth systems these days? I would contend that that is because we have a shortage of proper philosophers; keep up the good work! Smile

I myself have been working on a system for almost three years now, and I'm very young so actually this represents a pretty significant fraction of my life. It can be a source of great pride and mind-numbing frustration. I can never be satisfied, not even with a paragraph: always editing and rearranging concepts. I wonder if you could tell us a bit about the process of creating this work of yours, and also the motivation behind it?

Thanks

Shostakovich phil

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 12:23 am
@BrightNoon,
BrightNoon;100010 wrote:
Shostakovich,

So philosophers don't put forth systems these days? I would contend that that is because we have a shortage of proper philosophers; keep up the good work! Smile

I myself have been working on a system for almost three years now, and I'm very young so actually this represents a pretty significant fraction of my life. It can be a source of great pride and mind-numbing frustration. I can never be satisfied, not even with a paragraph: always editing and rearranging concepts. I wonder if you could tell us a bit about the process of creating this work of yours, and also the motivation behind it?

Thanks

You're entirely right about the shortage of proper philosophers. I think academia has taken over, and what passes for philosophy these days is not really philosophy ... but I'm old fashioned.

The process of formulating the Causal Argument was a 30 year long process. I began it at as a teenager, after some inspiration which I won't mention ... but upon picking up Kant's CPR in a local library, I knew what the book was all about before actually opening it. Everything I've read since then has confirmed my initial, intuitive feelings about the work; and sometimes a feeling can be much stronger than any number of words or any number of degrees that you might earn in college or university.

The motivation behind the CA is quite simple: I wanted to know why the universe exists. I wasn't prepared to accept that I couldn't answer the question of how it came to exist. I knew I would find not just an answer, but 'the' answer; but I call this one and only solution to the question an argument, because it's only a claim on my part that it's the one and only possible answer. Latent here then is a challenge to the readers of the argument: If you don't think it's the one and only answer, then come up with a better answer that completely refutes and overturns this argument. There is no other answer out there that follows a similarly strict, straightforward, logical line of reasoning ... and there certainly is no other answer out there that falls in line with Kant's critical demands for a science of metaphysics.

As for the writing of the argument ... I have another book on writing on my shelf, wherein the author's contributing article is: "Writing is Rewriting."

That's what I've spent the last 30/35 years doing.

Someone once told me, when I first began this treck, talking from his own experience: "When I was young I never knew how far away the horizon was."

And I'm still trying to get there. I think I've learned to write better simply after so many years tackling Kant, and my best marks in university were always in my essays; so that in itself was worthwhile; so my advice for anyone aspiring to do the same thing you're doing: Never give up the fight. It's a battle that has to be won on two fronts ... one battle you wage within yourself ... the other, with the words you put on the page.

Khethil

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 06:26 am
@Shostakovich phil,
Shostakovich,

I wasn't going to comment on this, but I see your honest request for criticism and critique and the inevitable subsequent thread-departures and can't help but empathize. I've been studying various philosophies for an awful long time; and although I can be theologically called an atheist (for I have no positive belief), epistemologically I lay no claim to absolute knowledge and therefore must accept that a first cause is indeed possible. Of this, I have no qualms.

I've read your argument through twice. My Critique, which I offer per your request, follows.

To the Positive:

• Your arguments - well, your compilation, since none of these are new - stand on solid ground in terms of their flow. I find no overall basis for disputing them.

• For the most part, they support quite well our acceptance of a first-cause possibility, though not much of an intelligent nature (although that might indeed be the case).

• Using familiar themes and eons-old trains of human thought, they speak VERY loud and clear one very familiar theme: We don't know it all. But again, we already knew this

• Between your lines I sense a personal "shoring up", as if someone wrote about each thought-step as they occurred. This might be the greatest worth in your endeavor; namely, the worth to you personally. Doing so helps clarify thought-trains within the mind and codifies the blur-of-thought for later reference. I too have written such things; some were flops while others received a better response. The point is: Such works often have the greatest benefit to the person writing, as a framework for examination, rather than of great enlightenment to others. Don't feel dissuaded if such is the case.

To the Negative:

• If such could be called negative, again I'd say none of this is new. My personal assessment is that it is irrational for anyone to conclude, with absolute surety (i.e., try and argue), that no first-cause is possible at all. This, my initial impression (that of banality) stands.

• Your writing is jumbled. Some sections flow within themselves yet don't transition to the next (or have no thought-transition from the previous). Again, in this, I sense an over-time/by-block construction. Reading through aloud, looking specifically at thought-and-word flow, might be helpful

• And I'd echo what's been already said: Any argument or theory that's placed out for critique must necessarily have it's constituent elements open to dispute; that's the nature of the beast. Yes it opens up a pandora's box, and yes - one should grasp the entire message before doing so. Even so, it's a necessity.

I also get the impression you want argument, as if such a thing could be built up to the point - perfected, strengthened and honed - so as to stave off any sort of attack. To what end? No argument is flawless, no postulation is beyond some measure of rational dispute and no matter how concrete one believes any statement is; it can always be chipped away at by those feeling the inclination.

So, though I doubt this is the type of response/critique you'd had in mind, I nonetheless appreciate the solicitation for comment. As a parting thought, I'd like to share with you a thought that your argument did evoke. I offer this in the hopes that it does not divert from this thread's main purpose, only to share something it, itself, spawned:[INDENT] Gather us at the same time and place, and let us point, look and discuss the immediate events taking place; that car, those birds, the sound of the water nearby and we'll likely agree. In that time and place we collectively have enough sensory and rational immediacy for great agreement. Then, let's turn and talk about yesterday about the house down the road - we're disconnected by time and distance. We might yet still come to some agreement on what was, over there, yet our available knowledge, ability to rationally know and epidemiological tank is drier. Once done, let's try what you did: Evaluate the 'what ifs' on a process/series of events that took place 14 billion years ago at a distance so vast, its beyond human comprehension.

How well might we do in mentally replicating what took place? How much might we agree? Further, what relevance/import might such a thing have on our lives in this time and in this place?
[/INDENT]Good luck, I hope this helps in some small way and I wish you fortune and insight towards whatever ends you seek.

Cheers

Shostakovich phil

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 04:47 pm
@Khethil,
Khethil;100054 wrote:
Shostakovich,

To the Negative:

• If such could be called negative, again I'd say none of this is new. My personal assessment is that it is irrational for anyone to conclude, with absolute surety (i.e., try and argue), that no first-cause is possible at all. This, my initial impression (that of banality) stands.
Not sure exactly what this means. Are you with the impression that I am arguing against the possibiity of a First Cause. Actually, in the CA I am arguing for a First Cause. This is stipulated in the Causal Principle, defined by the A and B representations. The Absolute that is, is the First Cause, and what comes out of the causal process at the end of the series, driven by B in its movement and obtaining to A, is: An Absolute, Supreme Mind able to govern and shape the mass (X) that was generated through the operation of the series.

... As a parting thought, I'd like to share with you a thought that your argument did evoke. I offer this in the hopes that it does not divert from this thread's main purpose, only to share something it, itself, spawned:
[INDENT]Gather us at the same time and place, and let us point, look and discuss the immediate events taking place; that car, those birds, the sound of the water nearby and we'll likely agree. In that time and place we collectively have enough sensory and rational immediacy for great agreement. Then, let's turn and talk about yesterday about the house down the road - we're disconnected by time and distance. We might yet still come to some agreement on what was, over there, yet our available knowledge, ability to rationally know and epidemiological tank is drier. Once done, let's try what you did: Evaluate the 'what ifs' on a process/series of events that took place 14 billion years ago at a distance so vast, its beyond human comprehension.

How well might we do in mentally replicating what took place? How much might we agree? Further, what relevance/import might such a thing have on our lives in this time and in this place?
[/INDENT]This is the great difficulty, is it not?

Philosophers and those interested in philosophy (speaking of those who impose no limits on philosophy) provide the best possible forum for discussing such matters, however remote.

The argument provides a solution to Kant. You did not mention anything in this regard, but I am not sure how familiar you are with Kant. The CA provides a science of metaphysics in line with Kant's critical demands; and as such, it would be of primary interest to Kantians who do not think it is possible to answer Kant. As an a priori system of principles it is also unprecedented, even though familiar concepts like cause and effect are employed. In this argument they are employed differently in that an a priori relation between cause and effect is explained. It is not merely talk about a possible relation or an impossibiity of any such relation, it is a demonstration of such a relation. But it is still a philosophical argument to this effect ... and opponents/critics of the argument might base their refuation of their argument on attacking the claim that a priori proof of such a relation has been given.

If I were to look at the argument objectively, from the standpoint of someone who wanted to take the most critical view possible, I would aim my critique at the premise, and the notion that the B representation follows from the A representation; and I would argue, as has been argued elsewhere in this forum, that only nothing follows from nothing; and I would attack the use of the terms employed, or the definitions given.

Even from this standpoint however, I feel the argument is completely invincible. I am not basing the argument on the premise that 'nothing' existed in the beginning. I'm substituting a critical definition of the notion of the absolute in place of nothing, and beginning the argument from there; and this is where the idea of a First Cause comes into play.

The greatest obstacle of all is as you've pointed out above. How do we wrap our minds/intellect around something that might or might not have happened 15 billion years ago?

This is where the science of big bang cosmology enters the picture. If we credit science as having credible evidence for the big bang, then philosophers/metaphysicians can take this, and go one step further, and carry the regression of time backwards, all the way to its most logical beginning -and here is where Kant enters the picture with his first antinomy. The logic here is not too difficult to follow, even though this is speculation about what might have taken place 15 billion years ago.

When the matter pertains to the question of the ultimate origin of all things, we are necessarily driven to the furthest extreme, but we do have a valuable guide. Our logic and our reasoning, and our ability to dismiss that which makes no sense from that which appers to make sense.

However, I think the greatest obstacle is not the difficulty of finding the answers to such questions as: Where did the universe come from? I think the greatest obstacle of all is the preconceived/conditioned notion that's been driven into practically all of us: That the answer to such a question defies human reason and no one can possibly find the answer even if there is an answer. Hence, even if the answer might be staring us in the face (which I claim it is ... in the Causal Argument), these dark sunglasses that we've been conditioned to look through, will not allow us to see it.

Pathfinder

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 06:27 pm
@Shostakovich phil,
Shost,

Maybe it is now time for a more simplified summary of what you are proposing is a proof of your thesis.

Can you somehow bring this into a summarized explanation that shows exactly how this proves what you claim and exactly what you say you have proven with it?

Shostakovich phil

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 09:44 pm
@Pathfinder,
Pathfinder;100229 wrote:
Shost,

Maybe it is now time for a more simplified summary of what you are proposing is a proof of your thesis.

Can you somehow bring this into a summarized explanation that shows exactly how this proves what you claim and exactly what you say you have proven with it?

Since it is Immanuel Kant who offered the challenge, and I'm answering it: Kant calls for a 'synthetic cognition, a priori.' In his critical philosophy he speaks of a pure philosophical understanding. My pure, and a priori, he means judgments/propositions/principles that are not mixed up with anything empirical (a posteriori judgments).

The Causal Principle is pure, and a priori. It is not grounded upon anything concrete, like an empirical judgment, or proposition. The CP also provides for the premise, which presents a pure relation between the two representions.

Here is where a criticism may be leveled against the argument, but there is no arguing that if we remove out of existence all things to which we attribute existence ... we are left with a total void (it can be called an absolute state, or even non-state). Such a total void also presents a concept of that which is infinite, as we cannot set any arbitrary boundary upon such a state. The first effect proposed is actually the Absolute, looking inward upon itself. Once this happens, we have a concept of a finite awareness, encompassed by the infinite. This is another way of describing/defining the effect: B; which if given, if A is given.

A: First Cause, produces:
B: The effect of a dynamic force of mind (consciousness) moving outward to the infinite.

This is proposed as the most logical beginning to all things.

Why is it the most logical? Because if we begin with some more complex condition, whatever it may be, the question will automatically arise as to the origin of those more complex conditions. Our intuitive sense drives us to question any state, more complex than a total void. Thus, a total void is where we must begin, trusting our intuitive sense.

This avoids the problem of an infinite regress in our questioning. We do not need to beg the question regarding the origin of a total void. There is nothing left to question, except how do we come to terms with such a state in our understanding?

My answer is that we must use critical thinking. We need to analyze what it is we have in mind, when we think of a total void. What must come to mind is the idea of that which can only be defined as an absolute. But the effect then follows, and I've defined it as above.

Now an effect necessarily implies change.

The next step is then: How are we to understand this change?

Further: If the effect produces a change, then does this not negate the first state of relation between cause and effect, that initially made possible the effect?

The answer is: Yes, the effect does negate the state of relation that made it possible. This, however implies only that the effect could only be finite in its extent.

Once the effect dissipated its force with its outward movement, it collapsed back to its originating point; but because the Cause (the Absolute) is constant, the effect would necessarily continue. It would not simply cease. The manner in which it would continue is the next thing to be understood.

It continues through a successive number of stages, all increasing in their intensity, from the first state to the last stage in the series.

The Principle of Divergence explains what this necessary change would have had to entail. If the outward moving dynamic force of mind, moving to the Absolute, produces a change, it could only be a change ... a divergence ... away from the pure form it had before it underwent this change. Consequently, this change could only have been towards a more material form (an increase in its density, its energy, or its original quality, or its pure form, whatever we may designate this form to be ... even if this be pure spirit, which is not an improbably/impossible thing to suggest). Hegel uses pure spirit in his Science of Logic, and also he calls it the pure immediate.

There is here a difficult to grasp conceptual concept. That of a sphere, moving outwards (expanding), and with its expansion, its dissipation of force in proportion to its expansion, and its inevitable cessation. With its cessation, we would have its collpase. This is explained by the X factor which I've introduced to simplify the explanation. X also equals the counterforce to the expansion of B --the dynamic force at the outermost edge of this sphere of expansion. If we try to visualize this, think of the circumference of this sphere, which would necessary follow as having the greatest rate of expansion; and trailing off from this, those divergent forces, with lesser rates of expansion. Then think of this as but one stage within a complete series, wherein each stage increases in its intensity, or force, over the preceding stage. At the outermost edge, there would be a pure force of dynamic energy (whole in its form, as opposed to differentiated); while those forces =X, would by reason of their lesser rates of expansion, trail off into masses of more differentiated forces. This process would continue to a certain critical point, explained by the Principle of Equal Relation.

The PER explains simply that this series would inevitably have reached such a level of intensity that these two opposing forces, B and X, would have reached an extreme, and B would inevitably have separated entirely from X.

At the end of the series we would then have a state wherein there exists:

A) The Absolute
B) A pure, dynamic force of Mind, equal to the Absolute in being a whole, or pure force, undifferentiated, yet intensified to an Absolute extreme force, and existing in perfect balance with:
X) The mass of material forces from which our universe has taken its form; and which can be considered the derivative force, generated by B in its movement to the Absolute.

The Principle of Progressive Design states that B, over the 15 billion years that we're told have elapsed from the beginning of expansion, to our present state, progressed in creative capacity and a greater conscious awareness as it moved to guide X into the intelligent design that we observe in the universe. Here, consciousness is the most complex, more fundamental, most important facet of the universe, and this is because B, as a dynamic force of consciousness, with an Absolute, infinite and pure, or immaterial form (pure spirit), would have the capacity to infuse itself into the material fabric of the universe, and shape it according to its design.

This is a summary of the whole argument and it's about as concise as I can possibly make it.

The proof is a priori. Meaning, the principles are self-evident. If for instance; we say that B, in its expansion, did not necessary produce a change, then we can have nothing in mind with regard to B. If we admit a change, how else are we to explain it, other than a movement away from its initial, pure form? It's not possible. The change explained is the only manner in which the change can be understood, and explained.

With the concept of expansion: How are we to visualize this as something other than an expanding sphere, with a certain circumference, even if it be imaginary? It would naturally have an outer edge, or limit, and this limit would necessarily have a greater rate of expansion over those forces diverging/trailing off from this outermost edge.

The concepts are self-explanatory, and self-evident; and we do not need to perform an experiment to realize their inherent logic and necessity.

This is what is meant by a priori; and this is why Kant insisted, in metaphysics, upon a priori judgments, as opposed to a posteriori judgements -to which no necessity can be attached.

My argument is a self-consistent, synthetic cognition, a priori, from its premise to its conclusion.

There is no other such judgment offered anywhere, in the whole of philosophy; and in short, this Causal Argument is the pure, philosophical equivalent to a pure, mathematical model/theory for the origin of the universe. The advantage of this argument however is that it is not restricted by an empirical method and the limitations imposed upon mathematicians.

While one criticism states the argument is not new, I find this difficult to accept. It is entirely new, but it does utilize the concept of cause and effect, and their necessary relation, but by necessity. How else can one explain what amounts to a causal process?

Criticism, if attempted, should be directed at trying to show that the judgments do not necessarily follow one from the other, and the concepts are not a priori. But this I claim, cannot be done. The system works. And it is the answer to Immanuel Kant. And it does provide for a pure, philosophical understanding of how our universe came to be. It is also universal, in the sense that anyone, if they wanted to find 'the' answer, and pressed themselves hard enough to find it, would inevitably find this very same answer.

salima

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 12:24 am
@Shostakovich phil,
well at the risk of sounding like a fool, i am going to post this comment now before i have a complete understanding in the hopes of turning the thread into some direction that might be helpful. i have to go back and rethink after adding the restatement by shostakovich to my notes, but besides being in the middle of two eye surgeries i have a cold and the antihistamines are knocking me out-so i hope i am making some sense.

I hope this doesnt sound too babyish. is this similar to the phrase I think therefore I am, only impersonally stated? if nothing thinks then nothing is? and if something is, there has to be the thought of it (and the mind) and since nothing cannot be thought of, there always was something...and between the thought of something and the the thought itself will always be a relationship, as will be between any two.

the causal principle,stated in other words; we know there was an earth before there were any people to be thinking of it, so something must have been thinking of it-so there must be a mind which came before the thing it is thinking about. is that the idea? and that if there is a mind it is impossible not to think, so the First Cause is mind and the Effect is the thought and from there:

the Divergence Principle results in mass, space/time and that would be 'being'? A is mind, B is thought, so wouldnt X actually be mass, space/time, or as I would say 'being'?

the principle of equal relation explains the movement from simple to complex and how it follows that it must go back again and I imagine it to be a perpetual state of flux or process going on

the principle of progressive design: so are you saying that X continues on while B goes back to A? not sure I can see how it follows that this would happen...sort of entropy or something? I think I may be getting lost here...this is what you use to support that there is a will or intention behind the thought?

so i think the best part is the beginning that ends the question once and for all what came first, the chicken or the egg controversy. but to me where it gets weak is towards the end when the matter of design comes in...unless i am not following it properly. and i would have to study kant to be able to comment on whether or not you are answering him, but maybe something i said will help...

Pathfinder

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 05:17 am
@Shostakovich phil,
I think salima is thinking along the right lines when she says where nothing is nothing thinks.

My question would be more as a devil's advocate for the sake of promoting right thinking similar to Sailma's thoughts regarding this thesis.

First of all, this Absolute State from which some effect occurs.

Shost I am not debating your speculation, just asking the questions that seem appropriate. I do not have any reason to claim you wrong neither do I have any evidence to support anything that I might think on the matter. So this is all speculative to me.

But isnt it a little too convenient for your thesis to simply devise a starting point for it, this Absolute, from where you begin to move your thesis forward.

It seems that your whole claim is in considering the logic of the momentum from this state of absolute void, as though this state of absolute is the only logical conclusion to begin from, when in fact it is as much a speculative position as any other idea.

Help me to understand your thinking around this.

And if I am obligated to offer my own thinking on the matter in order to be critical, I would simply suggest that my definition of void would not include a point in space or time where an event could occur because a void would have no space or time for anything to take place in. So I am just unclear as to what you mean when you devise this void in your mind.

Maybe you need to be clearer on what you define as a absolute void.

xris

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 06:07 am
@Pathfinder,
Well i have tried and the concept escapes me , not completely, but what i fear is the conclusion, might not be what is intended. Those words keep returning to me, "In the beginning god was the word and the word was god".

Trying to convey the true meaning of nothing or a void and still refer to it as eternal, is or could be the stumbling block. I may be wrong but again my origin of everything from nothing is nearer to what Shosh is attempting to take one step further. If you can conclude that we never had nothing as nothing does not exist, then we only ever had something. That something should have started with something, the question is what was that something? If I have failed Shosh its not for the sake of trying.

Shostakovich phil

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 08:59 pm
@salima,
salima;100246 wrote:

Quote:

so the First Cause is mind and the Effect is the thought and from there:

the Divergence Principle results in mass, space/time and that would be 'being'? A is mind, B is thought, so wouldnt X actually be mass, space/time, or as I would say 'being'?

X is the mass from which the universe has its concrete form, so it is not being, but matter.

Quote:

the principle of equal relation explains the movement from simple to complex and how it follows that it must go back again and I imagine it to be a perpetual state of flux or process going on

the principle of ER is simply the series reaches its extreme limit. At this point B (mind, intensified to its absolute limit) separates from X (mass). At this critical stage the two forces: mind and mass are equal in force.

Quote:

the principle of progressive design: so are you saying that X continues on while B goes back to A? not sure I can see how it follows that this would happen...sort of entropy or something? I think I may be getting lost here...this is what you use to support that there is a will or intention behind the thought?

In generating the series, B, in its movement to A, obtains to A, the Absolute (with which the series initially begins). But the difference is, a mass, equal in force to B, has been generated. As a pure, dynamic force of mind, B has the capacity to shape X according to its will. Hence, the design of the universe we see. The creative capacity of this dynamic force of mind has although I hate to use the word, evolved, over 15 billion years. We can call this dynamic force of mind, for want of a better term: God.

Quote:

so i think the best part is the beginning that ends the question once and for all what came first, the chicken or the egg controversy. but to me where it gets weak is towards the end when the matter of design comes in...unless i am not following it properly. and i would have to study kant to be able to comment on whether or not you are answering him, but maybe something i said will help...

As there is an equal relation between B and X, and B is immaterial, or pure in form (ie: pure spirit), then B has the capacity to infuse itself into X, and shape it, like a master potter shapes clay ... only in this case, B can actually infuse itself into matter and manipulate it at its most fundamental level.

---------- Post added 10-28-2009 at 08:19 PM ----------

Pathfinder;100260 wrote:
Quote:
I think salima is thinking along the right lines when she says where nothing is nothing thinks.

But I'm not beginning from nothing. Kant's first antinomy was grounded on this common sensed presumption, and I've substituted a critical definition of a total void, or an absolute state.

This beginning avoids the impasse of an infinite regress. Begin from some other state, necessarily more complex, and it begs the question: From where did this more complex state originate.

Hence, our logical, intuitive sense compels us to begin with a total void; but we must think of what it is we have in mind when we attempt to visualize such a void. I'm arguing that what we have in mind amounts to an absolute state because it has no arbitrary limitations that we can impose upon it.

Another point: We can call this the simplest of all possible states.

But, it does not amount to nothing. We must throw out the common, practical definition of nothing. It doesn't apply here. We're thinking about an ultimate beginning, and our practical sense must be replaced by critical thinking, critical imagination, or constructive imagination. We are attempting to think of what might have followed from this state; and the only thing I can think of is a simplest of all possibe states of consciousness -an awareness by the Absolute of its own existence; which then becomes a finite consciousness -an effect, which means change, which itself needs further explanation. What is the change?

Quote:

But isnt it a little too convenient for your thesis to simply devise a starting point for it, this Absolute, from where you begin to move your thesis forward.

I admit, it is convenient. But how can we avoid beginning then with a more complex condition that leads to the question of how that condition came to be?

We can't. We must begin with a total void and a total void is an absolute which is as stated above ...

Quote:

It seems that your whole claim is in considering the logic of the momentum from this state of absolute void, as though this state of absolute is the only logical conclusion to begin from, when in fact it is as much a speculative position as any other idea.

It's not as speculative as any other idea if every other idea begs the question: Where did it come from?

We can't avoid an infinite regress in our logic by beginning with certain more easy to explain states.

Quote:

And if I am obligated to offer my own thinking on the matter in order to be critical, I would simply suggest that my definition of void would not include a point in space or time where an event could occur because a void would have no space or time for anything to take place in. So I am just unclear as to what you mean when you devise this void in your mind.

The definition is that of the simplest of all possible states ... not nothing; but the closest approximation to an absolute nothing. The series begins at its simplest possible level and increases in intensity all the way to its inevitable end. Think of it this way then:

The Planck time is 10 to the minus -43 seconds. Since the Planck time, 15 billion years have passed. It's now easy to see what exists. We have the universe and ourselves. At 10 the minus -43 seconds, what was there? A primeval atom with a density approaching the infinite, in which spacetime was squeezed out of existence (a zero state of spacetime with infinite density, is the speculation as to what preceded the Planck time).

Then think of what I'm saying with the series that I propose took place before the big bang ... it had to begin somewhere. It didn't begin with its critical stage, where its mass approached an infinite density, but it began with its most infinitesimal state, wherein its mass was next to non-existent. From there, it intensified through a series of stages. It's not necessary to speculate how many stages. It's just necessary to think of what the concept of an intensifying series suggests.

The criticism is obvious, and natural, because we are dealing with something that will lead us to think that we're dealing with nothing, as just mistakenly assumed by what I've read above. Here, our thinking needs to extend to the furthest possible extreme in order for us to attempt to comprehend the First Cause and the first effect arising from this First Cause. I chose to call it a dynamic force of mind, expanding outwards, towards the infinite. But even this concept requires further analysis.

Quote:

Maybe you need to be clearer on what you define as a absolute void.

The infinite state that exists outside of our universe, or for this matter, any other universes: That state to which we cannot set any arbitrary boundaries. It's an infinite expanse and we cannot think of it as being finite. It is this external Absolute, to which the universe is expanding, and it is expanding to the Absolute because it is driven to by the dynamic force of mind that initiated the series that preceded the big bang.

---------- Post added 10-28-2009 at 08:26 PM ----------

xris;100264 wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Well i have tried and the concept escapes me , not completely, but what i fear is the conclusion, might not be what is intended. Those words keep returning to me, "In the beginning god was the word and the word was god".

Trying to convey the true meaning of nothing or a void and still refer to it as eternal, is or could be the stumbling block.

I can also see this as well. It's the first step to the whole argument, so it's the most difficult; but once taken, the rest of the argument necessarily follows.

What's the impetus for the first step?

The Absolute, as an infinite/eternal/unconditional first state, that always exists and will always continue to exist. The motivation for an intial first effect, to get the series underway, was infinite. Hence, the series was necessary. It could not help but begin, even though at an infinitesimal level.

My logic tells me the series had to be one that intensified from next to nothing (not nothing) and moved to an infinite degree of itensity.

I may be wrong but again my origin of everything from nothing is nearer to what Shosh is attempting to take one step further. If you can conclude that we never had nothing as nothing does not exist, then we only ever had something. That something should have started with something, the question is what was that something? If I have failed Shosh its not for the sake of trying.

It begins with Mind. Mind is the overriding mechanism that has created the concrete universe. We can say that the concrete universe is the physical manifestation and the concentrated essence of this Absolute Mind or Being or Spirit.

Following Pathfinder's request for clarification of what is meant by the Absolute ... how about this: The universe exists and has a form or substance, which, if reduced to its most fundamental, underlying essence, would yield some form that could no longer be divided ... it would be whole, or unified ... and this would constitute that same unified whole from which all things ultimately began ... call this then Absolute spirit, if you will. This is actually what Hegel calls it in his beginning.

This is a quote from Hegel's 'Science of Logic:'

"Whatever element of intellectual intuition is present at the beginning of the science, it cannot be anything but primary, immediate, and simple determination; or, if the object of such intuition is called the eternal or the divine or the absolute, the same applies to whatever of these elements is present in the beginning ... Hence in such a representation a beginning is not made with the concrete, but with the simple immediate when the movement starts. Further, [here is where Hegel addresses the problem of an infinite regress, or an unavoidable begging the question, if we should argue in favour of some more complex condition as our beginning] if a concrete thing is taken as the beginning, there is lacking the proof which is demanded by the complex of determinations contained in the concrete."

Hegel is saying that if we choose a more complex condition as our beginning we will always be driven to ask how that more complex condition itself came to be. What was its Cause? We cannot avoid the question by stating simply: Maybe it had no Cause. This is simply an attempt to evade the question.

Since I'm attempting to answer the question, rather than evade it ... can we then ask what peceded this total void which I argue, is the most logical beginning of all things?

The absolute cannot be said to have a cause. It just is. And it is simple. There are no complexity of determinations in it, but it is infinite. And it is this infinite characteristic that needs to be understood or grasped. How do we grasp it?

The Causal Argument provides the answer, puts it forth as the premise, and the whole argument that follows from this premise, follows necessarily, and a priori.

And in the process, Kant is answered, as per his challenge.

xris

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 04:19 am
@Shostakovich phil,
I can not say what caused the beginning, as I'm not convinced by any argument that attempts to explain what might have caused it to commence. My only reasoning is that it started and there is no before, or any evidence of a before. The idea that a thoughtful being created the universe by thought alone is not impossible but not provable. You have the right to muse on that possibility as any scientific reasoning. You have obviously giving it a lot of thought and for you it is the obvious answer just as a scientist may believe his theory has merit.

It begs the ancient question again, this creator, who exists outside of time, why he created? My reasoning still maintains that there is no such thing as nothing, so we only ever have something, it does not need a cause, its not relevant. We can only ask why we have something instead of nothing? Even if you could discover that the universe was created by the invisible dragon and he was created by the green bog eyed monster, we still have the same question.

Pathfinder

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 05:54 am
@Shostakovich phil,
Xris makes a point.

The beginning could literally be anything that one can imagine.

There are many hypothesis about why man creates the familiar god to be the first cause, including the desire to relate on the human level as well as some theories about alien intervention in earth's historical past.

Trying to begin at a point of origin for the sake of making sense out of it while at the same time evading the chicken before the egg paradox is what this thessis attempts.

It is a valiant effort to rationalize intelligent design, but there is still the need for faith. There is still the need to choose to accept that idea of what was there when nothing else existed.

I would say that this thesis says above all else, that what was there first was Thought. And that existence as we know it is the continuing saga of First Thought. With the twist of trying to get readers to take up the challenge of that line of thinking by changing how they visualize that First Thought to begin with.

To many millions on the planet though, that First Thought is what they call God.

Toi many more of us that First Thought is simply the reality of the universe as some cosmic oneness that encompasses everything in some circular infinity.

And to a few like myself, that First Thought is nothing more than some sort of an intelligent sentience that exists just as creation exists, and is beyond the realm of human comprehension and therefore nothing more than a mysterious unknown waiting to be revealed.

xris

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 06:22 am
@Pathfinder,
We are just vibrations, it started with a vibration and when the vibration stops we and the universe will cease to exist, now that's an incredible thought. It could be claimed that on another level this harmony of vibrations is our contact with each other.

I can imagine the god jehovah and his giant hunting horn, blasting out a deep resonant note that vibrated the universe into existence. Our imagination, holds no barrier to this magnificent event.

Zetherin

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 07:41 am
@Shostakovich phil,
xris wrote:
We are just vibrations, it started with a vibration and when the vibration stops we and the universe will cease to exist, now that's an incredible thought. It could be claimed that on another level this harmony of vibrations is our contact with each other.

But the universe has been here for far longer than the human race has. So, why would you think our contact with one another has anything to do with the innate property (from your theory, vibrations) of existence?

salima

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 07:50 am
@xris,
xris;100452 wrote:

I can imagine the god jehovah and his giant hunting horn, blasting out a deep resonant note that vibrated the universe into existence. Our imagination, holds no barrier to this magnificent event.

that is a theory, xris, to which i subscribe. thoughts themselves are vibrations, dont you think?

but to go back to the beginning of the Causal Argument, what i have underlined in the quote below is what represents mind...but mind can never change, am i right? that is why it is the absolute. why does it have to be reduced to anything? why not leave it alone? ...isnt it actually the thought that would have to be reduced to the most simple, for instance the first thought being 'i am'...?

in other words, there is not really anything like a void because there is mind-but there is a void in the mind, as far as having been reduced to its most simple irreducible thought. so you have shown that there cannot be a mind without thought...and there cannot be a thought without mind. so it seems logical that the mind would be the beginning.

" A) The idea or the concept of a total, or an absolute void [absolute in the sense that the universe and all that it can be said to contain is cancelled out existence] as an ultimately simple, unconditional, indivisible, immutable, and eternally or infinitely boundless state that exists, and cannot be thought of as not existing; and this, only in relation to:

B) The conditional, finite, and subjective, internal thought of A.

Now the immediate difficulty follows that in removing the subjective thought of A from the premise, we are then truly left with nothing at all. That is, if we do not exist, then we cannot think either A or B.
But the removal of our own thinking process from this premise does not remove the necessary, unconditional state of A.
A still remains, and the argument is that if A remains as a necessary condition that can never be thought of as not existing (even with our existence cancelled out), then B is also necessarily given.

So what is implied then, in this reduction, is not a state of nothing, according to the practical, common sensed definition; but rather, a simplest of all possible states, or a state most closely approximating, but never obtaining to what we can call a total, or an absolute void."

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/16/2024 at 09:46:23