Define "being"

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Richardgrant

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 07:53 pm
@Paracelsus,
Being is a state of living in the here and now, where there is no past, future or time, where everything that happens un happens simultainusly. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction created at the same time. I call this living in the real world. Richard

Paracelsus

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 08:30 pm
@Richardgrant,
Richardgrant;75489 wrote:
Being is a state of living in the here and now, where there is no past, future or time, where everything that happens un happens simultainusly. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction created at the same time. I call this living in the real world. Richard

To me what your saying is Being There, great film by the way.

Being is the lived process of perception, observation and action.

The mind defines and categorises according to the mental agenda of the individual.

How we interpret our perceptions of the world is based on our education, social experience, interiority and overall lived experience. Being per see is what we are at the base line of our existence. From thence the project of our being is built up over time as we live and act in the world.

Being is common to all who live, it has classifiable attributes which we as humans share in common. Consciousness is an aspect of Being as Ego/Mind is an aspect of Consciousness.

Richardgrant

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 09:30 pm
@Paracelsus,
My understanding there is no such place as 'there'. What I experience in the material world is a reflection only of Who I Am. The physical world is an idea and the idea is never created, only a reflection is created. I live in a mirror imaged thought wave universe, made up of thought waves of motion. Richard

Fido

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 09:47 pm
@Paracelsus,
Paracelsus;75244 wrote:
How can you say that life is time. Duration is what life occurs in, life flow through and on time, as beings we occupy space in time.

As for being conscious we are conscious all the time of that which is within us and surrounding our physical being.

The meaningful? Well that implies cognition of fact, feelings mind ect. The ability to perceive is part of being.

I do agree with you about the interconnectedness of things, be they ethical ontological and or metaphysical.

I say it because it is true...Time does not give life meaning; but life gives time meaning... It is never a constant... Doing as you wish, time flies...Getting to that point time drags...To youth, having plenty of time, the days of idle drag by in boredom... Nearer the end of life the days fly by like weeds on the cliff you just stepped off... All life is is time... Sprout, grow, flower, breed, seed, die... Learn because it is essential to survival...It marks us as different from all other forms of life that we can hold knowledge from generation to generation...Culture is knowledge...Learn and grow... Keep your eye on the clock, and tell the clock to keep its hands off your soul...

Aedes

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 09:49 pm
@Fido,
Fido;63918 wrote:
Life is time; being for us is life, so being is time
Life is not time.
Being is not life.
Being is not time.

Paracelsus

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 10:06 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;75498 wrote:

Being is not life.

If being is not that which experiences life what is?

Aedes

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 10:07 pm
@Paracelsus,
Paracelsus;75501 wrote:
If being is not that which experiences life what is?
Must existence be confined only to the living??

Paracelsus

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 10:17 pm
@Richardgrant,
Richardgrant;75496 wrote:
My understanding there is no such place as 'there'.

What I experience in the material world is a reflection only of Who I Am.

The physical world is an idea and the idea is never created, only a reflection is created. I live in a mirror imaged thought wave universe, made up of thought waves of motion. Richard

Well we are there in cyberspace or on the net or in the boxes which define the exchange of language which is occurring. Of course their is a time differential between what you write and I reply to and then my rely to you but the here and now as it is, is me currently typing a response.

Sorry this I don't agree with how can what you experience a reflection of what you are. If you wish to shift a gear and speak of the transmigration of the soul, well then but I per see is only a signifier in language. I Am that which I Am was spoken to Moses on the mount. And even if God be it he or she exists well this is still real.

No the physical world is real, these words I type as signifiers are real. If I cut my self I bleed and experience pain.

---------- Post added 07-07-2009 at 02:20 PM ----------

Fido;75497 wrote:
I say it because it is true...Time does not give life meaning; but life gives time meaning... It is never a constant... Doing as you wish, time flies...Getting to that point time drags...To youth, having plenty of time, the days of idle drag by in boredom... Nearer the end of life the days fly by like weeds on the cliff you just stepped off... All life is is time... Sprout, grow, flower, breed, seed, die... Learn because it is essential to survival...It marks us as different from all other forms of life that we can hold knowledge from generation to generation...Culture is knowledge...Learn and grow... Keep your eye on the clock, and tell the clock to keep its hands off your soul...

Duration is that which we exist in. Space is what we occupy. Duration is a perceived experience, yes the perception of duration according to both circumstance and individual.

And as for keeping my eye on the clock forget it, total waste of time.Laughing

---------- Post added 07-07-2009 at 02:25 PM ----------

Aedes;75502 wrote:

Well metaphysically and logically speaking Yes. For the body is flesh.

The spirit on the other hand is not flesh, that is if it exists and is not bound by the laws of the physical universe.

The Gnostics claim that the problems of the universe arose when flesh became matter and duality arose. :devilish:

kennethamy

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2009 12:24 am
@Aedes,
Aedes;75502 wrote:

Chairs exist, but they are not alive (or even dead). But, since "being" is not really a noun, but a philosophically invented noun, I suppose you can say it means, "poached egg" and be right. "Existence" is a different story. To say that something exists is to say that a collection of properties is instantiated, and to say that something does not exist is to say that a collection of properties is not instantiated. ("a collection of properties is instantiated" = "something has those properties").

memester

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2009 12:33 am
@Aedes,
Aedes;63839 wrote:
Being isn't synonymous with time. Time is just a scale by which we measure being.
But aren't the units of said scale merely a comparison to our own being ? A year being "till my next Birthday!" ( AKA "almost forever", to a 6 year old)

That idea becomes more sophisticated later in life - as necessary.
:a-ok:

Fido

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2009 06:23 am
@Aedes,
Aedes;75498 wrote:
Life is not time.
Being is not life.
Being is not time.

Being is meaning...Nothing is that does not mean; but for us, it is time, and it does not matter if you are talking about a single individual or all of humanity... We are on the clock...Get used to it and make the most of it...

---------- Post added 07-07-2009 at 08:39 AM ----------

Aedes;75502 wrote:

Being as we know it is life because through life we know all being... What then, will we know when we know nothing, when the fire of life sliips from our eyes... What do the dead know??? What is being to them....What is being to a piece of meat, or a rock??? We can only define being for all things because we are...Being alive, we assign meaning for find meaning, and the reward for a correct finding is more life....It is the only show in town, but if we do not show up for it, it is not worth the price...

Aedes

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2009 11:04 am
@Fido,
Paracelsus;75506 wrote:
Well metaphysically and logically speaking Yes. For the body is flesh.

The spirit on the other hand is not flesh, that is if it exists and is not bound by the laws of the physical universe.
What is spirit but a psychological abstraction of our self image? We can analyze things that are not real but that we wish were real...

Fido;75579 wrote:
Being is meaning...Nothing is that does not mean
Being is not meaning. Nothing has meaning except that which we feel has meaning.

Fido;75579 wrote:
but for us, it is time, and it does not matter if you are talking about a single individual or all of humanity... We are on the clock...Get used to it and make the most of it...
Time itself does not have meaning. The punctuations in time may or may not. Time is just a dimension, a one-way measuring stick.

Fido;75579 wrote:
Being as we know it is life because through life we know all being...
Through life we also know chocolate. Does that mean that chocolate as we know it is life?

Fido

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2009 11:10 am
@Aedes,
Quote:

Aedes;75662 wrote:
What is spirit but a psychological abstraction of our self image? We can analyze things that are not real but that we wish were real...

Being is not meaning. Nothing has meaning except that which we feel has meaning.

Let's see how well you feel when you're gone.
Quote:

Time itself does not have meaning. The punctuations in time may or may not. Time is just a dimension, a one-way measuring stick.

Through life we also know chocolate. Does that mean that chocolate as we know it is life?

...............................................!

memester

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2009 11:11 am
@Aedes,
Aedes;75662 wrote:

umm...shouldn't that read "Through being we also know chocolate. Doesn't that mean that chocolate as we know it is being ?"
I'll proceed as if correct;

And, of course, the answer is "Yes", particularly as as you added " as we know it".
That's because we "know it" through "being" - as the premise contended.

Paracelsus

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2009 03:24 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;75662 wrote:

I dont think that A Spirit is a psychological abstraction of our self image. First is there a Self? I know that I possess a socially constructed self. But in relation to the interior of my Being, where does the Self fit in?

Also to parcel off the spirit or spiritualism as an aspect of psychology I think is a mistake. Think of Art, for a moment both high low and ethnic and the way it seeks to express that dynamic of the spirit, think Mahler Symphony No2 as an example.

Fido

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2009 07:52 pm
@memester,
memester;75665 wrote:
umm...shouldn't that read "Through being we also know chocolate. Doesn't that mean that chocolate as we know it is being ?"
I'll proceed as if correct;

And, of course, the answer is "Yes", particularly as as you added " as we know it".
That's because we "know it" through "being" - as the premise contended.

If you are my kid; chocolate is being and being is chocolate.... She needs a little help expanding her tastes and her consciousness.... I had acid... All she has is the internet and a cell phone... So little to share and so many ways to share it...

Aedes

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2009 07:59 pm
@Paracelsus,
Paracelsus;75727 wrote:
First is there a Self?
You would have a self if you'd never seen another person in your life. You'd know the difference between you and the air, or the ground, or the trees.

Paracelsus;75727 wrote:
Also to parcel off the spirit or spiritualism as an aspect of psychology I think is a mistake.
I didn't say anything about spiritualism. I was talking about the spirit.

Paracelsus;75727 wrote:
Think of Art, for a moment both high low and ethnic and the way it seeks to express that dynamic of the spirit, think Mahler Symphony No2 as an example.
Yes, one of my favorite pieces of music, and I know it very well. Spirituality and spiritualism, as evinced by human passions and human passionate pursuits, does not depend in the slightest on whether the spirit is a metaphysical entity or whether it's a psychological construct -- because spirituality is born of how we feel about the spirit -- whatever it is.

Paracelsus

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2009 08:01 pm
@Fido,
Fido;75798 wrote:
. I had acid... .

So? Does that make a difference to your perception of the world and of being?

Fido

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2009 08:03 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;75662 wrote:

Justice does not have meaning...Love does not have meaning... Space does not have meaning... Nothing not having a direct affect on our lives has more meaning than we give to it...Time only has meaning to us because it equates to life... Time is life, life is being... When I was not too good to pay for it, one told me that all I bought was time...The same is true of every one of God's children... You think you bought a life... All you got is time...

Aedes

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2009 08:16 pm
@Fido,
Fido;75806 wrote:
Time only has meaning to us because it equates to life
Time does not equate to life.

Fido wrote:
All you got is time...
We have everything except time. Time may be the only thing that has no meaning at all.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/03/2024 at 03:05:43