Define "being"

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

boagie

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 10:56 am
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
Well, self is bounded by our skins, but our personalities may be quite expansive...

Fido,Smile

You may be right there, it is an intriguing thing to ponder. Is it identity or the self which cannot be separated from object, when identity is separated from the world as object due to a memory loss, the self is untouched, and identity formation begins all over again with the continued experience of the world as object.

boagie

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 11:04 am
@Patty phil,
Patty wrote:
this would be the strictest definition of being.

Being - is that which exists.

I know it might sound ridiculous. :sarcastic:

Patty:)

Not at all, what was it Einstein said,

Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler.
Sometimes it takes a bit of courage to speak out and say the king has no clothes.

Patty phil

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 11:48 pm
@boagie,
boagie wrote:

Sometimes it takes a bit of courage to speak out and say the king has no clothes.

Ah really?:lol:Well, I Didn't know that. Surprised

Paracelsus

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2009 12:56 am
@Fido,
Fido;50716 wrote:
If you are ever with a child from birth, and you try to think back to a time when they were ever not themselves you will fail... They are all personality from birth...That is one of the reason they are so impossible to change...They are already complete, perhaps as us, in their own eyes, perfect...

What about the concept of personal growth and development I was not complete as a child, within me their existed the potential to become what I am now but that by no means states that the human condition is fully developed at birth.

Personality, isn't that a function of Ego? And doesn't the Ego change through the years?

You comments ignore the possibility of the impact of knowledge, insight and wisdom upon the becoming of the human. We live we grow, we grow we develop, we develop we change.

boagie

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2009 01:40 am
@Paracelsus,
YO!Smile

Is the ability to experience an emergent quality of animate being, not being itself, there is no identity without context/environment, so what is that essence which is coming to be, realized potentials would be personality and identity, but what is it before that, some would say that it is the self, and some say there is no self, for without identity or personality all one would be is energy and the warring principalities of our organ systems, which would constitute a temperment. Is not life coming to be, yet never to be as in a finished product, coming to be and then fading away, the source of all our sorrows temporality.

Fido

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2009 10:54 pm
@Paracelsus,
Paracelsus wrote:
What about the concept of personal growth and development I was not complete as a child, within me their existed the potential to become what I am now but that by no means states that the human condition is fully developed at birth.

Personality, isn't that a function of Ego? And doesn't the Ego change through the years?

You comments ignore the possibility of the impact of knowledge, insight and wisdom upon the becoming of the human. We live we grow, we grow we develop, we develop we change.

I know it is crazy, but table Raza is nonsense... It does not matter what a kid knows... They seem well enough equiped to learn, but they also have a sense of where they leave off and the world begins... Whether a child is friendly or fearful, cranky or happy, adventurous or shy, in a word personality, or perhaps, attitude, is exactly the way they are born...You can educate a child no more than they will be educated...You can change them so little, even when they believe your effect on their lives was profound, that it is like changing a mirror in a mansion... They are so complete that it is simply amazing.... Its like a car...You get it, and it is complete... You can add gas and drive it around... You can abuse it or take care of it...You can take it places and it will take you places...But nothing can ever stop you and it from going you own ways some day...

Fido

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2009 10:55 pm
@boagie,
boagie wrote:

True, but Einstein does not exist, because for us, being is living...

boagie

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 10:49 am
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
True, but Einstein does not exist, because for us, being is living...

Fido,Smile

"There has never been a man who lived in the past, nor will there ever be a man who will live in the future," Schopenhauer. Life is limited to the here and now, to eturnity you might say. Einstein spoke within the moment now, and you understand within the moment now, only the forms are temporal, not the ground/field upon which they rest. "Eturnity is in love with the productions of time," William Blake

dizzy phil

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2009 12:26 pm
@saiboimushi,
Being is being aware that you are wherever you perceive yourself to be. If you were not conscious of being wherever you found yourself you would not be.

Fido

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2009 12:38 pm
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
Fido,Smile

"There has never been a man who lived in the past, nor will there ever be a man who will live in the future," Schopenhauer. Life is limited to the here and now, to eturnity you might say. Einstein spoke within the moment now, and you understand within the moment now, only the forms are temporal, not the ground/field upon which they rest. "Eturnity is in love with the productions of time," William Blake

I like Schopenhauer...I was sort of a stinker of a human being as many pehilosophers are; but very correct in some of his observation...Dead people live in the past...I don't want to be one of them...The first month's rent will break you...

Fido

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2009 12:41 pm
@dizzy phil,
dizzy wrote:
Being is being aware that you are wherever you perceive yourself to be. If you were not conscious of being wherever you found yourself you would not be.

Being is being aware...That is a good place to stop...Being is meaning too... To be aware of the meaning you must be aware...

dizzy phil

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2009 01:00 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
Being is being aware...That is a good place to stop...Being is meaning too... To be aware of the meaning you must be aware...

Do you refer to the meaning of being aware?

I guess that you are being and should find contentment in your awareness of being because if you are aware then you exist and you are here being and if you are being then you can never not be.

To be or not to be is not the question. You either are or you are not with no questions that need to be asked.

Fido

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2009 01:20 pm
@saiboimushi,
All the meaning we find in the stuff of life is the meaning life allows us to see...If meaning is value we value that most which feeds our lives...But we cannot expect the stuff of life to mean beyond our ability, which is our individual life, to be aware of it....Look at all we give meaning to which we can prove no being to... Clearly, for us meaning is the essential of being... Much exists without having meaning to us...Much means without being as far as can be shown, and to these thingsl like god and virtue and truth, we give the greatest part of our time, and much of our money and energy too...

dizzy phil

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2009 01:32 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
But we cannot expect the stuff of life to mean beyond our ability

If something is beyond our ability, then surely that something would not be apart of the 'stuff ' that constitutes our life, so we would expect nothing.

If we expect nothing then we are content. We are just simply being.

What did you mean exactly?

Fido

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2009 01:59 pm
@dizzy phil,
dizzy wrote:
If something is beyond our ability, then surely that something would not be apart of the 'stuff ' that constitutes our life, so we would expect nothing.

If we expect nothing then we are content. We are just simply being.

What did you mean exactly?

Read past the comma, the ability which is our life...Sans le life, sans le meaning....

Lost phil

Reply Mon 18 May, 2009 09:18 pm
@nameless,
"being" is the time before you were born and after you die. Conciousness is in essence a prison that keeps one from "being". Why? I do not know but i sure love the taste of Doritos.

Fido

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 05:34 am
@Lost phil,
Lost wrote:
"being" is the time before you were born and after you die. Conciousness is in essence a prison that keeps one from "being". Why? I do not know but i sure love the taste of Doritos.

Dorito flavor is brain poison, and how can this possibly be known???

Aedes

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 08:06 am
@Lost phil,
Lost wrote:
"being" is the time...
Being isn't synonymous with time. Time is just a scale by which we measure being.

Lost wrote:
Conciousness is in essence a prison that keeps one from "being".
Being only matters because we're conscious.

Fido

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 04:49 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
Being isn't synonymous with time. Time is just a scale by which we measure being.

Life is time; being for us is life, so being is time...I would say also that being is meaning, and of course, meaning and consciousness are hard to distinguish from each other since when we are conscious it is only of the meaningful that we are normally conscious...

I know the desire in philosophy is to say this is that, and not the other... However much I try to find the difference between moral forms, like life, and say, virtue, I often find the connectedness between all things...

Paracelsus

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 12:03 am
@Fido,
Fido;63918 wrote:
Life is time; being for us is life, so being is time...I would say also that being is meaning, and of course, meaning and consciousness are hard to distinguish from each other since when we are conscious it is only of the meaningful that we are normally conscious...

I know the desire in philosophy is to say this is that, and not the other... However much I try to find the difference between moral forms, like life, and say, virtue, I often find the connectedness between all things...

How can you say that life is time. Duration is what life occurs in, life flow through and on time, as beings we occupy space in time.

As for being conscious we are conscious all the time of that which is within us and surrounding our physical being.

The meaningful? Well that implies cognition of fact, feelings mind ect. The ability to perceive is part of being.

I do agree with you about the interconnectedness of things, be they ethical ontological and or metaphysical.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/20/2024 at 05:37:10