I THINK therefore I AM

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

richrf

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 09:03 pm
@Zetetic11235,
Zetetic11235;72526 wrote:
Why would dreams not take place in space time? Space time(in the general way it is used outside of mathematics) is pretty much a blanket term for the entirety of being. Dreams are certainly not time independent, since there are events that occur in them in some sequence.

When I am awake I experience three dimensional space and I experience a sense of time passing. I do not have either of these experiences when I am dreaming. It is totally different for me. POP! I am asleep (or so it seems). POP! I am awake. Between those two pops are images, things happening without definitive flow. It is much different from awake.

All people who I talk to will suggest that asleep feels much different than awake. How does the mind change itself? How does the mind get in and out of this state? Maybe my question is too subtle. It is so natural that no one that I have ever read has noticed that it is quite a feat!

Quote:
You are right not to try to pit science against metaphysics. Science intends to circumvent the problems of perception. Metaphysics tries to make these problems into an art.

Science is about observing and measuring. It if is not physically there, science is out of the picture. Ask a scientist to come up with a definition for love? - or any emotion for that matter. I am not asking how it manifests itself in a physical form (e.g. kissing). I am asking what is love. These type of questions are in the realm of metaphysics.

Rich

---------- Post added at 10:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 PM ----------

Aedes;72531 wrote:
Think about rocks for a second.

All of the greatest minds in the world can ponder the metaphysical aspects of rocks. Issues of causality, of substance, of appearance versus substance, etc.

But what does that actually tell you about a rock? NOTHING.

Tells me a lot and it is fun to boot.

Quote:
All it tells you is how the human mind processes the idea of rocks, and how the human language can talk about them. Metaphysics is a mental exercise -- it can never provide knowledge of the substance of this world.

Maybe that is all it is for you. But it is much more for me. But that is fine. You can do whatever you want to do, and I'll keep doing what I am doing.

Rich

kennethamy

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 09:57 pm
@richrf,
richrf;72615 wrote:

Maybe that is all it is for you. But it is much more for me. But that is fine. You can do whatever you want to do, and I'll keep doing what I am doing.

Rich

Yes, and the Iranian Mullahs will keep doing what they are doing, which is the murder of Iranians who oppose them. But, who cares, thats' Liberalism, and tolerance, and it is fun to boot. At least for the Mullahs. Not so much, I guess, for those they murder. But, hell, why think? Thinking is no fun. Feeling is what is fun.

Alan McDougall

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 10:12 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;72544 wrote:
Can you provide a link or resource to this "Book of Fudd" you often cite?

Thanks.

Are we not the person we think we are? or are we the person other people think we are?

How can we be sure? who we really are?

nameless

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 12:38 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;72633 wrote:
Are we not the person we think we are? or are we the person other people think we are?

Both!!

Quote:

You cannot be sure of anything that you do not perceive. But what you perceive is reality. A 'portion/feature' of Reality.
You see a feature of 'You', I see a feature of You, but all Perspectives are limited. The sum-total of all describes the complete You. You cannot know/perceive/understand or even imagine the complere You. What 'you' see is only a small portion, with which you 'identify'.
No need to be 'sure', necessarily, about anything. Who really is? But you would be fairly safe tentatively accepting that you are 'more' than you think.
That leaves all sorts of 'room for expansion' (of Consciousness, Perspective...)
Peace

Zetetic11235

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 02:10 am
@richrf,
richrf;72615 wrote:
When I am awake I experience three dimensional space and I experience a sense of time passing. I do not have either of these experiences when I am dreaming. It is totally different for me. POP! I am asleep (or so it seems). POP! I am awake. Between those two pops are images, things happening without definitive flow. It is much different from awake.

All people who I talk to will suggest that asleep feels much different than awake. How does the mind change itself? How does the mind get in and out of this state? Maybe my question is too subtle. It is so natural that no one that I have ever read has noticed that it is quite a feat!

I've experienced the sensation of time passing in a dream before, but really that sensation has nothing to do with the passage of time. If there are sequential events in a dream, time is simply a logical extension of that fact. I've had blurring between the dream and reality before if it is especially vivid. Ever had a very vivid dream and think you were awake? If you wake up, you don't necessarily realize it was a dream until you gather your thoughts for a moment and realize it doesn't fit the context of what is actually going on.

The same sort of state you described can be manifestations of intoxication due to various chemicals. DMT, for instance, is a drug that is though might induce dreaming. The waking effects of it are very similar to a dream state, it is a very powerful hallucinagen. The chemical name is Dimethyl Triptamine. Look it up. It has in fact been postulated that DMT causes dreaming, as it is released by the mammalian brain, the theory is valid.

So this begs the qeustion, if we can have a dream experience while we are waking, how much does dreaming have to do with being 'unconcious'?

richrf;72615 wrote:
Science is about observing and measuring. It if is not physically there, science is out of the picture. Ask a scientist to come up with a definition for love? - or any emotion for that matter. I am not asking how it manifests itself in a physical form (e.g. kissing). I am asking what is love. These type of questions are in the realm of metaphysics.

Things that are qualitative are not communicatable. I know what I mean by love, but you take what I mean by love to be what you mean by love. This supposition is supposed to somehow be verified by my properly using/responding to the word 'love' in the manner that you would expect it to be used/respomded to, but this only indicates what is happening externally. You have not idea how I experience love, only how I correlate the word love to certain situations/actions. This interaction, however, is totally quantifiable, so my subjective experience remains a mystery to you, as does yours to me.

So, when we make a metaphysical statement, we try to compose something that invokes a qualitative response, but we have no way to verify whether that response is qualitatively similar to how we concieve it to be. We only can observe its physical manifestation. Thus anything that is internal stays internal. This is where the tendency to project one's ego comes into play. There is a gap in what can be communicated(which is necessarily external and thus physical) and what is experienced(which is internal, but has external manifestations, the inerpretation of which has nothing to do with the internal state of the doer), so you must fill in the gap in the only way that makes sense to you. Metaphysics is your attempt to give structure to the projections of the self you use to fill in this gap.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 03:23 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;72633 wrote:

You are the person you are. Whether you are either of those you mention, depends, of course, on whether either of those views are accurate or not. But it is a lot more likely that you know who you are than that others do, since you would have a lot more information. At least if you are a normal adult.

But, the trouble is, of course, that what you have in mind is not what people ordinarily mean by the question, "Who is X". You apparently have something deep but incomprehensible in mind by this question. So if X said, "I am male, 60 years old, born in New York State, etc." you would scoff at that answer. Not deep or philosophical enough, or at all. A question for which there is no answer is always a better question than one that makes no sense, and has no answer. Isn't that right?

---------- Post added at 05:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:23 AM ----------

Zetetic11235;72652 wrote:
I've experienced the sensation of time passing in a dream before, but really that sensation has nothing to do with the passage of time. If there are sequential events in a dream, time is simply a logical extension of that fact. I've had blurring between the dream and reality before if it is especially vivid. Ever had a very vivid dream and think you were awake? If you wake up, you don't necessarily realize it was a dream until you gather your thoughts for a moment and realize it doesn't fit the context of what is actually going on.

The same sort of state you described can be manifestations of intoxication due to various chemicals. DMT, for instance, is a drug that is though might induce dreaming. The waking effects of it are very similar to a dream state, it is a very powerful hallucinagen. The chemical name is Dimethyl Triptamine. Look it up. It has in fact been postulated that DMT causes dreaming, as it is released by the mammalian brain, the theory is valid.

So this begs the qeustion, if we can have a dream experience while we are waking, how much does dreaming have to do with being 'unconcious'?

Things that are qualitative are not communicatable. I know what I mean by love, but you take what I mean by love to be what you mean by love. This supposition is supposed to somehow be verified by my properly using/responding to the word 'love' in the manner that you would expect it to be used/respomded to, but this only indicates what is happening externally. You have not idea how I experience love, only how I correlate the word love to certain situations/actions. This interaction, however, is totally quantifiable, so my subjective experience remains a mystery to you, as does yours to me.

So, when we make a metaphysical statement, we try to compose something that invokes a qualitative response, but we have no way to verify whether that response is qualitatively similar to how we concieve it to be. We only can observe its physical manifestation. Thus anything that is internal stays internal. This is where the tendency to project one's ego comes into play. There is a gap in what can be communicated(which is necessarily external and thus physical) and what is experienced(which is internal, but has external manifestations, the inerpretation of which has nothing to do with the internal state of the doer), so you must fill in the gap in the only way that makes sense to you. Metaphysics is your attempt to give structure to the projections of the self you use to fill in this gap.

I think it is very probable that if when you come to my door, I kick you down the stairs, and shout at you never to come around again or I'll beat you to a pulp, that my internal state is, well, unwelcoming. Wouldn't you say that, just off the top of your head?

RDanneskjld

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 04:00 am
@richrf,
richrf;72615 wrote:

Not at all. Love is not some occult thing hidden from view. When we say that someone is in 'Love' we are talking about them being a disposition to act in certain ways when presented with certain situations. If you look how people talk about 'Love' and 'Loving' other people they often talk about very physical signs of affection whether that is kissing, compliments, moral support or many other things that are related to Love. There is behaviour criteria for Love, maybe not a scientific one, but one used by many people in there everyday life and I would suggest it works just fine, with people often talking about whether other people love them or not based on the behaviour of the other person in question.

patriarch

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 04:11 am
@richrf,
Maybe we should not treat Decartes' saying too complicated. What he asserts is the importance of thinking. Without thinking our existence is meaningless. That's what the meaning of "I think therefore I am". It's a metaphor.

Aedes

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 05:53 am
@nameless,
nameless;72542 wrote:
'Metaphysics' does reveal the reality that 'rocks' are not something 'out there' as naively thought, but that there is only perceived 'substance'/rock, found only in the mind. There is no 'out there' as 'naively' conceived, there is Here!, Mind!
Metaphysics does NOT reveal that there is no 'out there', seeing as metaphysics refuses to even look. Metaphysics tells us that if there IS a true out there, our view of it is completely contaminated by our tortured brains.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 06:56 am
@Aedes,
Aedes;72675 wrote:
Metaphysics does NOT reveal that there is no 'out there', seeing as metaphysics refuses to even look. Metaphysics tells us that if there IS a true out there, our view of it is completely contaminated by our tortured brains.

Where is out there? And what do our tortured brains (poor things) tell us that is contaminated? How?

---------- Post added at 09:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 AM ----------

patriarch;72666 wrote:
Maybe we should not treat Decartes' saying too complicated. What he asserts is the importance of thinking. Without thinking our existence is meaningless. That's what the meaning of "I think therefore I am". It's a metaphor.

That approach disrespects Descartes. I think we should treat him exactly as he expects and deserves to be treated, and we should not patronize him. He was a very smart man. He offers the Cogito as an argument to prove that he exists. That is exactly how we should treat it. He is saying something complicated. Have we any right to treat it as we please? Your suggestion is to pat him on the head, and tell him to run along.

richrf

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 07:45 am
@RDanneskjld,
R.Danneskjöld;72664 wrote:
Not at all. Love is not some occult thing hidden from view. When we say that someone is in 'Love' we are talking about them being a disposition to act in certain ways when presented with certain situations.

Hi,

I am not looking for manifestations of love, e.g. how people act. I am looking for what is the impetus of all of these manifestations, which are innumerable and different for each person. What it IS that is causing these outward manifestations. Descartes gave us a clue:

I Think therefore I AM.

Science can only deal with what it observes and can measure.

Quote:
If you look how people talk about 'Love' and 'Loving' other people they often talk about very physical signs of affection whether that is kissing, compliments, moral support or many other things that are related to Love. There is behaviour criteria for Love, maybe not a scientific one, but one used by many people in there everyday life and I would suggest it works just fine, with people often talking about whether other people love them or not based on the behaviour of the other person in question.
Everyone describes love differently. All you did was just describe how love manifests for you.

Rich

---------- Post added at 08:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 AM ----------

kennethamy;72629 wrote:
Yes, and the Iranian Mullahs will keep doing what they are doing, which is the murder of Iranians who oppose them. But, who cares, thats' Liberalism, and tolerance, and it is fun to boot. At least for the Mullahs. Not so much, I guess, for those they murder. But, hell, why think? Thinking is no fun. Feeling is what is fun.

Killings happen all around the world right now. The U.S. just finished pulverizing Iraq whose people's biggest sin was that they were sitting on top of lots oil (no one from Iraq was at all involved in 9/11). People are being murdered in Mexico by weapons shipped by gun manufacturers in the U.S., In Sudan the traditional religious wars that have gone on for thousands of years continues, ditto Pakistan and India. Yep, there is lots of stuff going on all over the world. You figure it out.

And everyone of them always thinks that they are absolutely Right, they have the Truth. Believing something doesn't kill. What kills is when two people, who think they are cocksure right all the time, decide it is time to kill. Maybe we wouldn't have so many killings if people didn't think they were so cocksure right all the time and preaching morality to others all the time? What do you think?

Rich

---------- Post added at 09:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 AM ----------

patriarch;72666 wrote:

Hi,

Yes. I am all for exploring the various meanings that the phrase might have. And I would agree, that without thinking that existence is meaningless.

I, as you can tell, would go one step further. That without thinking there would be no existence.

Thanks for your comments.

Rich

---------- Post added at 09:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 AM ----------

Aedes;72675 wrote:

There are all kinds of ways to look at the world. My metaphysics and those of many who came before me (if there was a before me), certainly do take into account an "out there" and there is no torture in my mind (brains are just a manifestation of mind in my metaphysical view of things). There are many metaphysics models which share my viewpoint in many cultures around the world.

Rich

Aedes

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 09:33 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;72691 wrote:
Where is out there? And what do our tortured brains (poor things) tell us that is contaminated? How?
Let's say for the sake of discussion that there is a real world that exists independent of the human consciousness. (Belief to the contrary implies that your consciousness is the only one in existence, so what does my opinion matter then?)

A 10 pound rock, being a physical object outside our imagination, has certain physical properties, and we can ascertain them in a way that is independently verifiable by any observer. For instance, we want to know how much the rock weighs. One million people can take one million scales and weigh the rock under the same conditions 1000 times each. Thus, even though I make no argument that the findings have "absolute" significance, we will find that there is relatively tight agreement about the weight of the rock within the 1 billion observations. What is a pound? Doesn't matter, it's a measurement that different people can independently agree upon. The same can be said for any physical observation.

Let's now talk about the metaphysical properties of the rock. Is it a unity or a duality? Does it have substance and essence? What is its ultimate cause? What is its meaning? Is it good? Is it bad? Does it have consciousness?

Arguments about these subjects, as rational and elegant and organized and logical as they may be, are solely the domain of the human mind. So the conclusion reached are contingent upon the imagination of the person undertaking such metaphysical speculation, but this makes his conclusions contingent upon his 1) apprehension of the rock and 2) his idiosyncratic thought process. Since there is NO opportunity for independent corroboration, the sole way of even getting this impression across to others is with language, and we know that language is fraught with ambiguities and imprecisions.

So what has this process told us about the rock? About the rock that we all agree exists outside our consciousness. Nothing at all -- nothing.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 09:43 am
@richrf,
richrf;72698 wrote:
Hi,

I am not looking for manifestations of love, e.g. how people act. I am looking for what is the impetus of all of these manifestations, which are innumerable and different for each person. What it IS that is causing these outward manifestations. Descartes gave us a clue:

I Think therefore I AM.

Science can only deal with what it observes and can measure.

Everyone describes love differently. All you did was just describe how love manifests for you.

Rich

---------- Post added at 08:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 AM ----------

Killings happen all around the world right now. The U.S. just finished pulverizing Iraq whose people's biggest sin was that they were sitting on top of lots oil (no one from Iraq was at all involved in 9/11). People are being murdered in Mexico by weapons shipped by gun manufacturers in the U.S., In Sudan the traditional religious wars that have gone on for thousands of years continues, ditto Pakistan and India. Yep, there is lots of stuff going on all over the world. You figure it out.

And everyone of them always thinks that they are absolutely Right, they have the Truth. Believing something doesn't kill. What kills is when two people, who think they are cocksure right all the time, decide it is time to kill. Maybe we wouldn't have so many killings if people didn't think they were so cocksure right all the time and preaching morality to others all the time? What do you think?

Rich

---------- Post added at 09:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 AM ----------

Hi,

Yes. I am all for exploring the various meanings that the phrase might have. And I would agree, that without thinking that existence is meaningless.

I, as you can tell, would go one step further. That without thinking there would be no existence.

Thanks for your comments.

Rich

---------- Post added at 09:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 AM ----------

There are all kinds of ways to look at the world. My metaphysics and those of many who came before me (if there was a before me), certainly do take into account an "out there" and there is no torture in my mind (brains are just a manifestation of mind in my metaphysical view of things). There are many metaphysics models which share my viewpoint in many cultures around the world.

Rich

Why isn't what most frequently causes the manifestations of love, love? Just as what causes the outward manifestations of anger, anger? And, we did not need Descartes to tell us that, did we?

That killings happen around the world does not, in the least, excuse the Mullahs of Iran, or the Nazis of Germany. Not unless you believe that a lot of wrongs make a right. So that others do evil is quite irrelevant. It is rather surprising, though, that you blame the United States for all the evil in the world. I thought you love everyone, since, after all, that was the perspective of the United States, and you don't think that you can have any reason to quarrel with any perspective, since all are equally "valid". I see you do not care much about consistency, either. Well, consistency is just another perspective. Isn't that right?

Yes, fanaticism (which is, after all, only another perspective) is an evil (but why you think so, I cannot imagine). But knowing the truth is not fanaticism. You continue to confuse knowing the truth with fanaticism. Why, I cannot tell, except that you confuse most things, and this is just another case of it. A person can know the truth, or think he knows the truth, and not be a fanatic. You think you know the truth that knowing the truth is tantamount to fanaticism. But are you a fanatic? Hmm.

Let me point out to you that lots of things exist and do not think. Oysters, earthworms, chairs and tables. Yet how is the fact that they exist meaningless? And, of course, in a different sense, there are people who exist without thinking very much.

richrf

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 10:35 am
@Aedes,
Aedes;72717 wrote:
Thus, even though I make no argument that the findings have "absolute" significance, we will find that there is relatively tight agreement about the weight of the rock within the 1 billion observations.

Yes, this is what I call consensus. While there may be lots of disagreement and there will be, just like on this forum, people agree to agree. So, sometimes people will fight ad infinitum about a word, (and they do), some will just agree. So there is consensus and there are disagreements, and these are manifestations of how each Individual Consciousness chooses to create a relationship on each thought.

Quote:
What is a pound? Doesn't matter, it's a measurement that different people can independently agree upon. The same can be said for any physical observation.
They agree to agree, even though each might see it a touch differently. I have seen people fight in a butcher shop on what a pound is. Smile

Quote:
Let's now talk about the metaphysical properties of the rock. Is it a unity or a duality? Does it have substance and essence? What is its ultimate cause? What is its meaning? Is it good? Is it bad? Does it have consciousness?
It my view, it is the creation of multiple Individual Consciousness. The rock may or may not have its own consciousness. I do not preclude it. I do not know. But, like when waves collide, so is matter formed. Infinite varieties of quanta waves intersecting and collapsing. As you may well know, quanta are probability waves until they collapse when they are observed. The observer, in this case, I interpret to mean Individual Consciousness.

Quote:
Arguments about these subjects, as rational and elegant and organized and logical as they may be, are solely the domain of the human mind. So the conclusion reached are contingent upon the imagination of the person undertaking such metaphysical speculation, but this makes his conclusions contingent upon his 1) apprehension of the rock and 2) his idiosyncratic thought process.
Absolutely agree. This would go under the Subjective or Perspective view of the world.

Quote:
Since there is NO opportunity for independent corroboration, the sole way of even getting this impression across to others is with language, and we know that language is fraught with ambiguities and imprecisions.
Yes. I agree. Language is imprecise and throughout history we continue to create new words in all languages to keep up with the imagination of the mind.

Quote:
So what has this process told us about the rock? About the rock that we all agree exists outside our consciousness. Nothing at all -- nothing.
That it is something that is created through the process of Individual Consciousness interacting. Very similar to the way a car is made. Only a rock is much, much older. Smile

Rich

---------- Post added at 11:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 AM ----------

kennethamy;72718 wrote:
Why isn't what most frequently causes the manifestations of love, love? Just as what causes the outward manifestations of anger, anger? And, we did not need Descartes to tell us that, did we?

Everyone manifests it differently. What I am interested is where it comes from and what is the impetus behind the physical manifestations. It is like a car. I can say a car moves. But I want to know what makes the car move. So I look at the engine, and then I look at the mechanics, of the engine, and then I look at the energy that moves the internals of the engine, and then I look at what is energy, ad infinitum. That is what applied physics does, but it is always limited by instrumentation. However, theoretical physics is limited only by the mind, as Einstein, Wheeler, Hawkings, etc. suggest. Then they invent languages - e.g mathematics, to describe their thoughts.

Quote:
That killings happen around the world does not, in the least, excuse the Mullahs of Iran, or the Nazis of Germany. Not unless you believe that a lot of wrongs make a right. So that others do evil is quite irrelevant. It is rather surprising, though, that you blame the United States for all the evil in the world. I thought you love everyone, since, after all, that was the perspective of the United States, and you don't think that you can have any reason to quarrel with any perspective, since all are equally "valid". I see you do not care much about consistency, either. Well, consistency is just another perspective. Isn't that right?
I don't blame anyone. It is what it is and there is not very much I can do about it besides being different. People love to fight because they are sure they are right. I decided that it is not that important for me to be right.

Quote:
Yes, fanaticism (which is, after all, only another perspective) is an evil (but why you think so, I cannot imagine). But knowing the truth is not fanaticism.
Unfortunately, your Truth is someone else's fanaticism.

Quote:
You continue to confuse knowing the truth with fanaticism.
I think they are the same. It is a matter of how you look at it. Some people believe that their religion are the true religion. And they are quite willing to kill and die for it. It is all the same. It is just how far you want to go.

As long as there are people who believe they know the Truth (and I believe that this will always be so), then there will be wars, and no amount of moralism or rightousness will stop it. It is as it is.

Rich

Whoever

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 12:00 pm
@nameless,
nameless;72516 wrote:
'Individual Consciousness is an illusion. Consciousness is not dual, it is a monism.
Whatever 'reasons or interpretations support such an illusion of 'individuality' flies in the face of all the revealed evidence of millennia of mystics, of quantum theory...
but, ok, reading on (with commentary); etc etc but all but just what does it actually mean? If anything... Not an unusual 'linear' perspective + 'belief' = belief in existence beyond death. Religious 'belief' is less than valid justification in a philosophic context...Suffers from the assumption of 'causality' and the vanity of considering ourselves as gods who 'create' anything...More vanity. 'Will', 'free-will' is another vain egoic illusion believed. Nothing 'new' here either.

On the other hand, the Chinese eat deer antler and tiger penises for 'virility' and cut the fins from live sharks and dump them back into the ocean to endure horrible deaths so they can gain whatever believed 'health' benefits from eating the fins. The list of common atrocities is enormous! In general, i don't hold much 'admiration' for the depth of undestanding and empathy and compassion and education of the common Chinese person.

I dont know where you found the quote, but it doesnt seem to be more than a single deviation or two from the most common and obvious of 'thinking'.

This seems like common folk medicine, highly suspicious at best, toxic (with horrific consequences) at worst.
Just my opinion and experience. There are others...

There are a small few Chinese philosophers worth the effort, though, Lao Tsu, for one.

Hi Nameless. I was amazed at this post of yours which I've just stumbled across. I had you down as someone who agreed with sages. Maybe I muddled you with someone else. It's hard to keep track of who said what and when around here.

You're entitled to your opinions, of course, but I would be wary of being so bold. It's simply not possible to dismiss one Chinese sage as an idiot and another as 'worth the effort' without appearing not to understand what either of them is talking about, let alone how their views dovetail with each other. If it appears that their views are inconsistent then you have the wrong interpretation. Or, I think you would admit, there is at least this possibility. This is a useful rule of thumb for reading the wisdom literature.

Zetetic11235

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 12:11 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;72657 wrote:

I think it is very probable that if when you come to my door, I kick you down the stairs, and shout at you never to come around again or I'll beat you to a pulp, that my internal state is, well, unwelcoming. Wouldn't you say that, just off the top of your head?

Don't be cute just because you don't get what I'm trying to say, it makes you appear proud of your lack of understanding. I guess you could go try to read R.D. Lang's Politics of Experience to get a longer more detailed explanation, there aren't too many big words in it.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 12:14 pm
@Zetetic11235,
Zetetic11235;72762 wrote:
Don't be cute just because you don't get what I'm trying to say, it makes you appear proud of your lack of understanding. I guess you could go try to read R.D. Lang's Politics of Experience to get a longer more detailed explanation, there aren't too many big words in it.

Is that your reply to my point that we can often know what a person is thinking or feeling? It doesn't seem much of one. I think I once tried to read Lang a while ago. I just couldn't put that book down. I had to throw it down-into the trash.

nameless

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 05:24 pm
@Whoever,
Whoever;72758 wrote:
Hi Nameless. I was amazed at this post of yours which I've just stumbled across. I had you down as someone who agreed with sages. Maybe I muddled you with someone else. It's hard to keep track of who said what and when around here.

I'm happy to have risen up from the 'parrotish sage agreer' that you perceived me. Of course if that is how you perceived me, that is a feature of my identity.
You may find agreement as you might. I have my own thoughts and experiences. If examined, you might find some 'agreement' here or there, as you can. Perhaps 'sages' agree with me? *__- I was referring to only one 'sages' words, not all.

Quote:
You're entitled to your opinions, of course, but I would be wary of being so bold.

I understand, but I gotta be me! (Depends when you see me, who I 'am'..) It's not like there are any options or choices in the matter. Depends on the moment of observation whether I am a humble saint or an egomonster or a healer or a killer or 'bold' or subdued.. Isn't this rather irrelevent"
The 'points' that I make are the meat, how, is merely the delivery system (which, obviously, varies). Different strokes...

Quote:
It's simply not possible to dismiss one Chinese sage as an idiot and another as 'worth the effort' without appearing not to understand what either of them is talking about,

I "dismissed" no one as an "idiot". I commented on his words as presented and perceived from this Perspective.
Appearances are often deceiving? Just because one person acclaims someone as a sage does not obviate that another, from a different Perspective might find his thoughts 'common' and 'without merit'.
Other moments are different contexts.

Quote:
let alone how their views dovetail with each other.

In the eye of the beholder, perhaps?
But we haven't really examined the subject of your assertion to determine the (context of) validity, or not. You make a very broad and sweeping assertion regarding 'all' Chinese philosophers/sages with no specifics in support of your assertion. I'm sure that 'dovetails' can be found, and that 'divergences' can also be found, and that two can examine the same evidence and come to two differing understandings; one sees harmony and the other sees conflict. Both would be 'correct'.

Quote:
If it appears that their views are inconsistent then you have the wrong interpretation.

I cannot have the 'wrong' interpretation. I have 'this' interpretation just as you have 'that' interpretation. What makes you think that your interpretation is the 'correct' for anyone but you?
Do you also have such a religious regard for so called 'authority' that you automatically accept that if offered by the 'right' authority, it must be 'correct'? Like bible believers? If it violates critical thought, then 'thought' must be incorrect as the bible must be correct because blah, blah, blah...
"Consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds!"
The world is not necessarily 'consistent' from moment to moment. Neither is, necessarily, the moment to moment understanding of it.

Quote:
Or, I think you would admit, there is at least this possibility.

"For every Perspective, there is an equal and opposite Perspective!" equally 'real' and equally 'true' (in the appropriate contexts).

Quote:
This is a useful rule of thumb for reading the wisdom literature.

My rule of thumb for reading anything is critical thoughtful examination! I have no 'hero worship' to obfuscate my critical thought processes. That is philosophy, 'critical thought', as opposed to 'beliefs' which is 'religion'. No one gets a 'free ride' through this mind!
It is quite common that what might be considered 'wisdom' one moment can appear as foolishness the next. Nothing remains the same, neither does the necessary 'context' of what appears as wisdom (eye of the beholder again). Just because something is copied down in a book called 'Wisdom', or some such, don't necessarily make it so.
Like 'beauty', wisdom isn't in a book, it is in the beholder. That is 'wisdom' (depending, of course, on 'your' eye! *__- ).

I was a bit 'dramatic' after just learning of one more horror that the Chinese folks (recipients/followers of such 'philosophies'; the proof is in the pudding after all..) committed against nature in the name of 'getting an erekshun (proper spelling is censored for some reason)' and 'health'!
My point remains that there is 'crappy philosophy', untennable in light of modern understanding, and there is philosophy that cuts right into 'truth', which from any angle, is one, Here! Now!

As far as the referenced stated 'sage's' thoughts, depending on the Perspective, they can be valid or invalid or both or none. I expressed one Perspective. Sorry that the presentation disturbed you (I suspected that it might bother some), but I guess that I'll just leave it as is.

"All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense." -Robert Anton Wilson

If you have one simple point (relating to the 'sage's' philosophy and my comment on it) that you wish to examine with me (re; my post) I'd be happy to discuss 'this' Perspective.
It might well be obvious by now that I do not value anyone's thoughts unduly just because they "are a name". I have the capability of critical thought and use it, I need simply 'accept' nothing as presented.
Modern science validates much and makes much into 'fantasy'.
For instance, modern undestanding of the nonlinear nature of existence renders Buddha's and Hindu notions of 'reincarnation' trivial. There have been/are mystics that have understood such a nonlinearity for millennia.
Please feel free to ignore the dramatic hyperbole as merely what it is and see the wisdom hidden behind (your eyelids)!
Peace

oh, just saw this;
Quote:
"Anything that contradicts experience or logic should be abandoned." The Dalai Lama.

Bye the bye, do you consider this 'materialist' approach really 'wisdom' or 'enlightened'? From what Perspective?
He dismisses 'intuition' and 'ephiphany' and 'enlightenment' and 'nonsense'? Perhaps he has experienced neither, and in light of such ignorance, dismisses them? Not uncommon, but un'sagely' and 'ignorant'.
The DL also suggests letting a malaria or other disease bearing mosquito feed on you rather than killing of brushing it away. Compassion or ignorance? Poor advice at best!
The best burgers come from sacred cows!
*__-

Alan McDougall

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 12:03 am
@richrf,
love is not a feeling love is an act of compassion, you love someone in spite of what you dislike in them, and that to me is the real secret of a good marriage

richrf

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 12:44 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;72945 wrote:
love is not a feeling love is an act of compassion, you love someone in spite of what you dislike in them, and that to me is the real secret of a good marriage

Hi Alan,

I know people who love their garden, their pets, their home, their car ... I mean really love them. Smile

As with everything, the concept of love seems to be very much dependent upon the individual, and I dear say that each person, when asked will come up with a different definition of love. And who knows, if a dog was able to speak, maybe they too would have their own definitions - e.g. I love be taken out at night by my owner.:bigsmile:

What I have learned is that many times people think there is an agreement on a concept or word, but there really isn't. Consensus is arrived at but the consensus rarely matches what each individual actually believes. I remember asking a group of Taijiquan practitioners what Taiji was, and each person had a different answer. One suggested: You know it when you see it. So they were talking about something the definition that none of them agreed on, but were still able to converse. I think that is amazing. Smile

Rich

Rich

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/06/2024 at 11:01:26