I THINK therefore I AM

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

richrf

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 12:40 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;72465 wrote:
I cannot imagine what reasons you have to say any of those things.

It is a manner of learning to exercise the creative portion of the mind. [CENTER]Use it or lose it.
[/CENTER]

Rich

Zetetic11235

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 12:40 pm
@richrf,
richrf;72485 wrote:

Someone who is considered "crazy" might simply be someone who is far more evolved and sees much, much more than the average human. You may be right smack in the middle of the "average awareness". I like to listen to those who are more than two standard deviations out. Smile

Rich

How do you know where they fall on that spectrum?

richrf

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 12:44 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;72466 wrote:
Metaphysics tells us a lot about ourselves -- but nothing about nature itself.

May I totally disagree. :detective:

I love it when scientists fight for the the highest position on the pedestal. It is so ... well, everyone knows the game King of the Hill.

My viewpoint is that they both have their place, as one feeds the other. I love reading science books, especially current physics. And I also love creating whether it be metaphysics, art, music, dance. Both exist as part of nature. And I love looking behind the tree to see what is there.

Rich

---------- Post added at 02:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:44 PM ----------

Zetetic11235;72490 wrote:
Why would you not simply quote a more solid source for the idea you really want to explore rather than try to make words from elsewhere fit your ideas in a way that they are not generally accepted to?

I find generally accepted is boring for me.

Whoever cannot seek the unforeseen sees nothing for the known way is an impasse. [Heraclitus]

I am positing that the same consciousness that creates dreams in non-space/time also creates space/time, and the difference is how consciousness chooses to interact.

Even a soul submerged in sleep is hard at work and helps make something of the world. [Heraclitus]

As for my view of the world:

Time is a game
played beautifully
by children.
:bigsmile:

[Heraclitus]

Rich

---------- Post added at 02:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:44 PM ----------

Zetetic11235;72492 wrote:
How do you know where they fall on that spectrum?

Well, everyone feels that they are ahead. That is part of the game. Smile

Rich

nameless

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 02:44 pm
@richrf,
richrf;72431 wrote:
nameless wrote:

On the other hand, if 'thought' is truly 'ego' (as it seems to be) then within the egoic (context) state of thought, exists the egoic 'self' (thought-image).

Chinese metaphysics has a more refined view of the nature of the human Individual Consciousness.

'Individual Consciousness is an illusion. Consciousness is not dual, it is a monism.
Whatever 'reasons or interpretations support such an illusion of 'individuality' flies in the face of all the revealed evidence of millennia of mystics, of quantum theory...
but, ok, reading on (with commentary);

Quote:
It is composed as such:

1) Shen: Spirit, the spark of life that comes from the initial Source.

"Spark of life" is poetic and sentimental and all but just what does it actually mean? If anything...

Quote:
2) Hun: Soul, the transcendental being that is learning, exploring, and gaining skills over multiple lives.

Not an unusual 'linear' perspective + 'belief' = belief in existence beyond death. Religious 'belief' is less than valid justification in a philosophic context.

Quote:
3) Yi: The creative mind that also brings Awareness

Suffers from the assumption of 'causality' and the vanity of considering ourselves as gods who 'create' anything.

Quote:
4) Zhi: The Willfulness

More vanity. 'Will', 'free-will' is another vain egoic illusion believed. Nothing 'new' here either.

Quote:
5) Po: The part of the being that is here for a single lifetime and manifests in the physical body. It uses the Zhi to survive.

On the other hand, the Chinese eat deer antler and tiger penises for 'virility' and cut the fins from live sharks and dump them back into the ocean to endure horrible deaths so they can gain whatever believed 'health' benefits from eating the fins. The list of common atrocities is enormous! In general, i don't hold much 'admiration' for the depth of undestanding and empathy and compassion and education of the common Chinese person.
I dont know where you found the quote, but it doesnt seem to be more than a single deviation or two from the most common and obvious of 'thinking'.
This seems like common folk medicine, highly suspicious at best, toxic (with horrific consequences) at worst.
Just my opinion and experience. There are others...

There are a small few Chinese philosophers worth the effort, though, Lao Tsu, for one.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 03:09 pm
@richrf,
richrf;72491 wrote:
It is a manner of learning to exercise the creative portion of the mind. [CENTER]Use it or lose it.
[/CENTER]

Rich

That is your reason? Do you know what a reason is?

Zetetic11235

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 03:13 pm
@richrf,
richrf;72493 wrote:

I am positing that the same consciousness that creates dreams in non-space/time also creates space/time, and the difference is how consciousness chooses to interact.
Rich

Why would dreams not take place in space time? Space time(in the general way it is used outside of mathematics) is pretty much a blanket term for the entirety of being. Dreams are certainly not time independent, since there are events that occur in them in some sequence.

Essentially, you might as well say that consciousness is space time and that everyone's consciousness is connected into a single manifold. This would lead to the same fundamental conclusion that one gets to when they say that everything arises from what is physical, and that basic physical particles build up all of what we see, so that we are fundamentally connected in a physical manner. The difference between idealism and materialism is strictly linguistic. The ideas are in fact necessarily isomorphic: That is, there is a one to one correspondence between the objects of consideration(an object is still there whether you consider it to be physical or mental in origin), and the relations between the objects are wholly preserved when you go from idealism to materialism or physicalism.

You are right not to try to pit science against metaphysics. Science intends to circumvent the problems of perception. Metaphysics tries to make these problems into an art.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 03:23 pm
@Zetetic11235,
kennethamy;72213 wrote:
Dreams, first of all, do not contain things. They contain images of things. Dream-images.

So you quibble over the term "thing"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Object_(philosophy)

kennethamy;72213 wrote:
What reason have you for thinking that those images are images of things in waking life.

Because they appear to be the same as those waking life objects, and the most plausible explanation for this similarity is that those things in my dreams are derived from those things in waking life.

kennethamy;72213 wrote:
Only that you now (waking) believe they do. But sometimes, people believe things and turn out to be mistaken. You seem to be so sure you are not? Any particular reason, or just your belief?

Again, my position seems to mesh quite well with leading theories regarding dreams.

kennethamy;72213 wrote:
Can dream images resemble what you see in waking life? I suppose so. Are they? I guess we do not know, at least, now. There is no hard evidence either way. The anecdotal evidence is all your evidence.

So what? You cannot experience my dreams, thus, my anecdotal evidence is the only evidence available. You have to work with what you have.

Aedes

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 03:31 pm
@richrf,
richrf;72489 wrote:
I love Itzhak Bentov's, A Brief Tour of Higher Consciousness: A Cosmic Book on the Mechanics of Creation for starters
Think about rocks for a second.

All of the greatest minds in the world can ponder the metaphysical aspects of rocks. Issues of causality, of substance, of appearance versus substance, etc.

But what does that actually tell you about a rock? NOTHING.

All it tells you is how the human mind processes the idea of rocks, and how the human language can talk about them. Metaphysics is a mental exercise -- it can never provide knowledge of the substance of this world.

nameless

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 04:18 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;72531 wrote:
Think about rocks for a second.

All of the greatest minds in the world can ponder the metaphysical aspects of rocks. Issues of causality, of substance, of appearance versus substance, etc.

But what does that actually tell you about a rock? NOTHING.

All it tells you is how the human mind processes the idea of rocks, and how the human language can talk about them. Metaphysics is a mental exercise -- it can never provide knowledge of the substance of this world.

'Metaphysics' (as well as quantum physics) demonstrates that the "substance of 'this' world" IS a "mental 'exercise'"!
It does reveal the reality that 'rocks' are not something 'out there' as naively thought, but that there is only perceived 'substance'/rock, found only in the mind. There is no 'out there' as 'naively' conceived, there is Here!, Mind!
We learn much about 'rocks' through all sorts of disciplines/avenues of investigation and examination.
All contribute to the complete description of a 'rock'.
"The complete Universe is defined/described as the sum-total of all Perspectives!" - Book of Fudd (9:02:10)

Zetherin

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 04:24 pm
@nameless,
nameless;72542 wrote:
'Metaphysics' (as well as quantum physics) demonstrates that the "substance of 'this' world" IS a "mental 'exercise'"!
It does reveal the reality that 'rocks' are not something 'out there' as naively thought, but that there is only perceived 'substance'/rock, found only in the mind. There is no 'out there' as 'naively' conceived, there is Here!, Mind!
We learn much about 'rocks' through all sorts of disciplines/avenues of investigation and examination.
All contribute to the complete description of a 'rock'.
"The complete Universe is defined/described as the sum-total of all Perspectives!" - Book of Fudd (9:02:10)

Can you provide a link or resource to this "Book of Fudd" you often cite?

Thanks.

nameless

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 04:32 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;72544 wrote:
Can you provide a link or resource to this "Book of Fudd" you often cite?

Thanks.

Actually it is not finished yet.
I am offering it online, with quotes here and there for now, and 'in toto' (no, not in Dorothy's dog) when finished, if ever. At present, I'm revising the updated revision.
It is spread through a few such philosophy sites.
Thank you for the kindness of your interest.
Peace

Zetherin

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 04:35 pm
@nameless,
nameless;72549 wrote:
Actually it is not finished yet.
I am offering it online, with quotes here and there for now, and 'in toto' (no, not in Dorothy's dog) when finished, if ever. At present, I'm revising the updated revision.
It is spread through a few such philosophy sites.
Thank you for the kindness of your interest.
Peace

Wait, so you've written it? Or you're just revising it?

Is it a culmination of different philosophers' thoughts?

And it has chapters and verses too, like the Bible? This is fascinating stuff.

richrf

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 06:01 pm
@nameless,
nameless;72516 wrote:
'Individual Consciousness is an illusion.

I think it is an illusion to call things illusions, but as long as they are yours and not mine, I am OK with it.

Quote:
Consciousness is not dual, it is a monism.
For me, there is an Universal Consciousness and an Individual Consciousness - like waves in an ocean. BTW, this idea goes way back into many ancient cultures. Why? Because unity and individualism is all around to observe, and one has to make up concepts like illusions to get around the problem. Buddhists do it (they love illusions). Parmenides did it. Whenever there is something that is very prevalent and cannot be explained way, well ... why not make it an illusion. Problem solved??

Quote:
"Spark of life" is poetic and sentimental and all but just what does it actually mean? If anything...
Spark of Life is the wave emanating from the ocean. The ocean being the Universal Consciousness.

Quote:
Suffers from the assumption of 'causality' and the vanity of considering ourselves as gods who 'create' anything.
It sure seems like we create things - all the time. Probably why we are here. But what the heck, let's just put that in the illusion category. That's simple enough. Next problem!

Quote:
On the other hand, the Chinese eat deer antler and tiger penises for 'virility' and cut the fins from live sharks and dump them back into the ocean to endure horrible deaths so they can gain whatever believed 'health' benefits from eating the fins. The list of common atrocities is enormous! In general, i don't hold much 'admiration' for the depth of undestanding and empathy and compassion and education of the common Chinese person.

Don't let it bother you. It is just an illusion. I got over it a long time ago.

Quote:
There are a small few Chinese philosophers worth the effort, though, Lao Tsu, for one.

Thanks for shortening the list of things to read. And btw, I am glad I finally found someone who has cleansed his soul of vanity. Me ... I'm still working on it.

Rich

---------- Post added at 07:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:01 PM ----------

kennethamy;72525 wrote:
That is your reason? Do you know what a reason is?

I'll go to the dictionary and check out the definition and then get back to you.

Rich

kennethamy

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 06:08 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;72529 wrote:

So what? You cannot experience my dreams, thus, my anecdotal evidence is the only evidence available. You have to work with what you have.

That is exactly like the old joke about the man who is searching for something at night under a street light. Someone asks whether he can help, and asks where the searcher lost the item he is lookig for. The searcher indicates a place about 20 feet away. So the new man asks, "Why are you looking here, then?" And the searcher replies, "The light is better here".

---------- Post added at 08:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:08 PM ----------

richrf;72569 wrote:
I think it is an illusion to call things illusions, but as long as they are yours and not mine, I am OK with it.

For me, there is an Universal Consciousness and an Individual Consciousness - like waves in an ocean. BTW, this idea goes way back into many ancient cultures. Why? Because unity and individualism is all around to observe, and one has to make up concepts like illusions to get around the problem. Buddhists do it (they love illusions). Parmenides did it. Whenever there is something that is very prevalent and cannot be explained way, well ... why not make it an illusion. Problem solved??

Spark of Life is the wave emanating from the ocean. The ocean being the Universal Consciousness.

It sure seems like we create things - all the time. Probably why we are here. But what the heck, let's just put that in the illusion category. That's simple enough. Next problem!

Don't let it bother you. It is just an illusion. I got over it a long time ago.

Thanks for shortening the list of things to read. And btw, I am glad I finally found someone who has cleansed his soul of vanity. Me ... I'm still working on it.

Rich

---------- Post added at 07:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:01 PM ----------

I'll go to the dictionary and check out the definition and then get back to you.

Rich

You really should not need one. It is a common word in English, and I suppose you are a fluent English speaker. Aren't you? Anyway, what you wrote was not a reason. Try again.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 06:16 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;72572 wrote:
That is exactly like the old joke about the man who is searching for something at night under a street light. Someone asks whether he can help, and asks where the searcher lost the item he is lookig for. The searcher indicates a place about 20 feet away. So the new man asks, "Why are you looking here, then?" And the searcher replies, "The light is better here".

What are you talking about?

Do things appear in my dreams as they appear in reality? The only place to look is in my dream. I am the only person who has access to my dream.

I'm surprised that you are having such a hard time with this, and equally surprised that you do not have the same experience. You have never had a dream in which something in the dream appears as it does in waking life? Never a person you now? Never a place? Nothing?

What, then, is contained within your dreams?
[/COLOR]

kennethamy

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 06:20 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;72575 wrote:
What are you talking about?

Do things appear in my dreams as they appear in reality? The only place to look is in my dream. I am the only person who has access to my dream.

I'm surprised that you are having such a hard time with this, and equally surprised that you do not have the same experience. You have never had a dream in which something in the dream appears as it does in waking life? Never a person you now? Never a place? Nothing?

What, then, is contained within your dreams?
[/COLOR]

Only Platonic Forms. As you might expect. It just might mean that the answer is that you don't know whether what appears in your dreams resembles what you experience when awake. Saying one doesn't know is not a disgrace. Consider this possibility: no one remembers dreams. You wake up, and a story pops into your head.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 06:26 pm
@kennethamy,
Only Platonic Forms.... So you believe that when we dream we see the true nature of reality, and that when we are awake we perceive only that which mimics the true nature of reality exposed by our dreams?

I did not realize that true wisdom was napping. Did not expect that at all.

Yes, I considered your possibility. It's possible. It's also possible that the universe was created and is sustained by a giant flying spaghetti monster who lives on Alpha Centauri.... it's possible, but doesn't make any sense.

A story pops into your head when you wake up. By what, magic?

Zetherin

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 06:41 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;72576 wrote:
Only Platonic Forms. As you might expect. It just might mean that the answer is that you don't know whether what appears in your dreams resembles what you experience when awake. Saying one doesn't know is not a disgrace. Consider this possibility: no one remembers dreams. You wake up, and a story pops into your head.

I've never had an entire story pop into my head randomly and all at once, without conjuring it piece by piece or remembering the story from a past instance, while awake. Are you really contemplating whether we have "implanted" memories that somehow appear in our mind? Why and how would a story just pop into our head all of a sudden?

It's clear that my dreams resemble what I experience in real life. I remember some of my dreams and I remember some of my real life experiences. I can then compare the two, and sometimes there are resemblances. You've honestly never experienced this? You believe you're witnessing "platonic forms"? What do you mean by this?

kennethamy

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 06:41 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;72577 wrote:
Only Platonic Forms.... So you believe that when we dream we see the true nature of reality, and that when we are awake we perceive only that which mimics the true nature of reality exposed by our dreams?

I did not realize that true wisdom was napping. Did not expect that at all.

Yes, I considered your possibility. It's possible. It's also possible that the universe was created and is sustained by a giant flying spaghetti monster who lives on Alpha Centauri.... it's possible, but doesn't make any sense.

A story pops into your head when you wake up. By what, magic?

Magic is not much of an explanation. But perhaps there are some physiological or psychological causes we don't know about. There is no good reason (after all) to think we are remembering anything that took place during the night except the feeling of remembering. Is there? But we have a lot of reason to think there are no spaghetti monsters. So that analogy is not persuasive, because it is a very poor analogy.

Zetherin

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 06:43 pm
@richrf,
Quote:
Magic is not much of an explanation. But perhaps there are some physiological or psychological causes we don't know about. There is no good reason (after all) to think we are remembering anything that took place during the night except the feeling of remembering. Is there? But we have a lot of reason to think there are no spaghetti monsters. So that analogy is not persuasive, because it is a very poor analogy.

What good reason do you have for remembering anything that takes place while awake, then? Couldn't we apply your logic here too? We could just say you felt like you remembered, regardless.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 04:07:10