The Problem of Free Will

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

xris

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 01:04 pm
@kennethamy,
I am not a believer as some one thought but an agnostic.I try to be logical and take everything to its logical conclusion.The proposal as i have believed is that every event has a cause and nothing happens independently of another event.We are and our actions are the eventual outcome of previous events.Its therefor without doubt returns us to that first event the BB.It means that everything that ever was and ever shall be is because of that one event.Is there any objections????

Satan phil

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 01:10 pm
@xris,
xris;65686 wrote:
I am not a believer as some one thought but an agnostic.I try to be logical and take everything to its logical conclusion.The proposal as i have believed is that every event has a cause and nothing happens independently of another event.We are and our actions are the eventual outcome of previous events.Its therefor without doubt returns us to that first event the BB.It means that everything that ever was and ever shall be is because of that one event.Is there any objections????

Belief in causes is a form of dogmatism. There is no evidence for determinism but there is also no evidence that we cause anything nor that anything is caused at all for that matter. The expression "correlation does not imply causation" is correct but the problem is that all we ever see are correlations. We do not see causes. There is no evidence for such things.

xris

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 01:15 pm
@Satan phil,
Satan;65687 wrote:
Belief in causes is a form of dogmatism. There is no evidence for determinism but there is also no evidence that we cause anything nor that anything is caused at all for that matter. The expression "correlation does not imply causation" is correct but the problem is that all we ever see are correlations. We do not see causes. There is no evidence for such things.
I am confused on your view , do you believe in free will or the view that its good that we think we have free will?

kennethamy

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 01:22 pm
@Satan phil,
Satan;65684 wrote:
That's not an argument. That's an assertion.

All that's been established is that it's useful to believe we have free will.

I know it isn't an argument. I was replying to your assertion that we cannot say that free will is true. Why can't I if it is true?

I don't think that anything much has so far been established at all in this thread.
But I might say that if believing we have free will is useful (and I really don't see why you say that) then a good explanation for why it is useful (if it is) is that it is true. It is often useful to believe it is raining, and it is useful (when it is) because it is true that it is raining. Otherwise, why would it be useful to believe it is raining?

Satan phil

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 01:56 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;65691 wrote:
I know it isn't an argument. I was replying to your assertion that we cannot say that free will is true. Why can't I if it is true?

If you assert something as being true when that hasn't been established, it's a baseless assertion.

kennethamy;65691 wrote:
But I might say that if believing we have free will is useful (and I really don't see why you say that) then a good explanation for why it is useful (if it is) is that it is true.

It can also be useful to believe something false. Being useful doesn't signal truth.

---------- Post added at 03:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:56 PM ----------

xris;65690 wrote:
I am confused on your view , do you believe in free will or the view that its good that we think we have free will?

I experience that my actions often follow my intentions to perform said actions. I am ignorant of anything beyond that. There is no evidence for determinism or causes. The belief that anything is caused by me or caused at all, is irrational.

xris

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 02:34 pm
@Satan phil,
Satan;65694 wrote:
If you assert something as being true when that hasn't been established, it's a baseless assertion.

It can also be useful to believe something false. Being useful doesn't signal truth.

---------- Post added at 03:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:56 PM ----------

I experience that my actions often follow my intentions to perform said actions. I am ignorant of anything beyond that. There is no evidence for determinism or causes. The belief that anything is caused by me or caused at all, is irrational.
Are you a politician..pretty damned good at not answering..Do you believe in free will? if not why not?.we will get there...

Satan phil

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 02:40 pm
@xris,
xris;65698 wrote:
Are you a politician..pretty damned good at not answering..Do you believe in free will? if not why not?.we will get there...

I'm trying to answer your question but you're not being very specific. It depends how you define free will. If you mean my "actions often follow my intentions to perform said actions" then yes I believe that because I experience it. If you mean something else then tell me and I'll tell you if I believe it.

xris

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 02:44 pm
@Satan phil,
Satan;65700 wrote:
I'm trying to answer your question but you're not being very specific. It depends how you define free will. If you mean my "actions often follow my intentions to perform said actions" then yes I believe that because I experience it. If you mean something else then tell me and I'll tell you if I believe it.
The ability to decide without the decision being predetermined.

Satan phil

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 03:06 pm
@xris,
xris;65703 wrote:

There is no evidence that anything is predetermined.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 03:11 pm
@xris,
xris;65703 wrote:

Well, I am not quite sure what you mean by "predetermined". Might you just mean, "caused"? But if you do, and if determinism is true, then according to your own definition, there is no free will. But that is not particularly significant, since nothing significant can be decided by definition. Although, I think it is weird to be asked whether something exists, and then define terms so that what you are asked, cannot exist, because you define it out of existence. It seems a pretty futile sort of thing to do.

xris

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 03:27 pm
@kennethamy,
I never said i believe in predetermined actions, i was describing the definition for the opposition to free will.I dont think that we can say everything is determined by other acts.It might be that the outcome is written but not the cause.Many say ,what will be, destroys your ability for free will, i say you will make a certain decision but it will be freely made, but not by predetermined events.

---------- Post added at 04:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:27 PM ----------

Satan;65713 wrote:
There is no evidence that anything is predetermined.
I think you know the question but are determined not to answer.You have not answered a direct question once.This is about views not evidence.

Satan phil

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 03:39 pm
@xris,
xris;65719 wrote:
I never said i believe in predetermined actions, i was describing the definition for the opposition to free will.I dont think that we can say everything is determined by other acts.It might be that the outcome is written but not the cause.Many say ,what will be, destroys your ability for free will, i say you will make a certain decision but it will be freely made, but not by predetermined events.

---------- Post added at 04:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:27 PM ----------

I think you know the question but are determined not to answer.You have not answered a direct question once.This is about views not evidence.

I've answered all of your questions. I'm not sure why my answers are not a satisfactory for you. My views are based on evidence. If there is no evidence that my choices are predetermined then I don't believe they are predetermined.

xris

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 03:50 pm
@Satan phil,
Satan;65725 wrote:
I've answered all of your questions. I'm not sure why my answers are not a satisfactory for you. My views are based on evidence. If there is no evidence that my choices are predetermined then I don't believe they are predetermined.
So you believe in free will,thanks

Satan phil

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 03:58 pm
@xris,
xris;65729 wrote:
So you believe in free will,thanks

If that's how you define belief in free will, as the lack of belief in predetermined choices, then I would be included in your definition.

xris

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 04:02 pm
@Satan phil,
That's not what i said but thanks for your admission to believing in free will.

Satan phil

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 04:07 pm
@xris,
xris;65735 wrote:
That's not what i said but thanks for your admission to believing in free will.

If that's not what you said then I didn't admit to believing in free will. I don't believe my choices are predetermined. If that's how you define what it takes to believe in free will then I believe in free will. Yet, you are denying that's what you said. So, we are back to where we started. How do you define belief in free will? Answer that and I can tell you if I believe it.

xris

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 04:14 pm
@Satan phil,
Satan;65736 wrote:
If that's not what you said then I didn't admit to believing in free will. I don't believe my choices are predetermined. If that's how you define what it takes to believe in free will then I believe in free will. Yet, you are denying that's what you said. So, we are back to where we started. How do you define belief in free will? Answer that and I can tell you if I believe it.
You know what i said and you agreed to the idea and confirmed your belief.If you want to elaborate be my guest but i aint playing snow balls when it aint snowing.

Satan phil

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 04:18 pm
@xris,
xris;65738 wrote:
You know what i said and you agreed to the idea and confirmed your belief.If you want to elaborate be my guest but i aint playing snow balls when it aint snowing.

No, I don't know what you said because when I tried to confirm it, you denied saying it. That's why I asked for clarification. I don't believe that my choices are predetermined. Is that the same thing as belief in free will? If yes, then I believe in free will. If no, then I don't know what you mean by free will. So, I can't tell you whether or not I believe in it.

Satan phil

Reply Sun 31 May, 2009 02:30 pm
@elefunte,
It seems you have no intention of clarifying your statements. I'd just like to say that I don't think it's fair to ask someone if they believe in something while refusing to define what you're asking if they believe in. It's also unfair to accuse them of professing belief in something that you haven't defined properly, either. I'm not affirming or denying anything yet because I still don't know what's being discussed. I thought we were talking about belief in predetermined choices but it seems I was wrong.

xris

Reply Sun 31 May, 2009 03:10 pm
@Satan phil,
Satan;65856 wrote:
It seems you have no intention of clarifying your statements. I'd just like to say that I don't think it's fair to ask someone if they believe in something while refusing to define what you're asking if they believe in. It's also unfair to accuse them of professing belief in something that you haven't defined properly, either. I'm not affirming or denying anything yet because I still don't know what's being discussed. I thought we were talking about belief in predetermined choices but it seems I was wrong.
If you want to play a game of words do it with someone else not I.You know full well what free will is and the arguments for and against.If you say you believe in free will by any accepted meaning of the term, then so be it.If you wish to clarify your point of view be my guest and let the devil take the hindmost.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/21/2024 at 10:30:53