The Problem of Free Will

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Krumple

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 12:22 am
@elefunte,
Quote:
If there is no God or fate or destiny, than free will as an idea doesn't really exist, although I think you would technically have it, because there is nothing to oppose it, nothing to take it away.
Exactly my point and since we insist on attributing free will to god. I will play along and still make my claim:

You don't have free will to chose neither god or no god. Where is option C?

The question works for everything else but not this one question. Why? I have a theory that the concept isn't about picking it's about forced decision.

You didn't have the option of not being born so you MUST play the game. That is rather cruel once again. Like forcing someone to play a sport they hate.

So people came up with this free will concept to kind of take the weight off the forced decision you HAVE to make as if you really have a choice. You don't...

TickTockMan

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 04:08 pm
@Krumple,
I don't know why everyone makes such a big deal out of this whole "Free Will" thing. I mean, it's not like we have any control over it.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 07:56 pm
@Astovio,
Astovio wrote:
Ok I get your point. It all seems to be pointing to exactly what is the definition of free will?

If free will is defined as one's ability to do whatever they want, then as you described, the answer is obviously no.

Is free will the ability to do what you want? If so, than the answer is obviously yes.

Here's where it gets hairy. Is free will the ability want and act on that want. I'm not sure if that makes sense. Am I capable of actually wanting chocolate ice cream? Is that want really my want, or is that a feeling instilled in me by some higher power or destiny? Are our feelings our own? Do you have any control over what you want? So that more explains what I said earlier. Depending on your stand on predestination, and your definition of free will, the answer may vary.

I agree that free will usually turns up in discussions about God. The concept of free will almost seems dependent on the fact that there could be otherwise, i.e. a God that controls every thing and every emotion. If there is no God or fate or destiny, than free will as an idea doesn't really exist, although I think you would technically have it, because there is nothing to oppose it, nothing to take it away.

I'm kind of thinking out loud, so go ahead and rip that apart. I suppose I just don't understand the question. "Do we have free will?" I don't know. What exactly is free will?

Well, obviously, it is my want. It is no one else's want. You are asking where that want comes from. How is it caused? Well, it might (say) be caused by my having been given a drug which compels me to want to do what I want to do. Or, by a post-hypnotic suggestion, if you have seen either version of the film, "The Manchurian Candidate" you know what I mean. In that case, of course, since I was compelled to want what I wanted, and did what I wanted (say) then I was not acting freely. But, now, suppose that what caused me to want to do what I wanted to do, and what I did do, was not something that compelled (or forced) we to want to do what I did. Suppose, for instance, that my friend recommended a restaurant to me, and suggested that he thought I might like the food there, and the atmosphere. And, as a result of his recommendation, I went to the restaurant. Did I go of my own free will? I would say so. Why would anyone say I did not go of my own free will? I was not forced to go.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 16 May, 2009 08:24 am
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan wrote:
I don't know why everyone makes such a big deal out of this whole "Free Will" thing. I mean, it's not like we have any control over it.

Control over what? What we do? Of course we (often) have control over what we do. I have control over what I am writing to you, for instance.

Astovio

Reply Sat 16 May, 2009 01:50 pm
@elefunte,
Quote:
Control over what? What we do? Of course we (often) have control over what we do. I have control over what I am writing to you, for instance.
He's saying we don't have control over whether or not we have free will. And I have to agree with him. We have the illusion of free will, which is all that really matters, no? We believe and feel we have control over what we do, and that illusion is all that really makes a difference in our lives anyways. After further pondering this question, I've come to the realization that the whole discussion is rather pointless. Free will is only an illusion. An illusion we have. To try and apply more tangible notion to the idea of free will, is both a) impossible, since we can't really prove the existence, or lack thereof, of a higher being, and b) Irrelevant, because the illusion of free will is all that means anything to us anyways.

Quote:
Well, obviously, it is my want. It is no one else's want. You are asking where that want comes from. How is it caused? Well, it might (say) be caused by my having been given a drug which compels me to want to do what I want to do. Or, by a post-hypnotic suggestion, if you have seen either version of the film, "The Manchurian Candidate" you know what I mean. In that case, of course, since I was compelled to want what I wanted, and did what I wanted (say) then I was not acting freely. But, now, suppose that what caused me to want to do what I wanted to do, and what I did do, was not something that compelled (or forced) we to want to do what I did. Suppose, for instance, that my friend recommended a restaurant to me, and suggested that he thought I might like the food there, and the atmosphere. And, as a result of his recommendation, I went to the restaurant. Did I go of my own free will? I would say so. Why would anyone say I did not go of my own free will? I was not forced to go.
Just to clarify, thats not what I meant by whether or not a want was your own. Most people that believe in a higher deity believe 'God' has control over the physical world around us. I'm saying that God would have control over our feelings and ideas as well. The want, although it seems like it is my own, is actually instilled in me by God. I have zero control over anything at all. Not even my own feelings. I said earlier, when searching for the definition "Is free will the ability to want? Are our feelings our own?" Does free will mean I have my own feelings and ideas?

This question might just be impossible to answer. But as I said above, I don't think it's at all relevant. We have, at the very least, the illusion of free will, and thats all that makes a difference in our lives.

Altheia

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 06:28 am
@elefunte,
Elefunte, here is a link that might be very useful to you: Philosophy: Free Will vs. Determinism: WSM Explains Limited Free Will over Determinism

Astovio, the question of free will is more than relevant, and that is why it is taught to many people who have a scientific backround, and even to soon-to-be doctors. It is relevant for a very simple reason that has been realised centuries ago: without free will, there is no morality. And let me make this clearer: if there is no free will, than we are not responsible of our actions, since they are all the effects of causes we did not ourselves trigger. If there is no free will, there is no distinction between nature and nurture, and we cannot judge a criminal more guilty of a crime he committed than we can judge a man guilty of having white or black skin, since both of them are just the reasult of causality, meaning determinism.
Finally I would like to point out that God has not much to do with free will anymore. Of course originally free will was introduced by christianity as necessary (we must be responsible of our actions, meaning we can choose between good and bad, because if we can't then it means God has predetermined us to be good or bad and then God would be responsible for all evil and that was contradictory). God, as causa sui, "cause of itself", would be the very first cause in determinism, from which all the others were started, and it would have had an intention. But that, unlike determinism which is proved scientifically, is just a belief, and reason cannot prove it.
So as Kant said, free will is necessary to morality, but natural sciences exclude it. Hence the dilemma.
But I myself have been wondering about this question for a while now, and I haven't found any answer. But the question of free will is crucial ; for if we do not have free will, what is the subject (meaning "I" or Descartes' cogito). If free will is only an illusion we have, once we don't believe in it anymore, we end up considering that a murderer is not more responsible of the murder than one is responsible of the color of one's eyes.

kennethamy

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 09:31 am
@Astovio,
Astovio;63442 wrote:
He's saying we don't have control over whether or not we have free will. And I have to agree with him. We have the illusion of free will, which is all that really matters, no? We believe and feel we have control over what we do, and that illusion is all that really makes a difference in our lives anyways. After further pondering this question, I've come to the realization that the whole discussion is rather pointless. Free will is only an illusion. An illusion we have.

Have you any particular reason to think that free will is an illusion, or should we just take your word for it? Suppose I am at a wedding, I have heard that the groom does not want to marry the bride, but is being forced to do so by threats of mayhem if he refuses. So, I ask my companion whether the groom is marrying of his own free will, and she says. "Oh yes. He loves Betsy. That was just rumor being passed around by his enemies". Suppose my companion is right. Is it just an illusion that the groom is marrying of his own free will?

Eudaimon

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 10:15 am
@Altheia,
Alètheia;65225 wrote:
It is relevant for a very simple reason that has been realised centuries ago: without free will, there is no morality. And let me make this clearer: if there is no free will, than we are not responsible of our actions, since they are all the effects of causes we did not ourselves trigger. If there is no free will, there is no distinction between nature and nurture, and we cannot judge a criminal more guilty of a crime he committed than we can judge a man guilty of having white or black skin, since both of them are just the reasult of causality, meaning determinism.

Aha! But is it possible for me to choose to judge or not to judge a criminal if there is no free will?
On the hand, I have to ask everybody here, without science. Is it possible to prefer what is worse. I mean that when some one does choice, it always appears to him due to some reasons that it is better to choose this! Does it mean there is no free will?

kennethamy

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 11:13 am
@Eudaimon,
Eudaimon;65240 wrote:
Aha! But is it possible for me to choose to judge or not to judge a criminal if there is no free will?
On the hand, I have to ask everybody here, without science. Is it possible to prefer what is worse. I mean that when some one does choice, it always appears to him due to some reasons that it is better to choose this! Does it mean there is no free will?

That need not be true. People often choose to do things which they are quite sure will turn out badly for them in the long run, or even pretty soon, but they choose it anyway, and take the consequences. Insofar as people make choices, and they are not under compulsion, they choose of their own free will. Isn't that what we mean by, "choosing freely"?

Eudaimon

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 12:36 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;65245 wrote:
That need not be true. People often choose to do things which they are quite sure will turn out badly for them in the long run, or even pretty soon, but they choose it anyway, and take the consequences. Insofar as people make choices, and they are not under compulsion, they choose of their own free will. Isn't that what we mean by, "choosing freely"?

Although they may know that it will turn out to be bad some time, they ignore that because for the sake of minute satisfaction which due to some misunderstanding appears to be worth than not to be exposed to those bad consequences. Or, is choice based on nothing? Just spontaneous?

Altheia

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 08:01 pm
@elefunte,
You say choosing without being under compulsion...
I think we seriously need to give a clear definition of free will here otherwise we won't be getting anywhere. If we understand free will as the capacity to choose without there being a cause to our choice, without there being any influence, then it seems like there is no free will, because we were always influenced, since the day we were born, just by being in contact with the outer world. Then the question is, again, what is the subject, and what is "I", if we exclude everything which falls under determinism...
Please tell me if I am not being clear because I really wish to discuss this, but if we don't understand what the other is talking about it will be a meaningless dialogue.

kennethamy

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 11:38 pm
@Eudaimon,
Eudaimon;65256 wrote:
Although they may know that it will turn out to be bad some time, they ignore that because for the sake of minute satisfaction which due to some misunderstanding appears to be worth than not to be exposed to those bad consequences. Or, is choice based on nothing? Just spontaneous?

Well yes, of course. That is what I said. They know they are choosing what is bad for them, but they do it anyway. You haven't contradicted what I said. In fact, you just repeated it.

I did not say that the choice is not caused by anything. Of course it is. I just said that the cause of their choice, whatever it is, did not force them to make that choice. So they acted of their own free will. A person who gets married and chooses his wife because he loves her, is being caused to choose. But he was not forced to choose her. He acted freely.

---------- Post added at 01:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:38 AM ----------

Alètheia;65315 wrote:
You say choosing without being under compulsion...
I think we seriously need to give a clear definition of free will here otherwise we won't be getting anywhere. If we understand free will as the capacity to choose without there being a cause to our choice, without there being any influence, then it seems like there is no free will, because we were always influenced, since the day we were born, just by being in contact with the outer world. Then the question is, again, what is the subject, and what is "I", if we exclude everything which falls under determinism...
Please tell me if I am not being clear because I really wish to discuss this, but if we don't understand what the other is talking about it will be a meaningless dialogue.

Why should anyone understand free will in the way you have described, as being the result of a random choice? No one I know of understands it in that way. A person who acts freely is a person who acts for a reason, but is not being forced to act that way. If I decide to marry someone because I love her, I am not choosing her randomly. I have a good reason for choosing to marry her. I love her. But why would anyone want to say that I have been compelled to choose her, and therefore, I am not acting freely? It is exactly because I have chosen her because I love her and, therefore, I want to marry her, that I am freely choosing her. In fact, if I chose her randomly, or "spontaneously" (as another poster put it) I would then not be morally responsible for the choice. It would be something that just came "out of the blue". That would hardly be what I would call freedom of the will. It would be impulsivity.

Altheia

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 06:30 am
@kennethamy,
I think I got what you meant. But what distinction do you make exactly between being forced to and caused to? The whole issue of determinism vs free will, which has been a philosophical polemic at least since Spinoza, lies in the definition of free will I gave (and that I didn't invent ^^'). If the definition you give was universal, then there wouldn't even be an issue at all.
And then, why would acting out of love be considered more moral then acting spontaneously? Oscar Wilde wrote that "all influence is immoral - immoral from a scientific point of view". Because where is the limit? When can you be considered responsible, or not?

kennethamy

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 11:15 am
@Altheia,
Alètheia;65357 wrote:
I think I got what you meant. But what distinction do you make exactly between being forced to and caused to? The whole issue of determinism vs free will, which has been a philosophical polemic at least since Spinoza, lies in the definition of free will I gave (and that I didn't invent ^^'). If the definition you give was universal, then there wouldn't even be an issue at all.
And then, why would acting out of love be considered more moral then acting spontaneously? Oscar Wilde wrote that "all influence is immoral - immoral from a scientific point of view". Because where is the limit? When can you be considered responsible, or not?

For one thing, I am forced to do something when I don't want to do it, but I can be caused to do something I want to do. Indeed, I do it because I want to do it. Being forced is one kind of cause. But much causing is not forcing. Suppose the cause of my going to a certain restaurant is that my friend suggested that I go. No one would say that I was forced to go by my friend's suggestion. So, if I am forced, then I am caused. But if I am cause, I need not be forced.

If someone holds a gun to my head, and orders me to hand over all the money in my drawer, then I am forced. Wouldn't you say? And to that extent, I have a good excuse for handing over the money, and to that extent, I should not be held responsible for doing so. But if I am told that unless I hand over the money, the robber will burst into tears, then, I would think that the threat is not strong enough to constitute an excuse. Don't you agree?

Altheia

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 07:57 pm
@elefunte,
I agree, but I don't think it changes the problem. Wanting in itself is a cause. Every time we make a choice, there is a cause to it. Free will isn't just will. Although our choices may be the results of our will, it is never of our free will (see definition of free) for even our will has a cause.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 12:44 am
@Altheia,
Alètheia;65468 wrote:
I agree, but I don't think it changes the problem. Wanting in itself is a cause. Every time we make a choice, there is a cause to it. Free will isn't just will. Although our choices may be the results of our will, it is never of our free will (see definition of free) for even our will has a cause.

Of course wanting something is part or the reason (cause) you try to acquire it. And the other part is your belief that you can acquire it in a particular way. So, for instance, if someone asks you, why did you cross the street, you may explain by saying, I wanted to speak with my friend (want) and I believed he was across the street (belief).

It is also true that our wants and beliefs are caused. I don't deny that. But why should that (by itself) mean that I did not do what I did, of my own free will? There are, after all, different kinds of causes for what we do. If my wanting to speak to my friend is not something that is forced on me, and I want to speak to him because I like him, and want to tell him a joke, that is one thing. But, if someone is threatening me with a gun to make me do something that I do not want to do (like talk to the person) well, that is quite a different thing. In the first case, there are causes for my wanting to cross the street, but I am not compelled to cross the street. I want to. In the second case, I do not want to cross the street, but I am forced to. So, in both cases, I cross the street. But in the first case, I do it of my own free will; in the second case, I do not do it of my own free will. So it isn't causation as such which is the factor we have to consider, but the kind of causation.

Satan phil

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 01:39 am
@elefunte,
I think Hume had it right, determinism is false but free will is incoherent, if by free you mean uncaused. The kind of free will we really want is the kind that kennethamy is talking about, freedom from external agency. Unless someone held a gun to your head, the source of your bad actions is you and the particular causes and effects of how you brought them about are irrelevant.

Eudaimon

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 03:00 am
@Altheia,
kennethamy;65494 wrote:
Of course wanting something is part or the reason (cause) you try to acquire it...
It is also true that our wants and beliefs are caused. I don't deny that... But, if someone is threatening me with a gun to make me do something that I do not want to do (like talk to the person) well, that is quite a different thing. In the first case, there are causes for my wanting to cross the street, but I am not compelled to cross the street. I want to. In the second case, I do not want to cross the street, but I am forced to. So, in both cases, I cross the street. But in the first case, I do it of my own free will; in the second case, I do not do it of my own free will. So it isn't causation as such which is the factor we have to consider, but the kind of causation.

It is interesting for me to read that one particular cause -- physical forcing is liable to penalty and all the other are not! If thou preferst to do something with gun at thy head, is it not because thou valuest thy life so much? And if some one is raised in environment where killing, robbery, prostitution are quite usual or if he has, as they like to say to-day "bad genes", or... find another reason thyself, they are innumerable, why is this liable to penalty? Wantest an answer? It is just because we are living in society where these causes are considered to be excusable, read: because of our conditioning.
Alètheia;65468 wrote:

I do understand what thou meanst. Free will is used to justify our cruelty to convicts, our "stability". Otherwise, I deem, we would never credit it such significance.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 05:06 am
@Satan phil,
Satan;65500 wrote:
I think Hume had it right, determinism is false but free will is incoherent, if by free you mean uncaused. The kind of free will we really want is the kind that kennethamy is talking about, freedom from external agency. Unless someone held a gun to your head, the source of your bad actions is you and the particular causes and effects of how you brought them about are irrelevant.

Not merely external agency. You are not free if an obsession (say hand-washing) forces you to wash your hands every three minutes. How your actions were brought about is very relevant. If the cause is a compulsion, you are not free.

Altheia

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 06:22 am
@kennethamy,
Satan, what do you mean determinism is false?
And then you wrote "Unless someone held a gun to your head, the source of your bad actions is you and the particular causes and effects of how you brought them about are irrelevant. "
Well, not that irrelevant in the eye of justice now, is it? Since a criminal won't be judged the same way according to the circumstances of his crime, not even mentionning the fact that if he is judged crazy or mad (meaning as an illness) he'll be sent in a hospital and not in prison... Justice also distinguishes crime done out of passion, etc. As Kennethamy pointed out, "how your actions were brought about is very relevant. If the cause is a compulsion, you are not free."

But then Kennethamy, how is compulsion different from passion? How is the obsession of hand-washing, which forces you to wash your hand every 3 minutes, and the obsession of the person you love for instance, which causes you to act in such and such ways, different? The definition you give of free will seems to be a necessary one for our society, one without which there would be no morality and no responsability. However, it is still a distinction (depending on the kind of causation, as you said) which is rather artificial, merely invented. It is a limit we created in order not to fall in such a philosophy as Nietzsche's. You didn't answer Eudaimon's post, but the arguments he pointed out deserve to be considered: indeed, "if some one is raised in environment where killing, robbery, prostitution are quite usual or if he has, as they like to say to-day "bad genes", or... find another reason thyself, they are innumerable, why is this liable to penalty?"

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 05/05/2024 at 03:01:47