respectful people vs obnoxious people

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

deepthot

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 01:18 am
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic;139423 wrote:
Is this your quote Deepthot? I believe that this will be a famous historical quote if it is not already! The wise extend their 'ethical radius' and sweep in more, and ever more, as part of their family Smile

Hi rl,

You say you like the quote,"The wise extend their 'ethical radius' and sweep in more, and ever more, as part of their family and you ask its origination."

Yes, it is written by yours truly. I was quoting myself.

The concept is elaborated upon in my booklet, LIVING THE GOOD LIFE. I offer it there as an ethical principle. Each of us may ask ourselves the question, How large is my in-group, my circle?

Why limit it?

bmcreider

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 12:56 pm
@deepthot,
deepthot;139803 wrote:
Hi rl,

You say you like the quote,"The wise extend their 'ethical radius' and sweep in more, and ever more, as part of their family and you ask its origination."

Yes, it is written by yours truly. I was quoting myself.

The concept is elaborated upon in my booklet, LIVING THE GOOD LIFE. I offer it there as an ethical principle. Each of us may ask ourselves the question, How large is my in-group, my circle?

Why limit it?

This is probably a horrible addition to your post, but, I was reminded of this from some years ago:

What is the Monkeysphere? | Cracked.com

Even if that is total BS, is there a physical limit to the size of the circle, or can we treat 1000 different people each as well as they deserve?

reasoning logic

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 03:33 pm
@bmcreider,
bmcreider;152889 wrote:
This is probably a horrible addition to your post, but, I was reminded of this from some years ago:

Even if that is total BS, is there a physical limit to the size of the circle, or can we treat 1000 different people each as well as they deserve?

Thank you for sharing this with us.Smile I think that it is probably [not] bull $hit, seems that it may be some what correct to me. [just twisted for the author's point of view.] A big difference that I see between monkeys and humans is that humans are able to get past some of the animal ignorance in us.
Yes I do think we are animals but we can see a profit $$$ and a better psychology in ethics and I doubt that a chimp could ever come close to doing that. Many of us are not able to see this profit but it is coming along. It is a very slow progress that will never see the end result but your children will be able to reap the profits of your studies in neurophilosophy and ethics.

I wonder if the millions of dollars spent on training the employees ethics has helped my company to be one of the most profitable companies in all the countries that we are located in around the world?:detective:

bmcreider

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 11:12 pm
@reasoning logic,
I don't think they call it work-ethic for nothing. I think it ethics would definitely have some role in the success of a company. I'm glad you liked the link.

reasoning logic

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 06:20 am
@bmcreider,
bmcreider;152889 wrote:

I forgot to give a answer for your question.
[Even if that is total BS, is there a physical limit to the size of the circle, or can we treat 1000 different people each as well as they deserve? ]
I try to treat every one equally as I would treat my own mother, now I do realize that I may never have the same emotional response as I have for my mother. I think this should be our ultimate goal.

deepthot

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2010 02:09 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic;153158 wrote:
...[Even if there is] a physical limit to the size of the circle...
I try to treat every one equally as I would treat my own mother, now I do realize that I may never have the same emotional response as I have for my mother. I think this should be our ultimate goal.

rl,

Very well said !! You really do have empathic sensitivity and are a true citizen of the 21st Century.

I admire you for your ethical insight. You are a model for all those in future generations. Eventually the majority of humans will catch up with the fine example you set.

I find there is no problem in identifying with the planet, Saturn, or with a family in Siberia I have yet to meet; they are part of my web of life. I feel at home in the universe.

kennethamy

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2010 02:12 pm
@deepthot,
deepthot;156501 wrote:
rl,

I find there is no problem in identifying with the planet, Saturn, .

You identify with a planet? How do you do that? You don't think you are a planet, do you?

reasoning logic

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2010 06:39 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;156503 wrote:
You identify with a planet? How do you do that? You don't think you are a planet, do you?[/QUOTE00]
I hope that Deepthot dont mind but I would like to guess on this one. I think that he could be metaphorically speaking but I could always be wrong. I often wonder about a phrase spoken by Jesus when he says that if you seen me than you have seen my father. Could this be the same as if kennethamy said that if you seen me than you have seen my father?
Meaning that all of the thoughts that kennethamy valued would be shown threw his actions, as if these thoughts would be what he cared about [worshiped.] [his god so to speak] I do realise that I have wandered far from the typical way of thinking but at least I am not making an absolute of this claim, as I surely could be wrong:).

kennethamy

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2010 09:51 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic;156588 wrote:
kennethamy;156503 wrote:
You identify with a planet? How do you do that? You don't think you are a planet, do you?[/QUOTE00]
I hope that Deepthot dont mind but I would like to guess on this one. I think that he could be metaphorically speaking but I could always be wrong. I often wonder about a phrase spoken by Jesus when he says that if you seen me than you have seen my father. Could this be the same as if kennethamy said that if you seen me than you have seen my father?
Meaning that all of the thoughts that kennethamy valued would be shown threw his actions, as if these thoughts would be what he cared about [worshiped.] [his god so to speak] I do realise that I have wandered far from the typical way of thinking but at least I am not making an absolute of this claim, as I surely could be wrong:).

I would imagine that Jesus would have meant that he and his Father were identical. Wouldn't you? And so Christian doctrine has it. Jesus, His Father, and The Holy Ghost are one and the same Person. Obviously I believe that my father and I are separate people, but in the case of Jesus, Christian doctrine has it the Jesus and His Father were one and the same Person. I guess that is because Jesus and I are different.

Since people are fallible creatures, everyone could be wrong about what he claims.

But I still don't understand how (or why) anyone would identify with a planet.

deepthot

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 01:02 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;156503 wrote:
You identify with a planet? How do you do that? You don't think you are a planet, do you?

I feel at one with it.

"identify (verb used with an object): to associate in name, feeling, interest, action, etc. (usually fol. by with): He preferred not to identify himself with that group." ------- Dictionary.com

The above is the meaning of 'to identify with' that is relevant here. I and that planet are in the same universe, one in which I feel at home. The observation I made of the planet once through a telescope is a part of my personal experience, and is thus, in a sense, a part of my life. Of course not everything I identify with is identical with me; that should be obvious.
The closest dictionary meaning here would be: "...to associate in interest...". What I give my focused attention to I am starting to identify with, starting to bond with, in a sense. The process was called by Husserl "Intentionaality." Robert S. Hartman dubbed it: Intrinsic valuation.

What I intrinsically value I form a continuum with; and in a sense I am giving myself to it.

I value Saturn as a beautiful segment of nature to behold. "Beauty" may be defined as: "the Intrinsic valuation of things."

Is this clear? Has it helped?

HexHammer

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 08:26 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;156636 wrote:
But I still don't understand how (or why) anyone would identify with a planet.
It's simple ..we identify us selves with what values we give things. We value the moon for it's beauty, thus some will associate themselfs with the moon, or the planet Venus as it has certain associations of beauty and such.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.05 seconds on 07/26/2024 at 08:36:11