respectful people vs obnoxious people

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Ethics
  3. » respectful people vs obnoxious people

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 03:43 pm
[respectful people vs obnoxious people]

It does seem that we will have many people on this forum at times that will be obnoxious.
I realy do not have much to say on this matter other than they have alot of insight to offer us on how their minds work.
I do think that their minds could be studied as a science rather than to try and put them in their place. I think that we should reframe from the emotional responses and instead use their info in the field of ethics and pyschology. Smile

[A different point of view]
It does seem that we will have many people on this forum who think that they are respectful or [self-righteous] and are not able to handle constructive criticism.

I realy do not have much to say on this matter other than they have alot of insight to offer us on how their minds work.
I do think that their minds could be studied as a science and use their info in the field of ethics and pyschology. Smile

Twirlip

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 03:57 pm
@reasoning logic,
I've had a similar thought, which is that events taking place within a philosophical forum could be used as a test of philosophical theories.

Fido

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 06:59 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic;133633 wrote:
[respectful people vs obnoxious people]

It does seem that we will have many people on this forum at times that will be obnoxious.
I do think that their minds could be studied as a science rather than to try and put them in their place. I think that we should reframe from the emotional responses and instead use their info in the field of ethics and pyschology. Smile

Minds are infinites and as such, are moral realities rather than physical realities, and science only deals with finite and physical reality..Psychology compared to science is pseudo science, but it is still a part of philosophy, which generally deals with moral forms and infinites...

prothero

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 07:13 pm
@reasoning logic,
Well it is much easier to be obnoxious and disrespectful in an anonymous medium such as a forum or chat room. Some who are so in a forum might be entirely pleasant in person. Also it is easier to misconstrue tone in a medium such as this.
In general you can ignore them, respond with a real argument, or point out that insults do not constitute a philosophical argument. It is the same in all forums.

kennethamy

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 07:54 pm
@prothero,
prothero;133689 wrote:
Well it is much easier to be obnoxious and disrespectful in an anonymous medium such as a forum or chat room. Some who are so in a forum might be entirely pleasant in person. Also it is easier to misconstrue tone in a medium such as this.
In general you can ignore them, respond with a real argument, or point out that insults do not constitute a philosophical argument. It is the same in all forums.

Someone said that character is what you are when no one is looking.

Fido

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 09:14 pm
@reasoning logic,
Cyberspace has a billion eyes and one brain...

bmcreider

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 12:43 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;133712 wrote:

I agree. If you do the right thing when you could get away with doing wrong, you are a moral person.

Reconstructo

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 02:03 am
@Fido,
Fido;133684 wrote:
Psychology compared to science is pseudo science, but it is still a part of philosophy, which generally deals with moral forms and infinites...

Yes, you're right, because psychology (excepting Skinnerism) is poetry, metaphor, logos....necessarily indistinct. But philosophy is in the same boat. Logos is slippery, but it's only by means of the logos that the transcendental is inferred, as well as empirical "truth" concerning the psyche. A good psychologist will be aware that his science is soft (Jung--ignore the haters).... but soft science is not necessarily inferior, but merely fuzzy....

Fido

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 11:57 am
@bmcreider,
bmcreider;133927 wrote:
I agree. If you do the right thing when you could get away with doing wrong, you are a moral person.

We are all moral people, even the immoral ones, because it is not a judgement, but a context in which judgements are made that none of us can escape...

fast

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 01:10 pm
@reasoning logic,
Some people who are often respectful resort to being obnoxious, and there's probably a reason for it-like not getting one's way when perhaps they should.

Yes, you may catch more flies with honey (more often than not), but obnoxious people have (I believe) a higher success rate at accomplishing certain tasks (e.g. returning an item without a receipt). Some people take no for an answer, and some people don't, and when no is the answer, respectful people sometimes walk away with the understanding that no means no, but some people may become obnoxious and determined, and though they may walk away, they may not walk away with quite the same understanding, and though obnoxiousness is not necessarily a trait worthy of our admiration, people who successfully produce results when respectful people fail tends to make me think.

It depends on what's more important to you. If you're interested in results, then try to be nice, and if that doesn't work, try again, and if it still doesn't work, then do what often does work-which may include not being so nice. We are told that there is a time and place for all things, and that just may include acting in such ways that we do not all like.

Jebediah

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 01:35 pm
@reasoning logic,
If people are obnoxious it would seem like it's because they think it is warranted. The person returning the item without the receipt thinks that getting their money back is justice.

People who are obnoxious a lot of the time have a weird view of what warrants the rudeness. That's the real issue. Some people believe that a post having poor spelling is such an affront that it deserves derision, for example.

Krumple

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 02:07 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;133712 wrote:

When no one is looking, I no longer exist.

Zetherin

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 02:22 pm
@prothero,
prothero;133689 wrote:

Boy would that help so many of these cases. :a-ok:

Twirlip

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 02:39 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple;134178 wrote:

Thanks for reminding me that I must add Berkeley to the list of philosophers to study!
Quote:
PHILONOUS: The brain therefore you speak of, being a sensible thing,
exists only in the mind. Now, I would fain know whether you think it
reasonable to suppose, that one idea or thing existing in the mind,
occasions all other ideas. And if you think so, pray how do you account
for the origin of that primary idea or brain itself?
What fun.
Quote:
PHILONOUS: Ay, but here lies the difference. Men commonly believe
that all things are known or perceived by God, because they believe the
being of a God, whereas I on the other side, immediately and necessarily
conclude the being of a God, because all sensible things must be
perceived by him.
Can't get enough of that stuff.
Quote:
PHILONOUS: You see, Hylas, the water of yonder fountain, how it is
forced upwards, in a round column, to a certain height; at which it breaks
and falls back into the basin from whence it rose: its ascent as well as
descent, proceeding from the same uniform law or principle of
gravitation. Just so, the same principles which at first view lead to
scepticism, pursued to a certain point, bring men back to common sense.
Berkeley, Schopenhauer and Heidegger would make a heady brew, right enough. :drinking:

reasoning logic

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 05:09 pm
@Twirlip,
I changed post #1 so that both parties may want to share their view points.:detective:

Fido

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 06:16 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple;134178 wrote:

What usual leads you to believe you exist???

Krumple

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 07:19 pm
@Fido,
Fido;134234 wrote:
What usual leads you to believe you exist???

When you ask me questions.

kennethamy

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 07:43 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple;134178 wrote:

Sorry to hear you feel that way. Have you sought help?

Fido

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 09:00 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple;134264 wrote:
When you ask me questions.

No matter how many questions I ask, you will only live, and humanity will exist...

Jebediah

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 10:50 pm
@Fido,
I actually think etiquette is a very interesting subject. It's sort of like "mini-morality". I think this is a good fit for the ethics forum. Usually it isn't discussed at all, people just say "this is rude, this isn't".

People disagree on this forum, so perhaps they should put their ideas up for debate. Is it ok to be rude to people for "being foolish" or "not posting a decent argument"? I believe HexHammer in his thread referred to it as "bursting naive peoples' bubbles".

I think a lot of rudeness comes from enforcing rules of etiquette, ironically. Like the spelling example earlier, or the bits about dismissing someones argument for not being up to forum standards. I've seen people (on other forums mostly) be angry just because someone is wrong about something.

Maybe that's just fine for them, but from my own experience, when I'm rude it's either by accident or because I've gotten miffed about something (usually someone else being rude, or me perceiving it that way). It just seems better to relax and not have as strict a rule set. Why let things get to you if you can help it? Bickering isn't exactly pleasant and doesn't accomplish much.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Ethics
  3. » respectful people vs obnoxious people
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/17/2024 at 09:28:33