Is the Death Penalty Justifiable?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Fido

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 12:18 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;105701 wrote:
Why do you place quotes around the word, justify?

All things which are just are clearly just, and so their result is good...When ever peeople do what is clearly wrong, out comes the rationalizations, and justifications... What I did though clearly wrong was from that distant perspective understandable, even acceptable...No one ever has to explain the doing of good as justice is, so they can do it and as soon get over it...No defense required...

kennethamy

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 07:52 am
@Fido,
Fido;105745 wrote:
All things which are just are clearly just, and so their result is good...When ever peeople do what is clearly wrong, out comes the rationalizations, and justifications... What I did though clearly wrong was from that distant perspective understandable, even acceptable...No one ever has to explain the doing of good as justice is, so they can do it and as soon get over it...No defense required...

Did you answer my question of why the quotes around the word, justify? If you did, I did not understand your answer. Could you please try again?

Fido

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 08:25 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;105806 wrote:
Did you answer my question of why the quotes around the word, justify? If you did, I did not understand your answer. Could you please try again?

Justify does not have the meaning we generally take from it; and in fact almost always connotes something other than the standard, or common definition...Look at the word: Just, with facere, where we get our word factory, to make Just...Can words make any unjust act just??? We have the word in relation to God, of being justified by acts, or justified by faith, or justified by grace; and perhaps if there is God then God has that power... But, you should think of the word as we consider the word cleave, which can mean bind together or split apart... What needs justification is unjust, and cannot be justified with words....Every justice is just by intent and result...Whether the word justify is in quotation marks or not, we should see it for what it is, as a loaded word hardly ever meaning what it says...

kennethamy

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 08:38 am
@Fido,
Fido;105823 wrote:
Justify does not have the meaning we generally take from it; and in fact almost always connotes something other than the standard, or common definition...Look at the word: Just, with facere, where we get our word factory, to make Just...Can words make any unjust act just??? We have the word in relation to God, of being justified by acts, or justified by faith, or justified by grace; and perhaps if there is God then God has that power... But, you should think of the word as we consider the word cleave, which can mean bind together or split apart... What needs justification is unjust, and cannot be justified with words....Every justice is just by intent and result...Whether the word justify is in quotation marks or not, we should see it for what it is, as a loaded word hardly ever meaning what it says...

I am still confused. I suppose you don't mean by justify with quotes, what justify means without quotes. Without quotes, it means something like, show what is justified (in this case, the death penalty) is (sometimes) the right thing to do. That sometimes it is right to impose the death penalty. If you meant that, then you would not place quotes around the term, justify. So, my question is, what were you trying to indicate when you did place quotes around the word, justify? That is what I do not understand. Suppose I ask, "Can the death penalty ever be justified?" Would you put quotes around the term, justified in that sentence. And, if so, why? Of course that you happen to believe that the death penalty cannot be justified, does not show it cannot be justified, and certainly does not show that no one can try to justify it. Does it?

Fido

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 08:57 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;105825 wrote:
I am still confused. I suppose you don't mean by justify with quotes, what justify means without quotes. Without quotes, it means something like, show what is justified (in this case, the death penalty) is (sometimes) the right thing to do. That sometimes it is right to impose the death penalty. If you meant that, then you would not place quotes around the term, justify. So, my question is, what were you trying to indicate when you did place quotes around the word, justify? That is what I do not understand. Suppose I ask, "Can the death penalty ever be justified?" Would you put quotes around the term, justified in that sentence. And, if so, why? Of course that you happen to believe that the death penalty cannot be justified, does not show it cannot be justified, and certainly does not show that no one can try to justify it. Does it?

What it actually means is make just, which no one can do with words, and yet we use it in exacly this sense...What is just never needs to be justified, and what is unjust can never be justified no matter how hard people try with words to do so... It is an example of a word used intentionally against its definition... Just more stupid talk, really...The individual would seldom be served if we could not often do what we should never do, and so reason is brought into play...But morals is a spiritual motivation, and emotional... We do good as we feel, and we do harm as we think we can excuse...Morals are unreasonable...

manored

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 09:12 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;105673 wrote:
But once the State undertakes the prosecution, no one else is involved. In fact, there are instances when the family of the victim has forgiven the murderer, and even testified in his behalf, and asked for leniency in the sentence. It made no difference. The murderer was executed. Justice was served. Revenge had nothing to do with it.
The state is someone, its not an entirely neutral being. Actually, it is, or should be, the "sum" of the will of the nation.

Fido;105745 wrote:
There are no thing that are clearly just or clearly wrong as far as I know, there are only things that are just for many and things that are wrong for many.

fast

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 09:13 am
@Fido,
Fido;105830 wrote:
What is just never needs to be justified, and what is unjust can never be justified no matter how hard people try with words to do so
To justifiy an action is not to make an act just; it's to show that it's just. Sometimes, we need to show that an act is just.

kennethamy

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 10:49 am
@manored,
manored;105835 wrote:
The state is someone, its not an entirely neutral being. Actually, it is, or should be, the "sum" of the will of the nation.

There are no thing that are clearly just or clearly wrong as far as I know, there are only things that are just for many and things that are wrong for many.

The State is not "someone" at all. It is a political entity. And, it is supposed to be neutral. Sometimes, of course, what is supposed to be is not.

Oh, I don't know. It seems to me that torturing, raping, and then killing a little child, is a good candidate for an action that is clearly wrong, as well as "wrong for" most people. Which is to say, something that most people believe is wrong. And, I am sure we can both think of other actions of that kind which are clearly wrong, and not just believed wrong.

fast

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 12:02 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;105868 wrote:
The State is not "someone" at all. It is a political entity. And, it is supposed to be neutral. Sometimes, of course, what is supposed to be is not.

Oh, I don't know. It seems to me that torturing, raping, and then killing a little child, is a good candidate for an action that is clearly wrong, as well as "wrong for" most people. Which is to say, something that most people believe is wrong. And, I am sure we can both think of other actions of that kind which are clearly wrong, and not just believed wrong.

I agree.

I'd like to add that torturing, raping, and then killing a little child is wrong whether it seems that way to you or not, and that is so even if neither of us believed it.

IntoTheLight

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 12:10 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;105701 wrote:
Why do you place quotes around the word, justify?

The word "justify" is a loaded word and has a variety of implications, especially in terms of philosophic discourse.

For example, Fast made a good point earlier: "To justify an action does not make it just".

Because we tend to delve into the semantics of words here, I thought it was appropriate to put the word in quotes.

-ITL-

fast

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 12:22 pm
@IntoTheLight,
IntoTheLight;105879 wrote:
The word "justify" is a loaded word and has a variety of implications, especially in terms of philosophic discourse.

For example, Fast made a good point earlier: "To justify an action does not make it just".

Because we tend to delve into the semantics of words here, I thought it was appropriate to put the word in quotes.

-ITL-

I didn't say that.

IntoTheLight

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 12:23 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;105868 wrote:

Oh, I don't know. It seems to me that torturing, raping, and then killing a little child, is a good candidate for an action that is clearly wrong, as well as "wrong for" most people.

I find this immoral as well. However, you have to consider that different societies (both presently and historically) have different beliefs system. For example, the Spartans of ancient Greece used to regularly practice infanticide because they believed that deformed babies did not have the 'right' to continue to exist because they would make poor warriors. The society itself was founded on the belief that their sole purpose was to raise children to be warriors.

What would be murder and child abuse in our culture was considered moral and justifiable in theirs.

By way of comparison, many native American tribes (eg. Kiowa, Nez Perce, Apache, Comanche, etc) often sent kids between the age of 10-12 out into the wilderness with no food, little clothing, and no weapons so that they could have a Vision Quest to determine who their guardian spirit was.
Many children never came back, either dying of starvation/dehydration, or being killed by wild animals.

In our society, this would be considered child abuse and homicidal negligence, but in their society it was not only moral and justifiable, but also a neccessary rite of personal asscention.

The point is that the concept of what is "just" and "completely wrong" (to use your words below) is completely relative.

Quote:

Which is to say, something that most people believe is wrong. And, I am sure we can both think of other actions of that kind which are clearly wrong, and not just believed wrong.
-ITL-

---------- Post added 11-25-2009 at 10:28 AM ----------

fast;105882 wrote:
I didn't say that.

You didn't?? That's funny. There's a post from you dated 11-25-2009, 07:13 AM, one page back that has your name on it where you said that in response to Fido:

To justifiy an action is not to make an act just; it's to show that it's just. Sometimes, we need to show that an act is just.

True, I only quoted one line, but I don't see how that negatively affects anything.

-ITL-

fast

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 12:50 pm
@fast,
I use italics when I want to emphasize a word. For example, after being questioned, I may say, "I didn't say she stole the money. I said she stole stamps."

I use double quotes for two reasons:

1) I use double quotes when I am quoting someone. For example, Kennethamy said, "there is a difference between the use of a word and the mentioning of a word."

2) I use double quotes when I mention a word. For example, if I don't want to talk about a chair but instead the word, "chair," then I use double quotes-although I need not do so, but it's a legitimate use.

I use single quotes when I want to use a word in a manner in an alternate or unusual way. For example, I never 'cat' around with money. That indicates that I am using the word, "cat" in an unusual way.

Even if the word, "justify" is as you say, "a loaded word [that] has a variety of implications," then using that word without quotes should suffice to convey what you mean to convey. Only if you mean to convey something other than what the word means should you use quotes.

Another thing people do that can bring confusion (other than using quotes when no quote is needed) is using capital letters to make distinctions: for example, truth versus Truth. What the hell is Truth if not truth?

Anyhoots, I hope that helps.

PS: Sometimes, people use double quotes as I would use single quotes, but I haven't figured out why yet.

Also, there are times when I use triple or quadruple quotes, but there's usually a quote of a quote or something else going on.

kennethamy

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 01:03 pm
@IntoTheLight,
IntoTheLight;105879 wrote:

-ITL-

But what did putting it into quotes indicate? What was I supposed to understand by that? I suppose that you used quotes to indicate something to your reader-didn't you?

I was once in a restaurant, and I saw one door marked, ""Women", and another marked, "Men". What do you suppose that meant?

Fido

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 03:25 pm
@manored,
manored;105835 wrote:

Really??? You mean that to do a kindness to some one in need is not just on its face, or that to wrong some one without reason is not unjust???

There is a difference of opinion regarding the justice of the death penalty, and it is a serious thing the state does against the will of many people, so it cannot be just because what people want is always good, which is the only authority they have to give to state, or government in any fashion, to do good in their name because no one has the authority on their own to do evil...What is good should be agreed just before the fact, and the dp is always justified after the fact; but what enters into the decission???Is it the totality of ones life that is judged, what they endured, what the desired, and what they felt about it all... One fraction of a person's life is judged, and no account is made for circumstances...A man was once raped by a man in Florida, and as soon as he was able he killed his attacker, and for that he was himself executed by the state...Can we justify it??? Clearly it was justified to the extent that the powerful ever need more justice than the power to do what they wish....But; justice is not what people say, but what people agree they can do... It is not a one sided coin... Justice can only be had if shared... What ever the dispute, what is justice for one is justice for the other...

---------- Post added 11-25-2009 at 04:49 PM ----------

fast;105836 wrote:

That is the meaning of the word: Make Just... What it has come to mean is to give the appearance of justice...What you may mean in showing that an act is just is: Apology, which in the sense of Socrates' apology means an explanation, and this is true of Plato, since in it, Socrates rather gives Athens the finger than apologizes as we have come to look at the meaning...
People reconcile their emotional needs with justice...Each having equal emotional claim to any prize must settle their claims with force or reason...The reason reason so often prevails is that people really want the relationship, and the life which goes with it, and for that they bargain so each side has enough justice and the honor which attends justice...When Agamemnon with the help of Odysius sent Achilles without anything to cry like a spoiled child among his boats they did not justify, that is, make just their actions by agreement, but mearly enforced their will by threat of force.. What is justified must be made just by agreement and free choice before the fact, or the powerful will always determine what is just after the fact over the bloody bodies of their foes... Yet; this is not how societies function...That is rather the way opposing societies often interact, taking, destroying, and justifying what they do as done...

Much of what is justified in America is done because we are no true nation accepting that honor is essential to all of our lives... We are classes enclosed within a common border where law is used to intimidate, coerce, and other wise deny justice, and it is this situation which is then justified by the winners... But it is not just...

---------- Post added 11-25-2009 at 05:01 PM ----------

kennethamy;105868 wrote:

The state is a legal corporation, which is to say a legal person; but whether the state has any more rights to do what no person can legally or with justice do is a question I answer in the negative... It has all our authority, but no power not our own to only do good exactly as the individual is always free to do...

If you wish the death penalty to be just, get the prisoner to agree that the crime he did and admits to demands death, and then make his own kin do the execution to keep the stain of blood off of the innocent of society...That is the old way, and it worked when communities and families had control of their own...And having control, they were also sworn to avenge anyone outside of their group killing one of theirs...

When blacks can look at whites and think that they are killing blacks out of injustice, because they can, and want to, then it looks more like feud to them demanding a reaction with vengeance... How many of all colors are standing outside of society, with out opportunity or hope, having no affection for the body politic to save them from doing or suffering injustice is a question no one can know the answer to...If we can judge the absolute level of violence as indicative then that number is growing...

kennethamy

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 05:00 pm
@Fido,
Fido;105915 wrote:

If you wish the death penalty to be just, get the prisoner to agree that the crime he did and admits to demands death,

Somehow, I don't think that consulting someone on his own sentence who is parti pris is an intelligent thing to do. I have never heard that the State is incorporated, and, in any case, a legal person is not really a person. It is a legal fiction.

Inquisition

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 05:55 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple;104809 wrote:
Could it be justifiable to put to death an innocent person? A person who for some reason or another slipped through the cracks of the system and wound up on the chopping block. Would that be alright? Maybe that never happens, only the guilty are found guilty. Maybe innocent people are never found guilty of crimes?

I think it would be far worse to put to death an wrongly accused innocent person.

Hi

No system can provide it's citizens with justice, there will always be corruption. To look for justice is to search for something in vain.

So it the death penalty always just. No, of course not. Should it be implemented? well that should be the real question to ask. Just make sure you leave any hope of justice behind.

somewhere i read a great article on the death penalty. If i find it i will surely post the link. Many people cite the effectiveness of the death penalty as a deterrent for crime, and part of the article addressed this.

It said that the types of crimes that will earn you the penalty of death fall under 3 (maybe more) categories. Those of lust, money, and i cannot remember the last one. Point is, and a psychologist would agree, that these crimes cannot be deterred by the fear of death, because they fall outside of normal reason. Meaning the person will commit these crimes regardless of if the penalty for death exists for them or not.

Second it has been widely shown that the expenses of up-keeping and implementing equipment for killing these criminals is often more expensive that it is to give them life in prison.

So in my view, at least, it is expensive and innefective. The only thing remaining then is the thought of serving justice to what you call these "less than human" creatures. Do you think that acheiving this justice is conceivable? and to what end? would killing the person that killed someone you know bring that person back to life? no

would it not be disrespectfull to the memory of the murdered person to say that by killing his killer you have avenged them? that you have set things right. I think nothing can set things right, short of bringing them back to life.

An eye for an eye only leaves the whole world blind.

Furthermore, can you be so sure than your conception of justice is grounded on such truth that you are willing to mandate the taking of someone's life? how can you be sure you are not wrong and therefore committing a sin (in the case you may be religious) or doing society a disservice? This is what Socrates hinted at in his conversation euphyro (sp?)

Also it is another matter to define what it is to be human and what the boundaries are, which after surpassed, makes someone loose their humanity. Is that even possible?

Is it also morally correct to kill anything which is not considered to have human qualities, such as animals?

all these are questions you must ask yourself, and if you feel you can answer them all and be satisfied that you are correct, then yes support the death penalty.

Fido

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 10:06 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;105931 wrote:
Somehow, I don't think that consulting someone on his own sentence who is parti pris is an intelligent thing to do. I have never heard that the State is incorporated, and, in any case, a legal person is not really a person. It is a legal fiction.

Well we are all that...We convict the guilty to preserve our own innocence, but clearly the action is never complete... And we used to do so when we believed even the gods practiced group responsibility, and that all were stained with the blood of the victim if the innocent did not remove the guilty...When people were honorable they could counted on to admit their actions freely...In the discussion of Justice in Ethics, Aristotle quotes Euripides from Orestes: "I slew my mother, that is my tail in brief."
"Were You both willing, or unwilling both?"
As this section is on the question of whether a person can wiillingly be treated unjustly, it is relevent... If the convict agrees with the sentence of death, it is not unjust..I would say that the willingness usually has nothing to do with the suffering of injustice, because it is knowledge which gives people choice... It often happens that people do have the choice between one injustice or another, but that is no choice... And it happens that people are presented with no choice in the course of their lives that often leads to the suffering of injustice as inevitable, and it is not without the intent of others to defraud them of their choice... From my memory, since I have not read all of Aristotle in years, He concluded that people cannot willingly suffer injustice... We will to belong to society and every other relationship we can think of, and must often suffer injustice in the course of maintaining our relationships... Does our need for relationships for which we suffer injustice count as will even when it is clearly an unconscious need we seek to satisfy??? When Orestes killed, it was essential according to the rules of his community, which his mother recognized as fully as he...Yet, upon interrogation he was expected to answer truthfully, as an honorable man...I would have trouble killing some one who professed innocence, or extenuating circumstances... I would not have nearly so much problem with assisting some guilty party who admitted guilt and accepted execution in preference to the humiliation of prison for life...The acceptence of the penalty is the justification of it...That is the act which makes the execution just....

Either feud, or tribal justice as pacticed by Orestes is better than the whole society being fouled by inadvertant injustice...Might does not make right, and nothing is more terrible than might when right is not its first concern...

kennethamy

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 10:21 pm
@Fido,
Fido;106001 wrote:
Well we are all that...We convict the guilty to preserve our own innocence, but clearly the action is never complete... And we used to do so when we believed even the gods practiced group responsibility, and that all were stained with the blood of the victim if the innocent did not remove the guilty...When people were honorable they could counted on to admit their actions freely...In the discussion of Justice in Ethics, Aristotle quotes Euripides from Orestes: "I slew my mother, that is my tail in brief."
"Were You both willing, or unwilling both?"
As this section is on the question of whether a person can wiillingly be treated unjustly, it is relevent... If the convict agrees with the sentence of death, it is not unjust..I would say that the willingness usually has nothing to do with the suffering of injustice, because it is knowledge which gives people choice... It often happens that people do have the choice between one injustice or another, but that is no choice... And it happens that people are presented with no choice in the course of their lives that often leads to the suffering of injustice as inevitable, and it is not without the intent of others to defraud them of their choice... From my memory, since I have not read all of Aristotle in years, He concluded that people cannot willingly suffer injustice... We will to belong to society and every other relationship we can think of, and must often suffer injustice in the course of maintaining our relationships... Does our need for relationships for which we suffer injustice count as will even when it is clearly an unconscious need we seek to satisfy??? When Orestes killed, it was essential according to the rules of his community, which his mother recognized as fully as he...Yet, upon interrogation he was expected to answer truthfully, as an honorable man...I would have trouble killing some one who professed innocence, or extenuating circumstances... I would not have nearly so much problem with assisting some guilty party who admitted guilt and accepted execution in preference to the humiliation of prison for life...The acceptence of the penalty is the justification of it...That is the act which makes the execution just....

Either feud, or tribal justice as pacticed by Orestes is better than the whole society being fouled by inadvertant injustice...Might does not make right, and nothing is more terrible than might when right is not its first concern...

As I wrote, we do not consult people on what their punishment should be because they would clearly not be impartial or disinterested judges. The fact that someone does not think he should be punished in some particular way in no way is a reason not to punish him in that way.

IntoTheLight

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 01:51 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;105887 wrote:
But what did putting it into quotes indicate? What was I supposed to understand by that? I suppose that you used quotes to indicate something to your reader-didn't you?

I was once in a restaurant, and I saw one door marked, ""Women", and another marked, "Men". What do you suppose that meant?

Ho! Ho! Ho! I'm Kennethamy Claus and I've got a bag full of Red Herrings for all the good boys and girls on Philsophy Forum dot com!

-sigh-

Someday, you'll stay on-topic in a thread and it will probably wither every tree on Earth.

-ITL-

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/16/2024 at 09:31:48