Is the Death Penalty Justifiable?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

jeeprs

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 04:53 pm
@Shostakovich phil,
I vote the former. As long as there is a possibility of error then capital punishment should be abolished.

'Proportionality' can also be seen as basically barbaric: "Kill, therefore you will be killed". Why not just institute something like Sharia law and be done with it? Answer: because in a Christian civilization, there is the recognition of such factors as the possibility that a wrong-doer might repent and see the evil of his/her ways. As the alternative is eternal punishment, then this is not an inconsiderable matter.

So justice must always be tempered with mercy, lest we become like those whom we seek to punish.

Fido

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 05:01 pm
@Caroline,
Caroline;104911 wrote:
It has everything to do with it, you don't want to die for something you didn't do if you're going to be wrongly accused of something which does happen sometimes would you rather live in a country that doesn't have capital punishment or would you rather die at the hands of a country that does have it, I know which one I'd rather be in. You see the problem lies in letting these murderers and rapists back out after only a few years or whatever so they do it again and again, if they were locked up for life and I mean life you would see a dramatic fall in these crimes.

You don't want to die...I don't want to die, and no one wants to die, guilty or not, with justice or not... It only stands to reason that no one should want to do what they cannot undo... We shrink from burning bridges, and we like to play it safe... We have the means to throw people into the can until some reasonable doubt appears... We only kill be cause we can, and not because it has shown to do some good...There are two kinds of killers in this world: the insane, and the insanely angry...Sometimes people throw away their lives and another's at the same instant without a rational thought... It is the ones who do death as the state does it, with forethought and malice who are over the edge... Consider that the politics of death requires a call for vengeance... No doubt many peoples subject to the penalty feel it is vengeance...But justice should be anything other than vengeance...It is law, and the promise of social justice which demands a fair trial, and only then a death, and then only of the one who did the wrong...If it has the object of ending vengeance, but is advertized as vengeance, isn't it possible that some victims of injustice in the race to vengeance should take their own revenge... If the blacks see capital punishment as revenge against them, and the whites see it as vengeance against blacks, why should anyone not respond as if in a feud, bidding ones time until the moment grow ripe for execution??? The thing fails because it works against its own object...It is not justice, but constipated justice, all in a strain..

Camerama

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 05:06 pm
@jeeprs,
If you see barbarism in proportionality then you throw away the whole concept of justice. Applied to any other case of legality, theft, vandalism, fraud, etc. incongruence in punishment seems absurd. You certainly cant be arguing for punishments that dont fit the crime?

Fido

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 05:25 pm
@xris,
xris;104954 wrote:
If you have the desire for individual vengeance should society reflect that desire? Do we incarcerate the individual for forty years or hang them? I cant imagine in that same position what would be more painful.

Are we submitting to ethics or logic? I just dont know. I do know our system is fallible and we must accept that in or demands.

Law is supposed to remove the need for vengeance as a cause for violence....There are a lot of people who confuse the two, but the purpose was and is to prevent people taking justice into their own hands, as it were, indescriminately against a member of a presumed guilty group...The object of law is to deliver justice, AND control violence... The object was never to avoid violence, and it does not, but to the extent that it does not deliver justice it ensures that violence will not be controled, but remain endemic to our society...

---------- Post added 11-21-2009 at 06:37 PM ----------

Camerama;104987 wrote:
If you see barbarism in proportionality then you throw away the whole concept of justice. Applied to any other case of legality, theft, vandalism, fraud, etc. incongruence in punishment seems absurd. You certainly cant be arguing for punishments that dont fit the crime?

If you are talking to me, barbarians were much more intense on the notion of justice than are we.. Look at the plays and stories of the Ancients... The Illiad is a search for both honor and justice, and the wrath of Achilles which that whole climax of seige was about, was over an insult to honor, and about the absolute need for justice...The tragedies of Orestes, and Oedipus were about the need for justice...Orestes did what he did, paricide and incest, not knowing what he did...Extenuating circumstances limited the punishment... Orestes did what he did knowing what he did, but he could plead the need for justice which even the gods demand...How much time did Socrates give to justice in the estimation of Plato...Honoor demands justice... Injure a man, or take what is his and you take his honor...

kennethamy

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 06:35 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;104980 wrote:
There's a difference between philosophy and jurisprudence is there not? I mean something may be logically justifiable or consistent but the reality of the legal system has to take into account a great deal of uncertainty, the possibility of error and wrong-doing on the part of prosecutors, and many other factors, none of which ever feature much in 'philosophical debate'. It means one thing in a philosophical argument and something else in the 'real world'. I think many agree that there are people for whom the death penalty is an apt penalty, but the point we are having difficulties with is the inevitable imperfections of a criminal justice system, which is hardly a philosophical matter.

Still, a case like that of Lee Harvey Oswald where there is no doubt of Ruby's guilt turns exclusively on whether he should be put to death. Apparently not. At least in Texas.

Shostakovich phil

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 08:08 pm
@Camerama,
Camerama;104983 wrote:
In a rational society men are entitled to certain rights. Those who initiate force against another individual's rights open themselves to a just punishment. A punishment that is proportional to their crime. Where there is no proportionality there is no justice. A man who intentionally robs another of his most sacred right to life, deserves no less and probably more than capital punishment. Any less is a mockery of justice, because any less would not be proportional. The only obstacle to the Justice system is it's infallibility. This is a deficiency improving simultaneously with scientific development. Which is a more moral choice practicing justice at the expense of the rare, albeit horrible fate of a few, or voiding the Justice system of it's founding principle, proportionality?

I agree completely with your idea of proportionality; but to avoid the potential for execution of an innocent I could only favour the death penalty in a vey small fraction of cases, and only with regard to 1. The most stupendously ovious of cases, where even the guilty admits their guilt and 2. Where the guilty party choses a preference for death over life in prison. With those two conditions met I can't see where the justice system, even being founded by fallible human beings, can go wrong; unless the guilty party is really innocent and wishes to use it to commit suicide.

Also the idea of propostionality is but an ideal. It can never be actualized short of bringing victims back to life, and having the victim put their murderer to death in the same way the murderer put them to death; but this poses another impossibility. Proportionality however can be achieved to a certain extent, and I believe there is in principle and in some cases, room for the 'eye for an eye' view of justice. As it stands now, victims are continually being revictimized by the justice system and its unproportional protection of criminals over their victims. Only now, are victims being given the chance to voice what they think and feel at trials. But this is only a small step towards actualizing the ideal of proportionality.

Aedes

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 08:32 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;104978 wrote:
There was no chance that Harvey Oswald was innocent. He was seen by millions to have murdered Jack Ruby.
Other way around...

kennethamy;104978 wrote:
So, the only question was whether he deserved death. Isn't that right?
The first question is Does anyone deserve to die for a crime? If yes, then the next question is How can we always discriminate those who deserve to die from those who don't?

Camerama

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 09:54 pm
@Shostakovich phil,
Shostakovich;105036 wrote:

Also the idea of propostionality is but an ideal.

What are we working towards if not to our ideals? Mediocrity? Imperfection?

Fido

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2009 11:54 am
@Camerama,
Camerama;105050 wrote:
What are we working towards if not to our ideals? Mediocrity? Imperfection?

All our ideas are ideals... All our forms are perfect representations of a flawed reality...What we should be working for is not an ideal or perfect world; but one where people realize, and accept that we are the greatest problem we will ever face... Humans only progress through a change of forms, stepping from ideal to ideal... Yet, to get people to change forms is nearly impossilbe when the very existence of our social forms is to resist change and so protect some good... And then, even with a change of forms we must recognize that fallible humanity is always angling for advantage even while such behavior tears at the forms which protect all people...We should always move toward a more ideal form and recognize that it will not last, and that it must fit humanity to do humanity any good...Perfection is the enemy of people who are not perfect, and there, perfection is the enemy of the good...

I do not even like to type the word, and I don't allow the P word in my home if I can help it... Good enough is good enough...As the Muslim say: Only Allah is perfect, and in their work they often deliberately avoid sin by deliberatly screwing up a part of the job, and then they are free of the weight of perfection, and can do a good job without tension...

Camerama

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2009 02:15 pm
@Fido,
Fido;105161 wrote:
I do not even like to type the word, and I don't allow the P word in my home if I can help it... Good enough is good enough...As the Muslim say: Only Allah is perfect, and in their work they often deliberately avoid sin by deliberatly screwing up a part of the job, and then they are free of the weight of perfection, and can do a good job without tension...

This is a radically backwards distortion of life. It is nonsense. Your "good" divorces pride from human potential. Moral perfection is infeasible if you injure yourself to become "free of the weight of perfection." It is not "good" if it is not the highest potential you can attain, and certainly not if you do it in the name of a higher authority than your mind.

Fido

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2009 02:39 pm
@Camerama,
Camerama;105172 wrote:
This is a radically backwards distortion of life. It is nonsense. Your "good" divorces pride from human potential. Moral perfection is infeasible if you injure yourself to become "free of the weight of perfection." It is not "good" if it is not the highest potential you can attain, and certainly not if you do it in the name of a higher authority than your mind.

What is good is survival, and we have that potential, but the possible has often proved impossible for many peoples to reach...Think of how many people were swallowed up in the demise of Rome and Greece and how little of perfection survived...Human perfection is not just heavy, but is impossible to bear...In modern times no curse save perfection as idealism is has claimed so many human lives and people are no more perfect than before, only more leery of idealism as is only just, since it has burned us bad...Here is some wisdom for the ages: Go along to get along, and get along to go along...We all have our forms, and all forms are considered abstractly, ideal, and perfect... The real thing, the relationships we all know are less than perfect because we are imperfect...Why force people to conform to any ideal when it will never ever happen??? Instead, seek the relationship, which is the living part of any form... Where the form leaves off the relationship begins, so seek informality and expect all the imperfection when measured against the form....Rather than government or law as forms of relationship, consider only marriage and consider than not one of them is perfect, or ideal; and yet, many of them work well enough to serve their participants and carry on...

manored

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2009 02:46 pm
@xris,
xris;104863 wrote:
So are we more merciful in killing them or giving them life behind bars?
Depends of the criminal in question, wich is why I think it should be their choice.

kennethamy;104901 wrote:
Which people? There are lots of people who would argue that with the enormous number of appeals available to those accused of murder, and with the great power of DNA tests, the chances of killing an innocent man is less than putting an innocent man into prison. The difference between punishing people for rape and punishing people for murder, does not leap out at me as it seems to you. And I cannot help thinking of the people who might not be murdered if there is a death penalty to deter potential murderers. How would you like to be someone who was murdered, but who would not have been murdered if there had been a death penalty. "Hard cheese"?
I doubt that a person who is condemned to death penalty would receive something lesser than perpetual prision if its country didnt approve death penalty.

Aedes;104941 wrote:
The question is whether it should be demanded for something irrevocable like execution, as opposed to life imprisonment which is revocable. And whether the irrevocability of it makes it completely immoral in the absence of absolute certainty (both about guilt AND whether execution is appropriate). And whether the inherent biases (i.e. the indisputable fact that racial minorities are more likely to be executed for the same crime) make it morally unsupportable.
You cant give back to people time they have lost. Id say the difference is, instead, that death penalty is a sentence that cant be changed through the totality of its duration, and imprisionment is.

Krumple;104965 wrote:
People who kill don't seem to care about the laws of the state or country to begin with. Most criminals don't care about the law, if they did, they wouldn't be committing crimes to start with.

If you are correct in saying that the threat of capital punishment reduces murder then you should see the opposite with the US statistics, but clearly it is not the case. But then why is it not working? I say because a person who is willing to take another life, is not considering either in that moment, or that day or when ever, the results of their actions. I would go as far as to make the claim that those who are willing to kill plan on never getting caught for the crime as well. If you plan on not getting caught then technically they wouldn't care about the punishment either.
I agree, I think something such as murder or rape is too serious for the criminals to be actually caring about the consequences, since they are inevitably grave. Its not like burgar where there would be a big difference between a light and a heavy punishment: Since you are doing something trivial wich is mostly for your wellfare, you will, yes, weight the potential gain against the potential loss.

And interesting little fact that I remember reading somewhere, though I dont remember the details and numbers: In average, canadians have more guns that americans, but the average number of murders with guns in America is much higher than in Canada. It would seen that neither punishment nor firepower has much influence in murder rates. =)

Camerama;104983 wrote:
In a rational society men are entitled to certain rights. Those who initiate force against another individual's rights open themselves to a just punishment. A punishment that is proportional to their crime. Where there is no proportionality there is no justice. A man who intentionally robs another of his most sacred right to life, deserves no less and probably more than capital punishment. Any less is a mockery of justice, because any less would not be proportional. The only obstacle to the Justice system is it's infallibility. This is a deficiency improving simultaneously with scientific development. Which is a more moral choice practicing justice at the expense of the rare, albeit horrible fate of a few, or voiding the Justice system of it's founding principle, proportionality?

The big, epic, insuperable obstacle for justice is the fact that everone has its own concept of justice. You think a killer of even one man should be killed. I, myself, dont. See?

We shouldnt be thinking in justice then we make laws, we should be thinking in making a society where we can live happy.

kennethamy

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2009 03:35 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;105037 wrote:
Other way around...

The first question is Does anyone deserve to die for a crime? If yes, then the next question is How can we always discriminate those who deserve to die from those who don't?

But the issue was not whether Ruby was guilty of murdering Oswald. And that is what is being mixed-up with whether capital punishment is justified. Therefore, the issue is solely whether Ruby deserved to be executed. (If no one deserves execution, then Ruby did not either).

Camerama

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2009 03:45 pm
@manored,
Fido;105176 wrote:
What is good is survival, and we have that potential, but the possible has often proved impossible for many peoples to reach...

Animals have the rational capacity limited to "survival." Humans have evolved past the physiological need to fear carnal survival. We have achieved that potential now we aim to perfect that survival or existence. And the survival of the weak, lazy and incompetent does not come at the expense of the strong. The weak inevitably benefit from the merit of the strong. The weak literally rest on the laurels of the strong. I am weak. Much weaker than a man like Thomas Edison. If it were not for men like him my survival would be in darkness, or by candlelight. We strive to be strong and let the strong achieve. For it is the intelligentsia that carry the whole of humanity through the woods. The strong gain wealth for their mind, but what do we receive?
Life, a better life. This is far more than we have earned.

Fido;105176 wrote:
Think of how many people were swallowed up in the demise of Rome and Greece and how little of perfection survived...Human perfection is not just heavy, but is impossible to bear...In modern times no curse save perfection as idealism is has claimed so many human lives and people are no more perfect than before, only more leery of idealism as is only just, since it has burned us bad...

This does not even warrant a response. Idealism is the only thing that inspires improvement. That is preaching mediocrity.

Fido;105176 wrote:
Here is some wisdom for the ages: Go along to get along, and get along to go along...We all have our forms, and all forms are considered abstractly, ideal, and perfect... The real thing, the relationships we all know are less than perfect because we are imperfect...

Translation: Brother love. This is saying compromise your values, your principles, your morals, your standards, for the sake of your life. You must realize that without these you have no life. If this is the price of survival in society i would rather be an island unto myself.

Fido;105176 wrote:
Why force people to conform to any ideal when it will never ever happen???

We do not conform to ideals. We accept them as worthy, truly worthy of our achievement. If they do not exemplify this standard, we dismiss them.

Fido;105176 wrote:
Rather than government or law as forms of relationship, consider only marriage and consider than not one of them is perfect, or ideal; and yet, many of them work well enough to serve their participants and carry on...

This is an ideal in itself. Your whole argument. It is your warped backwards way of how people should behave. It would be an appropriate system, if pride, integrity, and ego were not essential elements of the human condition.

---------- Post added 11-22-2009 at 04:48 PM ----------

manored;105178 wrote:
The big, epic, insuperable obstacle for justice is the fact that everone has its own concept of justice. You think a killer of even one man should be killed. I, myself, dont. See?

Among rational men there are no conflict of interests.

hue-man

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2009 04:30 pm
@Shostakovich phil,
Shostakovich;104803 wrote:
My opinion on the Death Penalty is that it is justifiable only under certain circumstances but I won't explain my reasoning here. They are too complicated. And I prefer to leave the thread open for arguments either way. I will simply state my opinion: That there are in the world monstrous inhumans (not humans ... for to call them such would be irrational) whom the world would be far better off without.

I suppose that capital punishment can be justified from an emotional point of view, but I don't think there's any type of logical rationale for it.

kennethamy

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2009 04:34 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man;105208 wrote:
I suppose that capital punishment can be justified from an emotional point of view, but I don't think there's any type of logical rationale for it.

Why not? There is the rational of justice, and there is the rational of prevention, and there is the rational of deterrence. So those are three rationals for it.

hue-man

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2009 05:49 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;105209 wrote:
Why not? There is the rational of justice, and there is the rational of prevention, and there is the rational of deterrence. So those are three rationals for it.

The death penalty is about revenge, not justice. What does capital punishment prevent? I'm skeptical of its affect on deterrence.

kennethamy

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2009 05:55 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man;105216 wrote:
The death penalty is about revenge, not justice. What does capital punishment prevent? I'm skeptical of its affect on deterrence.

Justice is not revenge. Capital punishment prevents the murderer from murdering again. That you are skeptical of deterrence is not an objection.

hue-man

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2009 06:10 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;105218 wrote:
Justice is not revenge. Capital punishment prevents the murderer from murdering again. That you are skeptical of deterrence is not an objection.

Exactly; justice is not revenge. Justice is the minimization, reversal, and punishment of aggression with the minimal amount of coercion necessary.

I thought preventing the murderer from murdering again was the purpose of incarceration.

kennethamy

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2009 06:17 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man;105224 wrote:
Exactly; justice is not revenge. Justice is the minimization, reversal, and punishment of aggression with the minimal amount of coercion necessary.

I thought preventing the murderer from murdering again was the purpose of incarceration.

That isn't what the word, "justice" means. Look it up.

Yes, while he is in prison (given he doesn't escape, and given he does not murder someone in prison) then he won't murder. But, when let out of prison, for this or that reason, he can murder again.

And, I think deterrence has slipped your mind.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/03/2024 at 09:18:27