Why a world without religion would be a better place

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

HexHammer

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 08:40 am
@Fido,
Fido;127243 wrote:

If it were about capitalism it would be about religion...How can we pretend it is not when Christianity has no natural fight with any body...
There are many reasons:
- modern chirstianity has no religious leaders as head of state, well maybe except for USA as it is a demand that he is crhistian and see how they are faring with all their wars.
- and religion and capitalism works in different ways. I'm afraid you either very young or very naive saying they'r the same.
- most capitalistic countries would never risk their economical activities waging wars, it only creates enemies thus fewer to trade with.
- christianity, muslims and jews all belive in the same god, they have Adam and Eve, Noah ..etc.

Reconstructo

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 12:06 am
@Kielicious,
Kielicious;119130 wrote:
For the same reason you abandon the idea of Santa Claus -- its childish, and for anyone to continue believing in such nonsense is deliberately deluding themselves. This doesnt mean you have to give up the concept of god, it just means its time to grow up and stop thinking life is like a fairytale.

I see where you are coming from but I wonder if you are aware of just how sophisticated theology has sometimes been. God has often been conceived of as transcendent, ineffable, etc. Even if a cynical skeptic wanted to describe God as a piece of conceptual art, we are talking about some high tech unforgettable conceptual art.

At the same time I will agree that the God-conception of some humans is not more reasonable than a belief in Santa Clause. I recommend looking into negative theology, if you want to give theism a fair shake.

Fido

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 01:51 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;127681 wrote:
Rejecting Christianity(or any religion for that matter) on the basis of your rejection of Christians would seem to be fallacious.

Not at all...You are what you preach...Your actions speak for you... What is true of all religions is that they are moral only to a point, they empower the more intelligent at the expense of the whole society which has contributed to the actual destruction of many societies, and in binding the people to the past, as religio means, they deny those people the essential freedom to face their futures with power...
No one thinking of the needs of their people would ever destroy their ability to react to any situation that may arise, but religion, organized religion is of that class of behavior practiced by opportunists, who see in the labor of the many their freedom from labor... They think the past is naturally reflected in the future when it is not, because conditions are forever changing, and outside influences along with the natural injustice found in Hierarchal societies demand change...Religion is an impediment to thought, and to freedom of action, and democracy, and as reconstructo says, the idealism we see in politics is but a sham religion.. The result is the same, so the product defines the process...

reasoning logic

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 04:11 pm
@Fido,
Fido;129393 wrote:
Not at all...You are what you preach...Your actions speak for you... What is true of all religions is that they are moral only to a point, they empower the more intelligent at the expense of the whole society which has contributed to the actual destruction of many societies, and in binding the people to the past, as religio means, they deny those people the essential freedom to face their futures with power...
No one thinking of the needs of their people would ever destroy their ability to react to any situation that may arise, but religion, organized religion is of that class of behavior practiced by opportunists, who see in the labor of the many their freedom from labor... They think the past is naturally reflected in the future when it is not, because conditions are forever changing, and outside influences along with the natural injustice found in Hierarchal societies demand change...Religion is an impediment to thought, and to freedom of action, and democracy, and as reconstructo says, the idealism we see in politics is but a sham religion.. The result is the same, so the product defines the process...

Wow Fido You seem to see things close to how I see them. Does anyone else share this point of view as well?

I do not think that all religous people are this way, but I do believe that religions do not go all the way with morals and they have also preached imorality as well with some of their beliefs. I do think that alot of religous people are loving and caring but are blind to the truth.

Fido

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 05:23 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic;129438 wrote:
Wow Fido You seem to see things close to how I see them. Does anyone else share this point of view as well?

I do not think that all religous people are this way, but I do believe that religions do not go all the way with morals and they have also preached imorality as well with some of their beliefs. I do think that alot of religous people are loving and caring but are blind to the truth.

As Jesus said about the religious leaders of his day: Do as they say; not as they do.

The fact is that no one needs authority over another to practice their religion... The authority their religion justifies in their eyes is only that authority they desire, and having it, all wealth follows...It was the same in the day of Jesus, with people suing each other for their tunics when Jersalem sat on a mountain of wealth... The whole people could have been well off enough, and stronger for it, but organized religion took all the wealth and cut any branch they felt threatened by...Did it save them, or only make them look ripe for plundering???

reasoning logic

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 06:09 pm
@xris,
I may be wrong but from my research I have come to wander if the first christians may have shared some of the philosophers points of views. I think that the therapeutae may have been the first to share the christian point of view.
If you do a research you will see that vary early in christianity there were philosophers but they were later rejected by the cathlic popes. I believe that the state may of killed off most all of the true christain philosophers as they were preaching ecthics and were a threat to the ruleing elites.
Historians mention james the just I wander if he may have used the name of jesus in his parables teaching of ethics. I do know that this idea is probably far fetched but who knows what was possible back then.

The state may have realised that they were not able to kill off all of them and came up with a clever idea to confuse the people and give them what they wanted and allowed a state form of christianity that allowed every thing plus mythology but not the comeplete truth about ethics. This is 100% a hypothesis and is not a sure fact.
I sure would like to see you great thinkers prove this idea wrong or right.:detective:

Fido

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 08:32 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic;129486 wrote:
I may be wrong but from my research I have come to wander if the first christians may have shared some of the philosophers points of views. I think that the therapeutae may have been the first to share the christian point of view.
If you do a research you will see that vary early in christianity there were philosophers but they were later rejected by the cathlic popes. I believe that the state may of killed off most all of the true christain philosophers as they were preaching ecthics and were a threat to the ruleing elites.
Historians mention james the just I wander if he may have used the name of jesus in his parables teaching of ethics. I do know that this idea is probably far fetched but who knows what was possible back then.

The state may have realised that they were not able to kill off all of them and came up with a clever idea to confuse the people and give them what they wanted and allowed a state form of christianity that allowed every thing plus mythology but not the comeplete truth about ethics. This is 100% a hypothesis and is not a sure fact.
I sure would like to see you great thinkers prove this idea wrong or right.:detective:

One can lift little and do little with anything lifted at arms length... What can anyone do with short evidence of a distant event in a distant time... Does it matter??? If morality is the object, then one can reach that goals as easily without religion as with religion... Since I can cut religion all to bits with Occam's razor, why should I care...If people say religion makes them good, then they should be good...That is enough said because it does not work to that end...

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 07/26/2024 at 10:05:53