Can we improve society through improving the brain?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

William

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2009 09:22 pm
@odenskrigare,
Oden,

Your tenacity is admirable. I give you that. You have to truly look at the overall mosaic that is transhumanism as it completely ignores what it is to be human. We have a long way to go in that department yet. We just can't "scientifically sidestep" it. IMO, we are on the threshold of technology that needs a sign on the door that says in big red letters: "DO NOT ENTER"

Your valiant effort to defend what you believe in is one thing, but you must take in the entire scope of what those who fund this science are trying to accomplish; "Quantity of life" in the guise of "Quality of life". A most selfish notion at best. It goes without saying science has produce some very needed answers; I am not denying that and it is those accomplishments that are the foundation of your entire argument not for a moment considering the profound repercussions that could arise from this technology. Granted at sometime in the future there will be a time in which it might be useful, but that remains to be seen. Presently in this reality, it would be IMO, disasterious.

I mentioned "scare tactics" before. Those optical orbs are not so easily blinded by those wool facades like they once were. People for the first time are communicating. Yippee! When we speak of medical miracles, there is nothing like the brain. I live with a paraplegic who lost both his legs, but his brain adjusted in that he has a more affective use of his other two limbs. Just as a person who has lost their arms have an exceptional ability with their feet and legs. Nature takinig it's course. just like the prodigious savant that has less congnitive ability but their other abilities defy science and that understanding. Brain in action. Our penality is trying to, as it relates to our individual perception, fit their shoes and there is no way anyone can do that unless one as literally walk in those shoes. Can you hear me!

The brain has a job to do and it does it remarkably well with out the interference we impose on it such a fear, worry, stress not to speak of all the drugs we are taking legally and illegally to cope with this reality. There are no quick fixes, yet science in it's autonomy seems obligated to find a "fix" denying it's culpability though understandable in it's effort to keep us alive and to some degree, it is justifiable. I have more than once commented that the rewards of genius invariably fall into the wrong hands which forces us to investigate those hands that are funding this technology of which I mentioned in an earlier post you "saliently" ignored. I am not even sure if "salient" is appropriately used here, but it sounded good. Ha.

In our efforts to "extend life" (greed), we lose the quality it offers. Now you can chalk that down as a TRUTH, and never forget it. Never judge what you perceive to be that of another and by all means never force what you perceive on another, though you are permitted to do so if they are unprovoked and ask for it, and only then.

Yes, those who are the willing, "and those who are duped", offering themselves in this technology is indeed understandable. Just as your are efforting to do here in this forum. All I can say is good luck, you are going to need it here, IMO. The wool over my eyes has huge holes in it and my magic wand is at the ready. It is like "Excaliber" was to Arthur. Hmm, it truly amazes me what comes out of these clumsy old typing fingers of mine. Ha. Wow!

Oden, you are a welcome addition and you do provoke thought in your comments an to that I am grateful for it hones my own thoughts a little more. So in that regard, thanks for being here, I personally needed it. Smile

William

PS, in closing for the evening let me offer, IMO, an amazing collaboration of visual and auditory talents of those minds who I am sure will not wish to be altered.

YouTube - Adiemus

odenskrigare

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2009 09:32 pm
@William,
William;77556 wrote:
Your tenacity is admirable. I give you that. You have to truly look at the overall mosaic that is transhumanism as it completely ignores what it is to be human. We have a long way to go in that department yet. We just can't "scientifically sidestep" it. IMO, we are on the threshold of technology that needs a sign on the door that says in big red letters: "DO NOT ENTER"

Well, we're already moving past that stage, too late

William;77556 wrote:
In our efforts to "extend life" (greed), we lose the quality it offers. Now you can chalk that down as a TRUTH, and never forget it.

Quantity and quality of life in the industrialized world (or, better yet, the post-industrial world) have all increased hugely from Pleistocene era, which is when we were actually living in the state of nature you appear to want

Transhumanism is also about increasing quality of life

William;77556 wrote:
Yes, those who are the willing, "and those who are duped", offering themselves in this technology is indeed understandable.

Yeah, I guess that (formerly) blind woman I referenced earlier in this thread was "duped" into getting retinal implants that make it possible for her to walk in a park again. Shame on those scheming scientific swindlers for restoring her eyesight. How could they do this to people in good conscience?

richrf

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2009 09:42 pm
@odenskrigare,
odenskrigare;77557 wrote:
Yeah, I guess that (formerly) blind woman I referenced earlier in this thread was "duped" into getting retinal implants that make it possible for her to walk in a park again. Shame on those scheming scientific swindlers for restoring her eyesight. How could they do this to people in good conscience?

Oden,

Have you ever looked at the hideous results of plastic surgery? The pain and injuries caused by breast implants? The results of Lasik surgeries gone haywire? I remind you of the doctor's oath"

"I consider for the benefit of my patient and abstain from whatever is harmful or mischievous."

And yet we have plastic surgeons carving up people in all manner in order to make them fit some concept of beautiful. A profession gone haywire.

Rich

manored

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2009 09:51 pm
@odenskrigare,
Odenskrigare: In most part I agree with you, but I havent read the whole thread.

Off your first post, I only disagree with two points:

1. That brain-modifying is the only reliable way to end "the evils of the world". I suppose some sort of "Perfect computer overlord" rulling the earth with iron fist would have a similar effect, brainwashing everone since birth do be "good".

2. That that all the "evils of the world" can actually be terminated. We may modify ourselves to be less greedy and more generous, for example, but we cannot eliminate the "negative side" completly because its one of the fundamental building blocks of the mind, it would be the same than killing yourselves. Aka: such beings wouldnt be human as we know humans, and thus we wouldnt want to be like then. We can improve, but we will always have imperfections and desire more improvement. I suppose thats how things should be, we wont inflict ultimate boredoom upon ourselves, will we? Smile

William;77507 wrote:
As for the above added "scarcasms", sorry; couldn't resist.) :surrender:You dish it out rather well, so I am sure you can take it, Huh? No offense.

William

*(Do tell? Ever heard of human nature? Granted it is not "Mother Nature", but they both have "their natures" and they must get along, IMO.)

If it is arrogant to claim we know better than "mother nature", isnt it also arrogant to claim that we know what it wants, on the first place? =)

The above is the main reason I disbelieve both god and nature as a intelligent being.

*(IMO, it's not limitations; it is a brick wall and it is there for a reason.)

Lets make a little hole and peek inside to find out the reason then =)

*(It couldn't be the repercussions of technology is what caused that "unproductive attitude now, could it? Hmmm?)

I didnt really understand this.

Solace;77497 wrote:
If I thought your vision of the future had even a remote chance of becoming reality I might be worried... :rolleyes:

Personally I am, or rather, utter confused. In a few years (or maybe many) people will start getting robotically or genetically modified, and then... well, all hell will break loose: People made of nanobots clonning thenselves wildly and stuff.

Im hoping to live long enough to get my mind transfered into a computer. I wanna see human civilization and/or the universe fall apart with my own eyes. If I die before that im putting some mental effort into coming back as a ghost, to be on the safe side Smile

odenskrigare

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2009 09:53 pm
@richrf,
richrf;77558 wrote:
Oden,

Have you ever looked at the hideous results of plastic surgery? The pain and injuries caused by breast implants? The results of Lasik surgeries gone haywire? I remind you of the doctor's oath"

"I consider for the benefit of my patient and abstain from whatever is harmful or mischievous."

And yet we have plastic surgeons carving up people in all manner in order to make them fit some concept of beautiful. A profession gone haywire.

Rich

That's not the same thing as restoring vision. Not by a long shot. Please stop stinking up my thread with red herrings.

Also beautiful is subjective: if women want plastic boobs that don't "act like" real ones, let them have their way with themselves as long as they're willing to pay higher insurance premia.

(Actually we may eventually be able to transcend the body altogether, so I'm not sure why I even entertained that digression.)

---------- Post added 07-16-2009 at 12:04 AM ----------

manored;77561 wrote:
1. That brain-modifying is the only reliable way to end "the evils of the world". I suppose some sort of "Perfect computer overlord" rulling the earth with iron fist would have a similar effect, brainwashing everone since birth do be "good".

No it's just the easiest way

Also I don't want something like Colossus

manored;77561 wrote:
2. That that all the "evils of the world" can actually be terminated. We may modify ourselves to be less greedy and more generous, for example, but we cannot eliminate the "negative side" completly because its one of the fundamental building blocks of the mind, it would be the same than killing yourselves. Aka: such beings wouldnt be human as we know humans, and thus we wouldnt want to be like then. We can improve, but we will always have imperfections and desire more improvement. I suppose thats how things should be, we wont inflict ultimate boredoom upon ourselves, will we? Smile

There will always be shortcomings of some kind, but it's kind of silly to throw your hands up and say "Nothing can be done."

manored;77561 wrote:

If it is arrogant to claim we know better than "mother nature", isnt it also arrogant to claim that we know what it wants, on the first place? =)

Cool argument: I'll remember it.

manored;77561 wrote:
Personally I am, or rather, utter confused. In a few years (or maybe many) people will start getting robotically or genetically modified, and then... well, all hell will break loose: People made of nanobots clonning thenselves wildly and stuff.

Nanotechnology could pose an awful existential threat. That's why I hope its development will be a little bit slower. No guarantees though.

On the other hand, if nanobots could form a civilization we would call meaningful somehow, they might not be such a bad thing: after all we are made up of cells, which are essentially biological nanobots, but still we might go out with a terrific bang if such a nanobot revolt happened.

manored;77561 wrote:
Im hoping to live long enough to get my mind transfered into a computer. I wanna see human civilization and/or the universe fall apart with my own eyes. If I die before that im putting some mental effort into coming back as a ghost, to be on the safe side Smile

I think I would (maybe) actually want to die at some point. After the first few hundreds of thousands of years, things might get a little tedious.

manored

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2009 10:34 pm
@William,
William;77556 wrote:
Oden,

We will never be ready until we try, there is no way we can foresee the impact of modified humans winhout modified humans, that has never existed before.

William;77556 wrote:

Your valiant effort to defend what you believe in is one thing, but you must take in the entire scope of what those who fund this science are trying to accomplish; "Quantity of life" in the guise of "Quality of life". A most selfish notion at best. It goes without saying science has produce some very needed answers; I am not denying that and it is those accomplishments that are the foundation of your entire argument not for a moment considering the profound repercussions that could arise from this technology. Granted at sometime in the future there will be a time in which it might be useful, but that remains to be seen. Presently in this reality, it would be IMO, disasterious.
Its not just about extending life, its also about improving it. And the world is gonna get (and already is) overly populated even winhout modifications, and I actually think it will be easier to control that with those modifications.

William;77556 wrote:

I mentioned "scare tactics" before. Those optical orbs are not so easily blinded by those wool facades like they once were. People for the first time are communicating. Yippee! When we speak of medical miracles, there is nothing like the brain. I live with a paraplegic who lost both his legs, but his brain adjusted in that he has a more affective use of his other two limbs. Just as a person who has lost their arms have an exceptional ability with their feet and legs. Nature takinig it's course. just like the prodigious savant that has less congnitive ability but their other abilities defy science and that understanding. Brain in action. Our penality is trying to, as it relates to our individual perception, fit their shoes and there is no way anyone can do that unless one as literally walk in those shoes. Can you hear me!

The brain has a job to do and it does it remarkably well with out the interference we impose on it such a fear, worry, stress not to speak of all the drugs we are taking legally and illegally to cope with this reality. There are no quick fixes, yet science in it's autonomy seems obligated to find a "fix" denying it's culpability though understandable in it's effort to keep us alive and to some degree, it is justifiable. I have more than once commented that the rewards of genius invariably fall into the wrong hands which forces us to investigate those hands that are funding this technology of which I mentioned in an earlier post you "saliently" ignored. I am not even sure if "salient" is appropriately used here, but it sounded good. Ha.
Isnt technological advance towards brain modification just a more complex form of the brain seeking ways to solve its problems?

William;77556 wrote:
In our efforts to "extend life" (greed), we lose the quality it offers. Now you can chalk that down as a TRUTH, and never forget it. Never judge what you perceive to be that of another and by all means never force what you perceive on another, though you are permitted to do so if they are unprovoked and ask for it, and only then.
Some people need a greater purpose, besides enjoying life. Rather, I would say that having a greater purpose is part of enjoying life. So researching is enjoying life =)

William;77556 wrote:

PS, in closing for the evening let me offer, IMO, an amazing collaboration of visual and auditory talents of those minds who I am sure will not wish to be altered.
Minds change all the time =)

Perhaps one person who decides to take a new path in life has its mind changed as much as one person whose brain is modified to be less greedy. Who knows? Who knows if we will like what our mind will be like after that or not? Who knows if we will even notice change? Isnt reading a book or watching tv a form of letting our minds be changed by others?

richrf;77558 wrote:
Oden,

Rich
Both parties want that, as far as I know. I agree its stupid, but I prefer to blame human nature rather than science. People have always done crazy things for "beauty". I know in the past women in some countries would avoid the sun as much as possible because white was considered beautifull.

---------- Post added 07-16-2009 at 01:40 AM ----------

odenskrigare;77562 wrote:

There will always be shortcomings of some kind, but it's kind of silly to throw your hands up and say "Nothing can be done."

Yep =)

Nanotechnology could pose an awful existential threat. That's why I hope its development will be a little bit slower. No guarantees though.

On the other hand, if nanobots could form a civilization we would call meaningful somehow, they might not be such a bad thing: after all we are made up of cells, which are essentially biological nanobots, but still we might go out with a terrific bang if such a nanobot revolt happened.

I dont think nanobots could take over the world and destroy us on their own, but I think that then people start gaining unlimited self-modification abilities due to nanobots things will get really... weird =)

I think I would (maybe) actually want to die at some point. After the first few hundreds of thousands of years, things might get a little tedious.
Yeah, I plan on dying at some point too, but trying to last as long as possible might be fun too.

richrf

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2009 11:04 pm
@manored,
manored;77571 wrote:
Both parties want that, as far as I know. I agree its stupid, but I prefer to blame human nature rather than science. People have always done crazy things for "beauty". I know in the past women in some countries would avoid the sun as much as possible because white was considered beautiful.

The problem here is the pedestal the the medical profession wants to put themselves on, when they are nothing more than money grubbers. What ever happened to the oath that physicians take?:

I WILL FOLLOW that method of treatment which according to my ability and judgment, I consider for the benefit of my patient and abstain from whatever is harmful or mischievous.

ABSTAIN FROM WHATEVER IS HARMFUL. (as long as it doesn't get in the way of making some money. :whistling:).

Rich

odenskrigare

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2009 11:24 pm
@richrf,
richrf;77574 wrote:
The problem here is the pedestal the the medical profession wants to put themselves on, when they are nothing more than money grubbers. What ever happened to the oath that physicians take?:

I WILL FOLLOW that method of treatment which according to my ability and judgment, I consider for the benefit of my patient and abstain from whatever is harmful or mischievous.

ABSTAIN FROM WHATEVER IS HARMFUL. (as long as it doesn't get in the way of making some money. :whistling:).

Rich

First of all, you're generalizing too hastily from some doctors.

Second of all, harm is subjective. Perhaps some people feel that harm or some other disutility comes to them from being what they consider "ugly", and they seek to rectify that condition. That's between them and the doctor, I guess.

Last, and I hate to pull a tu quoque, but you're sorely mistaken if you think alternative medicine isn't full of outright fraudsters. (Also it usually doesn't work anywhere near as well as mainstream i.e. scientific medicine.)

---------- Post added 07-16-2009 at 01:52 AM ----------

lol

NCAHF Resource Documents

richrf

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 12:05 am
@odenskrigare,
odenskrigare;77575 wrote:
Last, and I hate to pull a tu quoque, but you're sorely mistaken if you think alternative medicine isn't full of outright fraudsters. (Also it usually doesn't work anywhere near as well as mainstream i.e. scientific medicine.)

If alternative medicine harmed or killed even a fraction of the number of people that allopathic medicine does, alternative medicine would be totally outlawed and practitioners drummed out of business - or worse.

In Hospital Deaths from Medical Errors at 195,000 per Year USA

"An average of 195,000 people in the USA died due to potentially preventable, in-hospital medical errors in each of the years 2000, 2001 and 2002, according to a new study of 37 million patient records that was released today by HealthGrades, the healthcare quality company."

Two NIH Studies and Concerns on Silicone/Saline Implants

"Women who have breast implants are more likely to die from brain tumors, lung cancer, other respiratory diseases, and suicide compared to other plastic surgery patients, according to a comprehensive new study. Women with implants are also more likely to develop cancer compared to other women their age, according to a second study."

BTW, what about the oath?

Rich

Caroline

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 12:43 am
@odenskrigare,
odenskrigare;77490 wrote:

Well, I have no idea what disease that kid has in the first place but can assume safely it's in the brain. What the summary of that paper is about it how nanotechnology, biology, cognitive science and information science are coming together in ways that are making it possible (not will, are) to transcend the limitations of our biology.

So eventually it will be possible to fix learning disabilities like his.

Also science doesn't prove anything, js

"I can't really explain" has been shown throughout history to be a really unproductive attitude.

In particular assuming there is some kind of "magic" that prevents things from being understood has always fallen flat.

It's a PDF, can you open PDFs? Try again.

• s.

Im sure the science can do that some day but you still haven't explained how this applies to the theory getting the negative out of the positve, so far you've managed to protest against it but not actually disprove anything so Im sorry but are you going to?
I wasn't trying to be productive and i wasn't trying to make you understand, you questioned my beliefs in God and to be honest with you God/nature is kind of magical and im glad it is and i dont care if that's not very productive, you haven't even produced a good arguement to my theory yet, just presented alot of information that has given me no inclination to waste my time to even bother to open that pdf now, not very productive yourself! You seem to make alot of claims without backing them up with anything but more claims and more technological information with nothing solid to support your claims. If you want to challenge my theory then i ask you to apply it to the example and tell me exactly what are you talking about when you say im being a masochist when that family with the disabled child has made the most of the situation and got the good out of a bad situation. Please dont povide more links, tell me yourself.

odenskrigare

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 12:48 am
@richrf,
richrf;77580 wrote:
If alternative medicine harmed or killed even a fraction of the number of people that allopathic medicine does, alternative medicine would be totally outlawed and practitioners drummed out of business - or worse.

In Hospital Deaths from Medical Errors at 195,000 per Year USA

"An average of 195,000 people in the USA died due to potentially preventable, in-hospital medical errors in each of the years 2000, 2001 and 2002, according to a new study of 37 million patient records that was released today by HealthGrades, the healthcare quality company."

You're not criticizing Western medicine per se: you're criticizing how it's currently carried out in the US.

Did you not read the full article?
[INDENT]If all the Medicare patients who were admitted to the bottom 10th percentile of hospitals from 2000 to 2002 were instead admitted to the "best" hospitals, approximately 4,000 lives and $580 million would have been saved," said Dr. Collier.[/INDENT]As much as I like this country, the health care system is really a bit lackluster overall compared to, say, Denmark. I am in favor of a greater degree of socialization of health care than we have now but that's besides the point: the overall approach of Western medicine works wonders, but alternative medicine is generally ineffectual and does kill people:

What's the harm in alternative medicine?

(I should point out that some remedies from the "developing world" are sometimes very effective. Aspirin came from a Native American practice of chewing willow bark after all. Quinine, too, right?)

richrf;77580 wrote:
Two NIH Studies and Concerns on Silicone/Saline Implants

"Women who have breast implants are more likely to die from brain tumors, lung cancer, other respiratory diseases, and suicide compared to other plastic surgery patients, according to a comprehensive new study. Women with implants are also more likely to develop cancer compared to other women their age, according to a second study."

BTW, what about the oath?

Rich

Maybe those women think having bigger, more rigid boobs is worth the risk of brain tumors. (Many, perhaps most women who get implants probably don't have much going on up there anyway.)

Also it seems you're willing to accept science when it doesn't conflict with your worldview. That's interesting

---------- Post added 07-16-2009 at 02:52 AM ----------

Caroline;77581 wrote:
Im sure the science can do that some day but you still haven't explained how this applies to the theory getting the negative out of the positve, so far you've managed to protest against it but not actually disprove anything so Im sorry but are you going to?

We're not talking about theorems ... I can't disprove anything. I can say, however, that opting to suffer, even if you do manage to salvage something good out of it, is kind of silly. And if an alternative is not immediately available, then it makes sense to get behind the effort to find one, if not professionally, then at least morally.

Also I have no idea what disease the kid in question has. For all I know, doctors might be on the threshold of a cure now but I can't really tell until I know what it is

Caroline

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 12:55 am
@odenskrigare,
Ok fair enough Od, but what if you have no choice but to suffer, you may aswell get the positve out of the negative. Im sorry but some people may maek an effort to change the situation but they've already suffered so they may aswell get the positive out of it even after making an effort to seek an alternative, they've already suffered so they may aswell have learned something from it or it would be an all negative experience which isn't good,, I think 'well what did I learn from this.'

---------- Post added 07-16-2009 at 02:03 AM ----------

One last thing, i dont think the family had much of an alternative but to turn it into a good thing, science or no science.

salima

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 01:03 am
@odenskrigare,
inadvertently posted this on another thread, mistake brought to my attention by oden. thank you, oden

oden
, i suggest in order to prove your point you yourself be the first person to opt for this corrective surgery because you have some real problems in your brain. i wont bother listing them for you because by their very nature you wouldnt be able to see them, but i assure you everyone around you and anyone who has heard you speak will come to the same conclusion. you can try to upset and shock and scare whoever you want, but sooner or later they will realize your agenda and recognize your face. there is one more category you failed to mention: subhuman.

odenskrigare

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 01:53 am
@salima,
Caroline;77585 wrote:
Ok fair enough Od, but what if you have no choice but to suffer, you may aswell get the positve out of the negative. Im sorry but some people may maek an effort to change the situation but they've already suffered so they may aswell get the positive out of it even after making an effort to seek an alternative, they've already suffered so they may aswell have learned something from it or it would be an all negative experience which isn't good,, I think 'well what did I learn from this.'

---------- Post added 07-16-2009 at 02:03 AM ----------

One last thing, i dont think the family had much of an alternative but to turn it into a good thing, science or no science.

Ok, well, that's a different debate altogether. I've had a lot of deeply negative things happen to me and I guess I learned from them in some sense but I'd really rather they had never happened at all.

I don't really "look for the bright side" in anything. That may be an effective coping strategy but I think it's also a bias.

salima;77588 wrote:
inadvertently posted this on another thread, mistake brought to my attention by oden. thank you, oden

oden
, i suggest in order to prove your point you yourself be the first person to opt for this corrective surgery because you have some real problems in your brain. i wont bother listing them for you because by their very nature you wouldnt be able to see them, but i assure you everyone around you and anyone who has heard you speak will come to the same conclusion. you can try to upset and shock and scare whoever you want, but sooner or later they will realize your agenda and recognize your face. there is one more category you failed to mention: subhuman.

I consider myself a Cynic; maybe I'm a little abrasive, but I don't remember calling anyone names here, much less subhuman, which is a pretty intense (although canned) insult.

Caroline

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 02:01 am
@odenskrigare,
odenskrigare;77597 wrote:
Ok, well, that's a different debate altogether. I've had a lot of deeply negative things happen to me and I guess I learned from them in some sense but I'd really rather they had never happened at all.

I don't really "look for the bright side" in anything. That may be an effective coping strategy but I think it's also a bias.

Yes me too but it's made me the person i am today and i think i have gained more insight too, i wouldn't be the insightful person i am and im still standing, so it's improved my life, i guess you could call it a coping mechanism because we would be depressed about these bad things that happen to us but i would also say that i've taken away solid learning from the experience too, proof that you can get the positive out of the negative. Weighing up the pros and cons:- im still standing and i learnt something, wonderful!
Bias? What do you mean?

salima

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 02:03 am
@odenskrigare,
oden, i find it funny that you dont object to my saying you have problems in your brain while you are worried about being thought of as subhuman!

could it be that under that cynical exterior is the heart of a hero?

odenskrigare

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 02:11 am
@salima,
Caroline;77598 wrote:
Yes me too but it's made me the person i am today and i think i have gained more insight too, i wouldn't be the insightful person i am and im still standing, so it's improved my life, i guess you could call it a coping mechanism because we would be depressed about these bad things that happen to us but i would also say that i've taken away solid learning from the experience too, proof that you can get the positive out of the negative. Weighing up the pros and cons:- im still standing and i learnt something, wonderful!
Bias? What do you mean?

You might forget that tragedy is real and assign some kind of teleology to awful events, i.e., "This was meant to happen", "It was for the best" ... I find these kinds of ideas counterproductive, even if they are comforting. In my professional career I intend to work with like-minded colleagues on alleviating the many tragedies of our existence, and, in order to do that, I need to recognize them full on.

salima;77599 wrote:
oden, i find it funny that you dont object to my saying you have problems in your brain while you are worried about being thought of as subhuman!

could it be that under that cynical exterior is the heart of a hero?

Cynics are the guard dogs of civilization, but that's not the point: everyone has problems with their brain if you set the bar high enough. I can't draw or paint, for example, and even on my strong points I fall far behind the very best. If one of your goals is to aspire towards greater understanding and creative ability, then even a "normal" brain can be seen as an issue.

Caroline

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 05:04 am
@odenskrigare,
odenskrigare;77600 wrote:
You might forget that tragedy is real and assign some kind of teleology to awful events, i.e., "This was meant to happen", "It was for the best" ... I find these kinds of ideas counterproductive, even if they are comforting. In my professional career I intend to work with like-minded colleagues on alleviating the many tragedies of our existence, and, in order to do that, I need to recognize them full on.

I didn't day "this was meant to happen" nor did I say "it's for the best", infact I couldn't disagree more, i wouldn't wish a tragedy on anybody not even my worse enemy. I think im more on the lines off alleviating the tragedy as it's not very nice to say to someone who's just been raped for instance, "it was for the best", or "it was meant to happen".

William

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 05:50 am
@odenskrigare,
Comment;

I can't help but apply a "self" fulfilling prophecy" of this entire argument as it is akin to that implanted in Christianity in theorizing a "morbid anticipation" of further deterioration that will lead to destruction of the brain and the Earth provoking a sinister desire to look forward to those events to "proclaim" a pyrrhic victory; giving validity to the statement "See! I told you so". Damn!!!!!!:letme-at-em:

William

"Pyrrhus inherited the throne of Epirus in Northern Greece around 306 B.C., and as a young man proved himself on the battlefield again and again. Pyrrhus apparently had great strategic skills, but he also had the reputation of not knowing when to stop. In 281 he went to Italy and defeated the Romans at Heraclea and Asculum, but suffered bitterly heavy losses. The devastation led to his famous statement, "One more such victory and I am lost" -- hence the term "Pyrrhic victory" for any victory so costly as to be ruinous".

Fido

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 07:25 am
@odenskrigare,
odenskrigare;77540 wrote:
Whenever I think of a great day, Wednesday is not the first one that comes to mind

In fact, Wednesday's almost as bad as Monday

Saying that imaginary gods gave us the weekdays is as silly as saying that we owe two whole months to Julius Caesar and Augustus. July and August existed well before those guys.

Also: stop derailing my thread with trivia about dead religions, I'm already familiar with them. I am "Odens krigare" after all...

You must be one of those glass half empty folks...I looked forward to hump day when I was a working stiff... The top of the hill is a goal, right???If you don't like some of them, you end up liking none of them, and that is your life... I am not pangloss, but I like what we are even if that includes many relics from the past, and they do surround us...Now, we could chuck them out whole, but we really have no sense of what we are chucking...So where does one begin to chuck out the past not knowing if we are chucking out something essential to our self understanding...I mean, the Christian missionaries wrote down a lot about savages in America, but there was much they simply condemned and destroyed... Any one who cares to know how those people lived, and what they thought- finds they must recontruct the past on little evidence, and it was all out of the vanity that their technology resulted from a superior culture...They had no way to objectively judge, so they judged subjectively...There are no superior cultures... Successful cultures result in survival, but that does not mean they were superior to others...Culture is knowledge, and each tells a story about humanity, and when cultures are destroyed we loose a part of our story... We are robbed, and usually by our own sense of superiority...

You should try to remember that Wish was also a Norse, Germanic god; and that most of us still live in his world or in the land of fate, and its fairies...When you desire to do anything on short knowledge, you should remember what the Greek said: As the children of promethius, we too can see the future... But we lose that ability when we begin to hope against hope... Doing without knowing the consequences of our actions is hope against hope....

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/29/2024 at 06:51:57