Can we improve society through improving the brain?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

odenskrigare

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2009 01:42 am
@Caroline,
Caroline;77363 wrote:
I dont know what you're talking about, "grossly irrational"??? I think you've misunderstood me, look at Salima's example of the family whose child was born with disabilities, there is no alternative so I think you're confused about what Im talking about.

Alternatives will come to light as the science develops further, and it seems you don't accept them. Why is that?

Caroline;77363 wrote:
With regards to noodles, well I dont have the time to check your link, i have to go to work, but worshiping noodles, well that's your choice and I respect that. Goodbye.

Worshiping an invisible Flying Spaghetti Monster isn't much different from worshiping anything else.

Zetetic11235

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2009 01:56 am
@odenskrigare,
odenskrigare;77364 wrote:
Alternatives will come to light as the science develops further, and it seems you don't accept them. Why is that?

If they have not come to light, then we cannot accept them, because they don't exist. Just because science will eventually come up with a better solution for a quadriplegic doesn't mean that there is currently a better method than 'turd polishing' (which is basically just accepting the situation as currently not fixable and doing the best you can while you wait for the solution to 'come to light). So it is not masochism, because there really are no alternatives. If science allows for an alternative, it does not necessarily follow that there is one, as I'm sure you realize.

So what you seem to be saying is akin to me telling a person dieing of cancer that living out their last days doing what they want and throwing caution to the wind is 'turd polishing', because in just a few short years, we might have a cure. The research pharmacists just haven't brought the solution to light yet. Maybe we should let parents whose kids have Down's syndrome know that by accepting the fact that their kid had Down's is 'turd polishing', since a cure could be brought to light in the future?

odenskrigare

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2009 02:09 am
@Zetetic11235,
Zetetic11235;77370 wrote:
If they have not come to light, then we cannot accept them, because they don't exist. Just because science will eventually come up with a better solution for a quadriplegic doesn't mean that there is currently a better method than 'turd polishing' (which is basically just accepting the situation as currently not fixable and doing the best you can while you wait for the solution to 'come to light). So it is not masochism, because there really are no alternatives.

Well I think you saw the picture of that guy testing a neurally-controlled prosthetic limb earlier ITT.

What I was really referring to as 'turd-polishing' is the overall attitude of "we can't do anything, 'human nature' shouldn't be disturbed, we should just learn to accept defeat indefinitely" which is clearly fallacious.

Zetetic11235

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2009 02:35 am
@odenskrigare,
odenskrigare;77371 wrote:
Well I think you saw the picture of that guy testing a neurally-controlled prosthetic limb earlier ITT.

What I was really referring to as 'turd-polishing' is the overall attitude of "we can't do anything, 'human nature' shouldn't be disturbed, we should just learn to accept defeat indefinitely" which is clearly fallacious.

You probably agree with my reply to Fido then.

At any rate, it seems like the question really doesn't get interesting until we get into specific ethical quandaries. For instance, when is it appropriate to alter the genetic structure of a zygote? Certainly optimizing physical appearance seems iffy. What about choosing sex, or other characteristics? Just an example.

odenskrigare

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2009 02:43 am
@Zetetic11235,
Zetetic11235;77375 wrote:
You probably agree with my reply to Fido then.

Precisely.

Zetetic11235;77375 wrote:
At any rate, it seems like the question really doesn't get interesting until we get into specific ethical quandaries. For instance, when is it appropriate to alter the genetic structure of a zygote? Certainly optimizing physical appearance seems iffy. What about choosing sex, or other characteristics? Just an example.

Personally, I'm interested in things like neural prostheses and BCIs, and hope to develop these kinds of things professionally, at least a little. If the state you live in isn't totally dysfunctional, these are things you opt into.

So I really can't say anything about genetic modification and its quandaries.

Caroline

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2009 03:54 am
@odenskrigare,
odenskrigare;77364 wrote:

Worshiping an invisible Flying Spaghetti Monster isn't much different from worshiping anything else.

Why wont I accept it? Because I have no idea what you're talking about, perhaps if you explained/expanded then I would understand what you're talking about.
I think it is different simply because noodles is not easy to believe in.

odenskrigare

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2009 04:13 am
@Caroline,
Caroline;77381 wrote:
Why wont I accept it? Because I have no idea what you're talking about, perhaps if you explained/expanded then I would understand what you're talking about.

http://www.wtec.org/ConvergingTechnologies/1/NBIC_report.pdf
[INDENT]EXECUTIVE SUMMARY

M.C. Roco and W.S. Bainbridge

In the early decades of the 21 st century, concentrated efforts can unify science based on the unity of nature, thereby advancing the combination of nanotechnology, biotechnology, information technology, and new technologies based in cognitive science. With proper attention to ethical issues and societal needs, converging technologies could achieve a tremendous improvement in human abilities, societal outcomes, the nation's productivity, and the quality of life. This is a broad, cross-cutting, emerging and timely opportunity of interest to individuals, society and humanity in the long term.

The phrase ``convergent technologies'' refers to the synergistic combination of four major ``NBIC'' (nano-bio-info-cogno) provinces of science and technology, each of which is currently progressing at a rapid rate: (a) nanoscience and nanotechnology; (b) biotechnology and biomedicine, including genetic engineering; (c) information technology, including advanced computing and communications; (d) cognitive science, including cognitive neuroscience.

Timely and Broad Opportunity. Convergence of diverse technologies is based on material unity at the nanoscale and on technology integration from that scale. The building blocks of matter that are fundamental to all sciences originate at the nanoscale. Revolutionary advances at the interfaces between previously separate fields of science and technology are ready to create key transforming tools for NBIC technologies. Developments in systems approaches, mathematics, and computation in conjunction with NBIC allow us for the first time to understand the natural world, human society, and scientific research as closely coupled complex, hierarchical systems. At this moment in the evolution of technical achievement, improvement of human performance through integration of technologies becomes possible. Examples of payoffs may include improving work efficiency and learning, enhancing individual sensory and cognitive capabilities, revolutionary changes in healthcare, improving both individual and group creativity, highly effective communication techniques including brain-to-brain interaction, perfecting human machine interfaces including neuromorphic engineering, sustainable and ``intelligent'' environments including neuroergonomics, enhancing human capabilities for defense purposes, reaching sustainable development using NBIC tools, and ameliorating the physical and cognitive decline that is common to the aging mind.

The workshop participants envision important breakthroughs in NBIC-related areas in the next 10 to 20 years. Fundamental research requires about the same interval to yield significant applications. Now is the time to anticipate the research issues and plan an R&D approach that would yield optimal results.[/INDENT]
Caroline;77381 wrote:
I think it is different simply because noodles is not easy to believe in.

What god(s) do you believe in?

No matter what you believe, it's always some kind of invisible dragon phenomenon no more or less ridiculous than the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

I mean as an agnostic I'm not saying such a thing could not exist, I'm just not going to assume so in the total absence of compelling evidence.

William

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2009 09:07 am
@odenskrigare,
Hello Oden,

I thought it time to comment. I have been following your thread as it grew and you make some very good points that most have a tendency to make when "new technology" is emerging. The clip you introduced and partially re-introduced is a popular technique of "getting attention" and accentuatiing the "need for change" alluding to the miracle of science has the "cure" and we can "fix it". (see list)

I can't help but draw on the sayings often used that might help you in your understanding a bit: "what goes around, comes around; and if it ain't broke don't fix it!" The clip clearly indicated the problem, but if I had the time to produce one that counters it completely as it shows the humanity of man, I could.

It is easy to "play on the fears of people" to serve, unknown but to a few, agendas. It's done all the time and at one time I was guiltly of it and "made money" doing it. Hmmm?

I find it hard to understand why you fail to see in others, that they are "wising up" to these tactics and your arguments are carrying little weight, unlike the past when it worked exceptionallly well. Such as the "scare tactic' that was forwarded in that path that led to legalized abortions that said thousands of innocent lives could be saved due to "illegal abortions" when in fact such losses never existed and have been totally debunked. Or the "erectile dysfunction" problem that illustrates how so much better life would be if men could just get a "hard on". Ha, sorry mods and others but those commercials are insanely hilarious to me. Adjust the terminology as you see fit.

Humankind is not flawed, just mortally wounded from presumed and programmed ignorance that stems from such extreme measures we must take to "fix" what is wrong with man, when in truth, he was never broke to begin with. Just led astray, young and afflicted with the hubris of that youth as it relates to the overwhelimg influence of life itself and our incessant desire to do all we can conceive of to prolong it; no matter what. Hmmmm? Some paradox, Huh?

If you think for one second the forwarding of "transhumanism" is funded for altruistic means and not greed, you are, IMO, sorely mis-informed, yet I can understand why you would "want" to adapt to that thinking:"flying spaghetti monster" indeed. That also stems from presumed and programmed ignorance, IMO. I am currently living and breathing due to those technological advances, but I promise you I would much prefer not having to and would like to know definitively "why" and "where" I went astray. Now without bringing those back up, I will concede that what occurred was "self-induced" though it does not answer the question fully, yet! But I think we willl arrive at those answers.

Oden, you can't disturb nature; you can only piss her off and the film you introduced is evidence of just how irate she can become due to our ignorance stemming from our presummed and autonomous intelligence, of which some atheist claim to have all the answers, in referring to that intelligence that is the core of the universe as the 'flying spaghetti monster"? How rude! Which is typical; if we don't understand it we call "it" names!

See a pattern developing here. A re-occuring one that only perpetuates the chaos, we the estranged, wandering man has caused?

Now in your reference to "small pox", the CDC and the WHO are afraid this little bug might rear it's ugly little head again in a more formidable more potent form, in that we have not determined definitively what 'caused it'.
But you can rest assured it was to the anger of Mother Nature due to our ignorance of all her complexities. IMO; something we will never understand in it's entirety. At least not soon at any rate.

IMO the downs verses the ups of your aspirations are far to numerous to predict as you can only find a decent foothold on accentuating those altruistic, yet few positive assumptions. There are no short cuts IMO Oden. And when we realize that then will effort to align with nature of this planet and the universe she belongs to, as with ourselves, as being a part of that "undisturbed" magnificance. IMMHO.

William

Solace

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2009 09:16 am
@odenskrigare,
odenskrigare;77265 wrote:
I don't recall advocating forced surgery on people.

Fair enough. As long as it's completely elective, let people do to their own brains, or have done to them, whatever they want for.

odenskrigare;77325 wrote:
No, because that's coercive. I am not promoting coercion.

Well, that's good. I think coercion would be as bad as forcing people to get these surgeries.

odenskrigare;77265 wrote:
Well ... I can see some ways that accelerating developments in technology could threaten ordinary humans. Out of all the possibilities discussed by people like Hugo de Garis and Nick Bostrom, two come to mind most strongly:

• Posthumans exist in small enough numbers to feel a potential threat from humans, yet large enough to threaten humans. Armed conflict could break out.
  • Posthumans go all Robespierre on humans and just wipe them out in disgust.

The first, I think is more likely than the second, but both can be preempted very easily if everyone is on the same boat.

uumm...?

odenskrigare;77305 wrote:
And, remember, a huge rift between posthumans and regular humans could lead to conflict between the two sides. That's a very strong reason to elect for brain modification in itself.

But that's coercion!!

That's right humanity, just get "on the same boat" with the posthumans and they won't wipe you out "in disgust". Be prepared, "elect for brain modification" today!

Caroline

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2009 11:21 am
@odenskrigare,
odenskrigare;77382 wrote:
http://www.wtec.org/ConvergingTechnologies/1/NBIC_report.pdf[INDENT]EXECUTIVE SUMMARY

M.C. Roco and W.S. Bainbridge

In the early decades of the 21 st century, concentrated efforts can unify science based on the unity of nature, thereby advancing the combination of nanotechnology, biotechnology, information technology, and new technologies based in cognitive science. With proper attention to ethical issues and societal needs, converging technologies could achieve a tremendous improvement in human abilities, societal outcomes, the nation's productivity, and the quality of life. This is a broad, cross-cutting, emerging and timely opportunity of interest to individuals, society and humanity in the long term.

The phrase ``convergent technologies'' refers to the synergistic combination of four major ``NBIC'' (nano-bio-info-cogno) provinces of science and technology, each of which is currently progressing at a rapid rate: (a) nanoscience and nanotechnology; (b) biotechnology and biomedicine, including genetic engineering; (c) information technology, including advanced computing and communications; (d) cognitive science, including cognitive neuroscience.

Timely and Broad Opportunity. Convergence of diverse technologies is based on material unity at the nanoscale and on technology integration from that scale. The building blocks of matter that are fundamental to all sciences originate at the nanoscale. Revolutionary advances at the interfaces between previously separate fields of science and technology are ready to create key transforming tools for NBIC technologies. Developments in systems approaches, mathematics, and computation in conjunction with NBIC allow us for the first time to understand the natural world, human society, and scientific research as closely coupled complex, hierarchical systems. At this moment in the evolution of technical achievement, improvement of human performance through integration of technologies becomes possible. Examples of payoffs may include improving work efficiency and learning, enhancing individual sensory and cognitive capabilities, revolutionary changes in healthcare, improving both individual and group creativity, highly effective communication techniques including brain-to-brain interaction, perfecting human machine interfaces including neuromorphic engineering, sustainable and ``intelligent'' environments including neuroergonomics, enhancing human capabilities for defense purposes, reaching sustainable development using NBIC tools, and ameliorating the physical and cognitive decline that is common to the aging mind.

The workshop participants envision important breakthroughs in NBIC-related areas in the next 10 to 20 years. Fundamental research requires about the same interval to yield significant applications. Now is the time to anticipate the research issues and plan an R&D approach that would yield optimal results.[/INDENT]What god(s) do you believe in?

No matter what you believe, it's always some kind of invisible dragon phenomenon no more or less ridiculous than the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

I mean as an agnostic I'm not saying such a thing could not exist, I'm just not going to assume so in the total absence of compelling evidence.

How does your explanation apply to Salima's example of the family who has a child with learning difficulties but it has made their life better in many ways? And you really haven't offered an explantion/theory to support your claim, all you've done is given alot of information but the information above does not include any proof of anything, it's just a summary, it doesn't actually include a real life experiment to back up what it means with real life results and no conclusive proof of anything!
The god i believe in is the god that I have experienced in the past and the present during moments I cannot really explain, cant see how it's similar to noodles.
Thank you

---------- Post added 07-15-2009 at 12:35 PM ----------

Im sorry I cant open your link odenskrgare.

richrf

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2009 12:07 pm
@William,
William;77406 wrote:

I can't help but draw on the sayings often used that might help you in your understanding a bit: "what goes around, comes around; and if it ain't broke don't fix it!" William

The way I look at it, is that lawsuits in the U.S. help to keep overzealous tinkerers at bay. The first whopping million dollar lawsuit usually acts as a wake-up call. And when you mess around with the mind, you are talking big bucks.

Don't really like the legal system in the U.S., but it has its usefulness - especially in keeping the fixer-uppers in their place. Just google "million dollar lawsuits surgeon". There are plenty of them. And they are won!

Rich

odenskrigare

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2009 05:21 pm
@richrf,
William;77406 wrote:
I can't help but draw on the sayings often used that might help you in your understanding a bit: "what goes around, comes around; and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Is blindness a form of brokenness?

I'd say so.

William;77406 wrote:

Oden, you can't disturb nature; you can only piss her off and the film you introduced is evidence of just how irate she can become due to our ignorance stemming from our presummed and autonomous intelligence, of which some atheist claim to have all the answers, in referring to that intelligence that is the core of the universe as the 'flying spaghetti monster"? How rude! Which is typical; if we don't understand it we call "it" names!

Nature isn't a person, "he" or "her".

William;77406 wrote:
But you can rest assured it was to the anger of Mother Nature due to our ignorance of all her complexities. IMO; something we will never understand in it's entirety. At least not soon at any rate.

This is what causes smallpox, good ol'Variola vera:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/drama/content/images/2006/11/24/smallpox_396x222.jpg

And it is understood in its entirety. From Wikipedia:

[indent]During the 20th century, it is estimated that smallpox was responsible for 300-500 million deaths.[7][8][9] In the early 1950s an estimated 50 million cases of smallpox occurred in the world each year.[10] As recently as 1967, the World Health Organization estimated that 15 million people contracted the disease and that two million died in that year.[10] After successful vaccination campaigns throughout the 19th and 20th centuries, the WHO certified the eradication of smallpox in December 1979.[10] To this day, smallpox is the only human infectious disease to have been completely eradicated.[11][/indent]

And you know how this was brought about? Science. Not hand-waving.

Solace;77408 wrote:
But that's coercion!!

That's right humanity, just get "on the same boat" with the posthumans and they won't wipe you out "in disgust". Be prepared, "elect for brain modification" today!

It's not personal coercion per se; I mean nobody's pointing a gun to your head.

Just don't be a party pooper and everything will be just fine.

Caroline;77429 wrote:
How does your explanation apply to Salima's example of the family who has a child with learning difficulties but it has made their life better in many ways? And you really haven't offered an explantion/theory to support your claim, all you've done is given alot of information but the information above does not include any proof of anything, it's just a summary, it doesn't actually include a real life experiment to back up what it means with real life results and no conclusive proof of anything!

Well, I have no idea what disease that kid has in the first place but can assume safely it's in the brain. What the summary of that paper is about it how nanotechnology, biology, cognitive science and information science are coming together in ways that are making it possible (not will, are) to transcend the limitations of our biology.

So eventually it will be possible to fix learning disabilities like his.

Also science doesn't prove anything, js

Caroline;77429 wrote:

The god i believe in is the god that I have experienced in the past and the present during moments I cannot really explain, cant see how it's similar to noodles.

"I can't really explain" has been shown throughout history to be a really unproductive attitude.

In particular assuming there is some kind of "magic" that prevents things from being understood has always fallen flat.

Caroline;77429 wrote:
Im sorry I cant open your link odenskrgare.

It's a PDF, can you open PDFs? Try again.

richrf;77439 wrote:
The way I look at it, is that lawsuits in the U.S. help to keep overzealous tinkerers at bay. The first whopping million dollar lawsuit usually acts as a wake-up call. And when you mess around with the mind, you are talking big bucks.

Don't really like the legal system in the U.S., but it has its usefulness - especially in keeping the fixer-uppers in their place. Just google "million dollar lawsuits surgeon". There are plenty of them. And they are won!

Rich

Yeah, those scientists and doctors with their attempts to gain knowledge and heal the injured: A PLAGUE UPON BOTH THEIR HOUSES

Anyway, this argument falls apart on several accounts:

• These lawsuits generally apply to malpractice cases where the medical staff buggered up a sound procedure, not in cases where patients willingly undergo experimental procedures, sign a waiver form and everything where they agree not to sue the doctors and engineers involved.
  • You're assuming that all of this research is conducted in the US. It isn't. If the US gets too restrictive, presumably researchers will have to pack up and go elsewhere, which is a shame. (During Bush II, if I remember correctly, a lot of stem cell research was carried out in Europe because it was too hard here, financially. And that's why I'm so vehemently opposed to the religious right and the mystical left.)
  • Even if there is risk of lawsuit, some agencies like DARPA have lots of money and are willing to take risky investments if they look like they could conceivably pay off. Presumably, they take the risk of lawsuit and other legal complications into account in a lot of the neuro stuff they're looking into now, but proceed anyway.
  • Last, not all the neuroscientific procedures I'm sure you find ghastly are invasive. A number of brain-computers interfaces just read the electromagnetic signature of the brain passively without jimmying open the skull, badabing, no room for medical malpractice lawsuits.

richrf

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2009 06:00 pm
@odenskrigare,
odenskrigare;77490 wrote:
Last, not all the neuroscientific procedures I'm sure you find ghastly are invasive. A number of brain-computers interfaces just read the electromagnetic signature of the brain passively without jimmying open the skull, badabing, no room for medical malpractice lawsuits.

Great to hear that the medical profession is learning how to keep itself out of lawsuits.

Rich

Solace

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2009 06:12 pm
@odenskrigare,

If I thought your vision of the future had even a remote chance of becoming reality I might be worried... :rolleyes:

William

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2009 07:00 pm
@odenskrigare,
Is blindness a form of brokenness?

I'd say so.

(Yes, so it seems. I will be more than happy to get you a pair of glasses, if you wish? Sorry, it is not I who is blind, if that is what you are referring to?)

Nature isn't a person, "he" or "her".

(Do tell? Ever heard of human nature? Granted it is not "Mother Nature", but they both have "their natures" and they must get along, IMO.)

This is what causes smallpox, good ol'Variola vera:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/drama/content/images/2006/11/24/smallpox_396x222.jpg

And it is understood in its entirety. From Wikipedia:
[INDENT]During the 20th century, it is estimated that smallpox was responsible for 300-500 million deaths.[7][8][9] In the early 1950s an estimated 50 million cases of smallpox occurred in the world each year.[10] As recently as 1967, the World Health Organization estimated that 15 million people contracted the disease and that two million died in that year.[10] After successful vaccination campaigns throughout the 19th and 20th centuries, the WHO certified the eradication of smallpox in December 1979.[10] To this day, smallpox is the only human infectious disease to have been completely eradicated.[11]
[/INDENT]And you know how this was brought about? Science. Not hand-waving.

(Science just "eyeballed" the predator, knowing where it came from is not known).

(Just don't bring your poop to my party, or disturb my guests with your "new and improved brain"! No body likes a "know it all anyway)

Well, I have no idea what disease that kid has in the first place but can assume safely it's in the brain. What the summary of that paper is about it how nanotechnology, biology, cognitive science and information science are coming together in ways that are making it possible (not will, are) to transcend the limitations of our biology.

(IMO, it's not limitations; it is a brick wall and it is there for a reason.)

So eventually it will be possible to fix learning disabilities like his.
Also science doesn't prove anything, js

"I can't really explain" has been shown throughout history to be a really unproductive attitude.

(It couldn't be the repercussions of technology is what caused that "unproductive attitude now, could it? Hmmm?)

In particular assuming there is some kind of "magic" that prevents things from being understood has always fallen flat.

(Seems like you need a "magic wand"? Nothing like puffing up the old spirit, huh?)

It's a PDF, can you open PDFs? Try again.

Yeah, those scientists and doctors with their attempts to gain knowledge and heal the injured: A PLAGUE UPON BOTH THEIR HOUSES.

(Watch out for what you wish for; it could have very damaging results!)

As for the above added "scarcasms", sorry; couldn't resist.) :surrender:You dish it out rather well, so I am sure you can take it, Huh? No offense.

William

odenskrigare

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2009 07:05 pm
@Solace,
richrf;77494 wrote:
Great to hear that the medical profession is learning how to keep itself out of lawsuits.

Rich

It is.

Solace;77497 wrote:
If I thought your vision of the future had even a remote chance of becoming reality I might be worried... :rolleyes:

On what basis do you say my vision of the future has no chance of becoming reality?

I mean are you actually keeping up with current research and implementations, or are you just going on what you feel is true?

I'm gonna go with door #2

---------- Post added 07-15-2009 at 09:23 PM ----------

William;77507 wrote:
As for the above added "scarcasms", sorry; couldn't resist.) :surrender:You dish it out rather well, so I am sure you can take it, Huh? No offense.

William

Well your entire reply was in quote tags so it's harder to go point by point, but the most salient things are:

Blindness: this can't just be fixed by glasses. Some kinds of acquired blindness (e.g., the eyeballs get smashed) are starting to be fixed by retinal implants which interact directly with the optic nerves. It may even require fully invasive neural implants to cure congenital blindness.

(The "just shut up and bow down to the awesome power of Nature" approach has no answers for this.)

(In fact, it appears to condemn agriculture as much as any other technology.)

(In fact, glasses are also instances of transhumanist technology. Do you object to them, too?)

Human nature / "Gaia": you haven't even defined these clearly yet. What are they?

Viri: Scientists have a pretty good idea of how they come into being. Regardless, "just shut up and worship Nature" didn't get rid of smallpox. Smallpox vaccinations did. That you would belittle this achievement is stunning, because smallpox used to kill millions of people.

The "brick wall" of biological limitations: You appear to believe it is impenetrable. So why has it been breached constantly since the dawn of medicine? Why is it continuing to be breached now?

Repercussions of technology: technology has done more good than harm. You appear to take it for granted that there is now a high degree of probability you will live past 30 and not be devoured by diseases. Is that the case?

Fido

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2009 08:29 pm
@odenskrigare,
odenskrigare;77358 wrote:
Deliberately inflicting suffering on yourself for no good reason looks like masochism well enough.

Of course I don't believe in God. God is for heathens. I believe in the one true author of the Universe:

http://commonsenseatheism.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/fsm.jpg

Actually, Gods are for heathens, and Pagans; and if you should ask, they are the same thing... The people of the Heath, in England, and the Pagani, the country people of Italy were the last to give up their traditional Gods... We find the same conservatism among our country people today...God works for them and they can see his works... Their belief is re-enforced...

odenskrigare

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2009 08:44 pm
@Fido,
Fido;77525 wrote:
Actually, Gods are for heathens, and Pagans; and if you should ask, they are the same thing... The people of the Heath, in England, and the Pagani, the country people of Italy were the last to give up their traditional Gods... We find the same conservatism among our country people today...God works for them and they can see his works... Their belief is re-enforced...

That's very interesting but, seriously, what have Woden, Mercury, or Chernobog done for us recently?

Fido

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2009 08:54 pm
@odenskrigare,
odenskrigare;77529 wrote:
That's very interesting but, seriously, what have Woden, Mercury, or Chernobog done for us recently?

Thor, Woden, and Fria give us the three best days of every week...Is that recent enough for you???

odenskrigare

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2009 09:00 pm
@Fido,
Fido;77536 wrote:
Thor, Woden, and Fria give us the three best days of every week...Is that recent enough for you???

Whenever I think of a great day, Wednesday is not the first one that comes to mind

In fact, Wednesday's almost as bad as Monday

Saying that imaginary gods gave us the weekdays is as silly as saying that we owe two whole months to Julius Caesar and Augustus. July and August existed well before those guys.

Also: stop derailing my thread with trivia about dead religions, I'm already familiar with them. I am "Odens krigare" after all...

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/29/2024 at 09:19:06