Recreational use of drugs (legal and illegal)

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

EmperorNero

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 01:57 pm
@gojo1978,
gojo1978;60279 wrote:
Okay... We're moving now. :a-ok:

If you don't care, can we then take it that you concede that, setting aside the "I don't want a change" line, there are no good reasons for marijuana to have ever been illegal?

I don't know. I think the reason was and is that it is harmful to individual humans and the nation as a whole.

I don't think the reason for originally making it illegal matters now. If that reason was bad, it will be easy to argue now that decriminalizing will be a change for the better.

gojo1978

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 02:24 pm
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero wrote:
I don't know. I think the reason was and is that it is harmful to individual humans and the nation as a whole.

I don't think the reason for originally making it illegal matters now. If that reason was bad, it will be easy to argue now that decriminalizing will be a change for the better.

Yes, that's what I'm driving at. Now, obviously, you are voicing your own opinion rather than making a legal case, but working within that, you stated previously that people should have the right to self-harm, which I agree with, providing it doesn't physically damage someone else's life. Now, it is widely reported that cannabis causes many less (if any) fatalities than drinking, so the ongoing legality of alcohol tramples on any point the anti-legalisation lobby can make.

In my own opinion, the legalisation and regulation of drugs is the way forward, for reasons stated here many times already, primarily the drain on resources, etc.

EmperorNero wrote:
If you want to hear my opinion, I don't really care if marijuana gets legalized.
As long as the rule of law isn't circumvented to do so.

Now, I'm going to guess here, and forgive me if I'm wrong, that you are against gun control. If that is so, then this contradicts the above point, as the whole rationale behind the insane US gun laws is to overthrow a, shall we say, over-exuberant government. But what is the government, if not the maker, implementer and upholder of laws?

But all of that aside, I salute your move toward reasoned debate. :a-ok:

EmperorNero

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 02:55 pm
@gojo1978,
gojo1978;60282 wrote:
Yes, that's what I'm driving at. Now, obviously, you are voicing your own opinion rather than making a legal case, but working within that, you stated previously that people should have the right to self-harm, which I agree with, providing it doesn't physically damage someone else's life.

There should be a right to self-harm in a free republic, but that there is no harm to others has to be sufficiently shown by the side that wants the change. Not the other way around. And all I'm saying is that this is the only question that matters as an argument for the legalization of marijuana.
The proponents know that they can't do that, which is why pro-legalization districts and cities don't follow the rule of law.

gojo1978;60282 wrote:
In my own opinion, the legalisation and regulation of drugs is the way forward, for reasons stated here many times already, primarily the drain on resources, etc.

Now, it is widely reported that cannabis causes many less (if any) fatalities than drinking, so the ongoing legality of alcohol tramples on any point the anti-legalisation lobby can make.

Maybe. And I'm not entirely closed to that option. But the legality of alcohol is no argument for legalization of marijuana.

And I don't think it is out of the question that alcohol might be outlawed, with muslims becoming a larger share of the population.
Did you know that you can't take alcohol in many cabs in New York?

gojo1978;60282 wrote:
Now, I'm going to guess here, and forgive me if I'm wrong, that you are against gun control. If that is so, then this contradicts the above point, as the whole rationale behind the insane US gun laws is to overthrow a, shall we say, over-exuberant government. But what is the government, if not the maker, implementer and upholder of laws?

I am against gun control, because it doesn't work. And because it restricts freedom.

gojo1978;60282 wrote:
But all of that aside, I salute your move toward reasoned debate. :a-ok:

Now that there are some things where I agree with you. But I was reasonable all the way, you just don't like to hear it.
Did you step down from that natural talk, btw? It's not an argument with any legal weight at least.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 03:13 pm
@gojo1978,
EmperorNero wrote:
Sorry for the standard of my post in this thread falling.
I'm tired of this debate. The arguments just don't follw, thay just dont.

Sounds like you're mind was solidly made up in the first place.

EmperorNero wrote:
Sure. But the argument does not just have to support a conclusion, it has to support the conclusion that you make it for, and all the other arguments don't meet that requirement. Or they are wrong.

Yeah, I obviously have no idea what I'm talking about and all these words I've typed are gibberish.

EmperorNero wrote:
Fine, it would. Now what? Abolishing any law would save the resources of enforcing it.

I already told you what - by not spending money combating marijuana more funding is made available for more serious social problems.

EmperorNero wrote:
I accept it for the sake of the argument - for now.

Still that does not support your premise. It just doesn't.

It just doesn't? That prohibition has been an absolute failure, and that prohibition continues to fail year after year, without any indication of a shift in policy that might improve the exercise of prohibition - these are reasons as to why prohibition should be abandoned: it doesn't work.

If a policy does not work, a new policy is needed. Prohibition does not work, so a new policy is needed. For the various reasons I have mentioned, among other reasons, regulated legalization seems to be the best alternative.

My premise is that prohibition is a failure, which supports my conclusion that prohibition should be scrapped.

EmperorNero wrote:
No it's not.

Prohibition is not enforced? Then how do you explain the millions of pounds of marijuana seized every year and the over 700,000 Americans arrested on marijuana charges?

EmperorNero wrote:
I don't have to. I disputed your argument. I can sit back and enjoy not having the burden of proof.

Oh, we're back to that again - too good to defend your assertions. How many pages did it take for you to finally admit that some burden of proof rests on the conservative side when liberal arguments are made? Sheesh, man.

EmperorNero wrote:
Relativism. I'm tired of this. Lets just agree to disagree.
You believe whatever you want to believe.

Somehow facts are some brand of relativism?

EmperorNero wrote:
Maybe it's undeniable. But it does not support the conclusion.

You do realize that my conclusion is that 1) prohibition, being a failure, should be abolished 2) that regulated legalization is the best alternative to prohibition?
That prohibition, in and of itself, creates violence that threatens law abiding citizens most certainly supports the first part of my conclusion.

EmperorNero wrote:
Which is what I'm telling you all the time. You would make the argument that your change is for the better.

You are telling me what all the time? That a border fence will not help the problem? That our attempts to enforce marijuana laws fail to reduce the supply of marijuana?

EmperorNero wrote:
See, now you are arguing that your change will be for the better. And I agree. If that is true, I don't know.

Of course I'm arguing that regulated legalization will be an improvement over prohibition! I've been doing that for pages.

EmperorNero wrote:
The point is that you can't only count the negatives on one side and only the positives of the other.
The government apparatus keeping the useless prohibition intact is stimulus as well.

You are right - government spending on law enforcement to combat marijuana is some stimulus. However, when you compare the potential to tax marijuana (again, it's California's largest cash crop and one of the largest cash crops nation wide) the stimulus to our economy from taxation dwarfs the minor drop of law enforcement spending. Besides, by ending prohibition the stimulus from that law enforcement spending does not have to disappear: it can be redistributed for other law enforcement purpose and therefore provide just as much stimulus as before. With legalization, you get the same law enforcement spending on top of the tax revenues from marijuana.

EmperorNero wrote:
No, it's not. There isn't a homicide rate at which point we should abolish criminalization of it.

I never said there was. Here's the deal - the business of growing marijuana, and the practice of consuming marijuana cannot be analogized with the crime of homicide. Even under the current laws these are entirely different sorts of crimes.

EmperorNero wrote:
Not, really. It's 1) There is a problem 2) How to best reduce that problem

And what is the problem? The failure of prohibition. What is the best way to address the problem? Abolish prohibition and look into more pragmatic options like decriminalization or legalization.

Zetherin

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 03:20 pm
@The Dude phil phil,
Aedes wrote:
If marijuana has risk of harm and addiction, but also can be medically beneficial, then its therapeutic use can be legalized but its recreational use kept illegal.
Why do we not see the same with alcohol?

Didymos Thomas

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 03:24 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:

Not trying to scoop Aedes' questions, but I think the answer is two fold: 1) alcohol is and has always been the more pervasive drug in the US and 2) the normality of growing marijuana was destroyed by propaganda from money grubbers like Hearst and from the US government.

EmperorNero

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 03:40 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;60289 wrote:
Prohibition is not enforced? Then how do you explain the millions of pounds of marijuana seized every year and the over 700,000 Americans arrested on marijuana charges?

An example to prove a negative.
In California cops don't enforce the law any more. And a lot of people have medical marijuana licenses as an excuse.

Oh, we're back to that again - too good to defend your assertions. How many pages did it take for you to finally admit that some burden of proof rests on the conservative side when liberal arguments are made?

I never needed to admit anything. It took you so so long to understand. The conservative side does not have to justify existing laws. They can debunk arguments against it.

Of course I'm arguing that regulated legalization will be an improvement over prohibition! I've been doing that for pages.

You have to put arguments fourth that support that premise, not just words.

You are right - government spending on law enforcement to combat marijuana is some stimulus. However, when you compare the potential to tax marijuana (again, it's California's largest cash crop and one of the largest cash crops nation wide) the stimulus to our economy from taxation dwarfs the minor drop of law enforcement spending.

A consumption tax would have the same effect. So your argument is for another premise.

I never said there was. Here's the deal - the business of growing marijuana, and the practice of consuming marijuana cannot be analogized with the crime of homicide. Even under the current laws these are entirely different sorts of crimes.

What's fundamentally different? Malum in se?

And what is the problem? The failure of prohibition.

Name another crime where the failure of enforcement is the problem, not the crime. Tax fraud, conspiracy, forgery? Anything? That's not how it works.
You say: A trying to stop B from doing a bad thing causes problems. So A's action should instead be declared legal, because it's B's fault.
Did it ever occur to you that people could just stop smoking marijuana. No more enforcement cost, no more drug gangs, nobody in prison for it.

Zetherin

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 03:41 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
Not trying to scoop Aedes' questions, but I think the answer is two fold: 1) alcohol is and has always been the more pervasive drug in the US and 2) the normality of growing marijuana was destroyed by propaganda from money grubbers like Hearst and from the US government.

So, essentially, it's just popularity.

Isn't it a bit silly to base illegalities on popularity? I don't feel popularity is good reason, and I'd hope illegalities are based on good reason.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 04:14 pm
@Zetherin,
EmperorNero wrote:
An example to prove a negative.
In California cops don't enforce the law any more. And a lot of people have medical marijuana licenses as an excuse.

First, you will still have to explain how the claim 'prohibition is not enforced' can be true even though 700,000 Americans are arrested each year as a result of prohibition.

Second, citing a single state as evidence is insufficient for demonstrating that the national prohibition is not enforced. Even if it was true that California no longer enforces marijuana laws, it does not follow that marijuana laws are not enforced in the US.

Third, the State of California does enforce state marijuana laws. The Federal government enforces Federal marijuana laws. The only Federal marijuana law not currently enforced in California is the prohibition on medical marijuana dispensaries. All of the others, such as possession, distribution, sale, transportation across state/international border, contributing to a minor, ect are still enforced by Federal law enforcement.

Fourth, to have a medical marijuana license in California the patient needs a prescription from a doctor. Unless you honestly want to sweepingly accuse California doctors of disobeying state statue, there is no reason to suggest that medical marijuana is used to circumvent state statue.

EmperorNero wrote:
I never needed to admit anything. It took you so so long to understand. The conservative side does not have to justify existing laws. They can debunk arguments against it.

You've already admitted that the conservative side does have to justify the status quo when the liberal side presents honest arguments against the current laws.

By debunking, or attempting to debunk, the liberal claims the conservative is justifying existing laws.

EmperorNero wrote:
You have to put arguments fourth that support that premise, not just words.

And I did present arguments. Perhaps you neglected to read the past few pages of dialog. You know, the failure of prohibition, the tax revenue to be gained from legal marijuana.

EmperorNero wrote:
A consumption tax would have the same effect. So your argument is for another premise.

You cannot have a consumption tax when the product being consumed is illicit.

EmperorNero wrote:
What's fundamentally different? Malum in se?

Both acts are wrong regardless of government regulation.

The difference is that the use of marijuana is something the victim consents to, whereas the victim of murder is not a consenting party.

EmperorNero wrote:
Name another crime where the failure of enforcement is the problem, not the crime. Tax fraud, conspiracy, forgery? Anything? That's not how it works.

That's not how it works, you say, and meanwhile you do not care to respond to significant portions of my posts which are direct responses to your claims and arguments. Right.

I never said it was the failure of enforcement created unnecessary problems, instead my point is that the mere attempt to enforce prohibition creates these problems (bloodshed, over-crowded prisons, drain on law enforcement resources, ect).

If you want another example of legislation which makes something(s) illegal that only made the initial problem more acute I've got some for you: Jim Crow, the prohibition of alcohol, Vietnam War draft.

EmperorNero wrote:
You say: A trying to stop B from doing a bad thing causes problems. So A's action should instead be declared legal, because it's B's fault.

Not quite. A trying to stop B from doing a bad thing causes problems. A's action should be made legal so that B will no longer be forced to create the unnecessary problems resulting from A's action.

EmperorNero wrote:
Did it ever occur to you that people could just stop smoking marijuana. No more enforcement cost, no more drug gangs, nobody in prison for it.

Public policy is about pragmatic solutions to real problems, not fairy-tale utopian pipe dreams.

People could just stop smoking cigarettes - less cancer and so forth. But demanding that people just stop smoking cigarettes will not do anything to help solve the health problems related to smoking. People are going to smoke cigarettes. People are going to smoke marijuana - heck, people have been smoking marijuana ever since they discovered that inhaling the smoke from the smoldering plant got them high. Demanding that tens of millions of Americans reverse ten thousand years of practice is absurd, and suggesting such a measure as public policy is delusional.

Zetherin wrote:
So, essentially, it's just popularity.

Isn't it a bit silly to base illegalities on popularity? I don't feel popularity is good reason, and I'd hope illegalities are based on good reason.

Popularity and intentional disinformation.

Most laws are based on popularity to some extent, tempered by compromise. I agree that popularity is a poor way to determine law and that having a good reason for making something illegal would be preferable to the current situation. But we all know how rarely that occurs.

EmperorNero

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 04:43 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;60301 wrote:
First, you will still have to explain how the claim 'prohibition is not enforced' can be true even though 700,000 Americans are arrested each year as a result of prohibition.

Sure, it's largely enforced. It should be fully enforced.
They slowly abrogate the rule of law.

Quote:
Second, citing a single state as evidence is insufficient for demonstrating that the national prohibition is not enforced. Even if it was true that California no longer enforces marijuana laws, it does not follow that marijuana laws are not enforced in the US.

The standard is that it's enforced, not that its not.

Quote:
Third, the State of California does enforce state marijuana laws. The Federal government enforces Federal marijuana laws. The only Federal marijuana law not currently enforced in California is the prohibition on medical marijuana dispensaries. All of the others, such as possession, distribution, sale, transportation across state/international border, contributing to a minor, ect are still enforced by Federal law enforcement.

They cant pick the laws they like to follow. If they want to succeed from the Union, they can try.

Quote:
Fourth, to have a medical marijuana license in California the patient needs a prescription from a doctor. Unless you honestly want to sweepingly accuse California doctors of disobeying state statue, there is no reason to suggest that medical marijuana is used to circumvent state statue.

We both know that a lot of those licenses are for phony illnesses.

Quote:
You've already admitted that the conservative side does have to justify the status quo when the liberal side presents honest arguments against the current laws.

By debunking, or attempting to debunk, the liberal claims the conservative is justifying existing laws.

If you want to call it that. But the point is that the other side has to come up with arguments, and "the conservative" side's only job is to point out that the arguments are wrong or that they don't support the premise.
If the argument comes at them that marijuana restriction is the reason that puppies are sad, they can say: No it's not.
If the argument comes at them that legalization doesn't work, they can say: Sure, so what.

Quote:
Quote:
You cannot have a consumption tax when the product being consumed is illicit.

The money that drug dealers spend would be taxed by a consumption tax.

Quote:
The difference is that the use of marijuana is something the victim consents to, whereas the victim of murder is not a consenting party.

It would have to be shown that there is no one else harmed by drug use. That cannot be assumed. That's the whole argument. So they are not "totally different".
Quote:

Not quite. A trying to stop B from doing a bad thing causes problems. A's action should be made legal so that B will no longer be forced to create the unnecessary problems resulting from A's action.

That's called relativism. Justifying one bad thing with another. I'm fat, so I might as well drink too much as well.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 11:12 pm
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero wrote:
They slowly abrogate the rule of law.

So your earlier claim that prohibition is not enforced is incorrect?

To the point: prohibition is enforced. That's fact. Ask your local law enforcement agent. What law enforcement cannot do is arrest everyone who violates marijuana laws because, overnight, at least ten percent of the US population would be behind bars.

EmperorNero wrote:
The standard is that it's enforced, not that its not.

Way to ignore my argument.

EmperorNero wrote:
They cant pick the laws they like to follow. If they want to succeed from the Union, they can try.

You are right - and California does not pick and chose which laws to follow. It was a decision by the Obama administration to end DEA raids on medical marijuana dispensaries. The Federal government made the call, not the state of California. This information is readily available, you might try to check up on it.

EmperorNero wrote:
We both know that a lot of those licenses are for phony illnesses.

No, we don't. You might make that assumption. I trust the fact that medical doctors have years of training and schooling under their belt and that they know far more about medicine than either you or I.

EmperorNero wrote:
If you want to call it that. But the point is that the other side has to come up with arguments, and "the conservative" side's only job is to point out that the arguments are wrong or that they don't support the premise.

The conservative must do more than "point out", they must make the case that the arguments are somehow flawed.

EmperorNero wrote:
If the argument comes at them that marijuana restriction is the reason that puppies are sad, they can say: No it's not.
If the argument comes at them that legalization doesn't work, they can say: Sure, so what.

Right, they are capable of this sort of response. However, this sort of response has no real content, it's simply appeal to tradition.

EmperorNero wrote:
The money that drug dealers spend would be taxed by a consumption tax.

But the consumption of marijuana could not be taxed unless marijuana were made legal - and that is where the real revenue is.

EmperorNero wrote:
It would have to be shown that there is no one else harmed by drug use. That cannot be assumed. That's the whole argument. So they are not "totally different".

And just like alcohol, people who harm others under the influence of marijuana would be subject to criminal prosecution for said harm. Homicide and smoking marijuana remain totally different, expect that both are currently criminal acts in the US.

EmperorNero wrote:
That's called relativism. Justifying one bad thing with another. I'm fat, so I might as well drink too much as well.

And what sort of relativism is that? It is not moral relativism. It is not Einstein's theory of relativity.

My statement does not justify one bad thing with another. My statement laments that one bad thing is addressed by a far worse thing. There is, you know, a difference. By making A's action legal, A is released from the fear of legal prosecution while B is released from enforcing nonsensical legislation. It's win win for both A and B.

xris

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2009 03:43 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Drugs hard and soft will never be eliminated by the act of prohibition.
The philosophical approach would be so much more agreeable to society as a whole.
If we decriminalized drugs it would remove the criminal element and obtaining new recruits would be pointless to the drug dealers.
If drugs where administered by doctors instead of addicts having to buy them, crime by addicts,estimated at 60% in certain communities,would be eliminated.
You can not stop addiction by criminilizing it but you can control it by freeing the addicts from the necessity of obtaining it illegally.

EmperorNero

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2009 06:13 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;60329 wrote:
So your earlier claim that prohibition is not enforced is incorrect?

To the point: prohibition is enforced. That's fact. Ask your local law enforcement agent.

If you're just going to play word games, I see no reason to keep this up. Quit with the "you admitted that" and "so your earlier claim is incorrect". I approve of everything that I posted in this thread.
The drug laws are not either "enforced" or "not enforced". In many cities for example in California the drug laws are not enforced (enough). And pointing out examples where it is, doesn't mean that it's "enforced". Counterexamples don't negate other counterexamples. It should be fully enforced. You don't say that if the police lets 10% of murderers go because the prison doors are open at night, that the law is "enforced" because the other 90% are not let go.

Quote:
What law enforcement cannot do is arrest everyone who violates marijuana laws because, overnight, at least ten percent of the US population would be behind bars.

Maybe.

Quote:
Way to ignore my argument.

Now i got to look back at the last post.......
Quote:

I covered that in another answer:
EmperorNero;60304 wrote:

I noted that a bunch of times.

Quote:
You are right - and California does not pick and chose which laws to follow. It was a decision by the Obama administration to end DEA raids on medical marijuana dispensaries. The Federal government made the call, not the state of California. This information is readily available, you might try to check up on it.

Okay.

Quote:
No, we don't. You might make that assumption. I trust the fact that medical doctors have years of training and schooling under their belt and that they know far more about medicine than either you or I.

Some doctors just give out licenses for phony back pain or whatever. Like every of those with a marijuana license needs one, weird they're all hippies and nobody needed one 20 years ago.

Quote:
The conservative must do more than "point out", they must make the case that the arguments are somehow flawed.

Right, they are capable of this sort of response. However, this sort of response has no real content, it's simply appeal to tradition.

Well, that's not correct.

Quote:
But the consumption of marijuana could not be taxed unless marijuana were made legal - and that is where the real revenue is.

Marijuana could be taxed without it being legal, so legalization is not a necessary condition.

If you assemble a bunch of arguments, that by themselves don't support the conclusion, that you accredit them, but have to rely on each others, you are begging the question.

Quote:
And just like alcohol, people who harm others under the influence of marijuana would be subject to criminal prosecution for said harm. Homicide and smoking marijuana remain totally different, expect that both are currently criminal acts in the US.

Okay, they are different in that homicide definitely causes harm to others. Why do you think drunk driving is illegal? It doesn't harm anyone.

Quote:
And what sort of relativism is that? It is not moral relativism. It is not Einstein's theory of relativity.

My statement does not justify one bad thing with another. My statement laments that one bad thing is addressed by a far worse thing. There is, you know, a difference. By making A's action legal, A is released from the fear of legal prosecution while B is released from enforcing nonsensical legislation. It's win win for both A and B.

We could call it logical relativism. You excuse one thing with another. Which you can't do, if you have the burden of proof.

Aedes

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2009 06:15 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;60292 wrote:
Alcohol's medical benefits come with a huge downside, i.e. all the bad things we know about alcohol. Given that no one has really established a generalizable way to prescribe it, it's not going to be an approved drug any time soon. Resveratrol is a non-alcoholic extract from wine that is being studied for the same benefits.

As for prohibiting its recreational use, we tried that once, remember? Besides, even right now there is an enormous illegal alcohol market in the US because it's taxed so heavily. In The Economist a week or two ago there was an article showing that Virginia loses as much as $10 million annually in lost taxes due to "moonshine" sales.

EmperorNero

Reply Wed 6 May, 2009 06:52 pm
@The Dude phil phil,
Okay heres the deal. We get marijuana legalization, in return we abolish socialism.
As for now, an individuals stupidity is absorbed by society. If one chooses to smoke himself stupid and unproductive, that is no longer "self-harm", as us others have pick up the slag and pay for their uselessness.
"We don't live in some idealized libertarian society where every person is responsible completely to himself. We live in a society where the cost of your poor decisions are borne by your fellow taxpayers."
- Chuck DeVore, R-Irvine
So the deal is lets have self reliance back and then we get the right the right to the freedoms that come with it. Either individual freedom or collectivism, we can't have it both ways.
Deal?

gojo1978

Reply Wed 6 May, 2009 07:43 pm
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero wrote:
I am against gun control, because it doesn't work. And because it restricts freedom.

What!?

Exactly the same can be said of marijuana laws. As, in fact, can the fact that marijuana doesn't result in 12,000 deaths a year in the USA alone.

EmperorNero

Reply Thu 7 May, 2009 05:53 am
@gojo1978,
gojo1978;61674 wrote:
What!?

Exactly the same can be said of marijuana laws.

1. Gun control does not have the desired effects in theory, even if enforcement were working perfectly. I didn't mean that enforcement is ineffective. Criminals will still get a gun as long as there are enough around and the borders are open. So gun control only disarms the victims.
The purpose of marijuana restriction is marijuana restriction itself, if enforcement were working perfectly marijuana would be restricted.
2. Sadly we're socialist now and the individual freedoms card doesn't play any more. So we can restrict the right to "self-harm", as we are collectivist now ant it's no longer self-harm. We can't have it both ways. But what about post 135? Lets lobby for libertarianism together.

xris

Reply Thu 7 May, 2009 07:45 am
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero wrote:
1. Gun control does not have the desired effects in theory, even if enforcement were working perfectly. I didn't mean that enforcement is ineffective. Criminals will still get a gun as long as there are enough around and the borders are open. So gun control only disarms the victims.
The purpose of marijuana restriction is marijuana restriction itself, if enforcement were working perfectly marijuana would be restricted.
2. Sadly we're socialist now and the individual freedoms card doesn't play any more. So we can restrict the right to "self-harm", as we are collectivist now ant it's no longer self-harm. We can't have it both ways. But what about post 135? Lets lobby for libertarianism together.
90% of deaths by fire arms are family affairs so the victim is usually the owner of the gun or close family member, so thats knocked that right wing stupid argument out the window.So keeping drugs illegal is working in your opinion we are on top the problem and no socialist drug taking beer swilling long haired hippy is hanging out dragging the country down with his begging hand thrust in your face.

EmperorNero

Reply Thu 7 May, 2009 07:52 am
@xris,
xris;61734 wrote:
90% of deaths by fire arms are family affairs so the victim is usually the owner of the gun or close family member,

So? A gun does not need to kill someone to protect from crime.

xris;61734 wrote:
So keeping drugs illegal is working in your opinion

I said marijuana restriction restricts marijuana in theory as opposed to gun control that does not save lives in theory.

xris

Reply Thu 7 May, 2009 08:11 am
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero wrote:
So? A gun does not need to kill someone to protect you.

I said marijuana restriction restricts marijuana in theory as opposed to gun control that does not save lives in theory.
I did read it and making drugs illegal only drives the supply underground it does not reduce the quantity supplied to those who require it.
A gun may protect but the facts are that they kills more than it saves.
Why do you think the US has twenty times more deaths by guns than the UK per head of population.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/17/2024 at 05:21:15