Recreational use of drugs (legal and illegal)

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

EmperorNero

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 09:00 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;60216 wrote:
That's all you would need to do. However, if I state that the capital of France is London and then produce an argument I honestly find to be convincing, you respond by should pull out a world map or something to correct my mistake.

They do not even need to explain why they do not need to make an argument to support their position? And this practice of unsubstantiated assertions working with the sole justification that an assertion is right because the assertion is current policy is somehow not an appeal to tradition?

No, that's not what I am saying. I am saying that if a change is supported by thoughtful argument that detractors of the change have a responsibility to answer those thoughtful arguments.

Exactly. They only have to disprove what's coming at them. If they can't, the other side wins. But if no legitimate arguments are made, they win.
They have to answer to the other sides arguments. That is different than any arguments being expected from them, well only counter-arguments.
So this is not the case:
Didymos Thomas;59836 wrote:
to debunk the notion that regulated legalization is preferable to prohibition the opposing ideology would have to have some good reason. To put it simply: they lack any good reason. I'd be happy to explain this in detail; I understand that I've only made assertions thus far. If you disagree I would be happy to clarify these issues.

You can clarify now, but keep in mind what we discussed so far.

Didymos Thomas;60216 wrote:
And what, other than your agreement or disagreement with the argument, is different about legalizing medical use as opposed to recreational use from the standpoint of burden of proof?

With the legalization of recreational use, you maintain that conservatives need not make any argument in response to the liberal case. Should the conservatives follow the same principle you defend and refuse to hear arguments in favor of medical marijuana?

If legal medical marijuana is the law, sure. But that's different from medical use being an excuse for recreational use.
That marijuana can be used as a medicine does not mean that those not following the law are legitimate.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 09:52 am
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero wrote:
Exactly. They only have to disprove what's coming at them. If they can't, the other side wins. But if no legitimate arguments are made, they win.
They have to answer to the other sides arguments. That is different than any arguments being expected from them, well only counter-arguments.

So we should expect the conservatives to make an argument. Glad we finally got that one together.

EmperorNero wrote:
So this is not the case:

Actually, that is the case: when presented with an argument for change, the conservative must present a counter-argument, the conservative must debunk the liberal argument with good reason.

EmperorNero wrote:
You can clarify now, but keep in mind what we discussed so far.

Under current marijuana laws, over 700,000 people are arrested every year. This is a terrible drain on our economy, on law enforcement resources, and a tragedy for families when non-violent relatives are run through the criminal justice system. Prohibition does not curtail use of marijuana nor decrease the demand for the drug. Because so many Americans desire to smoke marijuana the manufacture, distribution, and sale of marijuana, the largest cash crop in California and one of the largest in the US, goes untaxed and is run by criminals. The result of this unnecessary criminal syndicate is the use of violence to resolve disputes, which is currently rising to alarming rates on the US-Mexico border; this unnecessary blood-letting is a further drain on law enforcement resources and is a clear and present danger to civilians in high activity areas.

Regulated legalization would end the criminal stranglehold on the marijuana market, and for this reason would put an end to the bloodshed. Regulated legalization would allow for this valuable cash crop to be taxed, bringing in billions of dollars in revenue each year to state governments and the Federal government. With the legitimization of the marijuana industry real jobs can be added to the economy, turning illicit marijuana farmers into skilled workers and allowing entrepreneurs to establish businesses like the famous Amsterdam coffee shops. Also, government would be free of the revenue black hole that is created by housing hundreds of thousands of non-violent marijuana offenders. Law enforcement would be able to invest money saved from legalization into the enforcement of serious crimes like homicide and so forth.

By bringing marijuana sales out of the criminal underworld, you remove marijuana smokers from the more dangerous drugs so that they are less likely to get into heroin or cocaine and so forth. Under prohibition, anyone who smokes a joint is a criminal, and without prohibition you make millions of Americans law abiding citizens again.

Further, our society should be conscious of race relations and the ability of big business to corrupt information. The Hearst Newspaper empire began, before the turn of the century, racist articles targeting Mexicans. Some of these articles present marijuana as the drug that causes Mexicans to rape, murder and revolt against established society. The fear mongering campaign, which continued to use marijuana as described, was later expanded to include other minorities like African Americans. These articles were complete fabrications. Hearst's empire also cranked out propaganda films with the same sort of content. Hearst also published fabricated stories by the then head of the brand new Federal Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs, Mr. Harry Anslinger. Anslinger pushed the Marijuana Tax Act Law of 1937 through Congress, fighting off protests from various industry interests and the American Medical Association. With falsified testimony that marijuana caused "murder, insanity and death", Anslinger's legislative effort passed Congress.

When the Marijuana Tax Act was shot down as unconstitutional in 1969, the following year President Nixon signed the Controlled Substances Act. Nixon associated drug use, including marijuana, with the counter-cultural and anti-Vietnam War movements. Nixon saw marijuana as being associated with disliking Nixon. Nixon signed the act even after his own hand-picked Shafer Commission advised then President Nixon to decriminalize marijuana. In other words, Nixon had no interest in facts or what was best for the nation; he was willing to sacrifice prudent policy for his own strange, paranoid tinged political ambitions.

EmperorNero wrote:
If legal medical marijuana is the law, sure. But that's different from medical use being an excuse for recreational use.
That marijuana can be used as a medicine does not mean that those not following the law are legitimate.

Of course, legal medical marijuana does not exist at the Federal level and an implementation of legal medical marijuana at the Federal level would require a change in legislation. The points of my questions about medical marijuana are moot now that we have agreed that conservatives do need to make an argument in response to the liberal argument.

EmperorNero

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 10:39 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;60225 wrote:
So we should expect the conservatives to make an argument. Glad we finally got that one together.

Actually, that is the case: when presented with an argument for change, the conservative must present a counter-argument, the conservative must debunk the liberal argument with good reason.

You must differentiate "the liberal argument for change" and individual, separate arguments. An argument, that is brought forward does require a response, the overall premise does not require a response. Only it's individual assumptions.

In the following, I will point out the conclusions that each of your separate arguments support.
Which are all different from the premise of legalizing marijuana. (I left out repetition and explanations, that are not arguments.)
Before I do that, I like to point out, that the only valid argument is the right to non government restriction of self harm, so if you make an argument for that, I have no problem with marijuana legalization.

Under current marijuana laws, over 700,000 people are arrested every year. This is a terrible drain on our economy, on law enforcement resources,

=> Nothing.
Criminalization of homicide is a drain on the legal system as well. One unjustness does not excuse another.
Your solution to a problem is to declare it not a problem any more.

Prohibition does not curtail use of marijuana nor decrease the demand for the drug.

=> We should make prohibition work.

Because so many Americans desire to smoke marijuana the manufacture, distribution, and sale of marijuana, the largest cash crop in California and one of the largest in the US, goes untaxed and is run by criminals.

=> We should enforce prohibition.
In case you respond, that doesn't work: One unjustness does not excuse another.

The result of this unnecessary criminal syndicate is the use of violence to resolve disputes, which is currently rising to alarming rates on the US-Mexico border; this unnecessary blood-letting is a further drain on law enforcement resources and is a clear and present danger to civilians in high activity areas.

=> Nothing.
One unjustness does not excuse another.

Regulated legalization would end the criminal stranglehold on the marijuana market, and for this reason would put an end to the bloodshed.

=> Nothing.
That doesn't mean it's a good solution.
So would putting up a big ass border fence, or enforcing the rule of law.

Regulated legalization would allow for this valuable cash crop to be taxed, bringing in billions of dollars in revenue each year to state governments and the Federal government.

=> Nothing.
The prohibition and legal effort are a drain on the economy, yet having a bunch of car crashes and lost productivity is stimulus.

With the legitimization of the marijuana industry real jobs can be added to the economy, turning illicit marijuana farmers into skilled workers and allowing entrepreneurs to establish businesses

You only count the negative side of what would be abolished and only the positive side of what would be created instead.

Under prohibition, anyone who smokes a joint is a criminal, and without prohibition you make millions of Americans law abiding citizens again.

Sure. That's what the word means. If we legalize homicide and tax fraud, murderers and tax cheats would be law abiding citizens.

Nosada

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 10:53 am
@The Dude phil phil,
SAFER - Alcohol vs. Marijuana

This is the most compelling argument based on raw facts that I've found online showing the United States has clearly prohibited the wrong substance.

Also noteworthy:

By Marc Kaufman, Washington Post Staff Writer, Friday, May 26, 2006; Page A03

The largest study of its kind has unexpectedly concluded that smoking marijuana, even regularly and heavily, does not lead to lung cancer.

Aedes

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 11:06 am
@The Dude phil phil,
Nero, the therapeutic value of a drug is directly relevant to its legality as an FDA controlled substance. Even cocaine is legal in the US in an eyedrop under certain circumstances.

If marijuana has risk of harm and addiction, but also can be medically beneficial, then its therapeutic use can be legalized but its recreational use kept illegal.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 11:09 am
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero wrote:

Before I do that, I like to point out, that the only valid argument is the right to non government restriction of self harm, so if you make an argument for that, I have no problem with marijuana legalization.

While I think there is certainly an argument along the lines of what the government should and should not regulate, to claim that the only valid argument is the right to self harm is nonsense. A valid argument is any argument with a conclusion that follows logically from the premises.

EmperorNero wrote:
=> Nothing.
Criminalization of homicide is a drain on the legal system as well. One unjustness does not excuse another.
Your solution to a problem is to declare it not a problem any more.

No, never have I stated that widespread marijuana use is not a problem.

Instead, I give reasons why the current laws make the problem of marijuana use worse, and how those laws create a number of unnecessary societal ills that can be solved by regulated legalization of marijuana and also how regulated legalization of marijuana will not make the current problem of personal marijuana use any worse.

Now, would you actually like to address my point that by legalizing marijuana law enforcement would have greater resources to combat far more serious dangers to society, like homicide?

EmperorNero wrote:
=> We should make prohibition work.

And we should make burning fossil fuels good for the environment, and end world hunger. After nearly one hundred years of failed and costly prohibition we have to recognize the fact that prohibition does not work.

But I am glad to see that you already know that prohibition has failed us thus far.

EmperorNero wrote:
=> We should enforce prohibition.
In case you respond, that doesn't work: One unjustness does not excuse another.

Reasserting that prohibition should be enforced (which is odd in the first place because prohibition is enforced, which costs taxpayers billions of dollars each year without doing anything to stem the tide of marijuana production and consumption) in no way addresses the unnecessary and violent criminal syndicate created by prohibition nor the immense amount of potential tax revenue and jobs to be gained by legalization.

And let us say that we did, by some magical means, perfectly enforce prohibition - over night tens of millions of Americans would be locked up. It simply isn't possible. We do not have the jail space, enough officers, and the damage to productivity would wreck the economy.

EmperorNero wrote:
=> Nothing.
One unjustness does not excuse another.

I bring up the undeniable fact that marijuana prohibition creates a climate of violence that threatens American citizens and you say the issue is "nothing"? I think people lives have, you know, value.

EmperorNero wrote:
=> Nothing.
That doesn't mean it's a good solution.
So would putting up a big ass border fence, or enforcing the rule of law.

In of itself, this is not enough for legalization to be a good solution, instead this particular anecdote, along with the others, adds credibility to the overall argument that marijuana prohibition is not a pragmatic solution to the problem of marijuana use.

A giant border fence will not stop the violence. And we are trying to enforce the rule of law and failing miserably. That's the point: prohibition cannot handle the resulting criminal market. Prohibition causes a problem that cannot be solved by law enforcement, but can be solved by the end of prohibition.

EmperorNero wrote:
=> Nothing.
The prohibition and legal effort are a drain on the economy, yet having a bunch of car crashes and lost productivity is stimulus.

Except that you incorrectly assume that an end to prohibition will cause an increase in the incidents of marijuana related accidents and marijuana use. Over 40% of Americans have tried marijuana at least once, whereas less than 20% of the Dutch have tried marijuana - and the Dutch have a regulated marijuana market. The secret? The Netherlands made pot boring.

EmperorNero wrote:
You only count the negative side of what would be abolished and only the positive side of what would be created instead.

And what is the "positive side" of a marijuana policy that has completely failed in every regard for nearly a century, that costs an exorbitant amount of money and creates more serious problems than it addresses?

EmperorNero wrote:
Sure. That's what the word means. If we legalize homicide and tax fraud, murderers and tax cheats would be law abiding citizens.

Except that around a third of the nation is not a murderer at least once a month. The whole point of public policy is to implement the most pragmatic policy. Replacing a failed marijuana prohibition with a regulated marijuana market eliminates the violence and public cost of prohibition and replaces those ills with new, well paying jobs and great heaps of tax revenue which can be invested in vital public works like education is pragmatic.

There are two central issues: 1) recognizing that prohibition is failed and why, and 2) what is the best way to handle marijuana post-prohibition. Unless some magical new method of handling prohibition is discovered, that's reality.

Aedes

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 11:17 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;60243 wrote:
would you actually like to address my point that by legalizing marijuana law enforcement would have greater resources to combat far more serious dangers to society, like homicide?
Well, I'm not so sure about that one. The entities that fund and regulate police work against marijuana (federal, incl the DEA) are not the entirely same as those that fund homicide divisions (state and local), though of course there is some overlap.

Any abundance of funds produced by legalizing marijuana would almost certainly not go directly to some other needed entity. It's just not the way that money flows. It might be returned to a general tax pool. It might stay within drug enforcement for 'harder' drugs. It might increase salary and benefits of law enforcement officers without increasing capacity.

EmperorNero

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 11:43 am
@Aedes,
Nosada;60237 wrote:
showing the United States has clearly prohibited the wrong substance.

That might be true, but what other substances are legal is irrelevant to this one.

Aedes;60240 wrote:

If marijuana has risk of harm and addiction, but also can be medically beneficial, then its therapeutic use can be legalized but its recreational use kept illegal.

Exactly, which means that the medical argument is not an argument for legalization of recreational use.

Aedes

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 11:48 am
@The Dude phil phil,
Yes, I agree with that.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 12:00 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
Well, I'm not so sure about that one. The entities that fund and regulate police work against marijuana (federal, incl the DEA) are not the entirely same as those that fund homicide divisions (state and local), though of course there is some overlap.

Homicide being just one example. If X amount of dollars are currently tagged for spending to combat marijuana, and then the law changes such that no more funding is needed to combat marijuana, somewhere a surplus of X amount of dollars will surface and be used to some end.

Aedes wrote:
Any abundance of funds produced by legalizing marijuana would almost certainly not go directly to some other needed entity. It's just not the way that money flows. It might be returned to a general tax pool. It might stay within drug enforcement for 'harder' drugs. It might increase salary and benefits of law enforcement officers without increasing capacity.

Sure, but that's not the point. The point is that an immense amount of money is spent every year on a prohibition program that seems to have no success which also seems to cause serious social problems - if this failed and dangerous prohibition were lifted, the money once spent on the prohibition could be spent elsewhere. God knows where else the money would be spent, regardless there is a savings.

EmperorNero

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 12:04 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Sorry for the standard of my post in this thread falling.
I'm tired of this debate. The arguments just don't follw, thay just dont.

While I think there is certainly an argument along the lines of what the government should and should not regulate, to claim that the only valid argument is the right to self harm is nonsense. A valid argument is any argument with a conclusion that follows logically from the premises.

Sure. But the argument does not just have to support a conclusion, it has to support the conclusion that you make it for, and all the other arguments don't meet that requirement. Or they are wrong.

Now, would you actually like to address my point that by legalizing marijuana law enforcement would have greater resources to combat far more serious dangers to society, like homicide?

Fine, it would. Now what? Abolishing any law would save the resources of enforcing it.

And we should make burning fossil fuels good for the environment, and end world hunger. After nearly one hundred years of failed and costly prohibition we have to recognize the fact that prohibition does not work.

But I am glad to see that you already know that prohibition has failed us thus far.

I accept it for the sake of the argument - for now.

Still that does not support your premise. It just doesn't.

Reasserting that prohibition should be enforced (which is odd in the first place because prohibition is enforced, which costs taxpayers billions of dollars each year without doing anything to stem the tide of marijuana production and consumption)

No it's not.

in no way addresses the unnecessary and violent criminal syndicate created by prohibition nor the immense amount of potential tax revenue and jobs to be gained by legalization.

I don't have to. I disputed your argument. I can sit back and enjoy not having the burden of proof.

And let us say that we did, by some magical means, perfectly enforce prohibition - over night tens of millions of Americans would be locked up. It simply isn't possible. We do not have the jail space, enough officers, and the damage to productivity would wreck the economy.

Relativism. I'm tired of this. Lets just agree to disagree.
You believe whatever you want to believe.

I bring up the undeniable fact that marijuana prohibition creates a climate of violence that threatens American citizens and you say the issue is "nothing"? I think people lives have, you know, value.

Maybe it's undeniable. But it does not support the conclusion.

In of itself, this is not enough for legalization to be a good solution, instead this particular anecdote, along with the others, adds credibility to the overall argument that marijuana prohibition is not a pragmatic solution to the problem of marijuana use.

A giant border fence will not stop the violence. And we are trying to enforce the rule of law and failing miserably. That's the point: prohibition cannot handle the resulting criminal market. Prohibition causes a problem that cannot be solved by law enforcement, but can be solved by the end of prohibition.

Which is what I'm telling you all the time. You would make the argument that your change is for the better.

Except that you incorrectly assume that an end to prohibition will cause an increase in the incidents of marijuana related accidents and marijuana use. Over 40% of Americans have tried marijuana at least once, whereas less than 20% of the Dutch have tried marijuana - and the Dutch have a regulated marijuana market. The secret? The Netherlands made pot boring.

See, now you are arguing that your change will be for the better. And I agree. If that is true, I don't know.

And what is the "positive side" of a marijuana policy that has completely failed in every regard for nearly a century, that costs an exorbitant amount of money and creates more serious problems than it addresses?

The point is that you can't only count the negatives on one side and only the positives of the other.
The government apparatus keeping the useless prohibition intact is stimulus as well.

Except that around a third of the nation is not a murderer at least once a month. The whole point of public policy is to implement the most pragmatic policy. Replacing a failed marijuana prohibition with a regulated marijuana market eliminates the violence and public cost of prohibition and replaces those ills with new, well paying jobs and great heaps of tax revenue which can be invested in vital public works like education is pragmatic.

No, it's not. There isn't a homicide rate at which point we should abolish criminalization of it.

There are two central issues: 1) recognizing that prohibition is failed and why, and 2) what is the best way to handle marijuana post-prohibition. Unless some magical new method of handling prohibition is discovered, that's reality.

Not, really. It's 1) There is a problem 2) How to best reduce that problem

gojo1978

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 12:30 pm
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero wrote:
The medical argument is not an argument for legalization of recreational use.

Just out of curiosity, what, as far as YOU personally are concerned, are the valid arguments for the continuing criminalisation of marijuana (for recreational use)? Why do you think there is a problem with that?

Aedes

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 12:49 pm
@The Dude phil phil,
Gojo,

For what its worth in my opinion there is sufficient evidence of medical harm from marijuana use to restrict its use. If you uphold that medical standard, one asks why tobacco remains legal given how much more harmful it is. But we're not talking about tobacco, we're talking about the merits and demerits of marijuana's legality. At any rate, tobacco has been a major crop here for hundreds of years and you cant just ban it -- whole state economies have depended on it. Beside, in the USA tobacco is being squeezed out of existence anyway, which is politically a lot easier than a ban.

EmperorNero

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 12:53 pm
@gojo1978,
gojo1978;60268 wrote:
Just out of curiosity, what, as far as YOU personally are concerned, are the valid arguments for the continuing criminalisation of marijuana (for recreational use)?

There are no sufficient arguments for the alternative.

gojo1978

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 01:23 pm
@EmperorNero,
gojo1978 wrote:
Just out of curiosity, what, as far as YOU personally are concerned, are the valid arguments for the continuing criminalisation of marijuana (for recreational use)? Why do you think there is a problem with that?

EmperorNero wrote:

Why did I even bother?

That's not an answer.

And furthermore, it indicates that, if you have no further reasoning to add to that, there is also no sufficient argument for its illegal status.

So, working on that basis, which is that you have no sufficient argument for its illegality, I ask you, WHY should it be illegal in the first place?

Your refusal to answer the cases of myself and several others is really casting you in the light of a political dogmatist.

EmperorNero

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 01:30 pm
@gojo1978,
gojo1978;60273 wrote:
Why did I even bother?

That's not an answer.

And furthermore, it indicates that, if you have no further reasoning to add to that, there is also no sufficient argument for its illegal status.

So, working on that basis, which is that you have no sufficient argument for its illegality, I ask you, WHY should it be illegal in the first place?

Your refusal to answer the cases of myself and several others is really casting you in the light of a political dogmatist.

I don't have to. I don't have the burden of proof. I don't want a change.
All I have to say is that the arguments for the alternatives are wrong.

gojo1978

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 01:33 pm
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero wrote:
I don't have to. I don't have the burden of proof. I don't want a change.

You have no case.

Are you looking to become a politician by any chance? Your refusal to answer questions with any kind of forthrightness points towards it. You have no case, so you just keep hiding behind this "burden of proof" crap. No, you don't HAVE to... we're asking you to. Give us laymen the benefit of your obviously unimpeachable wisdom. It's a philosophy forum. What you are doing is not philosophising. Why are you here?

EmperorNero

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 01:42 pm
@gojo1978,
gojo1978;60275 wrote:
You have no case.

Are you looking to become a politician by any chance? Your refusal to answer questions with any kind of forthrightness points towards it. You have no case, so you just keep hiding behind this "burden of proof" crap. No, you don't HAVE to... we're asking you to. Give us laymen the benefit of your obviously unimpeachable wisdom. It's a philosophy forum. What you are doing is not philosophising. Why are you here?

If you want to hear my opinion, I don't really care if marijuana gets legalized.
As long as the rule of law isn't circumvented to do so.

gojo1978

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 01:46 pm
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero wrote:
If you want to hear my opinion, I don't really care if marijuana gets legalized.
As long as the rule of law isn't circumvented to do so.

Okay... We're moving now. :a-ok:

If you don't care, can we then take it that you concede that, setting aside the "I don't want a change" line, there are no good reasons for marijuana to have ever been illegal?

Aedes

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 01:56 pm
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero;60272 wrote:
I'm not sure that "sufficiency" can be measured by a standard in either direction. If our job is to 1) attend to public health, 2) apply limited law enforcement resources rationally, 3) not unduly restrict something that may be of medical benefit, and 4) manage marijuana policy similarly to other psychoactive substances that are not wholly banned, then neither extreme seems rational.

It seems to make the most sense to have it sold legally, restrict its purchase to people 21 years and older (mainly to prevent people from starting to smoke pot at the same time they're starting to drive with an unrestricted license), allow FDA-approved therapeutic indications, avoid prosecution of people who grow it for their own use, restrict public smoking in certain ways, and not allow commercial sale except as licensed. That would seem to solve a lot of problems.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/07/2024 at 06:38:19