Recreational use of drugs (legal and illegal)

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Didymos Thomas

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2009 09:09 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:
To tell you the truth, where I'm from at least, people do marijuana so frequently, it's practically legal. I've literally seen cops just walk by and laugh after seeing people light up a blunt, as they don't feel like being fussed writing up a group of teenagers.

That's Memphis, too. Maybe it was just because we were white kids standing outside an upscale townhouse and not causing any trouble, but the police would roll by at 3 miles an hour, clearly see us burning down, and do nothing but roll on (FYI: I was the group non-smoker). It's just not worth the trouble in a city with real crime. Most cities, however, are not so reasonable. I've seen police walk through houses in other towns and ignore the marijuana and marijuana paraphernalia littered about - it's in the home and takes way too much paper work. It's all about where you are. I've also had friend spend nights in jail and months on probation for possession of meaningless amounts of marijuana. It's all about where you are and which officer notices the offense.

Zetherin wrote:
And strangely, the consumption of alcohol, while not being illegal, is more readily enforced. I'm not sure if I'm in the minority here in experiencing this (Philadelphia).

From my experience, which doesn't mean much, police love to enforce alcohol laws. Catch a bar serving minors and a big fine is on the way. Busting bar owner's chops just pays better than petty marijuana offenses. Then again, get caught with an ounce or more and few police (outside of spceial states like Colorado) are going to let you off.

Zetherin wrote:
Nonetheless, DT, yes, I don't think anyone can contest alcohol is worse (or has more potential to be worse) for the body.

Of course, it all comes down to frequency and magnitude of use, but, yeah, I do not think many people see marijuana as the more harmful drug.

Maybe our resident medicine man could give some relevant health information.

Zetherin

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2009 09:18 pm
@The Dude phil phil,
To be honest, I'm not exactly sure what the long-term negative affects of marijuana use are (used not in moderation, I mean). I've certainly heard of the, "You will lose brain cells" skit, but I've never been verified of it's credibility.

Aedes

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2009 09:21 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;60076 wrote:
The current prohibition just does not make any sense.
The prohibition is cultural in origin. No one has ever argued that the laws are because of relative danger.

Alcohol also has dramatic health benefits in certain conditions, in addition to being a part of cuisine since antiquity.

So I think making these comparisons of one drug to another is a waste of time. Things should be legal or illegal on their own merits, not because of how drug A compares to drug B. Marijuana is NOT 100% safe. Neither are donuts. But laws are neither moral nor rational, and we shouldn't expect them to be. They're the results of votes and compromises.

Nosada

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2009 10:18 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
Alcohol also has dramatic health benefits in certain conditions, in addition to being a part of cuisine since antiquity.

Don't neglect the benefits of medicinal marijuana, for they far outweigh any benefits found in alcohol.

"Naturally," there's the multitude of products which are currently or previously were derived from hemp... But that would take us further off topic and would warrant an entirely new thread.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2009 10:37 pm
@Nosada,
To be fair, Aedes, there were newspaper articles and speeches made that categorically lumped marijuana and cocaine together as drugs that cause certain marginalized racial groups to go wild and do terrible things. But, yes, the typical rationale for prohibition today has nothing to do with relative danger.

And from what I can tell, marijuana has been, to a lesser extent than alcohol, a part of cuisine since antiquity - just not in European cuisine.

I am curious about medical marijuana. Some 80% of Americans support the notion, and apparently there are a good number of doctors who prescribe the plant. I think we would all like to see more research, but given the information we have, what are your thoughts on the subject?

EmperorNero

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 04:32 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;60065 wrote:
Both marijuana and alcohol typically serve the same purposes - a way to become intoxicated and something around which to socialize. One is easily substituted for the other.

Alcohol doesn't matter to marijuana legalization.

Didymos Thomas;60065 wrote:
Interesting assertion, but you have neglected to provide a reason or even a response to my argument that those who support prohibition do have some burden of proof to meet.

Because they don't.
If a side wants a change that is potentially for the harm of others,
it has the burden of proof to show that this change would be for the better.

And: http://www.politicalforum.com/drugs-alcohol-tobacco/63793-cannabis-123.html#post1114331

Zetherin;60087 wrote:
To tell you the truth, where I'm from at least, people do marijuana so frequently, it's practically legal.

The logical reasons to get marijuana legalized are not sufficient, so the way to go around that is just not following the law.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 05:11 am
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero wrote:

Because they don't.
If a side wants a change that is potentially for the harm of others,
it has the burden of proof to show that this change would be for the better.

Again, you make the assertion and ignore my arguments.

I agree that those promoting a change in marijuana laws do have a burden of proof to meet.

What I am arguing is that those who find the current laws to be appropriate and pragmatic must also meet a certain burden of proof. The state of the United States has changed dramatically since the first marijuana prohibition laws in the 1930's, and conditions in the United States have changed a great deal in the time since the Controlled Substances Act of 1970 was passed into law.

Anyone who suggests that the current laws are appropriate (as Federal laws regarding marijuana have gone without any fundamental change since the 1970 legislation) has the following burden of proof to meet: 1) they must show that the status quo, when introduced, was based on solid evidence, and 2) that the past justifications, if true in the past, remain true today.

To say that people supporting the current prohibition have absolutely no burden of proof to meet amounts to an appeal to tradition, which is, to say the least, not a convincing reason.

EmperorNero

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 05:33 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;60136 wrote:

I agree that those promoting a change in marijuana laws do have a burden of proof to meet.

What I am arguing is that those who find the current laws to be appropriate and pragmatic must also meet a certain burden of proof. The state of the United States has changed dramatically since the first marijuana prohibition laws in the 1930's, and conditions in the United States have changed a great deal in the time since the Controlled Substances Act of 1970 was passed into law.

Anyone who suggests that the current laws are appropriate (as Federal laws regarding marijuana have gone without any fundamental change since the 1970 legislation) has the following burden of proof to meet: 1) they must show that the status quo, when introduced, was based on solid evidence, and 2) that the past justifications, if true in the past, remain true today.

To say that people supporting the current prohibition have absolutely no burden of proof to meet amounts to an appeal to tradition, which is, to say the least, not a convincing reason.

I ignore your arguments because they don't have an implication on this debate.
If someone wants to legalize a potentially harmful substance, the burden of proof, that this would not be harmful, is on him.
Saying: "You have to prove that there is no reason for keeping it legal" is not enough.
It is their burden of proof to establish why [in the conditional future] legalization would benefit the nation. They're the ones who appear to want the law changed from the way it is now. We don't.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 05:39 am
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero wrote:

If someone wants to legalize a potentially harmful substance, the burden of proof, that this would not be harmful, is on him.

And I have repeatedly agreed with you on the point that those in favor of change have a burden of proof to meet.

EmperorNero wrote:
Saying: "You have to prove that there is no reason for keeping it legal" is not enough.

Which is not at all what I have said. Instead, I have argued that both parties, those in favor of change and those in favor of tradition, have to meet some burden of proof.

EmperorNero wrote:
It is their burden of proof to establish why [in the conditional future] legalization would benefit the nation. They're the ones who appear to want the law changed from the way it is now. We don't.

Right - and, in reference to my previous arguments, those who do not want to change the laws have to meet two burdens of proof or else they commit the fallacy of appeal to authority.

EmperorNero

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 05:49 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;60142 wrote:
Which is not at all what I have said. Instead, I have argued that both parties, those in favor of change and those in favor of tradition, have to meet some burden of proof.

They don't. Unless you can show that they have "some" burden of proof.
Which has to be accepted, before you can base arguments on it.

Didymos Thomas;60142 wrote:
Right - and, in reference to my previous arguments, those who do not want to change the laws have to meet two burdens of proof or else they commit the fallacy of appeal to authority.

I don't want to be rude, but both the fallacies you mentioned are something different.
An appeal to tradition would be if a side argues that it should be that way, because it is that way As opposed to it not having to make any arguments.
An appeal to authority would be if a side argues that we are right, because x says so.

gojo1978

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 05:54 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:

That seems to be what he does.

Forget about this and move on is my advice. :a-ok:

EmperorNero

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 06:18 am
@gojo1978,
gojo1978;60145 wrote:
That seems to be what he does.

Forget about this and move on is my advice. :a-ok:

First you hijack the thread with non-arguments, and then you bail. And then you accuse others of not having good arguments.

gojo1978

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 06:33 am
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero wrote:
First you hijack the thread with non-arguments, and then you bail. And then you accuse others of not having good arguments.

Where? I must have missed that.

In fact, the only person I've seen on this thread making such accusations is you.

EmperorNero wrote:
Politically, I believe there is good reason to keep drugs - as marijuana - illegal. The individual right to self harm is in my opinion the only argument against that, but I calculate the negative effects on society, such as danger and lost productivity, as too extensive.

As for me, I have little experience with drugs, and actually no experience with illegal drugs. But I drink alcohol and I realize that is somewhat hypocritical, but I think being all-or-nothing is not discipline.

A person has little to gain from taking drugs, except for feeling good, so there is no good reason to do so. And it will only shift your happiness to another time, you never gain an overall increase in happiness. All the other positive effects, such as increased creativity, are in my estimation excuses.

Audacity is the word that springs to mind. Firstly, the emboldened text above shows the point where YOU INTRODUCED the issue of marijuana being illegal.

Then, after freely admitting you have no experience with illegal drugs, you go on to inform us all that our arguments are crap, and how there is no good reason to take drugs and they have little to gain from it and it will only "shift their happiness to another time" (? ? ?)

Exactly how do you know this, o oracle? You have, by your own admission, no knowledge of the thing you are talking about.

And then you slate the arguments of others. :eek:

Okaaaaaaaaaay........... :Not-Impressed:

Didymos Thomas

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 06:36 am
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero wrote:

They don't. Unless you can show that they have "some" burden of proof.
Which has to be accepted, before you can base arguments on it.

I've been demonstrating that they have some burden of proof to meet for several posts now - and you simply ignore my demonstrations.

EmperorNero wrote:
I don't want to be rude, but both the fallacies you mentioned are something different.
An appeal to tradition would be if a side argues that it should be that way, because it is that way As opposed to it not having to make any arguments.
An appeal to authority would be if a side argues that we are right, because x says so.

And I do not want to be rude, either, but you are incorrect.

Appeal to tradition - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I never brought up an appeal to authority. The two burdens of proof upon those who would have the laws remain as are stem from the need of said party to avoid an appeal to tradition. By saying that said party need not make an argument, you force that party to rest on tradition as justification, which is insufficient justification.

EmperorNero

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 06:47 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;60170 wrote:
I've been demonstrating that they have some burden of proof to meet for several posts now

Well, you're wrong, they don't. You can make an argument that they do, but so far you did not.

I never brought up an appeal to authority.

You did here (just at the end). If that was a typo, that's ok.

The two burdens of proof upon those who would have the laws remain as are stem from the need of said party to avoid an appeal to tradition. By saying that said party need not make an argument, you force that party to rest on tradition as justification, which is insufficient justification.

The thing is that the party that doesn't want to achieve a change doesn't have to make an argument. So there is no appeal to anything made, as those are arguments.

Aedes

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 07:11 am
@Nosada,
Nosada;60106 wrote:
Don't neglect the benefits of medicinal marijuana, for they far outweigh any benefits found in alcohol.
Not even close. In some studies moderate alcohol intake has been shown to reduce the mortality rate from coronary artery disease by 40%. Given that that is the leading cause of death in the developed world, if if were feasible to apply this as a public health measure it would save hundreds of thousands of lives annually.

I'd be interested to see a single study that shows marijuana confers a mortality benefit for any condition.

EmperorNero

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 07:15 am
@Aedes,
Aedes;60188 wrote:
Not even close. In some studies moderate alcohol intake has been shown to reduce the mortality rate from coronary artery disease by 40%. Given that that is the leading cause of death in the developed world, if if were feasible to apply this as a public health measure it would save hundreds of thousands of lives annually.

I'd be interested to see a single study that shows marijuana confers a mortality benefit for any condition.

You are right. But what does it matter to marijuana legalization?
Marijuana does not have to be legal for recreational use to be used as medicine.
Does penicillin have to be legal for recreational use to be used as medicine?
It's another non-argument. It's just words.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 07:31 am
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero wrote:
Well, you're wrong, they don't. You can make an argument that they do, but so far you did not.

Okay - I'm just wrong? No sense even replying to my arguments because it is better to just ignore them?

I've made arguments that people who do not support any change in marijuana laws have some burden of proof, and you have stated over and over again that I am wrong without ever touching a single argument I've made on the matter.

EmperorNero wrote:
You did here (just at the end). If that was a typo, that's ok.

You're right! Thanks. Next time you can just tell me the post number instead of going through the hassle of making a link.

EmperorNero wrote:
The thing is that the party that doesn't want to achieve a change doesn't have to make an argument. So there is no appeal to anything made, as those are arguments.

The statement "the party that doesn't want to achieve a change doesn't have to make an argument" is not an argument.

Simply by disagreeing with those who want a change in public policy, when those who want a change come with arguments, those who want to keep the policy as is have a burden of proof. In response to an argument for public policy change those hearing the change must have some reply with more substance than "oh, no, we don't want the change, so no change!" That's completely arbitrary. Instead, such conservatives should either manage a dispute of the liberal arguments or meet the two burdens of proof I mentioned. If not, their stance rests solely on an appeal to authority: it is what it is and cannot change because it happens to be that way right now.

EmperorNero wrote:
You are right. But what does it matter to marijuana legalization?
Marijuana does not have to be legal for recreational use to be used as medicine.
Does penicillin have to be legal for recreational use to be used as medicine?
It's another non-argument. It's just words.

Allowing for medical marijuana would be a dramatic change in Federal drug policy.

EmperorNero

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 08:11 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;60194 wrote:
Okay - I'm just wrong? No sense even replying to my arguments because it is better to just ignore them?

I've made arguments that people who do not support any change in marijuana laws have some burden of proof, and you have stated over and over again that I am wrong without ever touching a single argument I've made on the matter.

Sorry, if you state that the capital of France is London, what do you want me to say except that you are wrong?

The statement "the party that doesn't want to achieve a change doesn't have to make an argument" is not an argument.

Exactly. : )
That's the point, they dont need to make arguments.

Simply by disagreeing with those who want a change in public policy, when those who want a change come with arguments, those who want to keep the policy as is have a burden of proof. In response to an argument for public policy change those hearing the change must have some reply with more substance than "oh, no, we don't want the change, so no change!" That's completely arbitrary. Instead, such conservatives should either manage a dispute of the liberal arguments or meet the two burdens of proof I mentioned. If not, their stance rests solely on an appeal to authority: it is what it is and cannot change because it happens to be that way right now.

If you are saying that any change can be justified by there not being enough arguments to legitimize the current situation, you're opening a whole can of worms. That's not how it works. For example the decriminalization of homicide is not justified by lack of arguments for criminalization. What if there were nobody advocating the status quo. That justifies decriminalization? That is rather an appeal to authority.

Allowing for medical marijuana would be a dramatic change in Federal drug policy.

Sure. Which is another argument. I think heroin and opium are basically the same as many pain medicines. I don't think legalizing recreational use of any substance has much to do with it's potential for medical use.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 08:37 am
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero wrote:
Sorry, if you state that the capital of France is London, what do you want me to say except that you are wrong?

That's all you would need to do. However, if I state that the capital of France is London and then produce an argument I honestly find to be convincing, you respond by should pull out a world map or something to correct my mistake.

EmperorNero wrote:
Exactly. : )
That's the point, they dont need to make arguments.

They do not even need to explain why they do not need to make an argument to support their position? And this practice of unsubstantiated assertions working with the sole justification that an assertion is right because the assertion is current policy is somehow not an appeal to tradition?

EmperorNero wrote:
If you are saying that any change can be justified by there not being enough arguments to legitimize the current situation, you're opening a whole can of worms.

No, that's not what I am saying. I am saying that if a change is supported by thoughtful argument that detractors of the change have a responsibility to answer those thoughtful arguments.

EmperorNero wrote:
Sure. Which is another argument. I think heroin and opium are basically the same as many pain medicines. I don't think legalizing recreational use of any substance has much to do with it's potential for medical use.

And what, other than your agreement or disagreement with the argument, is different about legalizing medical use as opposed to recreational use from the standpoint of burden of proof?

With the legalization of recreational use, you maintain that conservatives need not make any argument in response to the liberal case. Should the conservatives follow the same principle you defend and refuse to hear arguments in favor of medical marijuana?

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/07/2024 at 01:57:13