Discovering God

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

OctoberMist

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2008 04:27 pm
@William,
William said:

Quote:

Thank you for bringing that to my attention. Sometime's I fail to realize others in that their belief's may differ from mine. You see my friend, from my experience's in life I have come to determine these are not just "my opinions", but are a truth that cannot be grasped by most and it is only courtesy that I iterate them to be "my belief's".

I understand where you are coming from. However, I would say that everyone, eg. each individual person, has their own conception of what God is (or isn't) and [in the course of philosophical discussion] must be able to express them as such without external madates.

Quote:

I was where you are once, but have traveled a little farther down the road, as you will too.

Pehaps. Smile

Or perhaps not. Smile

Quote:

Please forgive my assertiveness when it appears. I, more than most, realize such revelations that have occurred in my life will occur in others when they are ready for it. I just try very hard to help them understand the faith that is needed for such a revelation to occur.

William I think I understand your metholology and appreciate it's intentions, however to quote Karl Marx: "The road to tell is paved with good intentions." -- Not to be too harsh, but I feel that we (you and I and others who believe in God) must be patient and allow others who do not believe to make their own decisions and take their time.

If we impose absolutes on the process of reasoning about God, I feel we are doing others a disservice in not allowing them the time (or flexibility of definition) to make their own conclusion.

OctoberMist

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2008 04:35 pm
@xris,
xris said:

Quote:

Illuminate me please how is your god different to the accepted god of the bible?

First off, let me say that there are many different conceptions of God besides that which is portrayed in the Bible.

Second, let me say that even if one accepts the Bible as 'truth', there are still hundred of different interpretations of God and God's directives. For example, the Wesleyans disagree with the Episcopalians; the Epicopalians disagree with the Charismatics; the Charismatics disagree with the Nazarenes; the Nazarenes disagree with the Evangelicals; the Evangelicals disagree with the Presbyterians, the Presbyterians disagree with the Catholics, etc, etc.

Personally, I believe God loves ALL humans, reguardless of politics, social order, sexual orientation, age, race, religion / philosophy, geopolitical origin,
gender, and history.

I believe that God loves everyone and, moreover, accepts everyone.

I believe that God is capable of providing subtle guidance in every situation.

I do not accept that any one religion holds the exclusive rights to the nature or concept of God.

Joshy phil

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2008 04:45 pm
@xris,
I know that the conversation has moved on a bit, but I wanted to look back and comment on this post:
xris wrote:
So you are not defending god your reinventing him..is that true?

I find several things about what you are indicating interesting, xris:

• The Defence of God - I believe that God does not actually need defending, even from his devout followers. This is not because he is benevolent or omnipotent, but rather because humans have free will. If God truly did create us, then he purposefully gave us the will to choose what we want to; to believe what we want to, even in terms of faith.
  • The Invention of God - Was God invented? It is true, to an extent, that religion was invented, but not faith. And God himself, well, if he does exist, then he would exist whether or not people believed in him; whether or not people even knew about him. In others words, if people hadn't 'invented' him, he would still exist.
  • The Reinvention of God - If you class the role of God in modern religion as the 'invention' of him, then a 'reinvention' isn't exactly a bad thing. As other have already mentioned, the God that people often refer to through religion, is most likely nothing like the real God. However, in these circumstances, a reinvention is classed as looking at God as different to what is described in religion. In my opinion, this isn't a bad thing, as nearly everybody has their own view on what God really is; what God means to them, if anything at all.

Now, once again I'm speaking from the point of view of somebody who has taken a step back from religion, in an attempt to see it as a whole.
God, as far as I can tell, isn't actually in religion. If you think about it, having a faith is fine, but not all religions can be right, if any at all. What are the chances of getting a religion that has every concept perfect?

William

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2008 05:34 pm
@Khethil,
Khethil wrote:
William,

I've read this, and the previous posts a couple of times. Being a on-the-sidelines fan of different flavors of theism I enjoy reading such interchanges (it imbues just a *wee* bit more understanding of how the theistic mind operates).

But I gotta tell you; this statement is quite amazing. I'd like to be the first to congratulate you on having the truth. Would you mind gracing us with what that is please? I understand you think this something others can't grasp, but I'd really like to hear it.

This is not a sarcastic jab; it's an honest request.

Thanks

This will not be easy in that I am not accustom to talking about my life. Give me a couple of days. Let me see what I can do. I'll get back with you. Please, I am not dodging your question, just trying to figure out how to do it so you won't think I am totally nuts. Ha. :perplexed:

Xris, this will answer your queston, too.

William

manored

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 11:00 am
@Solace,
Solace wrote:
And this is the humblest post in this thread, because at least it's honest in its frankness.

As for those claiming spiritual enlightment, consider for a moment what you say of yourselves. You tout humility, but the first word out of your mouths concerning your spiritualality is "I". "I searched..." "I accepted..." "I surrendered..." "I gave myself..." and then God revealed himself to you. As if your own will has any control over the divine! You're no closer to understanding God than the fellow who keeps saying "We are all God" or "We are all a part of God". This one cannot accept that there is anything in the universe that is greater than he is, so he puts himself on the same level as God.

Christ understood far more of God than all of you combined, and all he ever said was that God was his father. To be subject to, under the protection of, and accountable to. Not to be in command of or equal to. It was enough for Christ to call God father, but not enough for you? What gall! Do the world a favor and keep your spiritual revelations to yourselves; at least that way only you are deluded by your own ego.
I am the only thing for whose existence I hold proof, and the only eyes through wich I can witness the world, being therefore the most important thing for myself. Why should then I give over control of me to someone else? Why there must be something greater? Only being foolishly negativist would I see myself as low enough to need a god.

Also, its kinda funny you think that if I tell someone "ok, ok, i will open the door" it means I am mind controlling that person into coming in.

xris

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 01:02 pm
@OctoberMist,
OctoberMist wrote:
xris said:

First off, let me say that there are many different conceptions of God besides that which is portrayed in the Bible.

Second, let me say that even if one accepts the Bible as 'truth', there are still hundred of different interpretations of God and God's directives. For example, the Wesleyans disagree with the Episcopalians; the Epicopalians disagree with the Charismatics; the Charismatics disagree with the Nazarenes; the Nazarenes disagree with the Evangelicals; the Evangelicals disagree with the Presbyterians, the Presbyterians disagree with the Catholics, etc, etc.

Personally, I believe God loves ALL humans, reguardless of politics, social order, sexual orientation, age, race, religion / philosophy, geopolitical origin,
gender, and history.

I believe that God loves everyone and, moreover, accepts everyone.

I believe that God is capable of providing subtle guidance in every situation.

I do not accept that any one religion holds the exclusive rights to the nature or concept of God.
please stop waffling and describe him? please..

xris

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 01:04 pm
@Joshy phil,
Joshy wrote:
I know that the conversation has moved on a bit, but I wanted to look back and comment on this post:

I find several things about what you are indicating interesting, xris:

• The Defence of God - I believe that God does not actually need defending, even from his devout followers. This is not because he is benevolent or omnipotent, but rather because humans have free will. If God truly did create us, then he purposefully gave us the will to choose what we want to; to believe what we want to, even in terms of faith.
  • The Invention of God - Was God invented? It is true, to an extent, that religion was invented, but not faith. And God himself, well, if he does exist, then he would exist whether or not people believed in him; whether or not people even knew about him. In others words, if people hadn't 'invented' him, he would still exist.
  • The Reinvention of God - If you class the role of God in modern religion as the 'invention' of him, then a 'reinvention' isn't exactly a bad thing. As other have already mentioned, the God that people often refer to through religion, is most likely nothing like the real God. However, in these circumstances, a reinvention is classed as looking at God as different to what is described in religion. In my opinion, this isn't a bad thing, as nearly everybody has their own view on what God really is; what God means to them, if anything at all.
Now, once again I'm speaking from the point of view of somebody who has taken a step back from religion, in an attempt to see it as a whole.
God, as far as I can tell, isn't actually in religion. If you think about it, having a faith is fine, but not all religions can be right, if any at all. What are the chances of getting a religion that has every concept perfect?
However you choose to believe the same fundamental questions remain..

OctoberMist

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 01:10 pm
@manored,
manored said:

Quote:

I can see we disagree in a fundamental point then, because I believe that if there is a god we are one with him, and that people who had revelations created their own god because they asked and their inner, "godly self" responded. But like I said everone has a diferent idea of god, so there is no really point in discussing this Smile

I think you're right: we simply have a different interpretation of the nature of God. And I also agree that there's no sense in arguing over it. I respect your interpretation. Smile

OctoberMist

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 01:17 pm
@xris,
xris said:

Quote:

please stop waffling and describe him? please..

LOL - "Waffling"??

To answer your question, I have no idea what God is. If I absolutely had to give a definition based on my extremely limited understanding, I would define God in this way:

A noncorporeal entity, perhaps composed on energy, that existed simeltaneously with humanity and seeks to promote altruism and mutual cooperation between humans through subjective teachings of love, humility, patience, and acceptance, though in a non-direct manner such as influencing thought patterns among individuals within the bounds of free thought.

Note: I am not claiming that this is an absolute definition by any stretch of the imagination. It is only my subjective interpretation at this time.

Does that help?

xris

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 01:20 pm
@OctoberMist,
OctoberMist wrote:
manored said:

I think you're right: we simply have a different interpretation of the nature of God. And I also agree that there's no sense in arguing over it. I respect your interpretation. Smile
Its not arguing its questioning a statement of fact by asking for details of thes gods that inhabit this forum...I know what the accepted gods do and say but these reinvented gods are so flippant so undescribed..

xris

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 01:24 pm
@OctoberMist,
OctoberMist wrote:
xris said:

LOL - "Waffling"??

To answer your question, I have no idea what God is. If I absolutely had to give a definition based on my extremely limited understanding, I would define God in this way:

A noncorporeal entity, perhaps composed on energy, that existed simeltaneously with humanity and seeks to promote altruism and mutual cooperation between humans through subjective teachings of love, humility, patience, and acceptance, though in a non-direct manner such as influencing thought patterns among individuals within the bounds of free thought.

Note: I am not claiming that this is an absolute definition by any stretch of the imagination. It is only my subjective interpretation at this time.

Does that help?
No it does not help..not at all..its the same god but modified so the questions can be avoided..I can ask a question and you can say im not sure but i just know he is wonderful.. Ill ask one question why did he create us? was it for his benefit or ours?

Icon

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 01:26 pm
@xris,
xris wrote:
No it does not help..not at all..its the same god but modified so the questions can be avoided..I can ask a question and you can say im not sure but i just know he is wonderful.. Ill ask one question why did he create us? was it for his benefit or ours?

His. if we didn't exist then we didnt benefit.

xris

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 01:34 pm
@Icon,
Icon wrote:
His. if we didn't exist then we didnt benefit.
No not good enough that answer wont suffice...his benefit or ours?? simple question..

Icon

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 01:38 pm
@OctoberMist,
You, of all people, should that there is no such thing as a simple question.

It was for his benefit. It HAS to be for his benefit. If there was no "us" then there is no way that we would benefit from being created. If we were never to be then we would not be discontent or even have needs/wants.

Joshy phil

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 01:44 pm
@xris,
xris wrote:

Can I just ask what you're expecting to hear as an answer? You appear discontent with what answers and ideas have been put forwards so far, so you must have something you're waiting for; something you want someone to say...

As Icon has just explained, the immediate creation of humans couldn't have been for our benefit, because when God decided to make us we didn't exist; we were only a concept.
However, human life ocntinues for our sake. God used his powers to give us something amazing: the power to love and care and be passionate and enjoy life. True, times are getting increasingly troubling, but we, as a race, are completely to blame. Why? Because we threw away the chances we were given, if you are to believe the Bible stories. Imagine how God must feel, creating something as intriguing and marvellous as the human race, only to watch us bring it to ruins. What a waste, hey?

xris

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 02:00 pm
@Joshy phil,
Expecting an answer to question thats what i expect...God made us for his benefit i assume is the answer..it requires another question.. why did he make us for his benefit?

OctoberMist

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 02:07 pm
@xris,
xris said:

Quote:

Its not arguing its questioning a statement of fact by asking for details of thes gods that inhabit this forum...I know what the accepted gods do and say but these reinvented gods are so flippant so undescribed..

Eh? -- I have no what you're talking about here. Could you please elaborate?

OctoberMist

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 02:09 pm
@xris,
xris said:

Quote:

God made us for his benefit i assume is the answer..it requires another question.. why did he make us for his benefit?

Personally, I do not agree that God made us for it's benefit. I don't know that I even believe that God created us to begin with...

xris

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 02:11 pm
@OctoberMist,
OctoberMist wrote:
xris said:

Eh? -- I have no what you're talking about here. Could you please elaborate?
You answered that question ...but i will attempt to explain..There are so many different gods on this forum its hard to know which one im talking to at anyone time..they are vague not clear in their intent..

xris

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 02:13 pm
@OctoberMist,
OctoberMist wrote:
xris said:

Personally, I do not agree that God made us for it's benefit. I don't know that I even believe that God created us to begin with...
do understand what i mean...your god MIGHT not have... how vague is that?

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/14/2024 at 12:47:33