Pythagorean

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2007 09:46 am
@Arjen,
"esse est percipi" translated into english means: "To be is to be perceived."

Any guesses on who said it?

Arjen

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 05:25 am
@Arjen,
I am puzzled by this quote Pyth, but I am unsure of what question to ask. Let me start by this one: Is english the authors language?

Pythagorean

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 07:08 pm
@Arjen,
Arjen wrote:
I am puzzled by this quote Pyth, but I am unsure of what question to ask. Let me start by this one: Is english the authors language?

Yes, Arjen:) english; early modern.

Arjen

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2007 03:07 pm
@Arjen,
I have looked up some early modern english philosophers. The list isn't all that long (if th ephilosopher in question is well known that is). I am guessing John Locke, but only because he wrote an essay concerning human understanding. The quote would seem to fit in with that work.

Pythagorean

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2007 04:20 pm
@Arjen,
Arjen, 'to be is to be perceived' means that reality is wholly subjective. The philosopher in question proposed a theory of thorough going subjectivism in contradistintion to Locke's theory of ideas.

The subjectivist philosopher who challenged Locke with his own brand of empiricism was none other than: Bishop Berkeley!! I will say that both Locke and Berkeley are still popular.

Nice try anyway Arjen. Now that I've told you the answer it's your turn to mystifiy me with a mystery philosopher.

By the way how did your test on Neo-Platonism turn out?

Be well,
-Pyth

Arjen

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2007 02:03 am
@Pythagorean,
Pythagorean wrote:
Arjen, 'to be is to be perceived' means that reality is wholly subjective. The philosopher in question proposed a theory of thorough going subjectivism in contradistintion to Locke's theory of ideas.

Well, I was baffled by it. I did think of tis argument however, but the name I came up with was David Hume. He is a Scotsman, so it couldn't be him.
Quote:

The subjectivist philosopher who challenged Locke with his own brand of empiricism was none other than: Bishop Berkeley!! I will say that both Locke and Berkeley are still popular.

I am not familliar with mr Berkley's work. But at least now I have a frame of reference with him. Thank you.
Quote:

Nice try anyway Arjen. Now that I've told you the answer it's your turn to mystifiy me with a mystery philosopher.

quote important and well known philosophers and make the rest guess who said it. If you don't know, ask a question and the quote poster will have to answer. The one who guesses the name of the philosopher in question is next.

The rules:
- One person states a quote by a philosopher.
- People try to guess the name or ask questions.
- Nobody searches the internet for the quote (would be a spoiler).

Mystery Philosopher wrote:

Meaning just ain't in the head!

Pythagorean

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2007 09:17 pm
@Arjen,
That's quite a colourful quote! Very intriguing indeed.

Now, judging by the use of language I would have to surmise that this is a 20th Century philosopher, probably an Anglo. Which doesn't leave me with many choices.Sad

I'm going to go out on a limb here and take a wild guess and say Bertrand Russell, although I don't know why Russell would say those words.

So Bertrand Russell, my final answer. ?

--

Arjen

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 01:06 am
@Arjen,
It indeed is a philosopher of the 20th century, but not Bertrand Russel. The philosopher in question is (among others) active on the field of language philosophy.

Perhaps you need a few questions to determine who spoke (and is still speaking) these words.

Pythagorean

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 11:33 am
@Arjen,
AaHaa! He's a living philospher. O.K. Didn't expect that.

Language or analytical philosophy is one area where I am weak. I don't see how I could narrow it down since I've hardly read them.

I know only a few: I do know of Richard Dawkins, whose recent book "The God Delusion" is on the best seller list.

I know he is an analytical philosopher.

I'm gonna have to guess him. So is it the atheist and soul-less analytical anti-Christ Richard Dawkins? ?

Arjen

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 02:01 pm
@Arjen,
No. Shall we wait for others to join in the game or shall I just let you in on the secret?

Aristoddler

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 03:55 pm
@Arjen,
Hillary Putnam when speaking on the theory of Twin Earths said "meaning just ain't in the head!"

Others have quoted it in different context, but I believe it was Putnam who said it first.

Arjen

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 04:12 pm
@Arjen,
Bingo, we have a winner! Now it is your turn to puzzle us with a quote from a well known philosopher. And may I ask if you would post the rules along side the quote so everybody who reads the last quote will also know how to play?

Smile

Pythagorean

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 03:14 pm
@Arjen,
Aristoddler, you are 'it'.

It is now your turn to post a quote from a 'mystery philosopher' so that we may guess at who it is.

--?

Pythagorean

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 01:17 am
@Pythagorean,
Think I'll go again see if I can get this started back up.

quote important and well known philosophers and make the rest guess who said it. If you don't know, ask a question and the quote poster will have to answer. The one who guesses the name of the philosopher in question is next.

The rules:

Mystery Philosopher wrote:

Out of life's school of war, what does not kill me makes me stronger.

Guess who said it. (remember no looking it up on the inter-webs)Smile

Arjen

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 01:26 pm
@Arjen,

Pythagorean

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 02:43 pm
@Arjen,
You are correct, sir! [useless side-note: movie star Angeleena Jolie has this very quote by Nietzsche tatooed in latin on her arm! Bizzare? Yes. But true! She might be called the uber-wench?]

Congratulations, Arjen. Now it's your serve.Smile

Arjen

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 05:05 am
@Arjen,

The rules:

MystheryPhylosopher wrote:

By all means, marry. If you get a good wife, you'll become happy; if you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher.

Pythagorean

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2007 12:16 pm
@Arjen,
I might need some help on this one, Arjen. I know it must be 20th Century philosophy but beyond that I'm drawing a blank.

I'll take a wild guess and say its Bertrand Russell. ? (I was gonna say Dr. Sigmund Freud but I don't think he's technically a philsopher.)

Arjen

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2007 05:54 pm
@Arjen,
Tip 1) It is definately not a 20th century philosopher.
Tip 2) The original language of the quote and of the philosopher in question is Greek.

Pythagorean

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2007 03:49 pm
@Arjen,
Oh, Arjen, I think I know!

It's Epicurus the hedonist.

?

Smile

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 01:09:07