The great quotations topic.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » The great quotations topic.

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Arjen

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 12:12 pm
Hi everybody, I think it might be fun if we quote important and well known philosophers and make the rest guess who said it. If you don't know, ask a question and the quote poster will have to answer. The one who guesses the name of the philosopher in question is next.

The rules:
- One person states a quote by a philosopher.
- People try to guess the name or ask questions.
- Nobody searches the internet for the quote (would be a spoiler).

Allright, I'll start:

mystery philosopher wrote:

"The death of dogma is the birth of morality."

Pythagorean

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 02:22 pm
@Arjen,
Capital ideas you have Arjen!

All right, I'll play. But I have no clue as to which well known philosopher said this [and it's a great saying by the way].

So I would like to ask you my question Arjen...is there any particular field of philosophy that the mystery philosopher excelled at or is well known by? Out of the fields, ethics, political philosophy, epistemology, metaphysics, logic, aesthetics etc.

My intutition tells me that he's a modern so if I know what field I could narrow it down some.

Arjen

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 02:28 pm
@Pythagorean,
Well, you seem to be on the right track allready. He lived during the period known as "the enlightenment". One could say that his philosophies are what make the difference between modern and ancient philosophy.

To answer your question: metaphysics. Although he was definately active in other fields as well. He got particularly excited when dogma's were concerned. But in those days there were more who shared that sentiment.

Smile

Pythagorean

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 03:56 pm
@Arjen,
Arjen, when I first read the quote I thought Immanuel Kant. But then I said to myself that it couldn't be because Kant is the one who said of David Hume that he woke him out of his 'dogmatic slumbers'. And so I said (for whatever reason) that it probably isn't Kant. But now I say that it must be Kant. And that's my final answer!!!

To lay all my cards on the table, I also read your request for a Kant sub-forum and that played into my guessing strategy here.

So it must be Kant. ? Smile

Arjen

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 12:17 am
@Pythagorean,
Busted!

Kant it is. And I do love thoughts like these of his. Now it is your turn.
Smile

Pythagorean

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 01:39 am
@Arjen,
All right, it's my turn.

Mystery Philosopher wrote:

'How would it be possible if salvation were ready to our hand, and could without great labor be found, that it should be by almost all men neglected? But all things excellent are as difficult as they are rare.'

This is one of my favourite quotes. Guess who?

Arjen

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 10:48 am
@Arjen,
I have a small hypothesis at the moment, but first some questions to pinpoint the exact writer of these words. Is it an ancient Greek philosopher?

Pythagorean

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 03:53 pm
@Arjen,
Sorry Arjen, it is not an ancient Greek philosopher Sad .

The word 'salvation' should be paid attention to, but not too much. But the word 'salvation' in the quote may tell you that the writer is writing within the monotheistic west where religious 'salvation' was sought after.

Yet, my mystery philosopher maintains a peculiar and important relationship to certain historical changes regarding religious belief, particularly the interpretation of the Bible (although this aspect of his thought may not be all that well known).

Care for another guess?

Justin

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 06:56 pm
@Arjen,
... Spinoza? Baruch Spinoza - Final Answer!

Western Philosophy - Wiki Article

Pythagorean

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 07:06 pm
@Justin,
Haha! Give that man a cigar!!

Yes, Justin.
Baruch (Benedict) Spinoza (1623-1677), Dutch pantheistic philosopher. Ethics, bk. V, prop. Xlii, On the Improvement of the Understanding, the Ethics, and Correspondence, pp. 270-271, trans. by R.H.M. Elwes, Dover, New York (1955).

Very impressive indeed!! However did you know that? For I left scant clues.

Anyway, it's Justin's turn now.

Justin

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 07:57 pm
@Arjen,
Uh, oh... I have a confession... I'm a spoiler... didn't see the third rule. Sorry Sad

I'd suggest an Ashton but at this point a swift kick in the rear might be more appropriate!

Technically, it wouldn't be my turn. Do another pyth and provide hints. Still your turn. Now that I understand the rules Smile

Pythagorean

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 08:24 pm
@Justin,
[Edit]

O.K. Justin, then I will go again.Smile

I think we should just post the rules after each turn from now on.

Here I'll re-post them now in case anyone else wants to play:

quote important and well known philosophers and make the rest guess who said it. If you don't know, ask a question and the quote poster will have to answer. The one who guesses the name of the philosopher in question is next.

The rules:

Now here is my new Mystery Philosopher Quote:

Mystery Philosopher wrote:

'The strongest is never strong enough to be always the master, unless he transforms strength into right, and obedience into duty.'

I think this is a pretty memorable quote.

--Pyth

Arjen

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2007 12:34 am
@Arjen,
I think I know this one. I believe it is one of my personal favorite philosophers. Were it (in part) his combined works that started the French revolution?

Pythagorean

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2007 04:56 pm
@Arjen,
Yes, Arjen. Looks like you got it!

And I must say I'm impressed with you yet again. I'll let you announce the name of this soaring 'solitary walker'.

I would never have been able to guess him straight off like that.

Say his name and then it's your turn.

--Pyth

Arjen

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2007 05:57 pm
@Arjen,
I own a number of Jean-Jacques Rousseau's works. Some things stick after a while I suppose. Smile

I'll take a good nap and see if a good one will come to me in my dreams.

Arjen

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2007 02:39 am
@Arjen,
quote important and well known philosophers and make the rest guess who said it. If you don't know, ask a question and the quote poster will have to answer. The one who guesses the name of the philosopher in question is next.

The rules:

[quote="Mystery phylosopher"]
The only truth consists in knowing that you know nothing."
[/quote]

Pythagorean

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2007 04:34 pm
@Arjen,
The originator of that quote is the one and only Socrates.

And that's my final answer.

It is a profound truth, by the way...

So, am I right, Arjen?

--Pyth

Arjen

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2007 05:38 pm
@Arjen,
This one was too easy, huh?

The ball is in your court Pyth.

Pythagorean

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 01:39 am
@Arjen,
Arjen, I was glad you used that quote of Socrates', it is such an important quote. Anyway, it's my turn now.
--------------------

The rules:

Mystery Philosoper wrote:

Whoever desires to found a state and give it laws, must start with assuming that all men are bad and ever ready to display their vicious nature, whenever they may find occasion for it.

Guess who?

Arjen

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 11:24 am
@Pythagorean,
It sounds like a philosopher who was working on contract theories. Am I right?

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » The great quotations topic.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 12:31:46