The great quotations topic.

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Pythagorean

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 03:24 pm
@Arjen,
Sorry, no 'contract' theories, by this mystery philosoper, Arjen. But he was certainly interested in political philosophy and an inovator at that.

Notice the tone that he is taking in regard to human nature "assuming that all men are bad and ever ready to display their vicious nature, whenever they may find occasion for it." This tone is key to his identity.

--Pyth

PoPpAScience

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 06:22 pm
@Pythagorean,
Sounds like the pessimist Schopenhauer.

Pythagorean

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 08:43 pm
@PoPpAScience,
PoPpAScience wrote:

Sounds like the pessimist Schopenhauer.

That is an excellent guess PoP! But sorry, it is not Schopenhauer.

My mystery philosopher is primarily noted for his work in political theory. Perhaps I made this one a bit too hard, eh? But he is quite well known, though.

Care to guess again? Smile

--Pyth

PoPpAScience

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 12:22 am
@Pythagorean,
How about Karl Marx. I have not read anything on him, but he had his mind in building a state. He also believed in ruling with an iron fist to protect against the bad tendencies of men.

Arjen

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 10:40 am
@Arjen,
I have now begun wondering if at was an ancient Greek. Was it?

Justin

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 10:59 am
@Arjen,
Adolph Hitler? Just taking a crack at it!

Pythagorean

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 11:01 am
@Arjen,
PoPpAScience wrote:

How about Karl Marx. I have not read anything on him, but he had his mind in building a state. He also believed in ruling with an iron fist to protect against the bad tendencies of men.

Sorry, PoP, it's not Karl Marx. Good guess, though!

Arjen, he is not an ancient Greek. He's from the the European Renaissance (Florentine). He is known as a political theorist and historian who replaced political idealism with realism (political pragmatism).

Here is another quote from him:

"Since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved."

Any guesses?

--

Arjen

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 11:27 am
@Arjen,
Machiavelli!!

--edit--
btw: Shall we also post quotes in Latin? I can't help but love the language you see.

Pythagorean

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 11:57 am
@Arjen,
Arjen wrote:
Machiavelli!!

--edit--
btw: Shall we also post quotes in Latin? I can't help but love the language you see.

Machiavelli it is!

If you post quotes in Latin, Arjen, it would be fine and challenging for me. And a great opputunity to brush up on language skills!

Arjen, it is now your turn, my friend.

---
Hee Haaw, Justin! by the way, it would be a good question whether Adolf Hitler read Machiavelli, for Hitler was indeed Machiavellian Smile I'm sure others have drawn the parallel.

--

Arjen

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 12:30 pm
@Arjen,
quote important and well known philosophers and make the rest guess who said it. If you don't know, ask a question and the quote poster will have to answer. The one who guesses the name of the philosopher in question is next.

The rules:
- One person states a quote by a philosopher.
- People try to guess the name or ask questions.
- Nobody searches the internet for the quote (would be a spoiler).

Mystery philosopher wrote:

Pectore si fratris gladium juguloque parentis
Condere me jubeas, gravidaeque in viscera partu
Conjugis, invita peragam tamen omnia dextra.

--edit--
This one is used by a famous philosopher. He is citing someone else. I would be happy with either of the names. Smile

boagie

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 01:26 pm
@Pythagorean,
:eek: "[People] have to realize that the Jews in the U.S. control the entire information and propaganda machine, the large newspapers, the motion pictures, radio and television, and the big companies. And there is a force that we have to take into consideration." ~Richard Nixon :eek:

Just when you thought your thoughts were your own!!Very Happy

Arjen

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 04:09 pm
@boagie,
The answer wasn't Richard Nixon. Razz

ppst, Boagie, we were playing a game. We try to guess the name of a mystery philosopher and the one who guesse the name gets to pick the next quote. If you don't know the answer you can try asking questions to deduce who it must have been. Would you like to try? I'll post the last quote below:

quote important and well known philosophers and make the rest guess who said it. If you don't know, ask a question and the quote poster will have to answer. The one who guesses the name of the philosopher in question is next.

The rules:

Mystery philosopher wrote:

Pectore si fratris gladium juguloque parentis
Condere me jubeas, gravidaeque in viscera partu
Conjugis, invita peragam tamen omnia dextra.

This one is used by a famous philosopher. He is citing someone else. I would be happy with either of the names. Smile

boagie

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 04:41 pm
@Arjen,
Smile Not Nixon, well is it Rousseau again, quoting stoic philosophy?

Arjen

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 11:39 pm
@Arjen,
Lucan).

Your turn, please also post the "game rules" along with your quote.

p.s. Are you familiar with Rousseau's work?

Pythagorean

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 02:18 am
@Arjen,
Boagie,Smile it's your turn, please go ahead and post a quote by your mystery philosopher.

-

Pythagorean

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2007 05:57 am
@Pythagorean,
I think he spoilt the game...

Let's start without him.

The rules:

mystery philosopher wrote:

"esse est percipi"

Guess who?

--Pyth

Arjen

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2007 11:48 am
@Arjen,
Is it a Roman or just someone who speaks Latin?

Pythagorean

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 01:04 am
@Arjen,
Not a Roman, Arjen, but someone who wrote in some Latin. It's an important and influential quote, one that I personally am going to try to memorize from now on Smile.

Esse in particular is an important word that Aquinas in particular uses (my quote is not from Aquinas though). Est percipi translated loosely means "to be perceived".

Care for another guess?
--

Doorsopen

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 05:39 pm
@Arjen,
wait a mo ... Missed something earlier in this thread: Socrates? We don't have any quotes from Socrates, only Plato telling us about Socrates...
Sorry so pedantic- cool game

Arjen

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 11:43 pm
@Arjen,
I must admit you caught us there. Perhaps we should have said Socrates, though Plato's pen. Thank you for pointing this out.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 08:30:20