The 2011-2 a2k design feedback thread

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 04:32 pm
@ossobuco,
There is a "Reply" button at the end of the thread that acts as the "Reply to All" button.

The label on that button should probably be changed so it is consistent with the forum functionality.

Thomas

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 04:33 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
Having just posted to this thread, I expected to see the thread under "Thomas---My Posts". But it isn't showing up there.

Ah. The pattern seems to be that "My Posts" has the threads to which I posted under "Forums", but not the ones to which I posted under "Groups". Is that a bug or a feature?

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 04:34 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Sheesh, you're quick today!

Not a psychological thing. I was noticing a difference in fonts several days ago before the new design was pushed live.

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 04:36 pm
@Thomas,
Think of it as two separate systems.

There is a little triangle in the header that indicates which system you currently are in. (Reminds me of the older gear shift displays in cars that had that little triangle to indicate if you were in Park, Reverse or Drive.)

When you are in the Forums system, you can view only the content in that system. When you are in the Group system, you can view only the content in that system.

The navigation and functionality is very similar between the two, with the only indication of a change in systems being that little triangle.

I'm thinking that perhaps a different colored background or banner color would help indicate to people when they are in a different system than the forums.

Thomas

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 04:39 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:
When you are in the Forums system, you can view only the content in that system. When you are in the Group system, you can view only the content in that system.

I understand that. My point is, where do I find the "My Posts" page for the Group system, or whatever serves as its equivalent here?

sozobe

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 04:40 pm
@Thomas,
You should see at the top of your screen... in the gray bar. (That's the posts you've made in groups, you need to switch back over to forums to see the "my posts" view that you're used to.)

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 04:42 pm
@Thomas,
Make sure you are in the Group system, then click on the New Posts link. Currently, it only shows the topics you've posted in.

Currently, there is no way to see a list of the individual posts you've written so you have to browse through the topic to find your specific posts.

I've asked if that will be available on our profile pages as a read-only by each member.

Thomas

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 04:45 pm
@Thomas,
PS: Are there any plans to merge the systems? I can understand that users with a different history might prefer a different view on the same system. But if the long-term objective is to maintain distinct systems for a2k, philforum, and possibly others, what's the point of merging them in the first place?

Intrepid

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 04:47 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

ehBeth wrote:

interesting. had to 'register' to reply to Walter

but registering just seems to mean clicking on the register button

font looks a bit odd - may be this monitor though

Not just you - it does look odd.

Cycloptichorn

It certainly does.

Thomas

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 04:48 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:
Make sure you are in the Group system, then click on the New Posts link. Currently, it only shows the topics you've posted in.

Oh. I see. I looked in the wrong place (the blue menu where "All Groups" and "My Groups" are in), when it's in the white-ish toolbar below.

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 04:50 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

PS: Are there any plans to merge the systems? I can understand that users with a different history might prefer a different view on the same system. But if the long-term objective is to maintain distinct systems for a2k, philforum, and possibly others, what's the point of merging them in the first place?

This is just a guess, but I bet that putting the Philforum and nurse's forum on the A2K software platform was a big improvement for them. I seem to recall RG saying something like that during the Droid merge.

Cycloptichorn

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 04:50 pm
@Thomas,
No merging, this is intentional design.

Here's an excerpt from the A2K blog when the PhilForum was assimilated:

Quote:
# Groups - We intend to get a rough beta version of private groups going and we will import the Philforum groups. This will also allow for users to make their own forums with their own structure and rules if they do not agree with how we run things.

ossobuco

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 04:52 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
No, it's not at the bottom on this page, on my screen (safari 10.5.8)

It is at the bottom on the forum pages for me.

I don't think people seeing wonky font are mistaken - I agree with Soz it is probably a browser thing.

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 04:59 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

No, it's not at the bottom on this page, on my screen (safari 10.5.8)

It is at the bottom on the forum pages for me.

I don't think people seeing wonky font are mistaken - I agree with Soz it is probably a browser thing.

Can you take a screenshot? Now I'm interested.

Cycloptichorn

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 05:01 pm
I don't like the new fonts!

Faint and too light!

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 05:01 pm
For those who haven't figured it out yet, when in the Groups system there are two clickable able2know logos. The upper most one in the blue banner navigates to the forum home page while the lower one in the gray menu bar navigates to the groups home page.

I mention this for another reason. When I click on the Groups link in the banner, it takes me to a home page that just lists the groups in which I am registered. However, when I click on the lower Able2Know logo in the gray menu bar, it takes me to a hope page that lists all the groups and sub-topics and has a vertical group index in the right column.

Not sure if that is because of the beta testing group or if it is something that needs to be tweaked so they give the same results.

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 05:02 pm
@PUNKEY,
Which browser and operating system are you using?

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 05:03 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:

For those who haven't figured it out yet, when in the Groups system there are two clickable able2know logos. The upper most one in the blue banner navigates to the forum home page while the lower one in the gray menu bar navigates to the groups home page.

I think the second one - the Grey A2K with no question mark in the middle - navigates to the home page FOR THIS GROUP - the able2know group. Not the groups home page. To get there you would click 'all groups' or maybe the 'Groups' link in green at the top.

Cycloptichorn

Thomas

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 05:03 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:
No merging, this is intentional design.

I was afraid you might say that.

littlek

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 05:12 pm
Looks fine to me on first glance.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/16/2024 at 04:01:33