The 2011-2 a2k design feedback thread

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Thomas

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 05:17 pm
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:
What? Like we ever agree on anything.... hehe... (emoticons don't work)

Emoticons work for me. ("Show BBCode Editor-->Emoticons") Some of the icons aren't there. But some do, and there's always a link that inserts the right one when you click it. Testing....

Very happy--- Very Happy
Smile--- Smile
Wink--- Wink
Sad--- Sad
Surprised--- Surprised
Confused--- Confused
Cool--- Cool
Lauging--- Laughing
Mad--- Mad
Razz--- Razz
Embarrassed--- Embarrassed
Crying or very sad--- Crying or Very sad
Evil or very mad--- Evil or Very Mad
Twisted Evil--- Twisted Evil
Roll--- Rolling Eyes
Exclamation--- Exclamation
Question--- Question
Idea--- Idea
Arrow--- Arrow
Neutral--- Neutral
Mr. Green--- Mr. Green
Two Cents--- 2 Cents
Not Equal--- Not Equal
Drunk--- Drunk

sozobe

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 05:18 pm
@Thomas,
What do you mean by merging, exactly?

Just for example -- individuals who are members of the Philforum group might spend some time there engaged in rigorous philosophical discussion, but then also spend time on the A2K forums having more general discussion (or philosophical discussion in the A2K manner rather than the Philforum manner).

sozobe

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 05:19 pm
@Thomas,
Those are all blue question marks for me right now.

Thomas

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 05:19 pm
@Thomas,
Aaaah... so they don't work after all. The buttons do insert the string, but the strings aren't converted to an image.

sozobe

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 05:20 pm
@Thomas,
Interesting, the first time I saw your post it was all blue question marks. I then posted the above reply -- but five (only five) of the emoticons showed. When I refreshed, it was back to just blue question marks.

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 05:23 pm
@Thomas,
I think it is just a matter of the graphics in the Groups system needing to be refreshed/repopulated.

At first, the emoticon only showed blue question marks for me, but after I went to the Forums system and looked at the emoticons menu there, I came back here and checked them again and now all the graphics are there on display.

They even show in the list you just created.

Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes Exclamation Question Idea Arrow Neutral Mr. Green 2 Cents Not Equal Drunk

sozobe

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 05:24 pm
@Butrflynet,
Yep, that works for me too.

Thomas

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 05:33 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:
What do you mean by merging, exactly?

By merging, I mean that you end up with one database for the entire content, but possibly with different views on this content so users see an interface they're familiar with.

sozobe wrote:
Just for example -- individuals who are members of the Philforum group might spend some time there engaged in rigorous philosophical discussion, but then also spend time on the A2K forums having more general discussion (or philosophical discussion in the A2K manner rather than the Philforum manner).

Sure. And by the same token, they may also spend time on Facebook or Twitter, having yet another kind of discussion. I understand two different systems on two different websites. I understand one system on one website. What I don't understand is two systems on one website.

But on reflection, that's probably a design question that lies beyond the scope of our testing.

Thomas

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 05:34 pm
@sozobe,
I saw one emoticon after I posted, and all after I refreshed.

sozobe

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 05:41 pm
@Thomas,
Hmm. I think the database is shared, it's a matter of organization/ what you see at a given time.

But I'm not sure.

Ionus

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 05:42 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I will give you feedback soon after you feed me.

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 05:43 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
PS: Are there any plans to merge the systems?

No, the groups feature was created for the purpose of being a discrete system.

Quote:
I can understand that users with a different history might prefer a different view on the same system. But if the long-term objective is to maintain distinct systems for a2k, philforum, and possibly others, what's the point of merging them in the first place?

Both a2k and the group enjoy network effect benefits while the group can maintain the culture of their microcosm.

It's to a2k's benefit to host these groups because there will be crossover activity and it's to the groups benefits to be hosted by a2k because they can enjoy free forum hosting while being able to maintain a distinct forum culture.

For most of the groups that are going to be starting here soon, this makes the difference of being online or not.

Thomas

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 05:46 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Thanks for the explanation, Robert.

ossobuco

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 05:52 pm
@Butrflynet,
Thanks, that makes sense.

ossobuco

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 05:56 pm
I saw all the emoticons Thomas showed, for what that may be worth. (Safari).

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 06:09 pm

will it be possible to see a list of group members for a particular group?

Nick Ashley

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 06:11 pm
@ossobuco,
There was a bug with emoticons in the 'groups' section of the site. This was causing erratic behavior, as some people would see them working properly as they were cached from the 'forums' section of the site, but once the cache was invalidated, they would stop displaying (until you viewed them on the 'forums' section again).

This bug should be fixed, so emoticons should now be working all the time.

Reyn

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 06:12 pm
Ragman wrote:

Forgive me if this is a repat from anyone else's comments. Font currently as displayed in A2K appear chalky and uneven in but appear as normal in all other sites. Internet Explorer (64-bit). It's unpleasing to my eye and makes my eyes feel as though they 'tired'.

My experience is the same.

Using Windows 7
Internet Explorer 8

hamburgboy

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 06:16 pm
@Reyn,
Quote:
My experience is the same.

and my experience is the same - looks washed out .
hbg

djjd62

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 06:17 pm
@Reyn,
looks fine on mac os 10.6.6 and safari 5.0.3

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 05:28:14