Wittgenstein and phenomenology

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reconstructo

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 03:10 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;130361 wrote:
Yes, I've always been curious about that. I do not know exactly how language correlates with thought. I have heard that we think in language, but I'm inclined to think that we can think without language. I'd like to learn more about this - what exactly does language contribute to our thought?

I suppose the living totality of thought could be described as linguistic thought, emotion, quasi-sensual imagination. Am I leaving anything out?

Speech is simultaneously conceptual and musical/emotional. Our voice tone says as much as the words we choose. Also, live speech allows for facial gestures and body language. We get the trinity of sound/image/text. Music/Art/Logos. All in any live conversation. What kind of thought is unspoken in a paniting by Raphael or a sculpture by Richard Serra? What thought(s) does the music of Schoenberg provide?

I suspect we could use more precise words here. I know that many of the classic philosophers went out of there way to describe separate mental faculties, to avoid these kind of difficulties. It's a good subject.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 04:06 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;130344 wrote:
Good point. Language itself is learned from experience. So tautologies in a language really don't in the strictest sense provide a priori knowledge. Even the language of mathematics must be learned first from experience before we can recognize a tautology as a tautology.

As I already explained, tautologies (analytic statements) are known, a priori, in just the sense that understanding them is a both a sufficient and necessary condition for knowing that they are true, as contrasted with synthetic statements for which understanding them is not a sufficient condition for knowing whether they are true. That is exactly the sense in which Kant, who coined the distinction between analytic and synthetic judgments, distinguished them. He himself notes that the language itself is learned from experience. It is a point that Kant himself made. (Sigh).

Reconstructo

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 04:22 pm
@kennethamy,
Kant is great. But it's not my ambition to limit myself to his use of the term. We are looking at whether tautologies can be know prior to the experience of learning a language. It's an interesting point. It's not an arm wrestling match. I'm not a historian. I'm a person who uses his free time to have mostly friendly virtual conversations on mostly philosophical themes.

I'm fascinated by the concept of embeddedness. We are always already embedded in a language. We must use this same language to question language. Just as psychology is the mind studying this same mind.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 04:34 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;130384 wrote:
m. We are looking at whether tautologies can be know prior to the experience of learning a language..

Of course not. We cannot know statement is true unless we understand it, so we cannot know whether a tautology is true unless we understand it, since all tautologies are statements. Your question makes no sense. It has nothing to do with Kant. It has to do with, shall we say, standing on the shoulders of others, and understanding what you are talking about. Not being a true philosopher, but only trying to make sense. I'll leave being a true philosopher to Heidegger and others who talk nonsense. But original nonsense. Is there another kind?

It would depend, of course, on who it is I am embedded with, but embeddedness (how Platonic!) fascinates me too.

Insty

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 06:28 pm
@Insty,
Insty;130279 wrote:
Which is why it's clear that a wrong turn has been taken if people are discussing W's view by insisting that he's engaged in a priori analysis of some kind or by reference to traditional philosophical examples of tautological propositions.

kennethamy;130330 wrote:
I agree, so it is a good thing that no one (to my knowledge) is trying to do such a silly thing.

You earlier comments clearly suggested that W could be regarded as engaging in a priori conceptual analysis. That's how the tangent regarding the meaning of "a priori" knowledge arose. To recapitulate:

Insty;129855 wrote:
No one said that W attacked the idea that philosophy was a form of conceptual clarification. What I said was that -- contrary to your suggestions -- he rejected the idea that philosophy was an a priori conceptual discipline. If that seems like an odd reading of W to you, I don't think you're very familiar with his philosophy.

kennethamy;129860 wrote:
Well, I would be interested in hearing why you thought that, too. What kind of thing do you think W. thought philosophizing was? Of course, he thought we had to examine the actual use of our language, in case you are thinking of that. But after we understood the meanings of our words, then the connections among them was known a-priori. Maybe the disagreement comes from looking at the different stages of the philosophizing. Wittgenstein admonishes us to "look, don't think". But after we look, we have to think.

The clear suggestion here is that you believe that W does regard philosophy as an a priori conceptual discipline. He didn't. That you should even express any doubt on this point makes it clear that you don't have a firm handle on W's view. I don't say this as an insult, because you don't pretend to have a firm handle on his view. The problem is that you still seem determined to say things about W's view and to challenge what others say about his view. Since you're not able to discuss W's view itself, you end up taking the thread off track in order to discuss other issues. I think this is unfair to the folks who want to discuss W's view and come to a better understanding of it. Just my two cents.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 06:42 pm
@Insty,
Insty;130412 wrote:
You earlier comments clearly suggested that W could be regarded as engaging in a priori conceptual analysis. That's how the tangent regarding the meaning of "a priori" knowledge arose. To recapitulate:

The clear suggestion here is that you believe that W does regard philosophy as an a priori conceptual discipline. He didn't. That you should even express any doubt on this point makes it clear that you don't have a firm handle on W's view. I don't say this as an insult, because you don't pretend to have a firm handle on his view. The problem is that you still seem determined to say things about W's view and to challenge what others say about his view. Since you're not able to discuss W's view itself, you end up taking the thread off track in order to discuss other issues. I think this is unfair to the folks who want to discuss W's view and come to a better understanding of it. Just my two cents.

Well, he certainly does not think of it as an empirical discipline, otherwise he would think of it as a branch of linguistics. What sort of statement do you think that knowledge implies truth is? That was my example.

Insty

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 07:10 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;130413 wrote:
Well, he certainly does not think of it as an empirical discipline, otherwise he would think of it as a branch of linguistics. What sort of statement do you think that knowledge implies truth is? That was my example.

W wasn't too interested in characterizing his view in terms of the a priori/empirical knowledge dichotomy. He would have said that that distinction merely betokened a difference in language games.

In point of fact, W regarded philosophy as similar to disciplines like linguistics -- and anthropology. In PI, he says of his philosophy: "What we are supplying are really remarks on the natural history of human beings." (PI 415). He's talking here very much about "empirical" descriptions of linguistic practices.

As for statements like "knowledge implies truth," as I've pointed out, W wouldn't have agreed with that proposition, and he wasn't interested in deriving those kinds of principles from studying language games.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 07:18 pm
@Insty,
Insty;130422 wrote:
W wasn't too interested in characterizing his view in terms of the a priori/empirical knowledge dichotomy. He would have said that that distinction merely betokened a difference in language games.

In point of fact, W regarded philosophy as similar to disciplines like linguistics -- and anthropology. In PI, he says of his philosophy: "What we are supplying are really remarks on the natural history of human beings." (PI 415). He's talking here very much about "empirical" descriptions of linguistic practices.

As for statements like "knowledge implies truth," as I've pointed out, W wouldn't have agreed with that proposition, and he wasn't interested in deriving those kinds of principles from studying language games.

I don't know, and neither do you know, what W. would have said about the proposition that knowledge implies truth. What I was wondering was whether you rhought it was an empirical proposition. If I were interested in interpreting Wittgenstein, I would have joined the interpretation of W. thread. "I should not like my writing to spare other people the trouble of thinking. But if possible, to stimulate someone to thoughts of his own".

Insty

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 07:58 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;130425 wrote:
I don't know, and neither do you know, what W. would have said about the proposition that knowledge implies truth. What I was wondering was whether you rhought it was an empirical proposition. If I were interested in interpreting Wittgenstein, I would have joined the interpretation of W. thread. "I should not like my writing to spare other people the trouble of thinking. But if possible, to stimulate someone to thoughts of his own".

Yes, I have a very good idea of what W would have said about the proposition that knowledge implies truth. Again, if you think that W's view was unclear on this point, you're just not understanding him.

Asking whether the proposition "knowledge implies truth" is an "empirical" one is to start down the road of asking misguided philosophical questions. W is asking us to simply look at the way in which the words "know" or "knowledge" are used. Needless to say, once a person does that, it becomes clear that its use is extremely complicated and varies from one linguistic context to another. It's use isn't even confined to making assertions that are susceptible of truth or falsity. The same is obviously true of the words "true" and "truth." W doesn't have any general theory of truth according to which it would make sense to say that knowledge does or doesn't imply truth.

W doesn't have an answer to the question "Does knowledge imply truth?" He's trying to get you to stop asking that kind of question.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 08:11 pm
@Insty,
Insty;130433 wrote:
Yes, I

Asking whether the proposition "knowledge implies truth" is an "empirical" one is to start down the road of asking misguided philosophical questions. W is asking us to simply look at the way in which the words "know" or "knowledge" are used..

In that case I would suppose that the question is an empirical question. But, why should I stop asking that question? Any particular reason you know of. If so, do let me know. It seems to me, though, that the answer to that question is yes, since if someone claims to know that p, and p is false, then that person is going to withdraw his claim. Wouldn't you say so? For instance, if I claim to know that Quito is the capital of Bolivia, someone can easily make me withdraw that claim by showing me a map of Bolivia, and pointing out that La Paz is the capital of Bolivia. And, he might even then show me a map of Ecuador, and point out that Quito is the capital of Ecuador. Does that sound right to you?

Insty

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 08:31 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;130436 wrote:
In that case I would suppose that the question is an empirical question. But, why should I stop asking that question? Any particular reason you know of. If so, do let me know. It seems to me, though, that the answer to that question is yes, since if someone claims to know that p, and p is false, then that person is going to withdraw his claim. Wouldn't you say so? For instance, if I claim to know that Quito is the capital of Bolivia, someone can easily make me withdraw that claim by showing me a map of Bolivia, and pointing out that La Paz is the capital of Bolivia. And, he might even then show me a map of Ecuador, and point out that Quito is the capital of Ecuador. Does that sound right to you?

I just explained the reason for not asking questions like "Does knowledge imply truth?" in my previous post: they're based on a mistaken view of language and don't make sense. I'm afraid I can't give you any better reason than that.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 08:48 pm
@Insty,
Insty;130439 wrote:
I just explained the reason for not asking questions like "Does knowledge imply truth?" in my previous post: they're based on a mistaken view of language and don't make sense. I'm afraid I can't give you any better reason than that.

It doesn't make sense to ask whether knowledge implies truth? On what sense of "sense" is that? I just offered an argument for the proposition that knowledge implies truth. Do you have any objections to it? If so, what are they? Most peculiar.

That's a reason for thinking that the question is senseless? That Wittgenstein was not interested in it?

Insty

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 10:14 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;130443 wrote:
It doesn't make sense to ask whether knowledge implies truth? On what sense of "sense" is that? I just offered an argument for the proposition that knowledge implies truth. Do you have any objections to it? If so, what are they? Most peculiar.

That's a reason for thinking that the question is senseless? That Wittgenstein was not interested in it?

The statement you've quoted was made in the context of our exchange over W's view of statements such as "knowledge implies truth." My point was that W wouldn't have thought that the question made any sense. This particular remark obviously wasn't offered as a reason for thinking that the question was senseless -- I went on to explain his reasons later.

As it happens, I am persuaded by W's views on this point, but my only concern in this thread has been to discuss W's position -- a topic on which you have expressed much confusion -- not to debate the question whether knowledge implies truth, or to discuss whether the statement "knowledge implies truth" is "empirical." If I had wanted to discuss those issues, I'd have posted my thoughts in a thread on epistemology. This thread, of course, is about W.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 10:26 pm
@Insty,
Insty;130477 wrote:
The statement you've quoted was made in the context of our exchange over W's view of statements such as "knowledge implies truth." My point was that W wouldn't have thought that the question made any sense. This particular remark obviously wasn't offered as a reason for thinking that the question was senseless -- I went on to explain his reasons later.

As it happens, I am persuaded by W's views on this point, but my only concern in this thread has been to discuss W's position -- a topic on which you have expressed much confusion -- not to debate the question whether knowledge implies truth, or to discuss whether the statement "knowledge implies truth" is "empirical." If I had wanted to discuss those issues, I'd have posted my thoughts in a thread on epistemology. This thread, of course, is about W.

I would doubt very much that he would have thought that question made no sense. I cannot imagine in what sense of "sense" he would have thought such a thing. It is plain English, and anyone could understand what it means. In fact, I have already explained what it meant to you. To say that W. would have thought that question made no sense would be like saying that he would have thought that asking, what was the color of his shoes made no sense.

Insty

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 10:50 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;130480 wrote:
I would doubt very much that he would have thought that question made no sense. I cannot imagine in what sense of "sense" he would have thought such a thing. It is plain English, and anyone could understand what it means. In fact, I have already explained what it meant to you. To say that W. would have thought that question made no sense would be like saying that he would have thought that asking, what was the color of his shoes made no sense.

I've tried to explain as best I could but have come up short. I gives up.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 10:58 pm
@Insty,
Insty;130495 wrote:
I've tried to explain as best I could but have come up short. I gives up.

Is that because it makes sense to ask what color a pair of shoes is, or because it makes sense to ask whether when I claim to know that Quito is the capital of Ecuador, I am implying that Quito is the capital of Ecuador? If it it isn't, then I don't know it is. P implies Q iff not-Q implies not-P. I am sure even Wittgenstein knew that.

Insty

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 11:04 pm
@Insty,
kennethamy;130500 wrote:
Is that because it makes sense to ask what color a pair of shoes is, or because it makes sense to ask whether when I claim to know that Quito is the capital of Ecuador, I am implying that Quito is the capital of Ecuador? If it it isn't, then I don't know it is. P implies Q iff not-Q implies not-P. I am sure even Wittgenstein knew that.

I gives up.

:brickwall:

kennethamy

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 11:11 pm
@Insty,
Insty;130504 wrote:
I gives up.

:brickwall:

You already mentioned that.

Insty

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 11:14 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;130509 wrote:
You already mentioned that.

And yet, you continued to ask questions.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 11:24 pm
@Insty,
Insty;130511 wrote:
And yet, you continued to ask questions.

I think the rules of posting permit that even when you "gives up". But, to make sure, I'll look it up.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 09:17:43