Wittgenstein and phenomenology

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Insty

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 01:35 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;129567 wrote:
Would you agree that the Investigates have little to say about the history of philosophy? Extremely piece-meal work. The Tractatus is more exciting by far, I think. And yet I feel that the picture theory of language is quite limited. Can the later statements in the Tractatus concerning the self and silence be accounted for by the picture theory of meaning? In your opinion?

I agree that the Investigations has little to say about the history of philosophy, but I wouldn't say that it's a piecemeal work. Once one gets a sense of what W is up to in the Investigations, I think the issues he discusses, the way he addresses them, and the order in which he addresses them, make a lot of sense.

I can't say whether the Tractatus's later propositions concerning the self and silence are compatible with the picture theory of meaning. I'm inclined to think they are compatible, though, because W in the Tractatus apparently thinks they're compatible.

Reconstructo;129567 wrote:

Have you read Wittgenstein's Vienna? That book implies that Fritz Mauthner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia influenced Wittgenstein. Indeed, that Vienna was generally concerned with Wittgensteinian issues.
Also that ethics were Wittgenstein's motivating concern.

I haven't read that book, but it sounds interesting.

Reconstructo

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 01:45 am
@Insty,
Insty;129584 wrote:
I agree that the Investigations has little to say about the history of philosophy, but I wouldn't say that it's a piecemeal work.

I'm about to tackle it again. Perhaps I will regret calling it "piecemeal."

---------- Post added 02-18-2010 at 02:47 AM ----------

Insty;129584 wrote:

I can't say whether the Tractatus's later propositions concerning the self and silence are compatible with the picture theory of meaning. I'm inclined to think they are compatible, though, because W in the Tractatus apparently thinks they're compatible.

It's tricky. At the end he calls his propositions nonsensical. "He must transcend these propositions and then he will see the world aright. "

Now what do we make of that? Transcendence, of all things. He's a complicated guy.

---------- Post added 02-18-2010 at 02:48 AM ----------

Insty;129584 wrote:

I haven't read that book, but it sounds interesting.

It's a good read. It's not only on Witt, but he's the most prominent.

Deckard

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 01:53 am
@Insty,
Insty;129584 wrote:
I agree that the Investigations has little to say about the history of philosophy,

One of the things that I admire about Wittgenstein and perhaps the analytics in general is their apparent independence of historical context. Yet there is also the history of logic and mathematics to consider which I consider to be a part of the history of philosophy. If these guys drop fewer names of past philosophers that doesn't mean they are without historical context.

Reconstructo

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 01:55 am
@Deckard,
Deckard;129598 wrote:
One of the things that I admire about Wittgenstein and perhaps the analytics in general is their apparent independence of historical context.

I do think that's part of their charm.

---------- Post added 02-18-2010 at 03:01 AM ----------

Deckard;129598 wrote:
If these guys drop fewer names of past philosophers that doesn't mean they are without historical context.

That's true. I do feel that Wittgenstein takes the long, and possibly superior, way around. His "reminders for a particular purpose" are so anti-systematic that he seems especially open to interpretation. I have tended to enjoy the interpreters of Wittgenstein more than Wittgenstein, excepting the Tractatus.

That said, I'm about to tackle both with a little more determination. Before, I didn't know anyone who had heard of him. (No, I don't hang around with philosophy readers. Does anyone else find philosophy to be a minority interest?)

kennethamy

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 07:27 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;129600 wrote:
I do think that's part of their charm.

---------- Post added 02-18-2010 at 03:01 AM ----------

That's true. I do feel that Wittgenstein takes the long, and possibly superior, way around. His "reminders for a particular purpose" are so anti-systematic that he seems especially open to interpretation. I have tended to enjoy the interpreters of Wittgenstein more than Wittgenstein, excepting the Tractatus.

That said, I'm about to tackle both with a little more determination. Before, I didn't know anyone who had heard of him. (No, I don't hang around with philosophy readers. Does anyone else find philosophy to be a minority interest?)

It seems to me that his, "reminders for a particular purpose" is very much like what Socrates/Plato said. In philosophy, we don't learn anything new, but we are reminded of what we already know, and, perhaps, see it in a new light. After all, it isn't that we did not know, for example, that knowledge implies truth, but when someone holds that knowledge is only justified belief, Socrates in Theatetus reminds him that a lucky guess is not knowledge, and gives him an example of a lucky guess to stir his memory. Wittgenstein does the same thing. He also reminds us of what we already knew, but forgot while our language was "on holiday" and "idling".

I would think that most educated people have heard of Wittgenstein. He has been quite influential outside of philosophy, particularly his notion of "language games". It fits into the prevailing idealist ethos.

Zetherin

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 08:40 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;129634 wrote:
It seems to me that his, "reminders for a particular purpose" is very much like what Socrates/Plato said. In philosophy, we don't learn anything new, but we are reminded of what we already know, and, perhaps, see it in a new light. After all, it isn't that we did not know, for example, that knowledge implies truth, but when someone holds that knowledge is only justified belief, Socrates in Theatetus reminds him that a lucky guess is not knowledge, and gives him an example of a lucky guess to stir his memory. Wittgenstein does the same thing. He also reminds us of what we already knew, but forgot while our language was "on holiday" and "idling".

Why do you think while studying philosophy we do not learn anything new? Though you are right that reminders are key, I believe that I do learn things I hadn't previously known before.

kennethamy

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 09:02 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;129650 wrote:
Why do you think while studying philosophy we do not learn anything new? Though you are right that reminders are key, I believe that I do learn things I hadn't previously known before.

Well, like what? I don't mean technical things, of course.

Consider my example about knowledge and truth. (Of course, even if that is not knowing something new, that doesn't mean that you don't learn something new from philosophy, but it illustrates what I am getting at). The general idea is that science provides knowledge, but philosophy understanding. But, of course, that is very general, and needs investigation and clarification.

Zetherin

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 09:22 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;129652 wrote:
Well, like what? I don't mean technical things, of course.

Consider my example about knowledge and truth. (Of course, even if that is not knowing something new, that doesn't mean that you don't learn something new from philosophy, but it illustrates what I am getting at). The general idea is that science provides knowledge, but philosophy understanding. But, of course, that is very general, and needs investigation and clarification.

Hm. You distinguish between knowledge and understanding, though the juxtaposition here isn't all that clear to me. By understanding, I suppose you mean a new outlook on what we already know, as opposed to learning something new. But isn't achieving a new outlook, learning something new? And couldn't this be considered knowledge?

I will give you an example. A few months ago, I had never heard of the modal fallacy, and while philosophizing, unbeknownst to me, I had been committing it. After learning more about modal operators, I have clarified many problems I had struggled with before, and now am able to realize the mistake when I make it. Didn't I learn something here, haven't I gained knowledge about something?

kennethamy

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 09:31 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;129659 wrote:
Hm. You distinguish between knowledge and understanding, though the juxtaposition here isn't all that clear to me. By understanding, I suppose you mean a new outlook on what we already know, as opposed to learning something new. But isn't achieving a new outlook, learning something new? And couldn't this be considered knowledge?

I will give you an example. A few months ago, I had never heard of the modal fallacy, and while philosophizing, unbeknownst to me, I had been committing it. After learning more about modal operators, I have clarified many problems I had struggled with before, and now am able to realize the mistake when I make it. Didn't I learn something here, haven't I gained knowledge about something?

Well, yes. If you include understanding in knowledge. But then, let's simply distinguish between two kinds of philosophical knowledge; informational knowledge, and understanding knowledge. Its really just a change of language. We are still making the distinction I pointed to. The modal stuff is, in a way, a more accurate way of putting something you already know, but may not have remembered. I am trying to make a very general distinction in this way between science and philosophy. Of course it is to be expected that there will be a fuzzy area in between when it will be rather a matter of decision how to divide the territory. But getting back to my example, would you agree that when we learned that knowledge implies truth, that we already knew that, so that the being taught it is was really reminding you that it was? It was not new information. Not in the way that discovering that Mars is the fourth planet is.

We shall not cease from exploration
and the end off all our exploring
will be to arrive where we started
and know the place for the first time......

T.S Elliot
"Little Gidding"

And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.

And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.

Insty

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 11:58 am
@Deckard,
One can definitely come to know something new by practicing philosophy in W's way. But his point is that if you want to learn something about concepts like "truth, "knowledge," "the good," "trust," or anything else, it's necessary to look at the role these concepts actually play in our linguistic practices instead of trying to construct some theory about them. When one looks at how concepts are actually used, one can come to a much deeper understanding of them, even if we already have some basic grasp of how they work. W was always trying to point out how complex and variegated our language is, and he drew attention to the many subtleties that make up the grammar of different words and expressions -- tone of voice, gestures, the play of the eyes, etc. We can learn lots about the words and expressions we use if we look carefully at these sorts of things.

jack phil

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 12:27 pm
@Deckard,
Curious, I think the PI is incredibly historical.

Every time Wittgenstein says "SLAB!" I think of Egyptian and Mayan pyramids being built on opposite sides of the world, and how curious of a fact it is.

kennethamy

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 01:38 pm
@Insty,
Insty;129691 wrote:
One can definitely come to know something new by practicing philosophy in W's way. .

Then you must have some examples of it. Can you share some?

---------- Post added 02-18-2010 at 02:39 PM ----------

jack;129705 wrote:
Curious, I think the PI is incredibly historical.

Every time Wittgenstein says "SLAB!" I think of Egyptian and Mayan pyramids being built on opposite sides of the world, and how curious of a fact it is.

I think of roast beef.

jgweed

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 04:14 pm
@Deckard,
The first part of PI takes issue with Augustine's discussion of how we learn words. If that isn't involving itself in the history of Philosophy, I don't know what is.
It also helps to understand what W. was trying to do if one reads some of G.E. Moore and others of the ordinary language school.

kennethamy

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 04:22 pm
@jgweed,
jgweed;129733 wrote:
The first part of PI takes issue with Augustine's discussion of how we learn words. If that isn't involving itself in the history of Philosophy, I don't know what is.
It also helps to understand what W. was trying to do if one reads some of G.E. Moore and others of the ordinary language school.

Luckily, the word, "involve" is so blessedly vague, that we can be happy with either a yes or a no answer to your question. I already pointed out (using that very example) that PI is not innocent of the history of philosophy, as was suggested by R.

Insty

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 04:57 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;129711 wrote:
Then you must have some examples of it. Can you share some?

Yes, the best examples I'm aware of can be found in the writings of Peter Winch, D.Z. Philips (especially where religion is concerned), and other so-called Swansea Wittgensteinians.

kennethamy

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 05:04 pm
@Insty,
Insty;129741 wrote:
Yes, the best examples I'm aware of can be found in the writings of Peter Winch, D.Z. Philips (especially where religion is concerned), and other so-called Swansea Wittgensteinians.

Can you mention one or two? You are so definite about it. I gave an example of (what I considered not learning something new, and I can give more if you like).

Reconstructo

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 05:32 pm
@Deckard,
Witt seems to rarely mention other philosophers by name. To me, this sets him apart from many of my other favorite philosophers.

---------- Post added 02-18-2010 at 06:38 PM ----------

Rereading the beginning of Investigations, I take that he wants to widen our conception of language, and also connect it to something bigger, namely our form of life.

Insty

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 05:52 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;129743 wrote:
Can you mention one or two? You are so definite about it. I gave an example of (what I considered not learning something new, and I can give more if you like).

If you want examples for the sake of clarification, I could come up with some, but I certainly can't come up with anything as good as Winch and company, so it would seem like a waste of time.

On the other hand, if you want examples because you doubt my claim that a person can come to know new things on W's view, examples shouldn't be necessary. It should be pretty clear from his writings.

As I mentioned before, W is constantly emphasizing the complexity and variety of our linguistic practices. It's by examining these practices that we come to understand what concepts and expressions mean. Given the complexity and variety of our language games, it would be odd to think that we could never learn something new by paying close attention to how the games are played. There's plenty of stuff that goes on when we do things like pray, confess, propose, etc., etc., that we're unaware of because we've never paid any attention to it.

I can't see any basis for attributing to W the extreme view that we can never learn things we don't already know. This view might have made sense for Plato, given his views about the soul and so forth. Obviously, W doesn't share Plato's view on this point (or on many other points). To attribute such a rigid view to W would be to suggest that he had some epistemological theory to advance. He didn't. His simply tells us to look at our linguistic intercourse with one another in all its subtlety and to see how it works. If a person is unable to learn new things -- about words, expressions, and about our form of life -- by engaging in this kind of inquiry, he's doing it wrong.

kennethamy

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 06:04 pm
@Insty,
Insty;129757 wrote:
If you want examples for the sake of clarification, I could come up with some, but I certainly can't come up with anything as good as Winch and company, so it would seem like a waste of time.

On the other hand, if you want examples because you doubt my claim that a person can come to know new things on W's view, examples shouldn't be necessary. It should be pretty clear from his writings.

As I mentioned before, W is constantly emphasizing the complexity and variety of our linguistic practices. It's by examining these practices that we come to understand what concepts and expressions mean. Given the complexity and variety of our language games, it would be odd to think that we could never learn something new by paying close attention to how the games are played. There's plenty of stuff that goes on when we do things like pray, confess, propose, etc., etc., that we're unaware of because we've never paid any attention to it.

I can't see any basis for attributing to W the extreme view that we can never learn things we don't already know. This view might have made sense for Plato, given his views about the soul and so forth. Obviously, W doesn't share Plato's view on this point (or on many other points). To attribute such a rigid view to W would be to suggest that he had some epistemological theory to advance. He didn't. His simply tells us to look at our linguistic intercourse with one another in all its subtlety and to see how it works. If a person is unable to learn new things -- about words, expressions, and about our form of life -- by engaging in this kind of inquiry, he's doing it wrong.

Well, examples of what you think is true would really help to substantiate your claim. And the absence of examples, although not showing that your claim is false, don't encourage me to believe it is true, especially when I have advanced the contrary claim. You can understand that, of course. Could you give me even one of the examples of philosophers you have mentioned? It certainly does not help to insist on the truth of what you say with no argument to support it. Perhaps you would like to say what you think is wrong with my example of not learning something new in philosophy?

Insty

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 06:31 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;129759 wrote:
Well, examples of what you think is true would really help to substantiate your claim. And the absence of examples, although not showing that your claim is false, don't encourage me to believe it is true, especially when I have advanced the contrary claim. You can understand that, of course. Could you give me even one of the examples of philosophers you have mentioned? It certainly does not help to insist on the truth of what you say with no argument to support it. Perhaps you would like to say what you think is wrong with my example of not learning something new in philosophy?

The reason that I have commended the examples to your attention, rather than trying to restate them myself, is that they are much too rich and detailed to be summarized in any useful way. Again, this is to be expected, since details are so important on W's view. If you don't believe me, so be it. I'm not really interested in debating the point. I'm just offering resources for people who are interested.

I think I've already given some reasons for thinking that your understanding of W is incorrect: it runs contrary to so much of what is central to his thought; he certainly never says anything like "people can't learn anything new;" he wasn't in the business of making such pronouncements; and so forth.

As for your original comparison with Plato/Socrates:

kennethamy;129634 wrote:

I would think that most educated people have heard of Wittgenstein. He has been quite influential outside of philosophy, particularly his notion of "language games". It fits into the prevailing idealist ethos.

Although you didn't attribute the "knowledge implies truth" view to W, I wanted to point out that (the later) W never held such a view, and that approaching concepts such as "knowledge" in the way you describe is antithetical to his position. If you disagree -- and I'm not sure that you do -- it would be an important thing to get clear about.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 10:41:16