Does anyone of you think the world can change?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Caroline

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 03:19 pm
@BeatsMeWhy,
BMW you can only try, what else is there to do and you might just be in for a wonderful surprise.
Thanks.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 03:29 pm
@Caroline,
And if you don't try, what else are you going to do with this life?

kennethamy

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 06:47 pm
@richrf,
richrf;90004 wrote:
Yes, I agree. Before trying to change others, let's first see if we can change ourselves.

Rich

Into what?......

Caroline

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 07:38 pm
@BeatsMeWhy,
Yeah into what, just be.

Shlomo

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 04:02 am
@BeatsMeWhy,
I think philosophy does not really have a practical goal. People, including those involved in social process, may implicitly or explicitly use any philosophy for any goal.

Darkpoet

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 05:28 am
@BeatsMeWhy,
Yes, I think the the world can change, but not only thinking alone can make the world change into the better. We have a large amount of possibilities on how we can turn the world for the better. If we only apply ourselves and work hand in hand, with a similar goal, for us to reach our destination.

Only "If" we apply ourselves, but I think our mere human nature shall get the best of us, since we would endure harsh trials and these trials will decide if we ever succeed in our goal.

To change the world is a big job to do, and there will be occurrences that will make us leave and, most probably, give-up.

But Yes, the world can change, it only depends if we do...

BeatsMeWhy

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 07:22 am
@Darkpoet,
Darkpoet;91217 wrote:
Yes, I think the the world can change, but not only thinking alone can make the world change into the better. We have a large amount of possibilities on how we can turn the world for the better. If we only apply ourselves and work hand in hand, with a similar goal, for us to reach our destination.

Only "If" we apply ourselves, but I think our mere human nature shall get the best of us, since we would endure harsh trials and these trials will decide if we ever succeed in our goal.

To change the world is a big job to do, and there will be occurrences that will make us leave and, most probably, give-up.

Well, the fact is that even if we knew the best way to interact for society to improve -and we don't, else there wouldn't be such a variety of laws an morals- we certainly wouldn't know how to make universal the best possible behaviour. Even it's possible that we weren't able to make it individual.

I think it's quite common to be unable to stop doing something that you can easily see is bad for you.

I don't think evolution has been so precise as to give us pleasure just for the strategies that are the best for us. I don't think either that the education we receive helps much to correct the failures.

Can you imagine how frustrating it would be to know how the perfect society should be organised and to be unable not only to enlighten others, but to act yourself the way you know to be the best?

So I think the most important piece of unknown truth there is may very well be the way to learn to take pleasure in what is correct (good for you), and not to take it in what is wrong (bad for you).

Of course, I say all this (correct == good for you, wrong == bad for you) because I have the intuition, certainly not the mathematical proof, that cooperation is good for all the individuals involved. I don't think a society of people that can calculate the best strategy each for himself and know all the rest are able to do the same thing would turn out to be a chaotic criminal mess.

TickTockMan

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 09:41 am
@BeatsMeWhy,
BMW;91018 wrote:

What really worries me, given I think no Deus ex machina is able to take all of us out of the present mess, is whether it is possible or not to reach the essential knowledge (even if it exists) that would allow us to fix things.

Even if we know how to fix things, I'm not sure about our ability to transmit the knowledge to as many people as necessary to really change something.

Sometimes, depending on which mask I'm wearing on a particular day, I like to think that nothing needs to be fixed, because everything is happening exactly the way it is supposed to. Please don't confuse this with saying "everything happens for a reason." They are not the same thing.

Sometimes, I also wonder why we so often think it's our job to always be fixing things.

Khethil

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 09:45 am
@BeatsMeWhy,
BMW;89964 wrote:
I mean, of course, if there is anyone in here that thinks that thinking is the way to discover how to redirect society to improve it.

Or if you think that philosophy's goal is just to understand what happens, not to modify it.

Both

Discovering different ways of thinking, different belief systems, the pro's and con's of various knowledge systems, etc all combine to change one's perspective. Our opinions; even our actions are all influenced by the perspectives we carry. These bleed over to others by what we embrace, what we reject and the axes we grind; affecting everyone we come in contact with.

So I'd answer an emphatic: yes, and yes

Caroline

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 11:49 am
@BeatsMeWhy,
I took all the bits out of everything I need, religion, philosophy, films, you name I did it, but it's my philosophy and my religion combined from all of them because if you look closely and ya all know it the are all saying the SAME THING!

manored

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 12:32 pm
@Darkpoet,
Darkpoet;91217 wrote:
It also depends of what others are doing... remember pink panther: You cant paint the world pure blue if there is someone trying to paint it pure pink =)

TickTockMan;91274 wrote:
Sometimes, depending on which mask I'm wearing on a particular day, I like to think that nothing needs to be fixed, because everything is happening exactly the way it is supposed to. Please don't confuse this with saying "everything happens for a reason." They are not the same thing.

Sometimes, I also wonder why we so often think it's our job to always be fixing things.
True, my views of the world also change with my mood =)

I suppose its because broken things tend to anoy us.

Caroline;91322 wrote:
I took all the bits out of everything I need, religion, philosophy, films, you name I did it, but it's my philosophy and my religion combined from all of them because if you look closely and ya all know it the are all saying the SAME THING!
Indeed, lots of people discuss over different ideas that actually dont need any discussion over, such as tastes.

chad3006

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 12:35 pm
@BeatsMeWhy,
society will reluctantly change when the last tree is felled, from the last rain forest, to make lumber to panel the unused library of the richest man on earth. And he will heat his opulent home with the cheapest, most abundant fuel on earth--human corpses.

Caroline

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 12:44 pm
@BeatsMeWhy,
When the last tree is felled Chad it'll be too late, I mean think about it, it makes sense. Logic!
Thanks.

chad3006

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 12:49 pm
@Caroline,
Caroline;91351 wrote:
When the last tree is felled Chad it'll be too late, I mean think about it, it makes sense. Logic!
Thanks.Smile

For us, it will be too late, but not for someone/something else.

Caroline

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 12:55 pm
@BeatsMeWhy,
What do you mean Chad please?

---------- Post added 09-18-2009 at 01:56 PM ----------

It'll all be too late for everyone! Think about it.

---------- Post added 09-18-2009 at 01:56 PM ----------

It makes sense does it not?

chad3006

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 01:38 pm
@BeatsMeWhy,
Humanity will either become extinct, or evolve into something that can live on whatever version of the earth is left. Even if humanity becomes extinct, chances are good that some simpler form of life will continue on without us, and thus the whole process begins again.

TickTockMan

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 01:41 pm
@Caroline,
Caroline;91322 wrote:

Who is saying the same thing? And what is the same thing that they are referring to?

Caroline;91351 wrote:
Thanks.

I've thought about it, and I can't figure out what you mean. Too late for who or what?

Caroline

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 02:00 pm
@BeatsMeWhy,
TickTock the clock is ticking, please you figure it out. I've explained all I can for now, may be a bit later?
Thanks.

TickTockMan

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 02:10 pm
@Caroline,
Caroline;91431 wrote:
TickTock the clock is ticking, please you figure it out. I've explained all I can for now, may be a bit later?
Thanks.

No. I must know this instant.

I'm kidding, of course. I'll try to figure out your meaning, but as
many have pointed out, I'm a bit thick-witted. Much like Zoolander.

Caroline

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 02:33 pm
@BeatsMeWhy,
You're not, you're actually quite funny TickTock. We can take a closer look later if that's ok with you? Only I have to eat.
Thanks.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 07:22:23