Humans are weak.

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

wayne

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 05:51 am
@Fido,
Fido;144510 wrote:
Isn't is said that our reach exceeds our grasp???...It is in our ability to complete with our imaginations all objects we cannot grasp because of experiance with objects we can grasp, so it is possible to know more than we can say we know, and know more than we can prove, and acting upon presumptions -push out our limits...We can by the same measure be in error, as we are with all infinites, and there our very ignorance embraced proves a detriment and a prison... But of the material world we can always project with reason the known on to the unknown, not to know more, but to learn more, and in this fashion the veil of ignorance is always pushed back...

So temporary limits are limits, or illusion, or error. Just where is it that we say, this is it we can go no further?

kennethamy

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 05:59 am
@Jebediah,
Jebediah;139708 wrote:
As you have phrased it here, this sounds like a good thing. Do you mean, we will find an answer that matches up with our biases and believe it whether it is true or not? The desire to settle questions makes us grasp at the first thing we come across, just to ease the discomfort of not having an answer?

But don't you fall victim to your own argument here? You are stating that these things are true, you are agreeing with them, you have a theory that you evidently believe. You have an "answer" to the urge that people have to philosophize--you say that it is a time wasting exercise. Shouldn't you be able to live without that theory?

I agree that we are often too eager to accept answers. But it seems that this is what you are doing. Too eagerly accepting the answer that philosophies are a time wasting exercise.

At the very least, keeping the brain active has been shown to be good for your mental health Wink

How many different things have been said to be time-wasting? Art, music, mathematical research, religion, making love, caring for those one loves, chess. In fact, I cannot think of many exercises people do that others have not thought of as time-wasting. Makes you think that maybe it is a waste of time to discuss the matter.

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 06:25 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;144518 wrote:
How many different things have been said to be time-wasting? Art, music, mathematical research, religion, making love, caring for those one loves, chess. In fact, I cannot think of many exercises people do that others have not thought of as time-wasting. Makes you think that maybe it is a waste of time to discuss the matter.

I myself suffer from an urge to be pro-ductive. Up-bringing and nurture

Knowing to share pleasure is my first aim; secondly responability so we can make just & balanced decissions

Art is never a waste. Timeless admiration...

Pepijn Sweep
Magister aan't IJ

froach

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 06:31 am
@Pepijn Sweep,
wouldn't you say they were all are, arts?

a mathemation might see same beauty in numbers as you see in a painting?

timeless continuting

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 11:22 am
@froach,
froach;144535 wrote:
wouldn't you say they were all are, arts?

a mathemation might see same beauty in numbers as you see in a painting?

timeless continuting

I just red 4/5 of humaniod specie became extinct last 50-000 years or so
Scary
:perplexed:

froach

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 12:01 pm
@Pepijn Sweep,
where did you read that?

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 12:25 pm
@froach,
Dutch Newspaper Parool

Fido

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 01:07 pm
@wayne,
wayne;144515 wrote:
So temporary limits are limits, or illusion, or error. Just where is it that we say, this is it we can go no further?

With death, with physical limits, and with limits of knowledge; for nothing is more immediate than a need beyond satisfaction waiting on hypothosis, theories, experiment and example to be brought to light... The acumulation of knowledge is a slow process no matter what subject is considered...Progress of any sort waits on ignorance to make up its mind...

froach

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 01:08 pm
@Pepijn Sweep,
Pepijn Sweep;144679 wrote:
Dutch Newspaper Parool

you got a web link?

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 01:12 pm
@froach,
U speak Dutch ?I mean: Parole ?

froach

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 01:53 pm
@Pepijn Sweep,
nope but thats what google translate is for:bigsmile:

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 03:14 pm
@froach,
froach;144773 wrote:
nope but thats what google translate is for:bigsmile:

Then use Google :Het Parool Amsterdam

Newspaper etb. during War !

It was just striking me odd fact. 4 Type of homonoids died out. Floradwarfs, Ne-anthaler, Javaman and...Chinese type.

Hope you find it. Can send clipping...

Fido

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 03:26 pm
@pondfish,
Parole around here is a legal condition, part of rehabilitation, where you give your word, like they used to say in the West, Parley, make a deal... Comes from New France, when they owned Louisiana, the whole prize...That is something we have lost...The ability to make a deal out of words...

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 04:04 pm
@Fido,
Fido;144818 wrote:
Parole around here is a legal condition, part of rehabilitation, where you give your word, like they used to say in the West, Parley, make a deal... Comes from New France, when they owned Louisiana, the whole prize...That is something we have lost...The ability to make a deal out of words...

yeb

:bigsmile: Bush III:lol:

froach

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 04:15 pm
@Pepijn Sweep,
I can find the news paper but not the story:surrender:

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 04:19 pm
@froach,
froach;144842 wrote:
I can find the news paper but not the story:surrender:

I just got fired from House-Keeping !
Yeah, day off.

I'll check paper for u

PepI

wayne

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 07:16 am
@Fido,
Fido;144714 wrote:
With death, with physical limits, and with limits of knowledge;...

Once again, percieved limits. We are always pushing past our limits, check out x-treme sports if you doubt,new science every day, of death we cannot know what lies beyond, but it seems more resonable to believe it works much like everything else here on this ball of dirt.

Quote:

Yes, we wait, the need is eternal, no end in sight. The answers which we have not found but are still seeking.

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 07:58 am
@wayne,
wayne;145125 wrote:
Once again, percieved limits. We are always pushing past our limits, check out x-treme sports if you doubt,new science every day, of death we cannot know what lies beyond, but it seems more resonable to believe it works much like everything else here on this ball of dirt.

Quote:

Yes, we wait, the need is eternal, no end in sight. The answers which we have not found but are still seeking.

[CENTER]:bigsmile:
Getting the Answers depends on the Way you Question the Univers, or Omniverse.
I love to try Out things; not allways works Out well.

In many religions it is the Aim to Understand God(s); I like the Hermatic tradition. It has roots in Old religions and a certain Hellenistic Order.
In Amsterdam we live well. There are problems, but we manage. Religieus people are respected and we expect them to accept our Laws.

Freedom of Speeck is a big issue here. The Queen has none.

Love local radio ! Go North-Holland :lol:Go Go

Yolly Pepijn S>H<Sweep's
Logic under the Carpet
[/CENTER]

wayne

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 08:03 am
@Pepijn Sweep,
Pepijn Sweep;145133 wrote:

[CENTER]:bigsmile:
Getting the Answers depends on the Way you Question the Univers, or Omniverse.
I love to try Out things; not allways works Out well.[/CENTER]

[CENTER]In many religions it is the Aim to Understand God(s); I like the Hermatic tradition. It has roots in Old religions and a certain Hellenistic Order.
In Amsterdam we live well. There are problems, but we manage. Religieus people are respected and we expect them to accept our Laws.[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Freedom of Speeck is a big issue here. The Queen has none.[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Love local radio ! Go North-Holland :lol:Go Go[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Yolly Pepijn S>H<Sweep's
Logic under the Carpet[/CENTER]
[/QUOTE]

I think that my aim is to improve my perception of what is really happening to me on this spinning ball of dirt. :perplexed:

Fido

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 09:11 am
@wayne,
wayne;145125 wrote:

Quote:

All right... For example; let me see you get past death...It is not reasonable to presume anything of infinites... As the Greek said; as children of Promaetheus we have the power of foresight, and blind ourselves with hope against hope...In knowing life we know the past, and it is folly to project the past onto our sense of the future to know calm...

Rather, we should see the signs, accept the obvious, and stay always ready to react, and adapt... So admit you know nothing of death, or even of the power of ignorance over the lives of men and over human kind...In truth, we would do but little if we grasped the extent of our ignorance, and yet we do all we do out of ignorance, relying on luck to preserve us...

Yet why should individuals do better than their governments, or governments do better than their people??? If we would abandon hope, and act upon knowledge our futures would all be more secure, but instead we trust in God which is the same as surrendering ourselves to fate...

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 07/26/2024 at 08:27:48