Believing, Knowing, and Certainty 1-20

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Fido

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 10:29 am
@Ding an Sich,
Ding_an_Sich;152799 wrote:
Just because we change doesnt mean that we are infinite.

Yes it does, because if you are not definite, you cannot be defined, and if you are always in flux then you are not finished with change and no one, not even you can say of your self what you are... And then you die and it means nothing...We are not objects... We cannot say what life is though we conceive of ourselves spiritually... To try to say what anyone is, is not knowledge, but is an insult...

kennethamy

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 10:33 am
@Ding an Sich,
Ding_an_Sich;152805 wrote:
No it doesnt have anything to do with the OP so lets deal with something involving what has been aforementioned in the OP. We should only doubt if there is an answer to that doubt correct? That was something else I wanted to bring up. And also when is it legitimate to doubt?

I don't know that is true. But I think we should doubt only when there is a reason to doubt. It is legitimate to doubt when there is a reason to doubt.

Fido

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 01:09 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;152813 wrote:
I don't know that is true. But I think we should doubt only when there is a reason to doubt. It is legitimate to doubt when there is a reason to doubt.

After all the mistakes humanity has made out of certainty should we not doubt as a matter of course??? We should not say we know without a great deal of reason...And then we should doubt that we indeed do know...

Reconstructo

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 01:15 pm
@Fido,
Fido;152810 wrote:
Yes it does, because if you are not definite, you cannot be defined, and if you are always in flux then you are not finished with change and no one, not even you can say of your self what you are... And then you die and it means nothing...We are not objects... We cannot say what life is though we conceive of ourselves spiritually... To try to say what anyone is, is not knowledge, but is an insult...

I think this is a deep statement. We are not objects. And this is why I like a negative ontology. We are always negating ourselves, re-synthesizing ourselves. And I think this ties in with the O.P.

Is certainty just the name of a feeling? Is doubt just ambivalence, being of "two minds?"
I hear humans all the time tell me they "know" things that I do not hold true. Thus war, political parties, etc. And rhetoric loves to call itself logic.

Khethil

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 03:23 pm
@Ding an Sich,
I've been interested in this for quite some time. I have a blog entry of my basic view (here) as well as this post here (which deals with belief in a theological context).

kennethamy

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 03:54 pm
@Fido,
Fido;152898 wrote:
After all the mistakes humanity has made out of certainty should we not doubt as a matter of course??? We should not say we know without a great deal of reason...And then we should doubt that we indeed do know...

Why should we doubt we know when, in fact, we do know? I know that Quito is the capital of Ecuador. I do not doubt I know it. What reason would there be for my doubting I know it. (That I thought I knew in the past, but been mistaken is not a good reason).

Amperage

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 04:02 pm
@Ding an Sich,
I think GoshisDead made a good point in the other thread similar to this and that basically was this:

knowledge about something is a claim....a claim that hinges on any justification one assumes is sufficient to make the knowledge claim.

based on what people could observe during earlier centuries, they assumed they had sufficient reason to claim they KNEW the earth was flat.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 04:08 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;152964 wrote:
I think GoshisDead made a good point in the other thread similar to this and that basically was this:

knowledge about something is a claim....a claim that hinges on any justification one assumes is sufficient to make the knowledge claim.

Knowledge is not a claim. The claim to know is a claim. When I say that I know, then I am claiming to know. But it is knowledge that is what I claim. It is not, itself a claim. Suppose I claim to have a million dollars. The million dollars (if it exists) is not, itself, the claim. The claim is that I have a million dollars. You have to distinguish between what it is you are claiming, and the claim itself. They are not the same thing. And what is justified is the knowledge claim. Not knowledge.

Amperage

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 04:10 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;152965 wrote:
Knowledge is not a claim. The claim to know is a claim. When I say that I know, then I am claiming to know. But it is knowledge that is what I claim. It is not, itself a claim. Suppose I claim to have a million dollars. The million dollars (if it exists) is not, itself, the claim. The claim is that I have a million dollars. You have to distinguish between what it is you are claiming, and the claim itself. They are not the same thing. And what is justified is the knowledge claim. Not knowledge.
yes. I understand that...

You claim to know that Quito is the capital of Ecuador because you assume you have sufficient justification for doing so. Probably based on what you've personally been told and things you've personally read.

however, if you started reading things that said Quito was NOT the capital of Ecuador and several people started telling you that Quito was NOT the capital of Ecuador, then you might start to doubt that claim of knowledge

Extrain

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 05:32 pm
@Amperage,
kennethamy;152965 wrote:

Amperage;152967 wrote:

You claim to know that Quito is the capital of Ecuador because you assume you have sufficient justification for doing so. Probably based on what you've personally been told and things you've personally read.

however, if you started reading things that said Quito was NOT the capital of Ecuador and several people started telling you that Quito was NOT the capital of Ecuador, then you might start to doubt that claim of knowledge

Sure, one can doubt what one knows based on new testimony and newly written things. But this scenario has no bearing on the fact that he still knows P so long as he is still justified in believing that P and P is true.

New testimony and other newly written things can undercut his justification for believing that P only if that new testimony is sufficiently weighty to defeat his previous reasons for believing that Quito is the capital of Ecuador.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 05:38 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;152967 wrote:

Well, it would depend on what I was reading. But even if I began to doubt that I knew that the capital was Quito, what difference would that make? I would still know it even if I doubted I knew it. I don't have to believe I know something in order for me to know it.

Amperage

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 05:44 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;152994 wrote:
Well, it would depend on what I was reading. But even if I began to doubt that I knew that the capital was Quito, what difference would that make? I would still know it even if I doubted I knew it. I don't have to believe I know something in order for me to know it.
yes that's true it's also true that what you claim you know has no bearing on whether what you claim to know is true

kennethamy

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 05:48 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;152997 wrote:
yes that's true but what you claim you know has no bearing on whether what you know is true

Of course. And my claim to know may be false. So that is a good reason to think that my claim to know is not identical with knowing. For I may claim to know and not know.

Extrain

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 05:52 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;153000 wrote:
Of course. And my claim to know may be false. So that is a good reason to think that my claim to know is not identical with knowing. For I may claim to know and not know.

...and to add...one may claim to know that P, and that claim be false, even though you believe that P and P is true, if you are not justified in believing that P--just as one may claim to know that P, and that claim be false, such that you are still justified in believing that P, though P is false.

Fido

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 08:26 pm
@Extrain,
Extrain;152990 wrote:
Sure, one can doubt what one knows based on new testimony and newly written things. But this scenario has no bearing on the fact that he still knows P so long as he is still justified in believing that P and P is true.

New testimony and other newly written things can undercut his justification for believing that P only if that new testimony is sufficiently weighty to defeat his previous reasons for believing that Quito is the capital of Ecuador.

Testimony and belief do not equal knowledge, but they do support or undercut certainty... What does it take to disprove the obvious fact that the earth is flat??? So what if it is spherical because it is for all practical purposes, flat... Even the mountains which tickle the sky and take our breath away are such insignificant blips on the earth that the must be exagerated on topigraphical maps or the would seem as nothing to the flatness of the earth...Because we are so small, and the earth is so large, its curve is too is insignificant, and if it does not signify, it has no meaning... Certainty is the enemy of knowledge because it robs us of the need to look beyond the veil of the known to the unknown...

Extrain

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 10:01 pm
@Fido,
Fido;153052 wrote:
Testimony and belief do not equal knowledge, but they do support or undercut certainty... What does it take to disprove the obvious fact that the earth is flat???So what if it is spherical because it is for all practical purposes, flat...

Again, certainty is not knowledge. So what difference does this make?

Fido;153052 wrote:
Even the mountains which tickle the sky and take our breath away are such insignificant blips on the earth that the must be exagerated on topigraphical maps or the would seem as nothing to the flatness of the earth...Because we are so small, and the earth is so large, its curve is too is insignificant, and if it does not signify, it has no meaning... Certainty is the enemy of knowledge because it robs us of the need to look beyond the veil of the known to the unknown...

How is any of this relevant to what I said? A person can still know that P so long as there are no potential defeaters for one's reasons for believing that P, and P is true.

Amperage

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 10:09 pm
@Extrain,
Extrain;153065 wrote:
Again, certainty is not knowledge. So what difference does this make?

How is any of this relevant to what I said? A person can still know that P so long as there are no potential defeaters for one's reasons for believing that P, and P is true.
I think the point he may be shedding is that one can NEVER know in the absolute sense.....one can only claim to know based on an assumption of sufficient justification. And the minute we claim to know something, is usually the minute we cease exploring other options. So in the event that what we claim we know is false, we have negated our willingness to keep looking(for example people saw no need to question if the world was flat....since they KNEW it was).

Now it may very well be the case that one' s claim to know is correct....but it would be merely a coincidence.....well coincidence is probably not the right word but I can't seem to think of the right one at this moment

at least that's what I think he was getting at

Extrain

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 10:18 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;153066 wrote:
I think the point he may be shedding is that one can NEVER know in the absolute sense.....one can only claim to know based on an assumption of sufficient justification.

I don't think that's right. You mean to say that no one can ever be certain in any absolute sense. But surely, one can still know that P if one has indefeasible justification for believing that P.

I may not be certain Quito is the capital of Ecuador, but I can still know that it is if Quito is, in fact, the capital of Ecuador and I have no good reason to doubt this.

Amperage;153066 wrote:
Now it may very well be the case that one does indeed know....but it would be merely a coincidence.

I don't think that's right either. No one can ever "know" something by coincidence. If someone believes that P, and P is true, one may still not have sufficient warrant for believing that P--just as your local fortune-teller may come to the belief that you will die in a fatal car accident one day, and happen to be correct--but no reasonable person would countenance that the fortune-teller "knew" this, even if he or she were right (assuming you don't think staring into a crystal ball is a source of knowledge).

kennethamy

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 10:19 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;153066 wrote:
I think the point he may be shedding is that one can NEVER know in the absolute sense.....one can only claim to know based on an assumption of sufficient justification.

Now it may very well be the case that one' s claim to know is correct....but it would be merely a coincidence.

If by "know in an absolute sens" you mean know with certainty, then Extrain has already pointed out that certainty is not possible. Of course, sufficient justification is a necessary condition of knowing. As I have pointed out, claiming to know, and knowing are not the same thing, for you can claim to know and not know, or conversely. So, if that is what you mean by "coincidence" above, that is true. But, remember, a claim to know can be justified. And if my claim to know is justified, then if my claim is correct (if I do know) that is not a coincidence. (See Extrain's post #78).

Amperage

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 10:21 pm
@Extrain,
Extrain;153067 wrote:
I don't think that's right. You mean to say that no one can ever be certain in any absolute sense. But surely, one can still know that P if one has indefeasible justification for believing that P.

I may not be certain Quito is the capital of Ecuador, but I can still know that it is if Quito is, in fact, the capital of Ecuador and I have no good reason to doubt this.
true. yes, until such time as you have sufficient reason to think otherwise

Extrain;153067 wrote:
I don't think that's right either. No one can ever "know" something by coincidence. If someone believes that P, and P is true, one may still not have sufficient warrant for believing that P--just as your local fortune-teller may come to the belief that you will die in a fatal car accident one day, and happen to be correct--but no one would countenance that the fortune-teller knew this, even if he or she were right (unless, of course, you think staring into a crystal ball is a source of knowledge).
good point.

---------- Post added 04-16-2010 at 11:22 PM ----------

kennethamy;153068 wrote:
But, remember, a claim to know can be justified. And if my claim to know is justified, then if my claim is correct (if I do know) that is not a coincidence. (See Extrain's post #78).
good point....agreed; I didn't think of it from that perspective

------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
but one can think one is justified but not actually be justified.....that's why I mentioned one making the assumption that ones justification IS actually sufficient....

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 08:13:44