Believing, Knowing, and Certainty 1-20

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

kennethamy

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 02:44 pm
@Ding an Sich,
Ding_an_Sich;152460 wrote:
CMA? What is that? Crystal Meth?

No. But you can figure it out. It is a polite way of saying, "avoid difficulty".

Reconstructo

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 04:57 pm
@Ding an Sich,
Ding_an_Sich;152214 wrote:
What I would like to get at is when it is appropriate to say these things (belieing, knowing, and certainty) as well as whether certain words function the same as others e.g. belief and opinion, believing and knowing, etc. Witt probably has cleaned most of this up, but that doesnt mean we shouldnt further investigate.

I feel you. I think I just burnt myself out on this issue, as it was once the center of my attention. Smile

kennethamy

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 06:17 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;152499 wrote:
I feel you. I think I just burnt myself out on this issue, as it was once the center of my attention. Smile

No need to feel anyone (whatever that may mean). I answered all his questions, apparently satisfactorily. He has not made any objections to what I replied. And if you read my replies, you should not concern yourself either, or feel yourself, if that is what the phrase is.

Fido

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 09:32 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;152078 wrote:
What has any of this to do with the issue of the relation between believing and knowing? No wonder people think that philosophers get nowhere. They don't, because they don't care about answering questions. This thread has been a study in what psychologists call free association. It is embarrassing.

Philosophy has made the same mistakes over and over again... It is like groundhog day for the intelligent...We are little advanced from the Greeks...We make a mistake thinking we need to understand, especially of infinites... What we need is enough knowledge to not do evil in the attempt to do good... At that we have failed...

Reconstructo

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 10:13 pm
@Ding an Sich,
Free association....

Well, the point of free association is that it isn't so free, and therefore useful as a reveal er of what the shrinks like to call a complex.

Some see connections that others don't. I like to call this philosophy.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 12:55 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;152633 wrote:
Free association....

Well, the point of free association is that it isn't so free, and therefore useful as a reveal er of what the shrinks like to call a complex.

Some see connections that others don't. I like to call this philosophy.

Seeing connections is very useful for commuters. It is less useful for philosophers. What is useful for philosophers is logic and analysis.

---------- Post added 04-16-2010 at 02:57 AM ----------

Fido;152611 wrote:
Philosophy has made the same mistakes over and over again... It is like groundhog day for the intelligent...We are little advanced from the Greeks...We make a mistake thinking we need to understand, especially of infinites... What we need is enough knowledge to not do evil in the attempt to do good... At that we have failed...

You may be little advanced from the Greeks. Why would you think contemporary philosophers are?

Fido

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 04:44 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;152661 wrote:
Seeing connections is very useful for commuters. It is less useful for philosophers. What is useful for philosophers is logic and analysis.

---------- Post added 04-16-2010 at 02:57 AM ----------

You may be little advanced from the Greeks. Why would you think contemporary philosophers are?

The Greeks were surrounded by Barbarians, and they had the excellent examples of Homer, and yet Plato, who was the first to deal with social institutions in a critical fashion could not make the connection between his society and the societies of the then, near past... I don't doubt, that given a choice between minutia and the greater picture of humanity laid out in time, that most, if not all philosophers get out the magnifying glass and tweezers... The guy who came the closest was Nietzsche, and I think he drew the wrong conclusions... The best of the bunch in some respects was Kant, and he tried to form a morality out of whole cloth...Now, Historians and Anthropologist must look at the larger picture, but how many do, trying to find the larger contexts for the events they see???

kennethamy

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 07:00 am
@Fido,
Fido;152696 wrote:
The Greeks were surrounded by Barbarians, and they had the excellent examples of Homer, and yet Plato, who was the first to deal with social institutions in a critical fashion could not make the connection between his society and the societies of the then, near past... I don't doubt, that given a choice between minutia and the greater picture of humanity laid out in time, that most, if not all philosophers get out the magnifying glass and tweezers... The guy who came the closest was Nietzsche, and I think he drew the wrong conclusions... The best of the bunch in some respects was Kant, and he tried to form a morality out of whole cloth...Now, Historians and Anthropologist must look at the larger picture, but how many do, trying to find the larger contexts for the events they see???

I have no idea what point you are trying to make, or how what you write here has to do with my post.

Fido

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 07:08 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;152728 wrote:
I have no idea what point you are trying to make, or how what you write here has to do with my post.

You asked why I think... I told you why I think; because we cannot get the big picture in our mind in time...And by we, I mean contemporary philosophers, and I do exclude myself from that list because to know anything I had to put it together as a great cyclorama...

kennethamy

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 07:09 am
@Fido,
Fido;152733 wrote:
You asked why I think... I told you why I think; because we cannot get the big picture in our mind in time...

I did not ask you that. What makes you believe I did?

Ding an Sich

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 07:11 am
@Fido,
Fido;152733 wrote:
You asked why I think... I told you why I think; because we cannot get the big picture in our mind in time...

That may be true, but I dont think you addressed the question Ken put up.

Fido

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 07:13 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;152735 wrote:
I did not ask you that. What makes you believe I did?

Did you not say: why would you think...??? I told you why I would think that... But I am not up to the last minute on philosophers, and so it is a weak spot I will admit...

---------- Post added 04-16-2010 at 09:14 AM ----------

Ding_an_Sich;152737 wrote:
That may be true, but I dont think you addressed the question Ken put up.

Splain it to me...

kennethamy

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 07:17 am
@Fido,
Fido;152738 wrote:
Did you not say: why would you think...??? I told you why I would think that... But I am not up to the last minute on philosophers, and so it is a weak spot I will admit...

---------- Post added 04-16-2010 at 09:14 AM ----------

Splain it to me...

So how is that stuff about "big picture" a reply to my question?

Fido

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 07:28 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;152742 wrote:
So how is that stuff about "big picture" a reply to my question?

It is probably because you do not get the big picture of the life of human kind that you are not great at this and have no more to add to philosophy than contemporary philosophers...Our progress has been the lack of progress...

Ding an Sich

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 07:48 am
@Fido,
Fido;152747 wrote:
It is probably because you do not get the big picture of the life of human kind that you are not great at this and have no more to add to philosophy than contemporary philosophers...Our progress has been the lack of progress...

How can any individual get the big picture of life if we are finite?

Fido

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 08:15 am
@Ding an Sich,
Ding_an_Sich;152750 wrote:
How can any individual get the big picture of life if we are finite?

We are not finite... We are the river that is never the same river twice...It only adds to the complexity of the situation that from the moving perspective of life we must perceive all of life which has always been fluid and is yet fluid...

kennethamy

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 08:29 am
@Fido,
Fido;152747 wrote:

Of course! Why did I not think of that? (Maybe because what you say here begs the question?)

Ding an Sich

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 10:06 am
@Fido,
Fido;152754 wrote:
We are not finite... We are the river that is never the same river twice...It only adds to the complexity of the situation that from the moving perspective of life we must perceive all of life which has always been fluid and is yet fluid...

Just because we change doesnt mean that we are infinite.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 10:10 am
@Ding an Sich,
Ding_an_Sich;152799 wrote:
Just because we change doesnt mean that we are infinite.

Has any of this anything to do with the OP? Anything at all? Or is this an illustration of why people who complain about there not being progress in philosophy are, themselves, to blame for that, because they are constantly in the throes of diversion and free association?

Ding an Sich

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 10:18 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;152801 wrote:
Has any of this anything to do with the OP? Anything at all? Or is this an illustration of why people who complain about there not being progress in philosophy are, themselves, to blame for that, because they are constantly in the throes of diversion and free association?

No it doesnt have anything to do with the OP so lets deal with something involving what has been aforementioned in the OP. We should only doubt if there is an answer to that doubt correct? That was something else I wanted to bring up. And also when is it legitimate to doubt?

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 04:15:55