Is knowing a mental event?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

kennethamy

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2009 06:25 pm
@ACB,
ACB;104558 wrote:
I have been considering the Gettier problem further, and I would like to approach it from a slightly different angle. I have been arguing up to now that Smith is not justified in believing that the man who will get the job has ten coins in his pocket, on the grounds that justification is not transitive. However, I have a further objection to Gettier's argument.

Consider the underlined statement above. It could mean (inter alia) either of the following things:

1. The man who will get the job, Jones, has ten coins in his pocket.

2. The man who will get the job, Smith, has ten coins in his pocket.

The first is justified but not true; the second is true but not justified. So there is no single belief that is both justified and true; hence the JTB condition is not met. The underlined statement above is really a catch-all formula for (at least) two different beliefs. Smith is not justified in believing the underlined statement simpliciter, as its scope is too wide. He is only justified in believing (1) above - and (1) is false.

But why cannot a false belief be justified? Gettier assumes that a false belief can be justified. That is because he assumes non-deductive justification. If we assume that only deductive justification justifies, then the Gettier problem simply vanishes. But if we assume that only deductive justification is justificatory, then scientific knowledge vanishes, since scientific knowledge is based on non-deductive justification. So we can rid ourselves of the Gettier problem, but at the cost of scientific knowledge.

ACB

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2009 07:02 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;104560 wrote:
But why cannot a false belief be justified?

I was not claiming that. How can you have thought I was? I specifically said "the first [statement] is justified but not true".

My point was to refute Gettier's claim that JTB is insufficient for knowledge. He claims that Smith has JTB of the proposition underlined in my previous post, but not knowledge of it; I claim that Smith does not have JTB, because part of what he believes (the "Jones will get the job" part) is false. So Gettier has not produced a counter-example to the JTB criterion of knowledge.

BrightNoon

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2009 10:27 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;104463 wrote:
What I meant was whether we are directly aware or indirectly aware of trees does not matter to whether or not there are trees, and we are aware of them.

By 'being aware of a tree indirectly' you mean that we are not aware of the 'real tree,' but only of the set of phenomena labelled 'tree,' And that we can infer, from awareness of the existence of that 'tree,' the existence of a corresponding 'real tree.' Correct? If so, then when you conclude that 'there are trees' and 'we are aware of them,' what do you mean? There are certainly 'trees,' it is reasonable to assume that 'real trees' exist, but we certainly are not aware of the latter, at least not in the same way that we are aware of 'trees:' i.e. through experience. Which is to say that 'trees' exist within experience, and 'real trees' exist only as that abstract idea, without any specific detail, also within experience.

Quote:
It may be that trees are an inference from what we are directly aware of (although that needs more examination) but we know many things by inference we do not know non-inferentially, and if you are right, then mostly everything we know is known inferentially, and not directly.

That is probably true.

Quote:
I am not sure I know what you are getting at in the rest of your post. But, what I wanted to say was that if belief is a mental event, then knowledge is not a mental event. My point is that we can detect what we believe by simple introspection of our mental state, but we cannot detect what we know by simple introspection of our mental state. So in the sense that we cannot believe we believe something and not believe it, we can believe we know something, and not know it

But aren't knowledge and belief indistinguishable from the first person perspective, i.e. without third person verification? Are the experiences of believing that the sun is hot and of believing that the sun is an orange any different per se, i.e. regardless of 'veracity' as determined by verification? I contend that they are not different, as experiences per se.

kennethamy

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2009 11:16 pm
@ACB,
ACB;104569 wrote:
I was not claiming that. How can you have thought I was? I specifically said "the first [statement] is justified but not true".

My point was to refute Gettier's claim that JTB is insufficient for knowledge. He claims that Smith has JTB of the proposition underlined in my previous post, but not knowledge of it; I claim that Smith does not have JTB, because part of what he believes (the "Jones will get the job" part) is false. So Gettier has not produced a counter-example to the JTB criterion of knowledge.

I am sorry, but then I must be just missing your point. Could you explain why what he believes is false?

---------- Post added 11-20-2009 at 12:32 AM ----------

BrightNoon;104593 wrote:
By 'being aware of a tree indirectly' you mean that we are not aware of the 'real tree,' but only of the set of phenomena labelled 'tree,' And that we can infer, from awareness of the existence of that 'tree,' the existence of a corresponding 'real tree.' Correct? If so, then when you conclude that 'there are trees' and 'we are aware of them,' what do you mean? There are certainly 'trees,' it is reasonable to assume that 'real trees' exist, but we certainly are not aware of the latter, at least not in the same way that we are aware of 'trees:' i.e. through experience. Which is to say that 'trees' exist within experience, and 'real trees' exist only as that abstract idea, without any specific detail, also within experience.

That is probably true.

But aren't knowledge and belief indistinguishable from the first person perspective, i.e. without third person verification? Are the experiences of believing that the sun is hot and of believing that the sun is an orange any different per se, i.e. regardless of 'veracity' as determined by verification? I contend that they are not different, as experiences per se.

All I mean is that if we do not know directly there is a tree (and I doubt that is true) we know indirectly that there is a tree. But that we know there is a tree in any case. Why the fuss about inferential knowledge rather than direct knowledge. (Of course, when I am standing in front of a tree with my eyes wide open, I know "directly" there is a tree. On the other hand, when someone tells me there is a tree behind me, or (perhaps) when I see the tree's reflection in a clear pond, I know "indirectly" that there is a tree. I am here just falling in with your view that even when we see a tree right in front of us, that we only indirectly see a tree. That view assumes a great deal about perception I don't believe is true).

There are times when I am aware that I merely believe something, and other times I believe that I know something, even from the first person point of view. And sometimes, of course, when I merely believe, I mistakenly believe that I know. I cannot always distinguish between merely believing and not only believing, but also knowing. But I can, sometimes do so. Whenever I know, I believe, but not conversely. And sometimes I can distinguish between the two; and sometimes not. I mean from a "first person pov". Many people claim to believe in God, and also allow that they do not know that God exists.

ACB

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2009 07:44 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;104595 wrote:
I am sorry, but then I must be just missing your point. Could you explain why what he believes is false?

The proposition at issue is:

The man who will get the job has ten coins in his pocket.

The phrase "the man who will get the job" is ambiguous. It could mean any one of the following:
1. whoever will get the job
2. Jones
3. Smith

Smith does not believe (1); he specifically believes (2). So, in none of its three senses does the bolded proposition satisfy the JTB criterion. (1) is not believed (nor, I think, justified); (2) is not true; and (3) is neither believed nor justified.

Smith believes the bolded proposition only if "the man who will get the job" is another name for Jones. And in this sense, the proposition is false.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2009 08:02 am
@ACB,
ACB;104626 wrote:
The proposition at issue is:

The man who will get the job has ten coins in his pocket.

The phrase "the man who will get the job" is ambiguous. It could mean any one of the following:
1. whoever will get the job
2. Jones
3. Smith

Smith does not believe (1); he specifically believes (2). So, in none of its three senses does the bolded proposition satisfy the JTB criterion. (1) is not believed (nor, I think, justified); (2) is not true; and (3) is neither believed nor justified.

Smith believes the bolded proposition only if "the man who will get the job" is another name for Jones. And in this sense, the proposition is false.

I still do not understand why you do not think that Smith believes that the man who will get the job has 10 coins, and why that belief is not both justified and true. He happens to believe that man is Jones, and it isn't. But he still believes that the man with ten coins will get the job, doesn't he? And his belief is justified.

ACB

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2009 08:33 am
@ACB,
Regarding BrightNoon's argument, I broadly agree with what you (kennethamy) say, but I wonder if you could address one particular point. BrightNoon argues that we cannot know the external world (or even whether there is one) by experience, because experience is inside our mind and any external world is outside it, so what is experienced cannot be external, and vice versa. I suspect that there is some kind of logical or semantic fallacy here, but I can't quite put my finger on it.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2009 09:31 am
@ACB,
ACB;104636 wrote:
Regarding BrightNoon's argument, I broadly agree with what you (kennethamy) say, but I wonder if you could address one particular point. BrightNoon argues that we cannot know the external world (or even whether there is one) by experience, because experience is inside our mind and any external world is outside it, so what is experienced cannot be external, and vice versa. I suspect that there is some kind of logical or semantic fallacy here, but I can't quite put my finger on it.

. I think that the phrase, "what is experienced" is ambiguous. It can refer to the experience itself, or it can refer to what the experience signifies. For example, "my experience of computers" can refer either to the internal happening in me, or it can refer to computers. If someone is interviewed for a job, and is asked whether he has "had any computer experience" the person is not being asked about his internal mental states. He is being asked whether he has ever interacted with computers. So, what is experienced can be either internal, or it can be external.

BrightNoon

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2009 11:04 am
@ACB,
ACB;104636 wrote:

I think the logic holds. Let me present it again ultra-simply for discussion.

If the 'external world' is defined as that which exists beyond individual experience, then the external world cannot be a part of or include anything from individual experience.

If an individual is aware only of what is within his experience, and per the above logc no part of the external world exists within experience, then nothing of which he is aware can possibly be something in the external world.

Therefore it is not possible for a individual to be aware of the external world, or any part thereof, in any way. Anything of which he is aware cannot belong to the external world.

So, unless you doubt the premises of the argument (1. the external world is that which exists beyond experience, or 2. an individual is aware only of what exists within his experience), you must accept the conclusion (an individual cannot be aware of the external world in any way).

Does this not follow?

kennethamy;104645 wrote:
. I think that the phrase, "what is experienced" is ambiguous. It can refer to the experience itself, or it can refer to what the experience signifies. For example, "my experience of computers" can refer either to the internal happening in me, or it can refer to computers. If someone is interviewed for a job, and is asked whether he has "had any computer experience" the person is not being asked about his internal mental states. He is being asked whether he has ever interacted with computers. So, what is experienced can be either internal, or it can be external.

What is experienced? Is the set of phenomena labelled computer, which one has experienced, 'what is experienced?' I say yes. The 'real computer,' the thing in the external world that is presumably the cause of those experienced phenomena, is not experienced. If it is part of the external world, it cannot, by definition, be experienced.

The fact we habitually refer to 'the computer' as something other than just the set of experienced phenomena (white, square, buzzing sound etc.), does not mean that we experience the 'real computer' as it exists outside of experience. Again, how would that be possible, for us to experience something which, by definition, is not experienced? Rather, we have in mind the idea, along with the set of phenomena, of 'physical thing' or 'real thing.' This idea is no more than the understanding that the set of phenomena refers to something constant, something 'real' which is the cause of that phenomena, which ensures that, having looked away from the computer and then back again, it will still be there. In other words, we are aware of the 'real computer' only to the extent that 'real computer' is the very idea in experience that it is; we are definately not aware of whatever that idea is supposed to refer to, and we can't say what it is supposed to refer to exactly, except in these general terms (i.e. 'that external thing which is the cause of the experiences called 'computer').
If we say that the 'real thing' is white, has keys, makes a buzzing sound, etc., then we are not any longer talking about the 'real thing' but rather about the set of phenomena.

Emil

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2009 12:08 pm
@BrightNoon,
BrightNoon;104666 wrote:

If the 'external world' is defined as that which exists beyond individual experience, then the external world cannot be a part of or include anything from individual experience.

If an individual is aware only of what is within his experience, and per the above logc no part of the external world exists within experience, then nothing of which he is aware can possibly be something in the external world.

Therefore it is not possible for a individual to be aware of the external world, or any part thereof, in any way. Anything of which he is aware cannot belong to the external world.

So, unless you doubt the premises of the argument (1. the external world is that which exists beyond experience, or 2. an individual is aware only of what exists within his experience), you must accept the conclusion (an individual cannot be aware of the external world in any way).

Does this not follow?

In a sense. (If you remove the unnecessary modality at your conclusion. It does not follow from the premises.)

It is equivocation on the word "aware". Technically the argument type (i.e. of propositions) is d-invalid but the argument appears d-valid because of its sentence structure.

The solution is to distinguish between immediately aware and inferentially aware. No one is immediately aware of anything but sensations, but people are inferentially aware of lots of things.

If you want people to be sure what you're arguing, then feel free to present it in formal logic.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2009 12:17 pm
@BrightNoon,
BrightNoon;104666 wrote:

Therefore it is not possible for a individual to be aware of the external world, or any part thereof, in any way. Anything of which he is aware cannot belong to the external world. You seem to think that we experience only our experiences. Experiences are not what we experience, they are how we experience what we experience.

Does this not follow?

What is experienced? Is the set of phenomena labelled computer, which one has experienced, 'what is experienced?' I say yes. The 'real computer,' the thing in the external world that is presumably the cause of those experienced phenomena, is not experienced. If it is part of the external world, it cannot, by definition, be experienced.

The fact we habitually refer to 'the computer' as something other than just the set of experienced phenomena (white, square, buzzing sound etc.), does not mean that we experience the 'real computer' as it exists outside of experience. Again, how would that be possible, for us to experience something which, by definition, is not experienced? Rather, we have in mind the idea, along with the set of phenomena, of 'physical thing' or 'real thing.' This idea is no more than the understanding that the set of phenomena refers to something constant, something 'real' which is the cause of that phenomena, which ensures that, having looked away from the computer and then back again, it will still be there. In other words, we are aware of the 'real computer' only to the extent that 'real computer' is the very idea in experience that it is; we are definately not aware of whatever that idea is supposed to refer to, and we can't say what it is supposed to refer to exactly, except in these general terms (i.e. 'that external thing which is the cause of the experiences called 'computer').
If we say that the 'real thing' is white, has keys, makes a buzzing sound, etc., then we are not any longer talking about the 'real thing' but rather about the set of phenomena.

How could anyone have computer experience (experience with computers) unless there are computers to experience? (To have experience with?). The computer is not the experience; it is what we experience (just as the stone is not our kick, it is what we kick) the cause of our experience. If it is not the cause of our computer experience, then what is? I have asked you this several times. We have experience, and that is how we know about external objects. The external objects are not the experiences we have. We do not experience our experiences. The experiences are how we experience what we experience. The experiences are not what we experience. We have experiences. We do not experience them.

BrightNoon

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2009 12:20 pm
@Emil,
Emil;104686 wrote:
In a sense. (If you remove the unnecessary modality at your conclusion. It does not follow from the premises.)

It is equivocation on the word "aware". Technically the argument type (i.e. of propositions) is d-invalid but the argument appears d-valid because of its sentence structure.

The solution is to distinguish between immediately aware and inferentially aware. No one is immediately aware of anything but sensations, but people are inferentially aware of lots of things.

If you want people to be sure what you're arguing, then feel free to present it in formal logic.

I prefer words.

words dissemble, words be quick
words resemble walking sticks,
plant them they will grow,
watch them waver so;
I'll always be a word man,
better than a bird man

I disgress...anyway, I disagree with your analysis.

To be 'inferentially aware' is to have an experience of that inference and the experienced phenomena from which it is drawn; to be 'aware immediately' is to have the experienced phenomena only. In either case, the awareness is of experience and not of anything outside experience; that in the former case the inference (as an experience: i.e. thought) is supposed to refer to something outside of experience does not mean that this other thing is actually experienced. Again, only the idea of it as such is experienced. The 'external thing' by definition remains external to experience, and cannot be experienced, though the idea that it exists is experienced (the inference).

Emil

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2009 12:44 pm
@BrightNoon,
BrightNoon;104689 wrote:
I prefer words.

words dissemble, words be quick
words resemble walking sticks,
plant them they will grow,
watch them waver so;
I'll always be a word man,
better than a bird man

I disgress...anyway, I disagree with your analysis.

To be 'inferentially aware' is to have an experience of that inference and the experienced phenomena from which it is drawn; to be 'aware immediately' is to have the experienced phenomena only. In either case, the awareness is of experience and not of anything outside experience; that in the former case the inference (as an experience: i.e. thought) is supposed to refer to something outside of experience does not mean that this other thing is actually experienced. Again, only the idea of it as such is experienced. The 'external thing' by definition remains external to experience, and cannot be experienced, though the idea that it exists is experienced (the inference).

People do not generally recall the inferences that they have drawn in the past but they recall and are i-aware of the conclusions. I think that your 'definition' of "inferentially aware" is wrong:[INDENT]"To be 'inferentially aware' is to have an experience of that inference and the experienced phenomena from which it is drawn"
[/INDENT]As I have pointed out people are often i-aware without being aware of their inferences.

Often they not even by d-aware of the direct (switching words to "direct" instead of "immediate" since it is shorter and starts with "d" so I can use shorthands.) experience that led them to make the inference to some mind-independent thing.

Yes, people are only d-aware of their d-experiences. Nothing about the existence of the external world follows from that.

---------- Post added 11-20-2009 at 07:46 PM ----------

kennethamy;104688 wrote:
How could anyone have computer experience (experience with computers) unless there are computers to experience? (To have experience with?). The computer is not the experience; it is what we experience (just as the stone is not our kick, it is what we kick) the cause of our experience. If it is not the cause of our computer experience, then what is? I have asked you this several times. We have experience, and that is how we know about external objects. The external objects are not the experiences we have. We do not experience our experiences. The experiences are how we experience what we experience. The experiences are not what we experience. We have experiences. We do not experience them.

Are there any alternative explanations of why we have the d-experiences that we have? The only explanation I can come up with is realism. How does the solipsist (try to) explain why we have d-experiences?

BrightNoon

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2009 01:23 pm
@Emil,
Emil;104697 wrote:
People do not generally recall the inferences that they have drawn in the past but they recall and are i-aware of the conclusions. I think that your 'definition' of "inferentially aware" is wrong:
[INDENT]"To be 'inferentially aware' is to have an experience of that inference and the experienced phenomena from which it is drawn"
[/INDENT]As I have pointed out people are often i-aware without being aware of their inferences.

Very well. I didn't mean by 'aware of the inference' that they were neccessarily aware of the act of inferring, the 'logic' of the inference, though they may be. I meant rather that they are aware of what you calling the conclusion of the inference. E.g. If I am i-aware that the sun will rise tommorow, I am aware of at least the concept that the sun will rise tommorow, if not the phenomena of the sun rising on previous days or the logic that led from those phenomena to the above concept. Regardless, to be i-aware is to be aware of experienced phenomena of some kind, and to be d-aware is also to be aware of experienced phenomena of some kind. I would consider both to be sub-sets of what I first called more generally 'awareness.' And the distinction between them doesn't effect my argument because, though being i-aware and d-aware might ential awareness of different sorts of experience (concept or raw sensation), they are both awarenesses of experience, not of the external world beyond experience.

Quote:
Yes, people are only d-aware of their d-experiences. Nothing about the existence of the external world follows from that.

Agreed, and nothing constituting i-awareness is of the external world, though it may 'point' to it.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2009 04:54 pm
@Emil,
Emil;104697 wrote:

Are there any alternative explanations of why we have the d-experiences that we have? The only explanation I can come up with is realism. How does the solipsist (try to) explain why we have d-experiences?

I know of no other plausible explanations. The only plausible explanation of what explains the experiences we have is that they are caused by external objects. That is why I keep asking my question.

Emil

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2009 05:36 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;104734 wrote:
I know of no other plausible explanations. The only plausible explanation of what explains the experiences we have is that they are caused by external objects. That is why I keep asking my question.

I can't even think of a not extremely implausible alternative theory.

Dasein

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2009 05:59 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;

I contend that knowing is not a mental event. When you learned how to tie your shoes it was a mental event up to the point of knowing. At the point of knowing your mental participation was no longer needed. You became transparent.

You know how to breathe. You didn't have to learn so no mental activity is required.

I wrote this little diddy. You might find some humor in it.

When you know, you know, don't you?
You know you know and there's nuthin' you can do about it.
Even if you forget for a moment, you can only forget because you know what you know.
Ain't life amazing?!!!

Dasein

kennethamy

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2009 06:20 pm
@Emil,
Emil;104737 wrote:
I can't even think of a not extremely implausible alternative theory.

There is phenomenalism, which was taken up by the logical positivists for a while.

Phenomenalism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Emil

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2009 07:01 pm
@BrightNoon,
BrightNoon;104706 wrote:
Very well. I didn't mean by 'aware of the inference' that they were neccessarily aware of the act of inferring, the 'logic' of the inference, though they may be. I meant rather that they are aware of what you calling the conclusion of the inference. E.g. If I am i-aware that the sun will rise tommorow, I am aware of at least the concept that the sun will rise tommorow, if not the phenomena of the sun rising on previous days or the logic that led from those phenomena to the above concept. Regardless, to be i-aware is to be aware of experienced phenomena of some kind, and to be d-aware is also to be aware of experienced phenomena of some kind. I would consider both to be sub-sets of what I first called more generally 'awareness.' And the distinction between them doesn't effect my argument because, though being i-aware and d-aware might ential awareness of different sorts of experience (concept or raw sensation), they are both awarenesses of experience, not of the external world beyond experience.

Agreed, and nothing constituting i-awareness is of the external world, though it may 'point' to it.

I see that you did not take my invitation to present your argument in formal logic. Why not?

---------- Post added 11-21-2009 at 03:50 AM ----------

ACB;104491 wrote:
Thanks for your reply. I would say that if you can recite the alphabet quickly and without hesitation, so that you have no time to "work out" anything, you must be relying on your prior beliefs about the individual sequences of adjacent letters. (I can recite the alphabet in less than 4 seconds, so surely I must have these beliefs in my memory all the time.) But it is perfectly possible for someone to recite the alphabet rapidly without immediately having any belief (let alone a justified one) about the order-number of any given letter.

But I don't know all the individual sequences of adjacent letters and yet I can recite the alphabet. Do you think that I am a counter-example to your proposition? I think so. If you asked me what the letters after "g" was I probably couldn't answer you without having to go over some local part of the alphabet. In any case, it is not clear to me that if I can recite the alphabet, then I have beliefs about which letters comes after which letters. (Try reciting the alphabet backwards. That's much harder!)

It seems to me that the alphabet is some special case (in relation to beliefs) because it is a case of grouped information storage in the brain. Scientists have long discovered that people remember things better in patters and especially if some melody can be made out of it (or it rhymes). In the case of the alphabet, many people learn some song with the alphabet in it. In fact I learned it that way. In the song I learned certain letters are repeated. I have to really concentrate to avoid repeating them even when I go over the alphabet in my head!

ACB;104491 wrote:
Another example:
I can be justified in believing the following:
1 + 2 = 3
3 + 4 = 7
5 + 6 = 11
7 + 8 = 15
9 + 10 = 19
without justifiably believing that
1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 + 6 + 7 + 8 + 9 + 10 = 55
because I can carry the two-number sums in my memory without necessarily carrying the ten-number sum. I could give the answers to the two-number sums immediately, but might still (a) fail to believe the ten-number sum, or (b) believe it for a wrong reason (e.g. an incompetent teacher told me it).

This counter-example is actually better than the other one. Even if you did not intend it to be or know why it is! Consider the fact that mathematical truths are non-contingent. That means that any mathematical truth logically implies any other mathematical truth. (Follows from the definition of "logical implication".) But obviously, it is not the case that if someone is e-justified in his belief about any mathematical (any non-contingent true) proposition, then he is e-justified in believing any other mathematical proposition (any non-contingent and true proposition). This seems to me to be a fatal counter-example to the principle under scrutiny.

I think, however, that the principle may be saved with some relevance logic interpretation of "logical implication". I'm not very knowledgeable about that though and it would further derail this thread. The moderators are not doing a good job of separating different information threads (i.e. conversations) in a forum thread.

But let's return to the Gettier case. We now know that the principle underlying his inference in the paper is false. However that does not mean that some instance of the principle is not true. Indeed I think it is true in his case. So his counter-example(s) still work.

Do you think that it is false that:[INDENT]"if Smith is e-justified in believing (1) and (2), then he is e-justified in believing (3)" (almost a direct quote, but I changed it a bit)
[/INDENT]In the case you do, why do you do that?

----

I blogged about this here.

Emil

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2009 09:32 pm
@ACB,
ACB;104558 wrote:
I have been considering the Gettier problem further, and I would like to approach it from a slightly different angle. I have been arguing up to now that Smith is not justified in believing that the man who will get the job has ten coins in his pocket, on the grounds that justification is not transitive. However, I have a further objection to Gettier's argument.

Consider the underlined statement above. It could mean (inter alia) either of the following things:

The first is justified but not true; the second is true but not justified. So there is no single belief that is both justified and true; hence the JTB condition is not met. The underlined statement above is really a catch-all formula for (at least) two different beliefs. Smith is not justified in believing the underlined statement simpliciter, as its scope is too wide. He is only justified in believing (1) above - and (1) is false.

But it is neither of your two propositions is that which Smith believes in the example. He merely believes:
[INDENT]The man who will get the job has ten coins in his pocket.
[/INDENT]If you formalize the three propositions you can see that no two of them are identical:
[INDENT]0. The man who will get the job has ten coins in his pocket.
Hm

Hm∧Jm

Hm∧Sm
[/INDENT]The first proposition contains no information about whether the man ("m") is Jones ("Jx") or is Smith ("Sx"). While you are right that (1) is e-justified for Smith and false, and (2) is true but not e-justified for Smith.

And Smith is e-justified in believing (0). I don't understand why you think that he is not. Recall that Gettier stipulated:
[INDENT]Suppose that Smith and Jones have applied for a certain job. And suppose that Smith has strong evidence for the following conjunctive proposition:

1. Jones is the man who will get the job, and Jones has ten coins in his pocket.

Smith's evidence for (d) might be that the president of the company assured him that Jones would in the end be selected, and that he, Smith, had counted the coins in Jones's pocket ten minutes ago. Proposition (d) entails:

1. The man who will get the job has ten coins in his pocket.

Let us suppose that Smith sees the entailment from (d) to (e), and accepts (e) on the grounds of (d), for which he has strong evidence. In this case, Smith is clearly justified in believing that (e) is true.

[/INDENT]It seems clear to me that Smith is e-justified in believing (0).

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/07/2024 at 02:04:11