Absolute Truth is Unobtainable

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Zetherin

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 07:13 pm
@JeffD2,
Kennethamy and ACB,

Did you guys agree on my last post, #107?

If not, what further clarifications do you think we need?

kennethamy

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 07:47 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;71224 wrote:
Not all cases have a referent "truth". That is, "actuality" is contextual; this is the central point I believe we should keep in mind.

An example where referent truth is present:
The capital legislation is exactly what I was referring to in my above post when I mentioned fixed logical systems that define "truth". In the legislation case, we have a record kept that is defined as "truth". Any schmuck with a 2 dollar city map can claim the capital of Ecuador is "Jinglefuck", but he would be wrong as the recorded "truth" of "Quito" is intersubjectively agreed upon. Intersubjective agreement is imperative in this case.

An example where referent truth is not present:
If my wife removed the vase 178 times during her cleaning process, she, in all practicality, wouldn't have kept a record. At work, despite this, I would say I know the vase is on the table. This means that even if my boss asked me at 3:34 if the vase was on the table, and I said "Yes, I know the vase is on the table", without knowing the vase wasn't going to be replaced on the table until 3:35, I would still be content with saying "I know...". This is because for all practical purposes the "know" in this context is a form of probability. The "truth" here is dynamic by it's very nature.

An example where referent truth is present, but "knowledge" is questionable:
A great majority of things we regard as scientific knowledge. The example I gave with Mars may sound farfetched, but I'm confident instances like these have occurred in the past. Particularly, as I noted, the "squaring the circle" problem. But, just to throw the example out there again: If scientists, through our current methods, deem Mars to be made of rock, can we not say this is scientific knowledge? Surely it would have to be intersubjectively agreed upon by scientists. Science is a method, so we do, by definition, have something to reference "truth" by - to a probability. If we regard Mars being made of rock as scientific knowledge, and then the human species discovers Mars is made of playdo 500 years from now, what then? Here we have "knowledge" being questioned and a referent truth present; we have what we at least think to be actuality.

So, when we just say, "Knowledge is JTB (Justified True Belief)", what are we actually saying? Is "truth" being considered from differing contexts?

ABC, please read above as this will also help our conversation.

To answer you, though: The case you brought up would be decided on intersubjective agreement. "Truth", in this case, does have a reference (see my last example), and those who work with the method (whatever science-related field) would come to a conclusion. The conclusion with the most authority we would deem scientific "knowledge".

That person, though, through his own methods (likely to be scientific in nature) has the potential to prove the earth is 6,000 years old. It's possible(not likely) that he could undermine all the research we've done on the aging of this planet and present a new case. If that case became popularized enough, we could deem that "knowledge". Hasn't this how things have always worked?

Besides the innerworkings of one's mind, if one mutters "knowledge", there is justification needed. So, belief, of course, isn't the only necessity. But, keeping in mind, that truth is muddy without clarification.

Since you cannot know what is false, if the vase is not on the table, you cannot know is on the table. It does not matter whether someone takes what you say as implying that it is highly probable the vase is on the table. It does not matter how anyone takes what you say, for when you say that you know that something is true, but it is false, you have said what is false. Know doesn't mean "high probability". "High probability" means, high probability. "Know" means, it is true.

Knowledge implies truth, but truth does not imply knowledge. So, if you know that p, then p is true. But, if p is true, no one need know that p.

I don't think it is "muddy" when it is true that the cat is on the mat. It is true that there is a cat on the mat if, and only if, there is a cat, there is a mat, and the cat has a particular relation to the mat, namely the relation of being on the map. That is pretty clear, it seems to me.

ACB

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 08:00 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;71537 wrote:
Or do you want to say that if I am in checkmate it is not possible for me not to be in checkmate?

If you merely believe or (some would say) know you are in checkmate, then it is possible that you are not. As you point out, 'I am in checkmate' is not a necessary truth. But if you are in checkmate, it is impossible for you not to be. That is a necessary truth, by the law of non-contradiction. It is logically impossible for something to be the case and not the case at the same time. In actual situations there is always some theoretical doubt, but you must be consistent about this; you can't ignore the doubt in one half of a statement ("I am in checkmate", period) and then assert it in the other half ("it is possible for me not to be in checkmate"). Do you see my point?

Quote:
it is possible in two ways that I am in checkmate, but that I am not in checkmate. Don't you agree?

No; that is a simple logical contradiction, and thus necessarily false.

Quote:
Of course, I am not saying that it is possible that p and ~p are consistent. But I am saying that p, and it possible ~p, are consistent.

There is all the difference in the world between, possible p and ~p, and p and possible ~p. In the first, the scope of "possible" ranges over the entire sentence; in the second, the scope of "possible" ranges over only ~p. Thus the first is false, the second is true. Thinking that the first and the second are the same is to commit a modal fallacy. It is to switch the scope of the possibility operator without any reason.

I take "p and possible ~p" to mean that p does apply and ~p may apply. It thus allows for two possibilities: (a) p only, and (b) p and ~p. But (b) is a contradiction.

kennethamy

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 08:18 pm
@ACB,
ACB;71568 wrote:
If you merely believe or (some would say) know you are in checkmate, then it is possible that you are not. As you point out, 'I am in checkmate' is not a necessary truth. But if you are in checkmate, it is impossible for you not to be. That is a necessary truth, by the law of non-contradiction. It is logically impossible for something to be the case and not the case at the same time. In actual situations there is always some theoretical doubt, but you must be consistent about this; you can't ignore the doubt in one half of a statement ("I am in checkmate", period) and then assert it in the other half ("it is possible for me not to be in checkmate"). Do you see my point?

No; that is a simple logical contradiction, and thus necessarily false.

I take "p and possible ~p" to mean that p does apply and ~p may apply. It thus allows for two possibilities: (a) p only, and (b) p and ~p. But (b) is a contradiction.

I have already agreed that it is logically impossible for p and ~p to be true, but if you like I will say it again, take it as said. But that should not be confused with a different statement, namely, it is possible that p, and possible that ~p. For that is obviously true. All that means is that p is true, and that p is a contingent statement and not necessarily true. Thus, it is possible that Quito is the capital and it is possible that Quito is not the capital even if, of course, it is true that Quito is the capital. There is a use of, it is possible that ~p that means, for all I know, ~p. But I am not using it that way. I am using possible ~p simply to mean (for one thing) that ~p is not self-contradictory. And isn't it true that Quito is the capital of Ecuador, and that it is not self-contradictory the Quito is not the capital of Ecuador. It is false that it is not, but it is certainly not self-contradictory, is it?

Whoever

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 04:19 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;71457 wrote:
I don't see why you say that both these propositions define "knowledge" as something I don't know. I have already said that ir I know that p is true, then p is true. I cannot know that p is true unless p is true. I think you would have to say why you say this.

You're quite right to suppose that I'm confusing knowledge with being absolutely certain. If you know that p is true then clearly it cannot be false. If you know it might be false then there is no possibility of you knowing that it is true.

I find your objections odd. Is what you're getting the impossibility of certain knowledge? I've not argued that there can be certain knowledge, only that if there is certain knowledge then it is certain.

Quote:
Why cannot I be right, and therefore know, even if I realize that it is not impossible that I am wrong? So I can know I am right without being certain that I am right.

Because if you know you might be wrong then you don't know that you are right. This seems inarguable. If you think you know you are right when you know you might be wrong, then you'll never be able to distinguish between what you know and what you don't. If you know you might be wrong then this is knowledge.

All you need to say is that true knowledge is absolute certainty, but that most of what people call knowledge is not of this kind.

ACB

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 05:34 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;71579 wrote:
I have already agreed that it is logically impossible for p and ~p to be true, but if you like I will say it again, take it as said. But that should not be confused with a different statement, namely, it is possible that p, and possible that ~p. For that is obviously true. All that means is that p is true, and that p is a contingent statement and not necessarily true. Thus, it is possible that Quito is the capital and it is possible that Quito is not the capital even if, of course, it is true that Quito is the capital. There is a use of, it is possible that ~p that means, for all I know, ~p. But I am not using it that way. I am using possible ~p simply to mean (for one thing) that ~p is not self-contradictory. And isn't it true that Quito is the capital of Ecuador, and that it is not self-contradictory the Quito is not the capital of Ecuador. It is false that it is not, but it is certainly not self-contradictory, is it?

Thanks for your clarification. I now understand that you are not making a logical contradiction. However, I think you are mixing up logical and factual statements.

Logical: It is possible (i.e.non-contradictory) that Quito is the capital of Ecuador, and possible that it is not. Possible p and possible ~p.

Factual: It is highly probable that Quito is the capital of Ecuador, and highly improbable that it is not. Probable p and improbable ~p.

Or alternatively:

Factual: It is (beyond reasonable doubt) true that Quito is the capital of Ecuador, and false that it is not. p and ~(~p).

You cannot consistently derive "p and possible ~p", because that confuses two different things. The "p" describes what is the case (fact), while the "possible ~p" describes what logically could have been the case (as I now understand you to mean). But if we are going to ignore any theoretical doubt when talking about p, we must equally ignore it when talking about ~p. So if we state categorically that p, we must conclude that ~p is (now) impossible. As I said, we must be consistent. (Note that when we are talking about fact rather than logic, "possible" can only mean "maybe true for all I know".)

Alan McDougall

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 07:51 am
@ACB,
ACB;71677 wrote:
Thanks for your clarification. I now understand that you are not making a logical contradiction. However, I think you are mixing up logical and factual statements.

Logical: It is possible (i.e.non-contradictory) that Quito is the capital of Ecuador, and possible that it is not. Possible p and possible ~p.

Factual: It is highly probable that Quito is the capital of Ecuador, and highly improbable that it is not. Probable p and improbable ~p.

Or alternatively:

Factual: It is (beyond reasonable doubt) true that Quito is the capital of Ecuador, and false that it is not. p and ~(~p).

You cannot consistently derive "p and possible ~p", because that confuses two different things. The "p" describes what is the case (fact), while the "possible ~p" describes what logically could have been the case (as I now understand you to mean). But if we are going to ignore any theoretical doubt when talking about p, we must equally ignore it when talking about ~p. So if we state categorically that p, we must conclude that ~p is (now) impossible. As I said, we must be consistent. (Note that when we are talking about fact rather than logic, "possible" can only mean "maybe true for all I know".)

What we observe all around us is really only a fraction of the reality. We are hard wired if you like to perceive only what we need to, in order to survive. A frogs eye only sends messages to its brain if it sees movement.

We perceive more, take the electromagnetic spectrum, our visual cortex and eye observes just a tiny slit

My point is if we see or observe so little how can we ever know absolute truth, in my frail human body it is therefore, unobtainable

http://www.astro.illinois.edu/%7Ejkaler/sow/emspectrum.jpg

richrf

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 07:54 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;71713 wrote:
What we observe all around us is really only a fraction of the reality. We are hard wired if you like to perceive only what we need to, in order to survive. A frogs eye only sends messages to its brain if it sees movement.

We perceive more, take the electromagnetic spectrum, our visual cortex and eye observes just a tiny slit

http://www.astro.illinois.edu/%7Ejkaler/sow/emspectrum.jpg

Yes! There is a lot out there that others may see that we may not. People who others may claim are hallucinating may actually have just a more evolved sensory capacity which is much more sensitive to events around them. The rest of the pack may just not "get it" yet.

Rich

kennethamy

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 08:08 am
@ACB,
ACB;71677 wrote:

Or alternatively:

But, "P is possible" can mean, " P is not self-contradictory", and necessarily, if P is true, then P is not self-contradictory. Isn't that correct? Therefore, Quito is the capital of Ecuador, and P is not self-contradictory (or P is possible) is true. And I am talking about the fact that Quito is the capital of Ecuador, am I not? Of course, I am making a logical point, namely that it it is true that Quito is the capital, then it is possible that Quito is the capital, but I hope that every time I make a logical point, I am not talking about logic. Anyway, that seems to me to be really a trivial verbal issue whether when I make a logical point about facts, I am talking about logic or not. It certainly does not seem relevant to me here.

goapy

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 12:13 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;71564 wrote:
Know doesn't mean "high probability". "High probability" means, high probability. "Know" means, it is true.

kennethamy;71514 wrote:
But why can I not know that p, and it be possible that I am mistaken? No reason that I can see.

If 'knowing that p' isn't probabilistic, then there shouldn't be a possibility of being mistaken - even if p is a contingent proposition. To say:

I know that p

and

Both p and possible ~p

is to conflate the indicative of 'knowing that...' with the counterfactual of the contingent proposition p.

If "know" means it is in fact true, it cannot turn out later to be false. If to know something is to believe something to be true that is in fact true, then to possess knowledge is to possess the truth. The indicative of p - not how p might have been.

richrf

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 12:46 pm
@goapy,
"I know something to be absolutely, positively, without any doubt, incontrovertibly true, but ..... I can be mistaken."

This is what I would call walking a very fine line. Or, another way to put it, is like the proverbial having a cake and eating it.

However, I am open to it. Look Hawkings didn't believe any information could escape a black hole, and quantum mechanics indicates that due to the probabilistic nature of quanta, it is possible, so anything, I guess is possible. Personally, I would be a little uncomfortable with putting things in this way.

Rich

Zetherin

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 02:07 pm
@JeffD2,
Kennethamy wrote:
Since you cannot know what is false, if the vase is not on the table, you cannot know is on the table. It does not matter whether someone takes what you say as implying that it is highly probable the vase is on the table. It does not matter how anyone takes what you say, for when you say that you know that something is true, but it is false, you have said what is false. Know doesn't mean "high probability". "High probability" means, high probability. "Know" means, it is true.

Then "know" can only very limitedly be used. More specifically, those "truths" I've noted to be referent.

Quote:
I don't think it is "muddy" when it is true that the cat is on the mat. It is true that there is a cat on the mat if, and only if, there is a cat, there is a mat, and the cat has a particular relation to the mat, namely the relation of being on the map. That is pretty clear, it seems to me.

Oh, and that seems very unclear to me. "Truth" can be referent, but it doesn't have to be. And when it's not, it becomes an elusive notion with only conceptual clarity. In other words, you can ramble off methods of logic to define the notion, but in real application, it makes no sense! "The cat is on the mat" is not a referent truth usually, especially if no one is there observing the cat. And even if there is someone observing the cat, their testimony could tainted. What defines the truth, "The cat is on the mat"? If there is no reference, there is nothing defining the truth except us conscious observers. This automatically eliminates the application of "knowledge" from most situations involving temporal positioning, like the vase on the table or the cat on the mat. Why would we do this? It seems silly.

It makes absolutely no sense to me to use "knowledge" with the underpinning that it has to be true. "Truth", itself, in many cases, cannot even be verified! Why on earth would we institute such a meaningless, practically unusable term into our language? Wouldn't it make more sense to view "knowledge" as relative, in application with probability, rather than bound by some contextual condition we often times have no verification of?

Or, do you guys just want to toss "knowledge" in with those loving, oh so clear :rolleyes: metaphysical notions? That'd be fun. Let's put "knowledge" right along side "Holy", to the left of "God". Yeah, it looks cute there.

kennethamy

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 02:13 pm
@goapy,
goapy;71792 wrote:
If 'knowing that p' isn't probabilistic, then there shouldn't be a possibility of being mistaken - even if p is a contingent proposition. To say:

I know that p

and

Both p and possible ~p

is to conflate the indicative of 'knowing that...' with the counterfactual of the contingent proposition p.

If "know" means it is in fact true, it cannot turn out later to be false. If to know something is to believe something to be true that is in fact true, then to possess knowledge is to possess the truth. The indicative of p - not how p might have been.

Knowing that p implies that p is true. It does not imply that it is impossible that p should be false. I know that Quito is the capital of Ecuador, since Quito is the capital of Ecuador. But, since that Quito is the capital of Ecuador is not a necessary truth, that Quito is the capital of Ecuador might be false. It just isn't. I did not say that what I know is true might turn out later to be false. That is nonsense. What I said I know to be true might be false. And, of course, as long as what is true is not necessarily true, it might be false. You don't think that every truth is necessarily true, do you?

It is possible that you are confusing the following two statements:

1. Necessarily, if p is true, then p is true.
2. If p is true, then p is necessarily true.

1. is true.
2. is false.

(1) It must be that if Quito is the capital, then Quito is the capital.
(2) If Quito is the capital, then Quito must be the capital.

Again, (1) is true, but (2) is false. (another city in Ecuador might be the capital, even if it is true that Quito is the capital).

ACB

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 03:58 pm
@kennethamy,
Kennethamy - I seem to have been misled by your use of tenses. I think you mean that what you know to be true might now have been false if events had been different. It is true that Quito is the capital of Ecuador, but it was (not is) possible for it to be false. If that is what you mean, then of course I would agree, since we are talking about contingent truths.

Zetherin

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 04:04 pm
@ACB,
ACB;71844 wrote:
Kennethamy - I seem to have been misled by your use of tenses. I think you mean that what you know to be true might now have been false if events had been different. It is true that Quito is the capital of Ecuador, but it was (not is) possible for it to be false. If that is what you mean, then of course I would agree, since we are talking about contingent truths.

If it was false, then how was it ever a "truth" at all? Are we saying that this *thing* cannot be false now, but can be false later?

Having knowledge bound by this "It must be true!" thing, I don't really get (as articulated in my last post).

"Truth" seems to be a metaphor for our desire to know, in many cases.

richrf

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 04:22 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;71845 wrote:
If it was false, then how was it ever a "truth" at all? Are we saying that this *thing* cannot be false now, but can be false later?

Having knowledge bound by this "It must be true!" thing, I don't really get (as articulated in my last post).

"Truth" seems to be a metaphor for our desire to know, in many cases.

Hi,

If someone is bounded by True and False, like a 3rd grade quiz, than you have to pick one or the other, or else get a zero on the test.

As life goes on, and we make mistakes and realize that most things are probabilities (I believe all things), then we replace T and F with, phrases like "I'm pretty sure", or "I think so", or "I am not sure", or even "I am positive", but we all learn that even the "I am positive", can end up being wrong.

So, if someone has a goal to maintain True and False in one's life, while still maintaining some humility about being right all the time, then one could conjure up a definition for Truth that encompasses both attributes - i.e. I am positive I am right but I know that I can be wrong.

From my framework, it is a rather awkward use of the word Truth, in a philosophy forum since Truth has the connotation of certainty, and it is also, I think, awkward in practical life, since if you think you might be wrong, I think it is a good idea to let the other party who you are talking to know this. So, I will say things like I am pretty sure, or not so sure, or something like that to relate that I might be wrong.

But some people, such as George W. Bush, want to present a sense of certainty and resoluteness to the world, and as we witnessed, this has some interesting results. It is a matter of perspective, and observing how different people treat the concept of Truth, I think says a lot about the person's perspective about life in general.

Rich

Zetherin

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 04:45 pm
@JeffD2,
richrf,

I completely agree:

Quote:
As life goes on, and we make mistakes and realize that most things are probabilities (I believe all things), then we replace T and F with, phrases like "I'm pretty sure", or "I think so", or "I am not sure", or even "I am positive", but we all learn that even the "I am positive", can end up being wrong.

If we bound ourselves to this "True" condition, we are binding practicality to a systematic formal logic table! It just won't work!

I feel many feel it their duty to be bound by formal logic, as if it were some sort of holy beacon they must hold in their hand every time they speak. Firstly, logic is a study, not a defined method. It is a study of syllogism (basically, major premise, minor premise, and conclusion), but it's not always easy to find what A or B is to follow C in reality! Simply put, we many times must follow what "sits well". We must not be bound by "logic" (in this sense), we must think practically! Sorry to burst your bubble, guys, but I think contradictions can exist. We see the likes of them now with the single particles we have in multiple locations. Someone bound by logic will tell me, "A cannot be in X location and Y location at the same time!" "It can't logically be possible!" they exasperate almost fanatically, as if this logic thing were "God" itself. Well, to many philosophers it seems to be. But, like gods in the past, we're now starting to defy it.

Practically, most "truths" are probability. You can set up all the formal logic truth tables you want and I'll show you countless incidents where you can't "know" the "truth".

ACB

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 04:48 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;71845 wrote:

I didn't say it was false - I said it was possible (in the past) for it to be (now) false. In other words, in the past the matter had not yet been decided, but now it has.

---------- Post added at 12:05 AM ---------- Previous post was Yesterday at 11:48 PM ----------

Zetherin;71865 wrote:
Someone bound by logic will tell me, "A cannot be in X location and Y location at the same time!"

I wouldn't call that a logical necessity. A logical necessity would be "If A is in X location, then it is not the case that A is not in X location".

Zetherin

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 05:15 pm
@JeffD2,
ACB wrote:
I didn't say it was false - I said it was possible (in the past) for it to be (now) false. In other words, in the past the matter had not yet been decided, but now it has.

I'm sorry, but can you try to clarify - I have no idea what this means.

Quote:
"If A is in X location, then it is not the case that A is not in X location".

The single particle would be in multiple locations, so I guess we could just call all the locations the particle is present X, right?

kennethamy

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 05:49 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;71865 wrote:
richrf,

Practically, most "truths" are probability. You can set up all the formal logic truth tables you want and I'll show you countless incidents where you can't "know" the "truth".

But there is a difference between knowing the truth and the truth. And to say that P is probably true is not to talk about the kind of truth P has (which you seem to think it is) but to talk about the evidence we have that it is true. There are not two kind of truths, probable truths and non-probable truths. What is true is true, and what is not true is not true. And there are truth we know, and truths we do not know. But that has nothing to do with whether or not they are true.

If we know that P is true, then, of course, P is true. But if P is true, we may, or may not know that P is true. So, knowledge implies truth, but truth does not imply knowledge. There have been many truths people did not know were true, and there are, doubtless, now, many truth people do no know are true, and may never know are true. Obviously, it does not follow from the fact that no one knows whether P is true, that P is not true, so from the undoubted fact that you can give examples of propositions no one knows are true, it does not follow that they are not true, nor that it is not probable that they are true.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 12:24:54