Absolute Truth is Unobtainable

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

kennethamy

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 10:17 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;73363 wrote:
I haven't busted out laughing from reading anything on this forum in a while.

Thank you Very Happy

But, come on, kennethamy, you're being like sandpaper here. I'm not going to tell you a little story about sandpaper, but I please ask that you're a *little* less harsh with those you speak with. I'm sure you can see how brash and belittling you're coming off, right?

I don't like slums, and I like people who build slums even less.

Zetherin

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 10:47 am
@JeffD2,
I have a hunch you're speaking metaphorically. (I'm bright, aren't I?)

Care to explain yourself?

kennethamy

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 10:51 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;73372 wrote:
I have a hunch you're speaking metaphorically. (I'm bright, aren't I?)

Care to explain yourself?

Of course. Slums are dirty, disorganized, messes that should not exist; and so is the way some people philosophize (or think they are philosophizing). It is an insult to my intelligence, and to the intelligence of everyone who reads that kind of thing.

Zetherin

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 02:45 pm
@JeffD2,
Guys, if nothing constructive is going to come from leaving this thread open, it may be better to close.

ACB

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 03:15 pm
@Zetherin,
I suggest that all the main contributors to this thread give a one-sentence summary of their position on the proposition "Absolute Truth is Unobtainable". That might bring the differences of opinion into clearer focus.

Whoever

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 05:15 pm
@JeffD2,
My position would be that absolute truth is obtainable.

kennethamy

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 06:03 pm
@ACB,
ACB;73424 wrote:
I suggest that all the main contributors to this thread give a one-sentence summary of their position on the proposition "Absolute Truth is Unobtainable". That might bring the differences of opinion into clearer focus.

I expect that a lot of people mean by "absolute truth" just certainty about what is true, and that has nothing much to do with truth at all, but only with whether or not we can be certain about what is true. And, I don't think that certainty about the truth is possible except in a few instances.

Neil D

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 06:05 pm
@JeffD2,
JeffD2;67228 wrote:

Like I said, inductive reasoning approaches the truth. As time goes on, we as human beings acquire more observations and experiences. If new observations and experiences conform to the current laws of logic, then it is more probable that the current laws of logic are true. On the other hand, if new observations and experiences contradict the current laws of logic, then we must create a new complete and consistent set of logical rules that makes sense of both the new observations and experiences and the old observations and experiences. A newer set of logical laws will obviously be truer than an older set of logical laws. Of course, we don't know what the probability is that the laws of logic are true, because we don't know how many events will take place in time overall. Absolute truth is unobtainable.

There is this thing in physics called "the measurement problem" which seems to defy logic. In an experiment which was to prove how nonsensical the idea of subatomic particles not having any definite state until they are measured(observed)was ended up with a cat that was both dead and alive. Also there is another physics experiment in which a single photon can be in two places at the same time.

In M Theory there are 11 dimensions to every universe, we only are aware of 4, also, M Theory supports the idea of a multiverse, where you have the Bulk in which an infinite number of universes exist, and one universe may have different laws of physics than another, and the logic in one universe may be different than another.

Our experience and our reality defines our logic, and not the other way around...didnt Stephen Hawking say something like "truth is stranger than reality"

The truth is our reality is made of stuff we dont completely understand. A rock at its most fundamental level is either composed of quarks, or preons, we dont know.

I dont know if absolute truth is unobtainable, but it seems to be a work in progress.

Maybe we will only know what we are meant to know, and thats it...its hard to swallow, but who knows what knowledge the future will bring.

Fido

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 09:58 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;73343 wrote:
The question (however you try to obfuscate) is, why would anyone be proud of being incompetent, or proud of anyone who is incompetent (because he is incompetent)?

Have you a reply to that question, or not?

Apparently, you and others think that philosophy is about telling little stories about beavers, telephone booths, and whatever else occurs to you. It isn't.

We are all failures... There are only those who think they are not, and all those who know better...As my dear old dad was wont to say: Never get down on yourself for making a mistake...Mistakes are easy, it is not making mistake which is difficult... So the more we try to do the difficult the more we come face to face with our failings, and while most of us have the ability to see only our good points, everyone else sees us for what we are, so we should at least be humble... I am proud of us for trying, understanding that the greater our efforts and the greater our reach the more profound will be our failures... Those who dare greatly fail greatly, and some time succeed wonderfully...I have many skills...I have rebuilt transmissions, carburators, motors, starters, alternators, and just about everything on a car at one time or another, and usually out of a book having no prior experience...Did I make some mistakes??? Sure, and I tore up a lot of stuff...It is inevitable...Now, I run into some odd job I have never done before, and if it needs doing, and it will help some one, then I presume now that I can do it because I have done so much that once terrified me...Now I am glad you are a perfect speller...I so often write phonetically that it drives me nuts... It must be my brain's default setting...Mind you; I write every day, but I don't think I will ever write so much as I have read, and when I read most of what I read, I was not writing, and did not have time to do much writing... To learn I was using different skills, and perhaps different parts of my brain than when I am trying to reproduce learning...And being older, my life is more hasty.... So Spelling in not an accurate evidence of the quality of my thought...If you cannot see through the errors of spelling you will never appreciate all the errors of thought, or the errors of fact you find on these pages... See beyond the inessential to the essential...

Alan McDougall

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 12:05 am
@JeffD2,
kennethamy

I am glad to read you are such a ubiquitous, complex inscrutable profound person , maybe that is why I find it so hard to understand your profound and deep lack of quintessential courtesy

Fido

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 05:57 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;73543 wrote:
kennethamy

I am glad to read you are such a ubiquitous, complex inscrutable profound person , maybe that is why I find it so hard to understand your profound and deep lack of quintessential courtesy

No one has time for quarrels... Like Anni D. said: we barely have time to react in life, let alone rehearse... Express yourself...And I say that not because I always agree with you, but because it is good for us...Don't let anyone take the fun out of it...

Whoever

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 06:21 am
@JeffD2,
"we barely have time to react in life, let alone rehearse... " What a useful thought.

Fido

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 06:52 am
@Whoever,
Whoever;73609 wrote:
"we barely have time to react in life, let alone rehearse... " What a useful thought.

Defranco has a lot of bon mots...If you think you have time to waste; you don't.... All you have is time, for life is time; but better to waste it later when it is more fun to, and you better realize what you are pessing away...

Alan McDougall

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 01:58 pm
@Fido,
Fido;73613 wrote:
Defranco has a lot of bon mots...If you think you have time to waste; you don't.... All you have is time, for life is time; but better to waste it later when it is more fun to, and you better realize what you are pessing away...

Victim to his dentist!!

"Do you promise to pull the tooth the whole tooth and nothing but the tooth so help you God
"

kennethamy

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 03:12 pm
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;73727 wrote:
Victim to his dentist!!

"Do you promise to pull the tooth the whole tooth and nothing but the tooth so help you God
"

Seven year olds are bound to find this hilarious.

Alan McDougall

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 08:33 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;73747 wrote:
Seven year olds are bound to find this hilarious.

That is exactly why I knew you would respond, but you have and will ever not reach that level of understanding and sadly you never will

kennethamy

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 08:36 pm
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;73833 wrote:
That is exactly why I knew you would respond, but you have and will ever not reach that level of understanding and sadly you never will

Of a seven year old? Well, you obviously have. Congratulations.

Alan McDougall

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 10:22 pm
@JeffD2,
kennethamy

I am sick and tired of your hurtful stupid remarks for I now have to use the ignore button on you, but before that I will make a collection of your silly inputs and report them

Goodby you reprobate

Theaetetus

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 10:36 pm
@JeffD2,
I am closing this thread because it no longer serves a purpose other than for members to insult other members. Come on guys, try and play nice.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 07/26/2024 at 09:07:13