Absolute Truth is Unobtainable

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Alan McDougall

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 10:56 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;72337 wrote:
Well, there just might be another explanation. Some people tend to say silly things because they think it them profound. In fact, they think them profound in direct proportion to their silliness. As a consequence, other people think they should point out how silly these things are, lest other people actually think that those silly things are true. So, they post objections. Now, the people who post those silly things resent these objections because somehow they believe that objections are offensive just because they are objections. And they also find argument offensive because they find is very hard to follow or produce and argument. But the history of philosophy is a history of thrust and parry, for in that way, truth can best come out. And those who cannot thrust and parry had better take up another hobby. There are all kind of forums for pleasant agreement. Try meditation. That's placid.

Now you are patronising me, I know the difference between heated debating and outright ugly insulting and you know what I meant!

kennethamy

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 11:04 pm
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;72363 wrote:
Now you are patronising me, I know the difference between heated debating and outright ugly insulting and you know what I meant!

I often find it hard to know what you mean, if anything at all.

Alan McDougall

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 11:52 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;72364 wrote:
I often find it hard to know what you mean, if anything at all.

You know what if you do not like me, heck guy ignore me. Anyway I am not going to take the bate go fish in another pond

Whoever

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 04:07 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;72337 wrote:
Well, there just might be another explanation. Some people tend to say silly things because they think it them profound. In fact, they think them profound in direct proportion to their silliness. As a consequence, other people think they should point out how silly these things are, lest other people actually think that those silly things are true. So, they post objections. Now, the people who post those silly things resent these objections because somehow they believe that objections are offensive just because they are objections. And they also find argument offensive because they find is very hard to follow or produce and argument. But the history of philosophy is a history of thrust and parry, for in that way, truth can best come out. And those who cannot thrust and parry had better take up another hobby. There are all kind of forums for pleasant agreement. Try meditation. That's placid.

Can't disagree with this, and it's a good point about objections. If we aren't prepared to face up to the objections than our philosophical views will ossify into a collection of temperamental opinions. Bradley hits the nail on the head when he calls metaphysics 'an antidote to dogmatic superstition.' It's only this if we're prepared to take the medicine.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 08:02 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;72374 wrote:
You know what if you do not like me, heck guy ignore me. Anyway I am not going to take the bate go fish in another pond

"bait" But you obviously don't like the fish you find here. They are hard to catch, and you don't like to be contested. You want them to jump right into your boat.

Fido

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 04:38 pm
@JeffD2,
Al... If yer going fishing, try TNT... They'll jump right in the boat if you still have a boat... Cyanide works too... They will be coming to the surface begging for a glass of fresh air... They probably think we are so smart, with our plastic worms and all...

Alan McDougall

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 05:00 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;72436 wrote:
"bait" But you obviously don't like the fish you find here. They are hard to catch, and you don't like to be contested. You want them to jump right into your boat.

Heck I have sinned against man and God I wrote bate instead of "Bait"

I am curious, do you ever make spelling mistakes like i seldom do?

I can count all my friends on one fingre Oh!! figner i mean Finger, is that write or is it carrect?

Fido

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 05:22 pm
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;72559 wrote:

I can count all my friends on one fingre Oh!! figner i mean Finger, is that write or is it carrect?

If mispelling is a mortal sin; that explains the fix I'm in, the way I smell and why I'm on way to hell.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 05:46 pm
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;72559 wrote:

No sin at all. Just thought he would like to be corrected so he would not misspell "bait" in the future. I make a number of spelling mistakes, but I try to correct them before I make them. Also, mistakes of grammar, like, "Like I seldom do". "As I seldom do" is grammatical.

Alan McDougall

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 01:36 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;72566 wrote:
No sin at all. Just thought he would like to be corrected so he would not misspell "bait" in the future. I make a number of spelling mistakes, but I try to correct them before I make them. Also, mistakes of grammar, like, "Like I seldom do". "As I seldom do" is grammatical.

I appreciate that :bigsmile:,I think it was Thomas Jefferson who once said "anyone can spell correctly but it takes a man of enormous talent to spell creatively like I do.

"I write like I talk" most of us use unnecessary adjectives in speaking don't we? not always in correct good grammar, sorry for that!

Bernard Shaw of Pigmalian, said English should be ritten like it is spoke. He said English should become a phonetic, "foonetic" language and I agree. Look at the word phlegm, why cant we spell it like it sounds "flem" or rondezvous, shound be "rondavoo"

In other word I am in good company even this great man was an appalling speller Smile

Fido

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 06:29 am
@Alan McDougall,
Language is a form of relationship, like every other...It is not all one way... Perfection is not required of either side, in the relationship of language, or any other... If the relationship is real, people keep on trying... And, in a sense at least, I agree with Shaw; not about spelling but talking...Most folks talk well enough, and can express ideas coherently... Yet, when they sit down before a piece of paper, or a computer screen, they panic... What do you want to say??? Say it... Then revise... The page is my psychoanylist, and having seen what I have written, I know my growth... But I hope perfection is never required, because I avoid it...People remember your words better if you screw them up... If you mess up, and I ask what you dided; you might understand my point...It stll may present a problem that needs fixation, but no claim to perfection is being made... We are in this together...It is our problem...

kennethamy

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 09:19 am
@Fido,
Fido;73003 wrote:
Language is a form of relationship, like every other...It is not all one way... Perfection is not required of either side, in the relationship of language, or any other... If the relationship is real, people keep on trying... And, in a sense at least, I agree with Shaw; not about spelling but talking...Most folks talk well enough, and can express ideas coherently... Yet, when they sit down before a piece of paper, or a computer screen, they panic... What do you want to say??? Say it... Then revise... The page is my psychoanylist, and having seen what I have written, I know my growth... But I hope perfection is never required, because I avoid it...People remember your words better if you screw them up... If you mess up, and I ask what you dided; you might understand my point...It stll may present a problem that needs fixation, but no claim to perfection is being made... We are in this together...It is our problem...

Very sweet. But what his it to do with the topic of the thread?

---------- Post added at 11:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 AM ----------

Alan McDougall;72964 wrote:
I appreciate that :bigsmile:,I think it was Thomas Jefferson who once said "anyone can spell correctly but it takes a man of enormous talent to spell creatively like I do.

"I write like I talk" most of us use unnecessary adjectives in speaking don't we? not always in correct good grammar, sorry for that!

Bernard Shaw of Pigmalian, said English should be ritten like it is spoke. He said English should become a phonetic, "foonetic" language and I agree. Look at the word phlegm, why cant we spell it like it sounds "flem" or rondezvous, shound be "rondavoo"

In other word I am in good company even this great man was an appalling speller Smile

You mean that you are proud of not being able to speak grammatically, or being a bad speller? And that you are glad others are like that too?

Fido

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 03:45 pm
@kennethamy,
Quote:

kennethamy;73034 wrote:
Very sweet. But what his it to do with the topic of the thread?

It was a reply specifically to Alan... But if you must know, and perhaps do; language is a terrible vehicle for truth...Expression, and body language tells the truth better than people do with their words...So; perhaps the second intention is the first intention... As long as we are talking we are not killing each other...
[QUOTE]
---------- Post added at 11:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 AM ----------

You mean that you are proud of not being able to speak grammatically, or being a bad speller? And that you are glad others are like that too?

[/quote][/COLOR]
If he isn't proud, I am proud for him... Only Allah is perfect and he is playing his card close to his vest... I got to deal with the ones that will lay them on the table...

Alan McDougall

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 07:43 pm
@Fido,
Fido;73144 wrote:
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
If he isn't proud, I am proud for him... Only Allah is perfect and he is playing his card close to his vest... I got to deal with the ones that will lay them on the table...

Fido no matter how hard we try it becomes impossible for some people to be friendly.

kennethamy, keep posting but my attempt to be friendly with you stops here

kennethamy

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 07:45 pm
@Fido,
Fido;73144 wrote:
[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Why would you be proud of him because only Allah (or whoever) is perfect? You mean that if he were stupid, you would be even more proud of him, so that the more things he is unable to do, the prouder you are of him? Is this a tenet of some Middle-Eastern religion, that the more incompetent you are the prouder you should be? That explains a lot.

Alan McDougall

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 09:12 pm
@JeffD2,
It is so hard to try and communicate with a lamp post that just wants to trade insults with you and prove how clever it is and how really stupid you are!!!!!!

Fido this is not directed at you!!

Aedes

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 09:16 pm
@JeffD2,
Come on guys, take a breath and play nice.

Fido

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 09:33 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;73213 wrote:
Why would you be proud of him because only Allah (or whoever) is perfect? You mean that if he were stupid, you would be even more proud of him, so that the more things he is unable to do, the prouder you are of him? Is this a tenet of some Middle-Eastern religion, that the more incompetent you are the prouder you should be? That explains a lot.

The race does not always go to the wise, the swift, or the guy with a gift... From my perspective, it helps to never give up, ever... I worked for a bruiser once... I had a run in with this guy that started quite innocently, and ended with me losing my job... But I might have gotten my butt beat to boot... This is all to introduce this story of the said Bruiser: Hacksaw Smitty... Some Union BA told Smitty he wasn't going to man his job once; and Smitty said: If you don't do it; I'll put it up with pimps and whores... It is something you learn...Impediments stop some people, but there are some people who find their way around, over, or under them...And speaking of doing the impossible... I walked into a large office trailer with that man, and in no time flat he had transformed it into a phone booth...There was not enough room for both of us...So ya, if he tries to communicate He has my support... The P word is my jinx word... Good enough is good enough...

---------- Post added at 11:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 PM ----------

Alan McDougall;73236 wrote:
It is so hard to try and communicate with a lamp post that just wants to trade insults with you and prove how clever it is and how really stupid you are!!!!!!

Fido this is not directed at you!!

One of my buddies once pointed out to me that you never see dead beavers stuck under trees in the woods... The reason is simple... They never cut trees down, but chew on them till they get wobbly and let the wind finish them off.... Don't become frustrated; but nibble away at it, what ever it may be, and if you are correct then at some point the force of truth will lay a finger on the beam...It is an infinite game.

kennethamy

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 08:17 am
@Fido,
Fido;73247 wrote:
The race does not always go to the wise, the swift, or the guy with a gift... From my perspective, it helps to never give up, ever... I worked for a bruiser once... I had a run in with this guy that started quite innocently, and ended with me losing my job... But I might have gotten my butt beat to boot... This is all to introduce this story of the said Bruiser: Hacksaw Smitty... Some Union BA told Smitty he wasn't going to man his job once; and Smitty said: If you don't do it; I'll put it up with pimps and whores... It is something you learn...Impediments stop some people, but there are some people who find their way around, over, or under them...And speaking of doing the impossible... I walked into a large office trailer with that man, and in no time flat he had transformed it into a phone booth...There was not enough room for both of us...So ya, if he tries to communicate He has my support... The P word is my jinx word... Good enough is good enough...

---------- Post added at 11:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 PM ----------

One of my buddies once pointed out to me that you never see dead beavers stuck under trees in the woods... The reason is simple... They never cut trees down, but chew on them till they get wobbly and let the wind finish them off.... Don't become frustrated; but nibble away at it, what ever it may be, and if you are correct then at some point the force of truth will lay a finger on the beam...It is an infinite game.

The question (however you try to obfuscate) is, why would anyone be proud of being incompetent, or proud of anyone who is incompetent (because he is incompetent)?

Have you a reply to that question, or not?

Apparently, you and others think that philosophy is about telling little stories about beavers, telephone booths, and whatever else occurs to you. It isn't.

Zetherin

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 10:05 am
@JeffD2,
kennethamy wrote:
Apparently, you and others think that philosophy is about telling little stories about beavers, telephone booths, and whatever else occurs to you.

I haven't busted out laughing from reading anything on this forum in a while.

Thank you Very Happy

But, come on, kennethamy, you're being like sandpaper here. I'm not going to tell you a little story about sandpaper, but I please ask that you're a *little* less harsh with those you speak with. I'm sure you can see how brash and belittling you're coming off, right?

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 12:14:34